HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Critique Thread! Post your gameplay videos for review and constructive commentary!

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#81 UCC0

UCC0

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted January 25 2014 - 08:45 AM

Someone said that he's derping... but I don't think seen ever before the real derping...
...not sure why I'm posting this... do what ever you want with it...

#82 VYR3

VYR3

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted January 25 2014 - 08:19 PM

I might record a video tomorrow to get some feed back :)

#83 Arx_17

Arx_17

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted January 26 2014 - 10:01 AM

View Postnepacaka, on January 20 2014 - 11:10 PM, said:

Xacius, maybe you know where i can watching some videos, i mean, from players with more skill than I (for teaching purposes), And play on Brawler with SA. I searched a few videos on youtube, but most of them die like me and contain similar errors =Ъ. And the very few amount of clips on SA Brawler, 90% use flak-cannon. I mean, there is someone who plays with SA like a pro =3

mexi, play's quite some C-classes.
http://www.twitch.tv...chanman/profile

And some SA-brawler play from him:
http://www.twitch.tv...man/b/498280722
http://www.twitch.tv...anman/c/3606091

He has more on his channel, i think he is one of the better c-class pilots.

#84 Silverfire

Silverfire

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,041 posts
  • LocationThe Depths of Coruscant

Posted January 26 2014 - 03:12 PM

View PostUCC0, on January 25 2014 - 08:45 AM, said:

Someone said that he's derping... but I don't think seen ever before the real derping...

I can say a couple things about your Reaper play overall, if I may, without too many specific time stamps.

Critique:
Spoiler

Sorry for the walls of text and stealing Xacius' thunder.

Edited by Silverfire, January 27 2014 - 09:56 PM.

Posted Image

Check out my new short film Prebirth: The Eternal War! Check out my e-peen!

Need to find a mech guide_ Well, look here!
Intel Core i3 2120 @ 3.30 GHz |  Corsair XMS3 8GB RAM | eVGA GTX 550Ti 1GB OC | Corsair CX600 PSU

#85 JeffMagnum

JeffMagnum

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 829 posts
  • LocationMO

Posted January 26 2014 - 05:43 PM

View PostSilverfire, on January 26 2014 - 03:12 PM, said:

I can say a couple things about your Reaper play overall, if I may, without too many specific time stamps.

Critique:
Spoiler

Sorry for the walls of text.
I agree with the majority of this, but I do have to commend you on using dodges to help you aim and turn more quickly. A surprising amount of people don't correct their aim until their dodge is finished, and that results in them being unable to fight in CQC effectively because other mechs can easily get out of their FOV. I don't think it's possible to be good at the game until you can aim with your feet--you still need to work on it, but it's better than what a lot of people do.

#86 breadeffect

breadeffect

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio

Posted January 26 2014 - 07:34 PM

What the hell do you listen to man_  I really need all of these songs linked stat so I can fuzzy bunny them.  They're glorious as hell.

View PostNept, on February 08 2014 - 12:25 AM, said:

Yes, you know a game's gone in the wrong direction when the game's top players are defending the current patch.

#87 DennisKnightPC

DennisKnightPC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh

Posted January 26 2014 - 08:05 PM

View Postbreadeffect, on January 26 2014 - 07:34 PM, said:

I really need all of these songs linked stat so I can fuzzy bunny TO them.

You missed a word out

Posted Image

i7-3770K//32GB RAM//SSD//R9 270X Vapour

#88 Kvalheim

Kvalheim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted January 27 2014 - 02:21 AM

@DennisKnightPC Oh hey, someone from Edinburgh, I used to live there ;)

I did some videos purely as more of a test to see if I could record live gameplay on my new PC. Turned out pretty okay methinks. First one was Fraps, second was Nvidia ShadowPlay

Edited by Kvalheim, January 27 2014 - 02:23 AM.

Posted Image

<HKN://Sig-Process-01023 END

#89 Daronicus

Daronicus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 414 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted January 27 2014 - 09:51 PM

So just to give some people an idea of what goes through my head while I play, I thought I'd post a vid and talk a little about what I did right, what I did wrong, and why I did it.  Just a note that this is just a random pub, so a lot of what I do won't necessarily work against higher level players.  Just as an example, I often take long flanks, but that doesn't really work against a coordinated team that 1) can capitalize on just one missing player and 2) calls out enemy locations.

Spoiler

It's not the closest game, and it isn't the best play from me.  That latter bit is part of why I chose this video, since I make some pretty glaring mistakes both in plan and execution.  But hopefully it shows a little bit that I'm always thinking during a fight, and why I move like I do.

Edited by Daronicus, January 27 2014 - 09:56 PM.

#90 Daronicus

Daronicus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 414 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted January 27 2014 - 10:18 PM

View PostKvalheim, on January 27 2014 - 02:21 AM, said:

I did some videos purely as more of a test to see if I could record live gameplay on my new PC. Turned out pretty okay methinks. First one was Fraps, second was Nvidia ShadowPlay

It's late, so I'm not up for doing a play-by-play, but there are a couple things I noticed about your videos.  First of all, you tend to fire your TOW where the enemy is right now, and then you mistime a lot of your remote detonations.  I'd say work a little on predicting where the enemy is moving to, and that will make direct hits and remote detonations easier.  The other major thing is that you don't use side dodging very much in fights.  You move in a lot of straight lines, and that makes you an easy target.  You also continue firing your AR even when no enemies are in view.  This reduces the accuracy of the weapon and builds heat.  If they duck out of sight, ease off the trigger.  Those are the most glaring things I noticed from watching your videos.

On the positive side, your situational awareness seems decent and you use vertical space to good effect when using peekaboo tactics.

Sleep time now.

