HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Friendly fire, the poll.

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

Poll: Friendly fire (and team kills) (150 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you want it_

1. Yes! (51 votes [34.00%])

Percentage of vote: 34.00%

2. No! (79 votes [52.67%])

Percentage of vote: 52.67%

3. Arg! (20 votes [13.33%])

Percentage of vote: 13.33%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Ysenberg

Ysenberg

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted October 25 2013 - 04:25 AM

you said it yourself, nlspeed:

[font=play, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]especially in a game of prolonged firefights with strategy, tactics, retreating, flanking... [/font]
This game is about tactics and positioning. Speed is a factor too. But nevertheless you oughtta know what you do and where you hit on. This includes firing in a specific direction^^
To keep a cool head in a firefight is a quality that's rather seldom.
All the better to have it rewarded like this.

Ysen

[font=times new roman', times, serif]O Lord, bless this Thy holy grenade that with it Thou mayest blow Thine enemies to tiny bits, in Thy mercy.[/font]

[font=times new roman', times, serif]  Grenadiers do it around the corner...^^ [/font][font=comic sans ms', cursive]W[/font][font=comic sans ms', cursive]andering guns #103: [font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Ysenberg[/font][/font]

#22 nlspeed

nlspeed

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationFederalised Union of Europa, Provincia Netherlandia

Posted October 25 2013 - 04:45 AM

But you aren't rewarding it. You're punishing those who do it correctly, who can't do anything about the faults of the other, and said other isn't punished.

And no, precisely because engagements last quite long, there shouldn't be friendly fire.

#23 M4st0d0n

M4st0d0n

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 770 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted October 25 2013 - 05:30 AM

Long time to kill doesnt promote accidental team kill, I think. I could imagine someone messing in a duel between two CQC fighters and dealing a doublekill final blow with splash damage on the duelists. In this case, if you penalize the team kill with a negative value on the kill count, it doesnt even impact the team score : +1 for killing an enemy, -1 for killing a teammate.

I'm starting to think friendly fire could somehow make chockepoints in uptown a little bit less painfull to play in and somehow dilute the deathball strategy.

#24 DaPheel

DaPheel

EXPLOSIONS_

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,787 posts
  • LocationU.K.

Posted October 25 2013 - 05:46 AM

I like the Idea, Mastodon - but I think my grenade spam might make games a little crazy! :D
Posted Image"OFFICIAL SHIELD BEARER"
Spoiler

#25 M4st0d0n

M4st0d0n

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 770 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted October 25 2013 - 05:50 AM

View PostDaPheel, on October 25 2013 - 05:46 AM, said:

I like the Idea, Mastodon - but I think my grenade spam might make games a little crazy! :D

Shield bearer and grenade spammer. With the right hand he giveth, with the left hand he taketh away!

Edited by M4st0d0n, October 25 2013 - 05:51 AM.

#26 Astrolis

Astrolis

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted October 25 2013 - 05:52 AM

I would like to see a hardcore mode.

Limited Radar
High Weapon DMG (for non lock on weapons)
NO red box targeting
FF ON (Teams would be colored in some fashion to determine friend from foe at greater distances.)
Limited repair capability
Slower Fuel Regeneration
Increased Weapon Heating
Limited HUD (HP, Fuel, NO Friendly Markers at great distances, only up close)
And OFC A vote to Kick option for those people that FF on purpose. (Would require 2/3rd vote from entire team.)

The point would be extremely team based gameplay with a priority on accuracy and map/situation awareness (something that I feel most games lack, most games as in games not filled with Alpha/Beta veterans)

Would be available to high ranking pilots only(Based on MMR/Pilot level and maybe Pilot stats). (or EXTREME MM parameters to prevent pros vs noobs. and I mean EXTREMELY EXTREMELY strict parameters)

Just an idea, not perfect OFC. Thoughts_

Edited by Astrolis, October 25 2013 - 02:36 PM.

Posted Image

#27 Ysenberg

Ysenberg

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted October 25 2013 - 01:27 PM

I like your idea, Astrolis.

Though i would never make it there if you depend the access on the stats.
I think i'm a pretty decent pilot, but the nature of my grenadier's supportive role would not permit me to go hardcore.
I say: make it a matter of choice instead.
The mode would separate the boys from the men anyway^^

@DaPheel: I know your pain, bro... We'd simply have to change our tactics and watch out for friendlies before we spam the rest^^
On the other hand: nobody would want to play the meatshield for us any longer :P
Technicians would think twice before leaving us alone in the middle of the battle and they would finally come to know their place. *grins*
Right behind the biggies B) (Just kidding of course - Technicians are people too...i think_)

best regards

Ysen

Edited by Ysenberg, October 25 2013 - 01:28 PM.

[font=times new roman', times, serif]O Lord, bless this Thy holy grenade that with it Thou mayest blow Thine enemies to tiny bits, in Thy mercy.[/font]

[font=times new roman', times, serif]  Grenadiers do it around the corner...^^ [/font][font=comic sans ms', cursive]W[/font][font=comic sans ms', cursive]andering guns #103: [font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Ysenberg[/font][/font]

#28 Dinre

Dinre

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted October 25 2013 - 02:06 PM

I don't want FF all the time, but I want the option to turn it on.  It would definitely change the roles and require more communication.

Posted Image

#29 T_Bot

T_Bot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted October 26 2013 - 06:25 AM

If they could change the server rules, maybe have server with FF and some without FF. So everybody has his preferred rules.

#30 RedVan

RedVan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,250 posts

Posted October 26 2013 - 06:46 AM

Game is too close combat with too much ez mode splash weaponry to have FF.

#31 UnDeaD_CyBorG

UnDeaD_CyBorG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted October 26 2013 - 06:54 AM

I definitely want FF.
Even if it's just 50%, maybe with negative points associated with it.
I've had matches where the same guy dodged into my TOW three times in a row, making me eat self damage.
I've had times (quite often, even) where someone catched an entire salvo of Hellfires two seconds after I shot them, and the follow up EOC.
And I've had a match a few days ago where after 5 minutes I had taken significantly more damage from my own shells exploding in my face because someone randomly boosted or dodged in my face than than from the enemy.
And I had a Failsafe.

Also, it would allow me to shoo those annoying techs away that ruin my every victory with their plain presence.
How about a Snowflake Holo Emote_

If an enemy fires on me, intent to take my life, I can fight back, or I can turn and flee.
But if a "friendly" tech comes by, intent to take my dignity, I can do nothing.

#32 M4st0d0n

M4st0d0n

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 770 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted October 26 2013 - 07:10 AM

#33 Bazookagofer

Bazookagofer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted October 26 2013 - 02:08 PM

I could see a google amount of ways to go wrong.

Posted Image "If at first you do not succeed... reload"

#34 RedVan

RedVan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,250 posts

Posted October 26 2013 - 02:42 PM

View PostM4st0d0n, on October 26 2013 - 07:10 AM, said:

I'm just a little curious what your point is with this post. I'm guessing it's something down the line of "look, even duck hunt had FF, so why not hawken_"

But I desperately hope not. Or at least I hope it's a joke.

#35 M4st0d0n

M4st0d0n

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 770 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted October 26 2013 - 05:47 PM

It's a joke. Duck Hunt didnt had friendly fire. The dog was insolently laughing and bulletproof.

Jesus I'm old. I try reference jokes on forums with young gentlemen who wont even get it.

I come from a secular time where you had to play obscure and not well known games to fulfill your dream of shooting dogs in a videogame.

Posted Image

Edited by M4st0d0n, October 26 2013 - 06:33 PM.

#36 RedVan

RedVan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,250 posts

Posted October 26 2013 - 08:15 PM

View PostM4st0d0n, on October 26 2013 - 05:47 PM, said:

It's a joke. Duck Hunt didnt had friendly fire. The dog was insolently laughing and bulletproof.

Jesus I'm old. I try reference jokes on forums with young gentlemen who wont even get it.

I come from a secular time where you had to play obscure and not well known games to fulfill your dream of shooting dogs in a videogame.

Posted Image

Because I don't have duck hunt memorized, therefore I am young

Lovin the logic here!

#37 ropefish

ropefish

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,309 posts
  • Locationfuzzybunny you, ima cat now (~o-o)~

Posted October 26 2013 - 08:23 PM

FF is a double edge sword and an iffy thing for a game both bad and good

im not going to list why as it would take a LONGGGGGGGGGG time :P
"I find that there are those who will hang themselves if you give them enough rope, and that there are those who will provide their own rope. "
-VocalMagic           Croin//illal's wildlife

View PostDaPheel, on October 26 2013 - 01:05 AM, said:

You don't nuke Ropefish : ROPEFISH NUKES YOU!

#38 Dinre

Dinre

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted October 26 2013 - 08:31 PM

Posted Image

I think everyone who played Duck Hunt with an actual NES (and not an emulator) absolutely HATED THAT DOG!  I think we all blew our extra shots on that furry mug when he sat there making fun of us.

And those dogs in Wolfenstein terrified me.

Posted Image

#39 M4st0d0n

M4st0d0n

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 770 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted October 27 2013 - 06:04 AM

View PostRedVan, on October 26 2013 - 08:15 PM, said:

Posted Image

Because I don't have duck hunt memorized, therefore I am young

Lovin the logic here!

Just pointing out you were wrong about friendly fire in Duck Hunt and trying to explain the joke to you.

I love your logic too, because every argument you put against the sole idea of trying FF as a gamemode is in fact promoting the idea. Clusterfuqs, if a matter of map design, could be made harder with FF. Splash damage, you qualify yourself as EZ, could be made more tactical with FF.

I've searched the forum about friendly fire threads and it definetely hasnt been longly discussed and broadly rejected. This very poll is a proof of it.

Beside, your point about Hawken being mainly based on CQC is just plain wrong. There's one third of the mech classes designed to deal damage at long range. Once again, Hawken's devs are trying to put more depth in this game. It's clunky but it's beta. The fact that the current meta of the game is promoting CQC doesnt make your point true in term of design, so please cut off the fuzzy bunny about saying that it was always like that so it must be like that forever.

Just put yourself together a little bit before criticizing other's logic. Now I'm done with you.

#40 RedVan

RedVan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,250 posts

Posted October 27 2013 - 06:26 AM

It was discussed probably long before you were around.

Anyway, go read my posts in the other thread. My points do not support FF

Also:  I cannot be "wrong" about your duck hunt post, as I never claimed what you were trying to express. I simply questioned what your point is. Comprehension, it's a skill.

Edited by RedVan, October 27 2013 - 06:28 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users