HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Any thoughts on the Grenadier mech (and other things)_

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Hijinks_The_Turtle

Hijinks_The_Turtle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,569 posts
  • LocationTurtles be turtlin'

Posted December 15 2013 - 12:22 PM

Is it worth it to get the mech_  I've always loved explosions and stuff, and I want to use it.  Also, due to personal experience, is it a bad idea to just focus on using one mech or actually trying to use them all_

Thanks,

-Hijinks The Turtle

#2 Silverfire

Silverfire

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,042 posts
  • LocationThe Depths of Coruscant

Posted December 15 2013 - 01:36 PM

The Grenadier is a magnificient beast. It's excellent at area denial and breaking up clusters of mechs with tons of splash damage. It's great on maps with chokepoints and narrow hallways and lots of cover because you can bounce grenades around corners. It can hold its own pretty much anywhere.  Use it. You won't regret it.  

A quick Google search summarizes this mech quite succinctly.
Posted Image

My personal advice is to try to learn all the mechs. Learn how to use all of them, but have a go-to mech that you're experienced in during those times when you're getting stomped and you need to turn to something that you simply perform better in all the time.  For me, my go-to mech is the Grenadier. Never fails me because it's just so versatile. :)

Edited by Silverfire, December 15 2013 - 01:44 PM.

Posted Image

Check out my new short film Prebirth: The Eternal War! Check out my e-peen!

Need to find a mech guide_ Well, look here!
Intel Core i3 2120 @ 3.30 GHz |  Corsair XMS3 8GB RAM | eVGA GTX 550Ti 1GB OC | Corsair CX600 PSU

#3 WarlordZ

WarlordZ

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted December 15 2013 - 02:39 PM

View PostSilverfire, on December 15 2013 - 01:36 PM, said:

The Grenadier is a magnificient beast. It's excellent at area denial and breaking up clusters of mechs with tons of splash damage. It's great on maps with chokepoints and narrow hallways and lots of cover because you can bounce grenades around corners. It can hold its own pretty much anywhere.  Use it. You won't regret it.
This pretty much sums it up.

Speaking of its versatility, you can use the Rev-GL for spamming explosives in chokepoints or missile silos, the heat cannon as a general burst weapon, or the vulcan if you're in more of a sustained damage kind of mood.  Pretty much anything you want out of a primary, the gren has it.  The turret mode is pretty cool too as it grants damage and explosion radius increases.  You get all of that, wrapped up in a pretty good amount of health.

I prefer to play a whole list of mechs myself, I switch around a lot to keep things fresh.  There's nothing wrong with focusing on one mech, but you might find yourself wanting something else when the situation changes.

Edited by WarlordZ, December 15 2013 - 02:41 PM.

#4 ropefish

ropefish

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,309 posts
  • Locationfuzzybunny you, ima cat now (~o-o)~

Posted December 15 2013 - 02:45 PM

also when fully upgraded you get thsi in turret mode
+30% AoE range
+30% damage
yep, its awesome

also with the grens heat-skins and coolant, you can spam Vulcan so awesomely!

Edited by ropefish, December 15 2013 - 02:46 PM.

"I find that there are those who will hang themselves if you give them enough rope, and that there are those who will provide their own rope. "
-VocalMagic           Croin//illal's wildlife

View PostDaPheel, on October 26 2013 - 01:05 AM, said:

You don't nuke Ropefish : ROPEFISH NUKES YOU!

#5 Hijinks_The_Turtle

Hijinks_The_Turtle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,569 posts

Posted December 15 2013 - 02:51 PM

Sweet!  I have a couple more questions, as for Grenadier, what internals/items/tuning points would be a good idea for it_  Also, this may seem a little out of topic, but I would like some idea on internals/items/tuning points for Predator too.  I have a feeling just having MK III Radar Scrambler and MK I ISM Disruptor just isn't enough.

Thanks for replying guys!

Edited by Hijinks_The_Turtle, December 15 2013 - 02:51 PM.

#6 hendman

hendman

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,901 posts

Posted December 15 2013 - 02:57 PM

View Postropefish, on December 15 2013 - 02:45 PM, said:

+30% AoE range
+30% damage
yep, its awesome

A heat-skin must only apply to caterpillars, because the rest of us doesn't have one :)

Edited by hendman, December 15 2013 - 02:59 PM.