#91 Bea5t

Bea5t

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • LocationCologne, Germany

Posted January 28 2014 - 05:48 AM

Spambump

#92 Xacius

Xacius

The Saltan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,889 posts
  • LocationOther games, waiting for dev beacon

Posted January 28 2014 - 10:41 AM

I have a calc test in a couple hours.  Sorry about the lack of response on my part.  Been busy with a number of things (IO scrims, school, etc...).  I'll have some free time tomorrow to update the thread.
High MMR (2700+) livestream (scroll down on twitch page for in-depth bio and PC specs).   Check out my Steam Guide!

Exeon is fuzzy bunny bad.

Currently inactive.  Estimated return: TPG 2

#93 Lightangel112

Lightangel112

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted January 29 2014 - 06:26 PM

View PostKvalheim, on January 27 2014 - 02:21 AM, said:

I'm not even going to comment on the first video, as it's a training match.

But for your second video.

You can take a shot at enemies from afar, your assault rifle is built for that, but you may think about firing long distance TOW missiles. But this isn't a big deal, what is, is you wasted your detonator, infact you waste your detonators a lot, without ever hitting your targets. You managed to deal some dmg to the sniper, but to use detonator don't use it from such a long distance, they can see it a mile off and avoid it, try releasing it on an enemy mechs side or behind or even at close quarters, but never long distances unless you know the mech can't avoid it, ie backed up against a while or obstacle.

At about 3:25 you had a few energy balls around you, but if I were you I would of dropped your 3rd item (repair kit) near the ones on the floor and immediately of pressed C to fully heal up.

At 4:03 you decide to flee, as you were taking quite some dmg. You could of done a few things different, 1 hide behind that small pillar in front of you, as a small mech it provides you with some cover and if you were a bit patient dropped your repair kit, 2 strafe to the left so he does not have a clear shot, 3 do 180 and go behind silo, 4 head in the direction you started but strafe to the right, but even this option is dubious.

You like using the HE charge quite a bit, and you kind of waste it in 6:24, HE charges are mainly used for corners, to throw at ppl's feet or directly in their face or back. Not volleyed in the sky to somehow do dmg on enemy mechs. Use it more wisely, like in 4:42 you notice the C mech in turret mode and you go check him out, had you pressed your F ability and rolled the HE charged to him on the ground, you would of did DOUBLE the DMG, and possibly of stopped the assault from charging in or did him considerable dmg, instead ur HE went over the C mech.

I also notice you don't use your F ability that often. You usually press it, when you panick and see more enemy units or when you back off and not shooting, which is pointless, use the ability it allows you to do more dmg, not to be used for a speedy get away. Try to utilise your ability more effectively. Even at 7:20 you could clearly see on radar that 2 enemies were on that corner, you engaged 1, and kind of freaked out when the rocketeer popped out.

Overall you move well, keep an eye on your radar more frequently. Don't use items just cause you have them, a good player will make good use of them and make them count. Remember that your ability allows you to deal extra dmg for a short duration, use it to your advantage, this also works for items, remember that detonators travel slower than TOW's so if you want you should fire the DET first followed by a TOW as a tip. As someone else already said, try not to travel in straight lines when falling back.

Also, don't forget to press Q to tell your team where the enemy is or Z to ask for assistance, if somebody is nearby to help you out. Though this might go unheard most times, when they do listen it helps. Another tip is you should try to heal up in a quiet area once your at about 200 HP cause a few weapons do 200 dmg like an Snipers Sabot with ability is enough to make you TKO. Which is what you did at about 2:27, do more of that. A death is a point to the other team.

Another tip is, don't rush back into the fray with 2/3 of your health, you engaged a CR-T at 2:56, you managed to survive cause you had back up, had you not had that you may have lost that round. If your not taking damage, healing should be done when possible.

That's all I can think off really.

Edited by Lightangel112, January 30 2014 - 07:38 AM.

View PostMeraple, on June 01 2014 - 11:54 AM, said:

If you want to be a Professional Yolodriver just go with DETs and the rest EMPs.

#94 Lightangel112

Lightangel112

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted February 04 2014 - 01:38 PM

Anymore vids to be critiqued_

If you want to be a Professional Yolodriver just go with DETs and the rest EMPs.

#95 Silverfire

Silverfire

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,041 posts
  • LocationThe Depths of Coruscant

Posted February 05 2014 - 10:01 AM

Still waiting on my review, but maybe it's perhaps because it's better to wait to post new gameplay becausethe game is changing so much. Idk, im really the only person who's gameplay Xacius or anyone has not touched upon. :(

I'm also unsure why this thread was moved to art & media subforum. Seems relevant to the discussion of gameplay, which belongs in either the mech hanger or general discussion.

Edited by Silverfire, February 05 2014 - 10:03 AM.

Posted Image

Check out my new short film Prebirth: The Eternal War! Check out my e-peen!

Need to find a mech guide_ Well, look here!
Intel Core i3 2120 @ 3.30 GHz |  Corsair XMS3 8GB RAM | eVGA GTX 550Ti 1GB OC | Corsair CX600 PSU

#96 Lightangel112

Lightangel112

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted February 05 2014 - 10:34 AM

Oh that's not good silverfire sorry to hear.
But I think it's best till after the new update.
Take some new footage with improved quality.

Edited by Lightangel112, February 05 2014 - 02:30 PM.

#97 Superkamikazee

Superkamikazee

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted February 05 2014 - 09:29 PM

Bruiser gameplay with the new Update and on Steam. I personally enjoy the update to the game, not sure what all the fuss is about.

http://www.twitch.tv...kazee/c/3673765

Edited by Superkamikazee, February 06 2014 - 04:43 AM.

#98 Superkamikazee

Superkamikazee

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted February 08 2014 - 10:12 PM

#99 Superkamikazee

Superkamikazee

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip