HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Friendly fire, the poll.

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

Poll: Friendly fire (and team kills) (150 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you want it_

1. Yes! (51 votes [34.00%])

Percentage of vote: 34.00%

2. No! (79 votes [52.67%])

Percentage of vote: 52.67%

3. Arg! (20 votes [13.33%])

Percentage of vote: 13.33%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 M4st0d0n

M4st0d0n

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 770 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted October 24 2013 - 05:25 PM

"Beautiful day on Illal. You're quietly walking beneath the trees of the last eco, avoiding any radar blip. Suddenly a puppy team mate comes to you and start to pee a yellow leash on you while boosting around you. You shoot an EMP to calm the young, but he comes back, jumping all over your head.

Next drop you're about to defend a base on the old bazaar. The fight is desperate, you have to rush in the chockepoints and die to get the anti-air, but the rest of your team are snipers mechs taking potshots and staying in cover. There too, EMP is not enough...

You've played to the point of no return where you want this nonsense of this game lacking friendly fire to stop. Hawken is casual, with long time to kill and there's free healing in form of yellow orb or showers everywhere AND there's no FF. There's no TK. I want it to stop."

This entry log, clearly written by a mad pilot, was recovered on the smoking carcass of a rocketeer. Ballistic experts confirmed he shoot himself on the foot till the death. This self friendly fire is apparently allowed with no device preventing it except partially with some internals you'll find in the garage. Did he died in vain_ Would the game be a bit more strategic and would it force more teamplay, or would it be a disaster for fun_ Do you think friendly fire could be good in Hawken_ Yes for FF_ Or No_ Or maybe you're a pirate_

#2 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted October 24 2013 - 05:29 PM

Well, we've friendly fire already.. at least partially, from friendly explosives... Just my 2 cents for now.

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#3 Umbre

Umbre

Cat/Xeno Hybrid

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts
  • LocationVictoria, Canada

Posted October 24 2013 - 05:32 PM

View PostThe_Silencer, on October 24 2013 - 05:29 PM, said:

Well, we've friendly fire already.. at least partially, from friendly explosives... Just my 2 cents for now.

No.. no we don't. Only your own explosives can harm you, not your teammates'.

#4 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted October 24 2013 - 05:33 PM

View PostUmbre, on October 24 2013 - 05:32 PM, said:

View PostThe_Silencer, on October 24 2013 - 05:29 PM, said:

No.. no we don't. Only your own explosives can harm you, not your teammates'.

Really_ :D

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#5 M4st0d0n

M4st0d0n

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 770 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted October 24 2013 - 05:56 PM

Yes I wanted to start this poll because some past EU Fightclub we tried 2 vs 2 in a DM server and it was weird but interesting. Friendly fire is in the more common sense of damage inflicted to players from the same team, forcing teammates to avoid some position, like boosting in the middle of a suppression fire or jumping in front of a team mate to steal his kill. But it can be very frustrating and need to be penalized with some mechanics.

#6 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted October 24 2013 - 06:01 PM

... Would be interesting to see what happens with bullets based friendly fire on; indeed.

P.S. @Umbre: For instance.. grenades and detonators, dude. Yes_

Posted Image

#7 PhysicsCrime

PhysicsCrime

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted October 24 2013 - 06:06 PM

That would probably cause severe problems in this game.  Mechs are big and it's easy to accidently get in the way of friendly fire.

#8 tropt

tropt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
  • LocationAustralia, Perth

Posted October 24 2013 - 06:08 PM

Play in a DM server with team mates against another team of players.
You get friendly fire and it's awesome fun.
Shooting myself, for damage perks

#9 M4st0d0n

M4st0d0n

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 770 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted October 24 2013 - 06:17 PM

View Posttropt, on October 24 2013 - 06:08 PM, said:

Play in a DM server with team mates against another team of players.
You get friendly fire and it's awesome fun.

Yes but wich team wins at the end of the match_ Adapting DM is clunky, needs cooperative mates. And UI makes it weird.

Edited by M4st0d0n, October 24 2013 - 06:18 PM.

#10 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted October 24 2013 - 06:24 PM

It's not that I'm very interested on this topic, to tell you the truth, I'm afraid. Or at least not something I'd like to have in the game a.s.a.p. But I find this idea to be somehow interesting. It definitely might change the scene down there onthe battlefield. Although it would not be a "real" priority I've to admit that this would be interesting as a setting in the future. At least for the most purist players of this game.

This reminds me of those WWII matches we played in several old games with one rifle and one grenade only... Good 'Ol times, indeed. :)

P.S. BTW, one more option for the poll would be good idea.. something like.. -> Hmmm..

Posted Image

#11 tropt

tropt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted October 24 2013 - 06:26 PM

View PostM4st0d0n, on October 24 2013 - 06:17 PM, said:

Yes but wich team wins at the end of the match_

Count the points from your team mates and compare.

Adapting DM is clunky, needs cooperative mates. And UI makes it weird.

Yer, it's not perfect. But it does werk and it's fun. It encourages teamplay and co-operation and everyone has a laugh.

Just offering a friendly fire suggestion is all. Give it a go, see what u think.

#12 M4st0d0n

M4st0d0n

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 770 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted October 24 2013 - 07:22 PM

View Posttropt, on October 24 2013 - 06:26 PM, said:

Yes but wich team wins at the end of the match_

Count the points from your team mates and compare.

Adapting DM is clunky, needs cooperative mates. And UI makes it weird.