#7 ropefish

ropefish

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,309 posts

Posted December 15 2013 - 03:16 PM

View Posthendman, on December 15 2013 - 02:57 PM, said:

View Postropefish, on December 15 2013 - 02:45 PM, said:

+30% AoE range
+30% damage
yep, its awesome

A heat-skin must only apply to caterpillars, because the rest of us doesn't have one :)
_ gren has heat skins check the  mech guide lol
"I find that there are those who will hang themselves if you give them enough rope, and that there are those who will provide their own rope. "

#8 ropefish

ropefish

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,309 posts

Posted December 15 2013 - 03:26 PM

View PostHijinks_The_Turtle, on December 15 2013 - 02:51 PM, said:

Sweet!  I have a couple more questions, as for Grenadier, what internals/items/tuning points would be a good idea for it_  Also, this may seem a little out of topic, but I would like some idea on internals/items/tuning points for Predator too.  I have a feeling just having MK III Radar Scrambler and MK I ISM Disruptor just isn't enough.

gren i use
items: radar MK 1, shield MK 3
internals:  reconstructer MK 3 and two other internals
try and put a majority of the points towards heat skins, armor, and coolling units

with the pred i use
items: ISM MK 3, MG turret
internals: reconstuctor MK3, shockcoil, and failsafe
i have my pred for trap making so its mostly tuned with hydraulics and  heatskins woth the most points and the rest spread out

tuning should be tested for your play-style

#9 Silverfire

Silverfire

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,042 posts
  • LocationThe Depths of Coruscant

Posted December 15 2013 - 03:31 PM

Internals: I run the Advanced Repair Kit, Basic Fuel Converter, and Failsafe.

Items: I carry the H.E Charge MK III and Repair Charge MK I.  H.E Charge for surprise attacks (Detonator is slightly better, I might switch out) and Repair Charge for a quick repair and then jump right back into battle.

Tuning: Max out Weapons Loader,  I then maxed out Cooling Units and Suspension Systems, and split remaining points into Hydraulics and Armor. Some choose to max out Hydraulics, some choose Armor, but I really think the essentials are maxing out Weapons Loader and Cooling Units and then to play around with the rest.

I don't play Predator too much, so I can't help you there. :(

Edited by Silverfire, December 15 2013 - 03:31 PM.

Posted Image

Check out my new short film Prebirth: The Eternal War! Check out my e-peen!

Need to find a mech guide_ Well, look here!
Intel Core i3 2120 @ 3.30 GHz |  Corsair XMS3 8GB RAM | eVGA GTX 550Ti 1GB OC | Corsair CX600 PSU

#10 ropefish

ropefish

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,309 posts

Posted December 15 2013 - 03:37 PM

View PostSilverfire, on December 15 2013 - 03:31 PM, said:

Internals: I run the Advanced Repair Kit, Basic Fuel Converter, and Failsafe.

Items: I carry the H.E Charge MK III and Repair Charge MK I.  H.E Charge for surprise attacks (Detonator is slightly better, I might switch out) and Repair Charge for a quick repair and then jump right back into battle.

Tuning: Max out Weapons Loader,  I then maxed out Cooling Units and Suspension Systems, and split remaining points into Hydraulics and Armor. Some choose to max out Hydraulics, some choose Armor, but I really think the essentials are maxing out Weapons Loader and Cooling Units and then to play around with the rest.

I don't play Predator too much, so I can't help you there. :(
THATS WHAT IT WAS WEAPONS LOADER!
argh i forgot about it XD

#11 BLTasty

BLTasty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • LocationSmall Town next to a REALLY big city

Posted December 16 2013 - 03:41 AM

grenedier really feels different from other mechs - most mechs your waiting for a good angle tto shoot something and then let loose - grenadier is - hey there are some enemies over there - lest annoy the heell out of them - commence bombardment.

#12 Ysenberg

Ysenberg

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted December 18 2013 - 06:16 AM

Talking ab out my Main Heer, aren't we_ B)

The Grenny chose me as his main pilot, and i jeder regret hat decision.
I run the traditional specs. Rev-gl and weaponsloader, failsafe, Det etc.
I usually stay a little behind and try Tod hell out my Team with area denial or busting up brawls.

