HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Critique Thread! Post your gameplay videos for review and constructive commentary!

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#1 Xacius

Xacius

The Saltan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,889 posts
  • LocationOther games, waiting for dev beacon

Posted January 16 2014 - 11:27 PM

Hey everyone,

I'd like to start getting constructive commentary out to the public, but I won't be streaming Hawken over the next couple of weeks. It's also easier for me to review someone else's gameplay.  If you're interested in improving and have recording capabilities, post a couple videos of some gameplay sessions and I'll do my best to respond!  Please PM me if you're not interested in posting a public video or just want a private review.  

I'm interested in helping players get better. Following the recent announcement of incoming competitive support, I'd like to expedite the process and provide constructive discussion with gameplay commentary.  Post a video or clip of your gameplay (preferably longer than 2 minutes) and I'll reply.  Posting multiple clips is fine, but please try to diversify your mech selection.  Also, there is no need to quote this post.  I'll know what to do when you post your video.  

Here's the process: After you post a video (please use the forum's embed feature with the ["media"] tag minus the quotation marks), I'll watch it and create specific timestamps on the thread with commentary for each timestamp.  Simple and effective.  Just be sure to embed the video in your post!  

Cheers!

Update:  I highly encourage everyone, especially up-and-coming players, to watch gameplay segments from other players and read the commentary that I've provided.

Edited by Xacius, January 18 2014 - 04:38 PM.

High MMR (2700+) livestream (scroll down on twitch page for in-depth bio and PC specs).   Check out my Steam Guide!

Exeon is fuzzy bunny bad.

Currently inactive.  Estimated return: TPG 2

#2 driedjello

driedjello

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 915 posts
  • LocationOmaha

Posted January 17 2014 - 12:19 AM

Coming up!  As a mid tier player, I would love to hear a high level player critique of my play.  I grabbed the latest thing in my fraps folder and only a small chunk to not bore you to death.  I did well only because I was on a stronger team and the opponents lacked situational awareness methinks.  Well I hate watching my videos because I can spot a million things I am unhappy with.  It's kinda like having sex on camera: it looks nothing like an adult video as I would have imagined, more like barnyard animals.  LOL

Edited by driedjello, January 17 2014 - 12:37 AM.

Posted Image
"...Then I presume the complex murder algorithm that masquerades as his cerebral cortex was done analyzing my panicked stumbling and he flattened me."  -Amidatelion on Xacius.

#3 Interrobang87

Interrobang87

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • LocationPA USA

Posted January 17 2014 - 01:10 AM

I am not Xacius but i would like to be constructive in a couple ways.

First, don't use a siege game, especially a one sided one, for your example of how you typically play. It makes it almost impossible to critique what you do and how you play. Use a TDM or death match game instead so we (Xacius) can see what you do in CQC and how you play with a team.

Second.. Sorry, i got nothing. First half of the vid was running EU and the second was hitting people with... zzzz... Hell.. Zzzz... Fires.
How will you spend eternity_ Smoking or Non-Smoking_
Posted Image
Chillen with the banger

#4 Xacius

Xacius

The Saltan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,889 posts

Posted January 17 2014 - 01:12 AM

driedjello's Bruiser
Spoiler

Edited by Xacius, January 17 2014 - 02:08 AM.

High MMR (2700+) livestream (scroll down on twitch page for in-depth bio and PC specs).   Check out my Steam Guide!

#5 Interrobang87

Interrobang87

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • LocationPA USA

Posted January 17 2014 - 01:16 AM

Alright, Xacius color me impressed, that was a well thought out response to his post. You gleaned way more than i expected from that video. +1
How will you spend eternity_ Smoking or Non-Smoking_
Posted Image
Chillen with the banger

#6 newkah

newkah

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted January 17 2014 - 01:34 AM

I use these videos to promote our gameplay in Asia but I don't mind getting some feedback for improvements.

Thanks for your time!

Edited by newkah, January 17 2014 - 01:39 AM.

#7 JeffMagnum

JeffMagnum

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 829 posts
  • LocationMO

Posted January 17 2014 - 01:35 AM

View PostInterrobang87, on January 17 2014 - 01:10 AM, said:

First, don't use a siege game, especially a one sided one, for your example of how you typically play.
I definitely agree with that. When the enemies aren't very good at the game, you're not truly demonstrating your abilities and aren't put in high-pressure situations that can cause you to choke and make lots of careless mistakes. If you show us some higher-level TDM/DM footage in which you're actually challenged and die multiple times, then I'm sure Xacius and others will be able to give you better criticism.

#8 Lucier

Lucier

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • LocationUS East

Posted January 17 2014 - 01:36 AM

In addition to whatever commentary you have, can you tell me if there is any observable difference in quality between these two videos and if the quality is good/bad_

#9 Xacius

Xacius

The Saltan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,889 posts

Posted January 17 2014 - 01:38 AM

newkah's Brawler
Spoiler

Lucier's Assault (entire first video complete)
Spoiler

Edited by Xacius, January 17 2014 - 07:00 PM.

