HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Friendly fire, the poll.

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

Poll: Friendly fire (and team kills) (150 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you want it_

1. Yes! (51 votes [34.00%])

Percentage of vote: 34.00%

2. No! (79 votes [52.67%])

Percentage of vote: 52.67%

3. Arg! (20 votes [13.33%])

Percentage of vote: 13.33%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 M4st0d0n

M4st0d0n

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 770 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted October 27 2013 - 06:34 AM

Find me the old threads about it on the forum then, so at least we could read the ideas of those who left the game and are not here to discuss it anymore.

That's the problem with you. You're so righteous you cannot be wrong. It's impossible for you to even comprehend that.

#42 RedVan

RedVan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,250 posts

Posted October 27 2013 - 07:18 AM

View PostM4st0d0n, on October 27 2013 - 06:34 AM, said:

Find me the old threads about it on the forum then, so at least we could read the ideas of those who left the game and are not here to discuss it anymore.

That's the problem with you. You're so righteous you cannot be wrong. It's impossible for you to even comprehend that.

The oldest recorded thread regarding it had all the same ideas. These threads are just a rehash of something that's never been considered a good idea.

And it has nothing to do with "righteousness", it has to do with knowing how the game works and knowing what won't work.

Arguments:
1. FF will punish people who jump in front of me to try to take a kill i was working on

Why are people worried about KS in a team game_

Also, the main argument of FF being to "punish" those who dodge out in front of you while firing. Then it's said that "FF would mean people need to watch their shots, to avoid damaging their own team". However, as we all know, you have no control over when someone is going to dodge in front of you, thus making the whole "watch your shot" argument invalid. That's the biggest pro-FF argument flushed down the toilet.

If this doesn't make sense to you, the argument for FF is placing the blame on those who dodge in front of your shot, then the solution is placing the expectation on the poor soul who was simply taking a shot. Even with FF, people will still dodge in front of you. But you sure as hell better have 0.000 response time to react to it. Because if you don't, you are wrong. FF is here to make people think about the shots they are taking amirite!

2.  FF will reduce mech clusters

Mech clusters being primarily the result of map design will not be affected because FF will not change map design

Mech collisions are also a negative aspect of clusters, often getting people killed who cannot retreat fast enough, and this hasn't reduced clusters. Why would one think FF will_

3.  If my teammates die by my hand, it effectively reduces clusters.

So do you want to win because the other team is stupid and keeps damaging their own team_  Or do you want to win because you had skill and were able to kill them w/o their help_

Or do you want to lose because your teammates keep jumping in front of you and getting killed twice as fast due to getting hit from both sides_

Or do you want the winners and losers to be decided by who actually did better at damaging the other team_

4. FF will make the game more "hard core" for comp play.

Clusters already have severe negative aspects such as reduced maneuverability, multiple mech damage by enemy fire, damaging yourself from shooting your team. Competent players recognize this and already factor it in to their play. When we do have high level comp play, FF will be a moot point because most teams are going to already have strategies to prevent the negatives the clustering already provides. So saying it will make comp play more interesting is quite incorrect as players at that level have already corrected for anything FF would add.

#43 Dinre

Dinre

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted October 27 2013 - 08:24 AM

Come on, folks.  Take a breath.  Arguing superiority of opinion is a never-ending argument.

Personally, I am still in favor of experimenting with FF.  FF can dramatically change the strategy and tactics of a game.  The variety may be very interesting, and that is the point, I think.  Why not try turning FF on for some servers and let people test the results instead of theorizing about whether or not it would be terrible/awesome_  Actual data speaks volumes more than predictions.

Posted Image

#44 M4st0d0n

M4st0d0n

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 770 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted October 27 2013 - 05:49 PM

I'm not arguing on anything or trying to make any point. It's a poll. Self proclaimed Hawken's expert here just couldnt get a joke and wanted to talk about logic. Now he's reciting old threads you cant find on the forum, by heart. I'm amazed.

#45 Spliff_Craven

Spliff_Craven

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted October 27 2013 - 09:36 PM

Keep it on topic and no personal quips... The dev's will shut this thread down in a heartbeat. I had it happen to me when a certain A**H**E trolled my forum... Don't let it happen here.

#46 RedVan

RedVan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,250 posts

Posted October 28 2013 - 04:13 AM

View PostM4st0d0n, on October 27 2013 - 05:49 PM, said:

I'm not arguing on anything or trying to make any point. It's a poll. Self proclaimed Hawken's expert here just couldnt get a joke and wanted to talk about logic. Now he's reciting old threads you cant find on the forum, by heart. I'm amazed.

The extent of your argument for FF revolves around personal insults and inadequacy to use a search feature.

At least I'm capable of making legitimate points as to why FF is bad.

Do you really think people should vote in a poll while being uneducated on the subject_

Edited by RedVan, October 28 2013 - 04:15 AM.

#47 KusoNeko

KusoNeko

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted October 28 2013 - 08:04 AM

I think it's fine the way it is. It would be really hard to NOT to hit eachother when everyone is a big bulky mech.

Not to say that the idea is bad though, it could be fun. Maybe it could be an alternative game type
"TDM Elite" or something of the like, without repair orbs while they're at it.

