HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Sustain Weapons with AoE

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 draco7891

draco7891

El Tigre

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts
  • LocationCA, USA

Posted December 13 2013 - 11:05 AM

The thought occurred to me while replying to the other thread, but it doesn't really belong in that discussion.

A great deal of the utility that burst weapons enjoy is promulgated not just on their DPS and range, but also on their ability for AoE damage (especially HEAT and EOC and most secondaries).

So, why are there no sustain weapons with measurably useful AoE_ The closest than I can think of now is the Rev-GL, but that's really much more about the burst. Such an addition might provide some relief from any aiming issues some might have, as well as providing sustain with some additional utility/suppression capabilities to help deal with corner play.

Most probably any weapon so equipped should have a relatively small splash radius, leaving large AoE the domain of burst weapons.

Draco

#2 Sylhiri

Sylhiri

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,135 posts

Posted December 13 2013 - 11:15 AM

Most sustain weapons are hitscan, I'm guessing that is a big factor in why they don't have AoE.

Edited by Sylhiri, December 13 2013 - 11:15 AM.

[13:14] <nonsiccus_work> uh oh

there's gravy in my keyboard

----------------------------------------------------------------------

[11:18] <+shosca> if you wanna play ar, go play zerker
[11:18] <Hyginos> and if you want to play zerker, go smc
[11:19] <someone> if you want to play sustain, please go and die in hell

#3 Nvain

Nvain

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted December 13 2013 - 11:29 AM

View Postdraco7891, on December 13 2013 - 11:05 AM, said:

Such an addition might provide some relief from any aiming issues some might have, as well as providing sustain with some additional utility/suppression capabilities to help deal with corner play.
A hitscan sustained-fire weapon with AOE_ No thank you :P Aiming issues should typically arise more often with burst weapons as you can't adapt aiming while you fire, like you can, for example, with the Vulcan or SMG.
I think that sustained fire weapons could perhaps have a little less spread overall, that's it. The Vulcan could also use a little less spin-up time and be reworked so that it doesn't start spinning-up every time you click the fire button - but that's a bit off-topic.
Sustained-fire AOE would be too powerful in my opinion.

#4 Leonhardt

Leonhardt

Rawr

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted December 13 2013 - 11:35 AM

A mini-gun that shoots explosive projectiles with tiny AoE_ Could be interesting depending on how it works. Almost like a mini-heat cannon except no charging and the projectiles move at slow speed_

Idk ideas like that are always interesting I have no idea how it would play out in game.

Posted Image

#5 Super_Pickle

Super_Pickle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted December 13 2013 - 12:21 PM

I'd much rather trade in the vulcan for a AoE sustain weapon on my bezerker. Even if it has less dps and is more difficult to hit, it'd still be better. Splash is like easy mode. You don't have to be perfect with your aim to hit targets. That means you're doing a lot more dps than a sustain weapon that misses half the shots.

I support this idea. It would be nice to have an AoE sustain weapon. There are already way too many classes with assult rifle sub machine gun and vulcan. We need some better alternatives.
Spoiler

#6 draco7891

draco7891

El Tigre

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts
  • LocationCA, USA

Posted December 13 2013 - 12:41 PM

View PostSylhiri, on December 13 2013 - 11:15 AM, said:

Most sustain weapons are hitscan, I'm guessing that is a big factor in why they don't have AoE.

Granted, but being hitscan doesn't obviate a weapon from using AoE. It's not a disproof of the idea.

The game already has an extremely rapid-projectile  AoE weapon in the HEAT Cannon. Uncharged, the projectile moves at 200m/s (and charged is twice as fast at 400m/s). For reference, most encounters take place well under 100m. Velocity, then, does not break AoE. AoE in Hawken isn't balanced by the difficulty of aiming/lead, but by the size of the radius and the minimum damage/feathering.

If it's not the velocity of the shot, and it's not requiring lead, then I don't see why AoE should remain the exclusive realm of burst weapons.

