HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

C-class artillery mech_

• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

#41 burns1124

burns1124

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 700 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY

Posted October 23 2013 - 07:18 AM

Why isn't this in the Suggestions forum_  GD is for discussion of the current game, bitching about what people think is OP/UP, match balance "iQuit" threads, and wild speculation on patch notes.

I know Ropefish just wants to top the post count but do we really need to feed these threads that are obviously mis-posted_

On topic:
Spoiler

A heavy Artillery style C was in development in Alpha/CB, but I believe it never got much headway.  Long-Range, projectile based, explosive damage weaponry is already in the game.  Heat Grenadier can achieve this with practice.  If Hawken were to make a real MIRV style weapon, that fired from long range and then dispersed into smaller warheads to cover an area, I would be interested in seeing how it was implemented, and balanced, but it's going to be one hell of a skill shot, and with the current meta, would be sorely disadvantaged when it got jumped by a bunch of Flak wielding Scouts/Raiders.

A dual hitscan C class with what passes as sniper weaponry_  No thanks, Hawken has enough hitscan heroes.

SS/Reaper make sense, this does not.

#42 ArccBR

ArccBR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts
  • LocationBrazil (-3 GMT)

Posted October 23 2013 - 07:55 AM

View Postdeeman010, on October 23 2013 - 06:58 AM, said:

View PostArccBR, on October 23 2013 - 06:29 AM, said:

>long range
>mini flak

U wat m8_

Who are you replying to_

Don_Veritas.

Posted Image

Digital Revolution Clan Member [.:DRev:.]

Join the Revolution HERE!

#43 ShadowWarg

ShadowWarg

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,384 posts
  • LocationIn the shadows behind you

Posted October 23 2013 - 10:01 AM

View Postburns1124, on October 23 2013 - 07:18 AM, said:

Why isn't this in the Suggestions forum_  GD is for discussion of the current game, bitching about what people think is OP/UP, match balance "iQuit" threads, and wild speculation on patch notes.

I know Ropefish just wants to top the post count but do we really need to feed these threads that are obviously mis-posted_

On topic:
Spoiler

A heavy Artillery style C was in development in Alpha/CB, but I believe it never got much headway.  Long-Range, projectile based, explosive damage weaponry is already in the game.  Heat Grenadier can achieve this with practice.  If Hawken were to make a real MIRV style weapon, that fired from long range and then dispersed into smaller warheads to cover an area, I would be interested in seeing how it was implemented, and balanced, but it's going to be one hell of a skill shot, and with the current meta, would be sorely disadvantaged when it got jumped by a bunch of Flak wielding Scouts/Raiders.

A dual hitscan C class with what passes as sniper weaponry_  No thanks, Hawken has enough hitscan heroes.

Heat doesn't have the splash needed to pull off an artillery shot (personally I think the heat need a splash buff). The Corsair's RPG mode is the closest thing to artillery imo. I would ask more about the alpha artillery mech, but i almost forgot that alpha players are under nda.

Edited by ShadowWarg, October 23 2013 - 10:01 AM.

#44 ThirdEyE

ThirdEyE

Moderator 007

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 607 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted October 23 2013 - 11:16 AM

The alpha NDA was lifted when the game transitioned into beta stages iirc.  I think the artillery mech was only ever in development and never actually released, but I could be wrong as I wasn't very active during alpha since my mobo died the same week I was invited :'(

Also a C-class sniper is unnecessary as the B-class SS is already effective enough, and there wouldn't be a reasonable tradeoff between damage/survivability/mobility.  The artillery chassis needs to be put back on the development table!  I would love to see something along the lines of a Tribes-esque Fusion Mortar.

Edited by ThirdEyE, October 23 2013 - 11:20 AM.

Posted Image

Offering coaching on all mechs, maps, and gametypes, PM if interested.

Violent Resolution - http://vr-gaming.org/

Hawken IRC - #hawkenscrim

#45 UnDeaD_CyBorG

UnDeaD_CyBorG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted October 23 2013 - 11:17 AM

I think there are some decent suggestions for Artillery weapons (shameless self-advertising).
But yeah, the Corsair on a Heavy would do in a pinch.
But then we'd need a new primary.
How about a Snowflake Holo Emote_

If an enemy fires on me, intent to take my life, I can fight back, or I can turn and flee.
But if a "friendly" tech comes by, intent to take my dignity, I can do nothing.

#46 Sylhiri

Sylhiri

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,135 posts

Posted October 23 2013 - 11:22 AM

View PostThirdEyE, on October 23 2013 - 11:16 AM, said:

The alpha NDA was lifted when the game transitioned into beta stages iirc.

No it wasn't, lol

[13:14] <nonsiccus_work> uh oh

there's gravy in my keyboard

----------------------------------------------------------------------

[11:18] <+shosca> if you wanna play ar, go play zerker
[11:18] <Hyginos> and if you want to play zerker, go smc
[11:19] <someone> if you want to play sustain, please go and die in hell

#47 ThirdEyE

ThirdEyE

Moderator 007

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 607 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted October 23 2013 - 11:25 AM

View PostSylhiri, on October 23 2013 - 11:22 AM, said:

View PostThirdEyE, on October 23 2013 - 11:16 AM, said:

The alpha NDA was lifted when the game transitioned into beta stages iirc.

No it wasn't, lol

Hmm must have been a different game's alpha/beta then.

View PostUnDeaD_CyBorG, on October 23 2013 - 11:17 AM, said:

I think there are some decent suggestions for Artillery weapons (shameless self-advertising).
But yeah, the Corsair on a Heavy would do in a pinch.
But then we'd need a new primary.

I've suggested Corsair on a new C-class for a while now, as I think it fits the style of a heavier chassis perfectly.

There have been a few good weapon concepts on the suggestion forum, such as a twin-barrel projectile cannon or a burst rifle.
Posted Image

#48 ropefish

ropefish

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,309 posts
  • Locationfuzzybunny you, ima cat now (~o-o)~

Posted October 23 2013 - 11:30 AM

View Postburns1124, on October 23 2013 - 07:18 AM, said:

On topic:
Spoiler

sorry about posting it in GD :P

also i guess hit scan wouldnt be good, but what about a rail gun like weapon_
"I find that there are those who will hang themselves if you give them enough rope, and that there are those who will provide their own rope. "
-VocalMagic           Croin//illal's wildlife

View PostDaPheel, on October 26 2013 - 01:05 AM, said:

You don't nuke Ropefish : ROPEFISH NUKES YOU!

#49 Drewscriver

Drewscriver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted October 23 2013 - 12:38 PM

Corsair on a C class would create an OP mech. Think of a brawler without Flak + Corsair....Slow, but would be super deadly.

#50 Komodo_Saurian

Komodo_Saurian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 672 posts

Posted October 23 2013 - 12:51 PM

I quite like that some roles are only available to two classes out of three.

I don't think a sniper C-class will work, but having a heavy mech with a ranged weapon that can actually hit an elephant's ass from five feet away aside from Hawkins would be nice.

SMC -> AR -> Slug + TOW for example.

Edited by Komodo_Saurian, October 23 2013 - 12:53 PM.

Someone important said:

Ego stroking quote.
- Distracting banner.
- Obligatory PC spec boasting, 'cause I'm rich.
- Shameless self-promotion links.
- Sneak a peak into every second stream voiceover ever.

#51 ropefish

ropefish

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,309 posts

Posted October 23 2013 - 12:54 PM

View PostKomodo_Saurian, on October 23 2013 - 12:51 PM, said:

I quite like that some roles are only available to two classes out of three.

I don't think a sniper C-class will work, but having a heavy mech with a ranged weapon that can actually hit an elephant's ass from five feet away aside from Hawkins would be nice.

SMC -> AR -> Slug + TOW for example.
i re-edited the the main page, changed stuff around a bit too, so its less of a sniper and more of an artillery mech :D
"I find that there are those who will hang themselves if you give them enough rope, and that there are those who will provide their own rope. "

#52 ThirdEyE

ThirdEyE

Moderator 007

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 607 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted October 23 2013 - 12:59 PM

View PostDrewscriver, on October 23 2013 - 12:38 PM, said:

Slow, but would be super deadly.

Shouldn't that be how C-classes are perceived_  Why would a lighter chassis wield equal or greater firepower than a much larger and slower chassis_  Durability only goes so far as a tradeoff for mobility.
Posted Image

#53 ShadowWarg

ShadowWarg

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,384 posts

Posted October 23 2013 - 01:05 PM

View PostDrewscriver, on October 23 2013 - 12:38 PM, said:

Corsair on a C class would create an OP mech. Think of a brawler without Flak + Corsair....Slow, but would be super deadly.

Actually, a brawler with a Corsair sounds more balanced than the current brawler we have now. (the current one sucks) I think It fits better on the slow brawler

Edited by ShadowWarg, October 23 2013 - 01:06 PM.

#54 ropefish

ropefish

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,309 posts

Posted October 23 2013 - 01:15 PM

View Postropefish, on October 23 2013 - 12:54 PM, said:

i re-edited the the main page, changed stuff around a bit too, so its less of a sniper and more of an artillery mech :D
*COUGH* *COUGH*

Edited by ropefish, October 23 2013 - 01:16 PM.

#55 Sylhiri

Sylhiri

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,135 posts

Posted October 23 2013 - 01:28 PM

View PostThirdEyE, on October 23 2013 - 12:59 PM, said:

Shouldn't that be how C-classes are perceived_  Why would a lighter chassis wield equal or greater firepower than a much larger and slower chassis_  Durability only goes so far as a tradeoff for mobility.

The tradeoff would be fair if it was balanced. They would need to make the C class a lot slower if they gave it more powerful weapons. Right now they gave 3/4 of the C classes better mobility but gave almost all mechs an increase in health for what I can only think as roflbalance. Turret mode still sucks, sucks less but still sucks overall.

#56 ropefish

ropefish

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,309 posts

Posted October 23 2013 - 01:30 PM

View PostSylhiri, on October 23 2013 - 01:28 PM, said:

View PostThirdEyE, on October 23 2013 - 12:59 PM, said:

The tradeoff would be fair if it was balanced. They would need to make the C class a lot slower if they gave it more powerful weapons. Right now they gave 3/4 of the C classes better mobility but gave almost all mechs an increase in health for what I can only think as roflbalance. Turret mode still sucks, sucks less but still sucks overall.
Turret mode is basically a death sentence now :P O how i miss thy golden days

#57 Sylhiri

Sylhiri

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,135 posts

Posted October 23 2013 - 01:34 PM

View Postropefish, on October 23 2013 - 01:30 PM, said:

It's not much different from back then, just more defense in the front.

#58 ropefish

ropefish

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,309 posts

Posted October 23 2013 - 01:38 PM

View PostSylhiri, on October 23 2013 - 01:34 PM, said:

i hope the devs pull  a miracle, i can't play the "flying rocketeer" at all o-o
pls make turret mode better O dev gods V-V

#59 BLTasty

BLTasty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • LocationSmall Town next to a REALLY big city

Posted October 23 2013 - 01:55 PM

It would be interesting - a sniper or an artillery style mech- due to the opportunity to change the way we perceive turret mode - or deem it necessary for future c class mechs at all. i could see a suppression fire style sniper c mech down the road as it has an opportunity to deal damage on a choke point but lacks the mobility to evade heavy targeting making it a team mech, like any eccentric mech would need to be.

With the introduction of the Technician's d-buff weapon I'd be curious to see if such types of weapons will be implemented on different mechs to provide that variation that will be necessary down the line.

In the case of an artillery i could definitely see a debuff be an affective counter to straight damage as what makes the weapon useful is how it is implemented with the team rather than simply how effective it kills. I would love to see a map awareness type of mech though, someone with an ability to scan for movement over a greater distance in turret mode for example. which could then be complimented by a heavy artillery, a heavy c brawler with technician in tow, and finally a light and a medium to pick up stragglers. yea - that would be sweet.

But before we would get artillery c's i would think it may be necessary to implement larger maps as the maps currently are designed to focus on the style of combat that the game excels at - close range brawling type game-play.

#60 ShadowWarg

ShadowWarg

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,384 posts

Posted October 23 2013 - 02:21 PM

View PostSylhiri, on October 23 2013 - 01:34 PM, said:

That's why I feel a turret mode that isn't centered around a defense but rather offense with shoulder cannons or what not (that are fire linked to the secondary or overwrite your primary and secondary fire) is an interesting idea. An artillery mech is naturally (assuming) a long range mech so it makes sense to plop down into turret mode behind your allies and lay down cover fire from a distance. Sure you could do this with the gren but the gren's projectile move to slow and aren't precise enough for this to be really effective. That why most gren pilots (I am one) fight a mid range rather than long.

On a side note: I really don't think the C's need the rear damage increase for turret mode, even the vanguard, because they move so slow , have a slow turn speed and can not dodge, which is one of the key factors to saying alive.

My rendition just for fun:
Spoiler

YAY! THIS MARKS 1234 POST! TIME FOR PIE!

Edited by ShadowWarg, October 23 2013 - 03:07 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users