HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Oceanic Servers Are REALLY Broken

Community

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Glothrenite

Glothrenite

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationSt Kilda, Australia

Posted September 13 2013 - 01:59 AM

This is a great game.

And its failing .. at least it is in my region.

There is hardly anyone playing .. because there is hardly anyone playing.  Sounds redundant I know but thats how it is.  

I log on to play its 6:00pm Friday evening, I'm level 23 or something and there is one server open with 10 players.  I can't join because my level is too high. wtf_  I look at the USA servers and join the only siege game available for me to join.  My ping is really poor and my play experience is not especially enjoyable especially considering that there are players in my region playing just fine.

While playing on the USA server i see many players with similar pings to my own 240-400 and i wonder if they are Oceanic players (or even other regions) in exactly the same position I'm in.

I arrange to wait it out in an open game with a friend and finally after about 30 mins one other person joins .. 2 vs 1 .. pretty lame .. eventually 2 others join 3 v 2 .. just as lame.  At this point my friend, disheartened with the whole game decides to do something else and I find myself totally dissatisfied and wondering why in the hell is it so hard to get a game going_

Suggestions

- Please get rid of the server region selection aspect of your match making setup IT DOES NOT WORK, instead simply put all of your servers into one list and allow 'order by' columns so we can order by ping/players.  This way people will 'naturally' gravitate to servers where they have a better ping.

- Put the game on Steam.  I don't care about the whys and hows, if you put it the game on steam people will populate your servers.  Maybe I'll get a game then.

- Allow game mode rotation on your servers.

- Widen the level restriction, there simply are not enough players for you to be so anal about 'fair'

- Make a chat lobby for the 'region' so we can at least be somewhere to congregate.

- If you won't do any of these things then at least let people display their preferred play region somehow.

- And ffs please hurry up with the clan support.

This game has such potential...
Posted Image

#2 gwynbleidd7263

gwynbleidd7263

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted September 13 2013 - 02:06 AM

Im lucky to live in the us but I agree steam would do a world of good.
Posted ImageLoud feet reap what's sown
    Fluttering birds fly unseen
  Your screams were cut short
    Your severed tongue is tribute
  To cultivated silence.     --Reaper "Severed Tongue"

#3 tropt

tropt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
  • LocationAustralia, Perth

Posted September 13 2013 - 02:42 AM

Im in oceania.
Add me to your friend list if you want, i'm always looking for local brothers & sisters to play against. Also lvl 30.
We actually just played a couple of games in the last hour.

Love all your suggestions.
Shooting myself, for damage perks

#4 EMEUTIER

EMEUTIER

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • LocationNSW, Australia

Posted September 13 2013 - 03:21 AM

Well said gloth.
Posted Image

#5 machineinput

machineinput

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationSydney NSW

Posted September 16 2013 - 11:05 PM

Yeah my ping kills me every now and then and now that we aint getting the good NBN it seems as though it needs some work :{

I have to switch to US to play a match ;/
Posted Image

#6 Krellus

Krellus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted September 19 2013 - 12:11 AM

hopefully things will get better with the hotfix coming - 8 level diff allowed, and i think player skill (mmr_) back in the rating mix, which should help lower and avg mmr find matches, at least (good for me!).

Edited by Krellus, September 19 2013 - 12:12 AM.

#7 ArnieF4440

ArnieF4440

Muscles

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,198 posts
  • LocationDown Under/invading US west servers

Posted September 19 2013 - 12:36 AM

+1, Haven't seen you around in ages Gloth
Posted Image
Me: Youtube | Drop Bears
Guides: Hawken Tips and Tricks | Fraps + Compression | Lag + Gaming
Rig: i7-920 + H50 | MSI X58A-GD45 | Corsair Dominator 12GB | 2x EVGA GTX 660TI SC+ 3GB | OCZ Vertex 2 120GB | Corsair HX1000 | CM HAF932

#8 Metalforces

Metalforces

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted January 26 2014 - 06:50 PM

the servers are still not working I can only join us and asia servers which have horrible ping 250-350 why is this taking so long_. Also please add me im always looking aussie kiwi players to game with

#9 Bazookagofer

Bazookagofer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted January 26 2014 - 07:25 PM

Server and game issues I noticed were never ADH strong point to be honest...