Plus, there's nothing in the book that says a sustain weapon has to be hitscan, either. We're breaking down all the traditions today. :P

Draco

#7 OmegaNull

OmegaNull

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Location2300-2400 Pilot Camp

Posted December 15 2013 - 11:32 AM

I would be down for a AOE sustained weapon. Maybe a weapon like the EOC, however, more like a M242 with explosive rounds.

Scootin' and Shootin | Ballin' and Brawlin' | Ragin' and Raidin'

Posted Image

I am Omega Null. The abyss is my home and your last frontier. Welcome to my lair and become my Prey. As I track your scent through this nether,

my mouth begins to water. Your Demise will be quick and wretched.

Enjoy your Pain and Suffering as I tear Limb from Limb. Prepare to meet your Final End.

Member of Violent Resolution

#8 Frenotx

Frenotx

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 808 posts
  • LocationConway, AR

Posted December 15 2013 - 04:00 PM

Isn't the Rev-GL essentially sustained AoE_
Your friendly otter-fox hybrid abomination about town.

To pronounce my name correctly, just pretend the 't' isn't there. You can also think of it as "Freno - [sodacan opening sound]"

#9 Xacius

Xacius

The Saltan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,889 posts
  • LocationOther games, waiting for dev beacon

Posted December 15 2013 - 04:31 PM

The closest thing we have to sustained AOE is the Technician's Redox.
High MMR (2700+) livestream (scroll down on twitch page for in-depth bio and PC specs).   Check out my Steam Guide!

Exeon is fuzzy bunny bad.

Currently inactive.  Estimated return: TPG 2

#10 StruttingStray

StruttingStray

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted December 15 2013 - 05:32 PM

Most probably any weapon so equipped should have a relatively small splash radius, leaving large AoE the domain of burst weapons.

View PostLeonhardt, on December 13 2013 - 11:35 AM, said:

Almost like a mini-heat cannon except no charging and the projectiles move at slow speed_

You guys beat me to it, I was actually writting up a suggestion to a weapon exactly like this. Sort of the lovechild of the AM-SAR and Heat canon.

#11 Silverfire

Silverfire

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,042 posts
  • LocationThe Depths of Coruscant

Posted December 15 2013 - 07:54 PM

Rev-GL is sustained and it has AoE. It spits out grenades at a very decent fire rate.  Still would like to see more, regardless.

Posted Image

Check out my new short film Prebirth: The Eternal War! Check out my e-peen!

Need to find a mech guide_ Well, look here!
Intel Core i3 2120 @ 3.30 GHz |  Corsair XMS3 8GB RAM | eVGA GTX 550Ti 1GB OC | Corsair CX600 PSU

#12 HubbaBubba9849

HubbaBubba9849

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted December 16 2013 - 02:16 AM

View PostXacius, on December 15 2013 - 04:31 PM, said:

The closest thing we have to sustained AOE is the Technician's Redox.

Thank you Xacius. I was just about to say the same thing.
"Speak softly and carry a big stick; You will go far."
Sentium or Prosk_
Repair Charge / Repair Kit values

#13 MrWilpon

MrWilpon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted January 11 2014 - 02:25 PM

The closest than I can think of now is the Rev-GL, but that's really much more about the burst.

The Rev-GL is not a burst weapon, it is indeed a sustained AoE weapon.

As you can read on the official game guide:
"Halt enemy progress with a steady barrage of heavy artillery"

I played several hours with my Grenadier and I confirm this is true.In fact, the main concept of the Grenadier is to cause sustained aoe damage.

#14 HugeGuts

HugeGuts

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted January 11 2014 - 03:35 PM

In addition to the Rev-GL and Redox, one of the Fire Fighter's primaries will have a small AoE with a heat generation debuff if the in game files are accurate.

Edited by HugeGuts, January 11 2014 - 03:35 PM.

#15 Greenvalv

Greenvalv

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted January 13 2014 - 08:22 AM

Wouldn't it be interesting if we got an automatic EOC-esque weapon that acted like a Torgue assault rifle from Borderlands 2_  Explosive sustain with very poor accuracy (no mine action, the EOC reference is for the projectile looks).
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users