#10 DerMax

DerMax

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,270 posts
  • LocationRussia

Posted January 17 2014 - 02:15 AM

Hm. I'll try and record my 15-fps play today :D

#11 Kenpos

Kenpos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • LocationSpain

Posted January 17 2014 - 02:30 AM

Hi Xacius, thanks for your time.

#12 EliteShooter

EliteShooter

Mr Splash Man

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,888 posts
  • LocationTunisia

Posted January 17 2014 - 02:47 AM

wow ! good initiative !!!

Posted Image

#13 nepacaka

nepacaka

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,762 posts
  • Locationin "KGB" headquarters, near with Baba Ji

Posted January 17 2014 - 04:54 AM

what program is best to record video_ I have a cheap/weak PC.
in any case, I've never used the program for video-capture. Advise a simple program that can be used are not very smart man (me).

#14 Kenpos

Kenpos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • LocationSpain

Posted January 17 2014 - 04:59 AM

View Postnepacaka, on January 17 2014 - 04:54 AM, said:

in any case, I've never used the program for video-capture. Advise a simple program that can be used are not very smart man (me).

I use Bandicam, and I like it far more than FRAPS.

#15 shosca

shosca

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 733 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted January 17 2014 - 05:03 AM

View Postnepacaka, on January 17 2014 - 04:54 AM, said:

You can use obs. It's free. http://obsproject.com/

Edited by shosca, January 17 2014 - 05:06 AM.

#16 nepacaka

nepacaka

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,762 posts
  • Locationin "KGB" headquarters, near with Baba Ji

Posted January 17 2014 - 07:08 AM

thx guys i try it, maybe my PC will not explode from overload XD

Edited by nepacaka, January 17 2014 - 07:09 AM.

#17 RozerMahbub_

RozerMahbub_

fishy scout

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 742 posts
  • LocationTorino,To-10125 ,italy

Posted January 17 2014 - 07:52 AM

i dont have anything to post.... :(

Posted Image

I DON'T CARE

i want to tell you a true story , once upon a time everyone was a perfect pure NOOB ^_^

#18 ShadowGTR

ShadowGTR

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted January 17 2014 - 08:53 AM

View PostXacius, on January 17 2014 - 01:12 AM, said:

[font=Arial, sans-serif]If you’re having trouble aiming while moving, try lowering your sensitivity settings.  Remember, Hawken’s turn-speed cap makes very high sensitivity more detrimental than helpful.  [/font]

[font=Arial, sans-serif]My mouse sensitivity settings are 7 in game, with 1600 DPI on my Razer Deathadder mouse.  [/font]

May I ask what your OS pointer speed is set at (the Windows one)_ I normally have it set to the middle of the slider area (about 5 ticks in from the left), have my DPI set to around 1300 and in-game sensitivity set to about 15. All mouse smoothing and acceleration are all turned off. With this setup, it seemed like it wasn't fast enough (better for sniping maybe, but not CQC which I generally do). I decided last night to drop the OS pointer speed to 3 ticks from the left, raised the DPI to 3800 and dropped in-game sensitivity to 10. Much faster, but also feels a bit too "twitchy", makes getting precise distance shots more difficult. I'll need to adjust it some more, see if I can find a sweet spot. Of course, any advice would be greatly appreciated. :)

Edited by ShadowGTR, January 17 2014 - 08:58 AM.

Posted Image

#19 peacecraftSLD

peacecraftSLD

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted January 17 2014 - 09:00 AM

I would definitely would like some advice to get better. I'll need to make a more current video of me playing as the videos I have are from awhile ago. Lately I have felt that my performance has been terrible and any advice on how to improve would be very helpful.

#20 shosca

shosca

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 733 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted January 17 2014 - 09:01 AM

View PostShadowGTR, on January 17 2014 - 08:53 AM, said:

View PostXacius, on January 17 2014 - 01:12 AM, said:

[font=Arial, sans-serif]If you’re having trouble aiming while moving, try lowering your sensitivity settings.  Remember, Hawken’s turn-speed cap makes very high sensitivity more detrimental than helpful.  [/font]

[font=Arial, sans-serif]My mouse sensitivity settings are 7 in game, with 1600 DPI on my Razer Deathadder mouse.  [/font]

May I ask what your OS pointer speed is set at (the Windows one)_ I normally have it set to the middle of the slider area (about 5 ticks in from the left), have my DPI set to around 1300 and in-game sensitivity set to about 15. All mouse smoothing and acceleration are all turned off. With this setup, it seemed like it wasn't fast enough (better for sniping maybe, but not CQC which I generally do). I decided last night to drop the OS pointer speed to 3 ticks from the left, raised the DPI to 3800 and dropped in-game sensitivity to 10. Much faster, but also feels a bit too "twitchy", makes getting precise distance shots more difficult. I'll need to adjust it some more, see if I can find a sweet spot. Of course, any advice would be greatly appreciated. :)

http://donewmouseacc...ration-fix.html

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users