Posted Image "If at first you do not succeed... reload"

#10 WantokHero

WantokHero

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted January 27 2014 - 12:19 AM

Love the game but sick of +300 ping and all the hit losses that go with it.
I try the Oceanic servers every time I log on but for last four days(multiple tickets in but no action) could not get on any of them.
The developers are cutting their own throats commercially  if they do not fix this. The US player base is large but they need the world stage to make money.
Simple fix single list sorted by ping then grade Plenty of players will go with the lowest ping and b***er the rank.
I live in hope as I love the game.
Good gaming to all

#11 Kvalheim

Kvalheim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted January 27 2014 - 02:11 AM

Seems to be a common problem with a lot of F2P games I've played. I'm EU personally, but Oceania is just always the first server to go empty.
Posted Image

<HKN://Sig-Process-01023 END

#12 Metalforces

Metalforces

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted January 27 2014 - 11:23 PM

a estimate of a date and time when we could hope to play on oceanic servers would be a start of support for the oceanic region

#13 Metalforces

Metalforces

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted January 27 2014 - 11:35 PM

View PostKvalheim, on January 27 2014 - 02:11 AM, said:

Seems to be a common problem with a lot of F2P games I've played. I'm EU personally, but Oceania is just always the first server to go empty.
so you if you watch the servers at the time your on just remember very different time zones in our morning you lovely eu people should be sleeping while we aussies and kiwi's are go going to our workplace

#14 Cannonaire

Cannonaire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • LocationUSW

Posted January 28 2014 - 01:20 AM

View PostGlothrenite, on September 13 2013 - 01:59 AM, said:

Suggestions

- Please get rid of the server region selection aspect of your match making setup IT DOES NOT WORK, instead simply put all of your servers into one list and allow 'order by' columns so we can order by ping/players.  This way people will 'naturally' gravitate to servers where they have a better ping.

Server region select DOES WORK, and I am elated that USE and USW are being separated again. Ideally, players should be able to use Quickmatch to find servers in their ideal skill range with low ping. I would much rather be able to select my region once and let the game do the rest rather than having to play "Server Refresh: The Game" as I do now. It is better for the majority of players when everyone has incentive to use a working matchmaking system.

The problem right now is that the player population of the Oceania region is either too low, or the players feel it is too low to try matchmaking on it. I agree that something needs to be done, but forcing everyone to look for a server with a decent ping manually, every time, solely to accommodate players in a lower-population region is not the answer.

Possible solutions:

- There could be an info window on the main screen to show how many players there are from each region; that way players would be better able to see if they will be able to find an ideal match in their region or not.

- The server browser could list servers by ping, leaving region-select as a factor in Quickmatch. The problem with this option is that, while it gives each individual player more choice, anything involving the server browser takes away incentive for players to find their ideal game with Quickmatch.

- Maybe you could select an ideal region, or - better yet - the game would do a ping test in order to find which server regions are best for you. You could then click on Quickmatch and it would place you in the best server available. Even with a system like this in place, I would only like it if I also had the option to wait a bit longer and only connect to servers in my preferred (or lowest-ping) region.

Pertinent information:

During the last episode of TheCockPit, [HWK]HUGHES mentioned something about wanting to take away region selection and put all players into a single pool (as a long-term goal) - and at the same time add ping as a matchmaking factor. (Feel free to correct me on this if my information is incorrect, but this is how I understood what he said.)

This is a subtly different idea from what I suggested with enormous consequences:

An exceptional player can be rendered near-useless on a high-ping server. For example, a player who can land an ability-enhanced Sabot and Slug round every single time because of skill and practice would suddenly be unable to hit anything moving faster than a walking Brawler without taking extra time to compensate for lag.

From a non-competition standpoint, a lot of players who have fun on low-ping servers have a terrible, frustrating time playing on high-ping servers. This is a problem for everyone regardless of region, though it is much more severe for those in areas with low player population. As I said before, if every player were to be placed in the same matchmaking pool, I would at the very least want the option to wait longer and only join games in my region.

It is my firm belief that if it is at all likely that a player can find a match (via Quickmatch) in the ideal region for them, that is where the system should put them. If that is just not possible, the next best thing would be for Quickmatch to put that player in the lowest-latency region where they can get a match.

TL;DR I agree it's broken. There are, however, better solutions than removing region selection.

*Edit: Grammar/Spelling/TL;DR*

Edited by Cannonaire, January 28 2014 - 01:25 AM.

Cannonaire - Think millionaire, but with cannons.
HC/MC Calculator (thread) UPDATED 2013/12/21

#15 StatikPulse

StatikPulse

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted January 28 2014 - 05:52 AM

Kiwi lvl30 reporting in. I've pretty much had an average of 250+ping since I first started playing. Fingers crossed I'll be death incarnate when I can finally play an Oceanic server :D

#16 Metalforces

Metalforces

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted January 31 2014 - 03:07 PM

oceanic servers back up and running

#17 WantokHero

WantokHero

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted February 01 2014 - 05:17 AM

no servers on oceanic area this morning, not sure if they have canned them

#18 Metalforces

Metalforces

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted February 01 2014 - 05:44 PM

I had no problem getting in all the oceanic servers yesterday but today we are back to the same problem I've asked my community to support it and they are happy to try out the game but only on oceanic servers.For us Australians and people from New Zealand to join another would 300 ping or more that's not fun for any of us

#19 Glothrenite

Glothrenite

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationSt Kilda, Australia

Posted February 04 2014 - 09:35 PM

Hawken coming to steam... thank fu.ck someone has heard our cries of frustration!
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Community

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users