View Postzaepp, on October 25 2013 - 03:37 AM, said:

I would like to see "no respawn" TDM, too. Whichever team wins three rounds first wins the match. Would also solve the respawn/regroup-problem.

That would be really nice as well. It could also be an aditional game mode. "Arena" or something.
Posted Image

#48 Dinre

Dinre

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted October 28 2013 - 08:34 AM

I like the idea of an "elite" mode with friendly fire, no orbs, and no respawn.  The only problem I can think of is that it might start to feel suspiciously like MechWarrior: Online unless something else is added into the game mode.  Maybe it would be fun on giant 64-player servers with lots of vertical structures to break long-distance line of sight...

Posted Image

#49 RedVan

RedVan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,250 posts

Posted October 28 2013 - 03:10 PM

FF as a mode would be alright IMO. But not as the primary mode which they balance around. And should certainly work on far more important features like clan support, user rentable servers, servers that actually work... Etc... Before bothering with a FF option.

#50 dorobo

dorobo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
  • LocationLegion

Posted October 29 2013 - 01:35 AM

There were threads about this earlier..people were very negative about it back then. Just for the sake of experiment I would love to see what happens with FF ON :)

#51 hoghead

hoghead

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 766 posts
  • LocationShow Me State

Posted October 29 2013 - 05:51 AM

Played a match awhile back we were losing really bad ..happens... any way had one player on our team was pouting and saying he wasn't gonna play with us any more cus we suck ,but instead of leaving, because he  didn't want to lose some kind of standing, he just stood and watched us get slaughtered instead of help. After I respawned a couple times, you had to pass by this guy, I know I shouldn't have..... I turned around and shot him in the face with a tow. We lost but I felt better. :unsure:

#52 Spliff_Craven

Spliff_Craven

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted October 30 2013 - 06:49 PM

View Posthoghead, on October 29 2013 - 05:51 AM, said:

Played a match awhile back we were losing really bad ..happens... any way had one player on our team was pouting and saying he wasn't gonna play with us any more cus we suck ,but instead of leaving, because he  didn't want to lose some kind of standing, he just stood and watched us get slaughtered instead of help. After I respawned a couple times, you had to pass by this guy, I know I shouldn't have..... I turned around and shot him in the face with a tow. We lost but I felt better. :unsure:
I'd have done the same thing...

#53 SkyNetSystem

SkyNetSystem

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted November 06 2013 - 03:10 PM

Friendly Fire is an interesting option, BUT it could also get a interesting option for the so called "trolls", so implementing it could create the possibility of killing the own team on purpose...

#54 BoompigXD

BoompigXD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted April 06 2014 - 06:54 AM

This is an absolutely terribad idea. This would just make teamkillers out of everybody. People stealing their friends EU. People stealing Health Orbs. People accidently killing each other in a firefight. People teamkilling for the sake of trolling. There are so many things wrong with this, and i will NEVER support this.

Posted Image

#55 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted April 06 2014 - 07:03 AM

Interesting and not so interesting at the same time. A Class mechs -thus those mechs with lower health bars in the game- would probably not like this realistic game mode so much as the OP might expect... insta-kills would be pretty nasty, to say the least and after a brief glance on this possibility.

Just my 2 cents.

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#56 MarNoahCus

MarNoahCus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted April 06 2014 - 09:57 AM

I have to say Argh!

Yes it would make gameplay more interesting. It would enhance tactical play. And it would make you watch that triggerfinger even more.

But... As other people suggested, In Teamplay it is one story. In Coop games or even low ranked siege or missile games it's a whole different ballgame. Besides... I don't pilot a sniper class... i pilot a rocketeer... Argh! Argh! and Argh! FF would be really hard to avoid with all the friendlies always boosting into my lof. I am absolutely fine with the fact that i pilot a support mech and thus don't get as many kills as other people might. But i send serious damage downrange and if some teammate, wich happens veeeery often, happens to cros my lof i become a badguy fast. I mean IRL you don't walk infront of a soldier who is about to fire a TOW do you_ My missiles are slow as fuzz... and whereas you can just stop shooting with your chaingun when you see a teammate cross your lof you really cant stop your missiles in flight. So that would put Grenadiers and Rocketeers at a pretty big disadvantage.

Thats my 2 cents on the topic. Might be that i am way off but... I have to say ... cons still outweigh the pros imo.

MarNoahCus Out!!!
"And shepherds we shall be, For Thee, my Lord, for Thee.
Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command.
So we shall flow a river forth to Thee. And teeming with souls shall it ever be.
In nomine Patris et Filii et Spiritus Sancti." (The Boondock Saints)

Posted Image

#57 kanamisan

kanamisan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted April 06 2014 - 10:48 AM

actully I would hate ff, there is a tactic I have learned where you can use teammates to detonate explosave weapons (especaly ones you cant detonate manualy, like the redux) losing that is kinda annoying for me.

#58 BoompigXD

BoompigXD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted April 06 2014 - 11:00 AM

View Postkanamisan, on April 06 2014 - 10:48 AM, said:

actully I would hate ff, there is a tactic I have learned where you can use teammates to detonate explosave weapons (especaly ones you cant detonate manualy, like the redux) losing that is kinda annoying for me.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#59 LeeHarveyOz

LeeHarveyOz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted April 09 2014 - 02:19 PM

It's a pretty bad idea.

#60 Granddaddypurp