Yer, it's not perfect. But it does werk and it's fun. It encourages teamplay and co-operation and everyone has a laugh.

Just offering a friendly fire suggestion is all. Give it a go, see what u think.

And you can add teamkills then_ No that's not that simple. We played 2 vs 2 with FF in this manner, easy to track the score, but having white for team and red for enemies would be even better when there's 12 mech on the dancefloor.

Beside I think it could actually be a good mode on a competitive level. Suppession fire and team coordination could be more needed and meaningfull.

Edited by M4st0d0n, October 24 2013 - 07:25 PM.

#13 Culex

Culex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted October 24 2013 - 07:24 PM

Umm The_Silencer_ Where have you been, lol. Maybe it's time to play the game more and the forums less. No disrespect. :)

I am matter... I am antimatter... I can see your past... I can see your future...

I consume time... And I will consume you!
Posted Image

#14 tropt

tropt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted October 24 2013 - 07:27 PM

View PostM4st0d0n, on October 24 2013 - 07:22 PM, said:

And you can add teamkills then_ No that's not that simple. We played 2 vs 2 with FF in this manner, easy to track the score, but having white for team and red for enemies would be even better when there's 12 mech on the dancefloor.

Agree, it's pretty clumsy and impossible with large teams. We've not played it for the wins, just for the funs and with small teams (3 vs 3)

An official friendly fire gameplay mode would be ace, i reckon.

#15 Analysis

Analysis

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted October 24 2013 - 08:40 PM

I'm surprised so many people in the poll don't want friendly fire. If friendly fire was implemented mech blobs would probably disappear and a more tactical shooter would emerge.

#16 Culex

Culex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted October 24 2013 - 09:14 PM

View PostAnalysis, on October 24 2013 - 08:40 PM, said:

I'm surprised so many people in the poll don't want friendly fire. If friendly fire was implemented mech blobs would probably disappear and a more tactical shooter would emerge.

That would make the game a heck of a lot more interesting. Also, this could entail stealing heals from enemy techs by getting in the between them and their channel-healed target, lol.

At the very least, I'd like to see it be an option one day you can check when we have the ability to have our own private servers.

I am matter... I am antimatter... I can see your past... I can see your future...

I consume time... And I will consume you!
Posted Image

#17 Spliff_Craven

Spliff_Craven

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted October 24 2013 - 11:04 PM

Friendly Fire but only on conditions...

Friendly fire only on designated servers:

FFSG = Friendly Fire Siege
FFTDM = Friendly Fire Team Deathmatch
FFMA = Friendly Fire Missile Assault

Or make it a vote before match... Let the players decide when the match starts and show an indicator in the server browser {FF on/off}.

I personally have explored this using a team of 12 on a Deathmatch server. It was a blast!
Bloody hard to keep track of who's on your team and there were no negatives for killing someone on your "team" or doing damage to them as it falls under DM rules at the moment.

By all means bring on the Friendly Fire!

#18 Ysenberg

Ysenberg

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted October 25 2013 - 12:29 AM

Hi guys!

Yes, i vote in the favour of friendly fire.
But let me add a little stipulation there: The player who actually shoots a teammate should be penalized by getting the damage he causes subtracted from the overall positive damagecount. If he or she kills a friendly, a "teamkiller"-tag should be applied for said person on the momentary server for at least 2 more matches and the HC-earnings from the momentary match should be forfit.

The idea behind this is plain and simple - force people to a little bit of self-control and awareness of their surroundings.
I know it sounds pretty harsh to deal with the matter like this, but there are always some people who don't give a flying shite about other teammembers, as long as their own numbers are ok.
Game-objectives anyone_

Oh, and I know there will be rogue teams or single players that don't care about any penalties only to grief the game of others. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt.
For those (easy to follow with a consecutive "teamkiller-flag") the game should simply end after the 3rd teamkill.

best regards from the land of twofold equality

Ysen

Edited by Ysenberg, October 25 2013 - 12:30 AM.

[font=times new roman', times, serif]O Lord, bless this Thy holy grenade that with it Thou mayest blow Thine enemies to tiny bits, in Thy mercy.[/font]

[font=times new roman', times, serif]  Grenadiers do it around the corner...^^ [/font][font=comic sans ms', cursive]W[/font][font=comic sans ms', cursive]andering guns #103: [font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Ysenberg[/font][/font]

#19 nlspeed

nlspeed

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationFederalised Union of Europa, Provincia Netherlandia

Posted October 25 2013 - 03:22 AM

No, no, no. And definitely not what Ysenberg suggested. There's just so many things wrong with that...

'A little self control'_ Two guys are fighting against another, first guy is almost dead (a dozen HP or so left) and turns around to retreat, boosts into the path of the second guy, and bam, he's team killer, say goodbye to anything you did in this match because it's all gone now anyway. The second guy is better off leaving than staying.

How can you even suggest this idea, especially in a game of prolonged firefights with strategy, tactics, retreating, flanking...

#20 zaepp

zaepp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • LocationGet to da AA!

Posted October 25 2013 - 03:37 AM

I think for competitive/organized play "friendly fire" is an interesting option.

But not for pugs.

I would like to see "no respawn" TDM, too. Whichever team wins three rounds first wins the match. Would also solve the respawn/regroup-problem.

Edited by zaepp, October 25 2013 - 03:37 AM.

It's just the trees Johnny, just the trees ... (Unknown pilot after his first TDM on Last Eco)

Adapt or GTFO! (Unknown pilot after Steam FUBAR)

Enlist for competitive FarmVille today!  

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users