I don't get too man kills, but my assists are pretty sturdy.
It's just fun for me Tod play hat big badass thing.

Besteht regards from the Land oft the Christstollen

Ysen

[font=times new roman', times, serif]O Lord, bless this Thy holy grenade that with it Thou mayest blow Thine enemies to tiny bits, in Thy mercy.[/font]

[font=times new roman', times, serif]  Grenadiers do it around the corner...^^ [/font][font=comic sans ms', cursive]W[/font][font=comic sans ms', cursive]andering guns #103: [font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Ysenberg[/font][/font]

#13 Aregon

Aregon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,349 posts
  • LocationDistrict 19, Kobalt, Crion, Illal

Posted December 18 2013 - 07:10 AM

My first C-class was the grenadier, and I hated it! But as time and patches went, I learned some of the reasons why you should play it.
  • First tip: Max out Weapons-Loader and Cooling-Units.
  • Use the Rev-GL. The HEAT-cannon might be better, but the Rev-GL got more balls` n guts.
  • Be offensive.
  • Be mobile.
  • Learn yourself some tactics for encountering people.

I`ll fix it later.

#14 DaPheel

DaPheel

EXPLOSIONS_

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,787 posts
  • LocationU.K.

Posted December 18 2013 - 07:29 AM

The Grenadier is a fickle and tempestuos mistress, but A LOT of fun. I usually invest in cooling units and then mobility.

It's great for team based modes, you can actually control the ebb and flow of battle with it. You can clear chokepoints, form chokepoints, act as bait (and oh my, do those little A classes chase after you), suppress whole areas with Grenade spam.

I have all of the mechs maxed out. The Grenadier was the last I levelled up (not counting the predator) and it's my go to mech of choice.
Posted Image"OFFICIAL SHIELD BEARER"
Spoiler

#15 ropefish

ropefish

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,309 posts

Posted December 19 2013 - 05:45 AM

dat turret mode i love its damage and AOE buff e.e

(i named mine novacat :D)

#16 Hijinks_The_Turtle

Hijinks_The_Turtle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,569 posts

Posted December 19 2013 - 01:44 PM

I guess the two next mechs for me to get is the Grenadier and the Infiltrator!  Grenadier to spam 'nades EVEYWHAR and Infil to do some crazy cloak and bomb stuff.  I already have an idea on what to name them too!  I only have 2802 HCs though... :(

#17 dEd101

dEd101

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted December 19 2013 - 02:24 PM

Vulcan grenny is pretty bad ass. You have a huge health bar, next to no overheat time and the best dodge cooldown of the c classes.

Mobility is not the best but you can fire for days.

Edited by dEd101, December 19 2013 - 02:25 PM.

General tips and tricks: https://community.pl...-tricks-thread/
Wolfyftw videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/wolfyFTW (click on the 'Mindgamer' episodes)
Promo Codes (free money): https://community.pl...90-promo-codes/
Stats (all credit to AsianJoyKiller and the other contributors): https://docs.google....lrQjM5Tmc#gid=0 (don't forget to scroll right)

#18 ThatDamnedBoedy

ThatDamnedBoedy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted December 21 2013 - 07:29 AM

yeah the grenadier is a wrecking beast.  Good for a player looking to bust up a group of people who bunch up.  scares the hell out of them.  Great for countering corner play as well as you can bounce those explosive charges off walls and around corners.   Whenever I unlock it I am sure it will become a favorite for certain maps and game modes.

It seems well designed for siege given that people have to stand on the AA.  And with how little cover you have on the wreckage map...my god...its full of exploding stars!

#19 EnergyFlameD

EnergyFlameD

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • LocationNorway/Thailand

Posted December 21 2013 - 11:19 AM

I loved the old days, I was using the Grenadier on Deathmatch and came often on the firs place...

I got away from it and now, I suck to play it on Deathmatch.

The grenadier is a very awesome mech! (if used properly)
[font=tahoma, geneva, sans-serif]A FLAME CAN GIVE LIFE AND HEAT, BUT IT CAN BE VERY
LETHAL IN THE WRONG HANDS[/font]

#20 Coboxite

Coboxite

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts
  • LocationHell

Posted December 21 2013 - 11:35 AM

Don't discredit HEAT Gren. It can rapid fire shots to its hearts content, and it becomes a potent tank in turret form.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users