HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Critique Thread! Post your gameplay videos for review and constructive commentary!

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#21 _incitatus

_incitatus

former senator

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • LocationOXR, AL

Posted January 17 2014 - 09:23 AM

Wow, this is really nice of you Xacius.  I've got some footage for your review as well, but not with me here at work.

One really can learn a lot and see where they need improvements simply by going back and watching replays of matches.  I noticed that my aim was super twitchy and how much my trackball was actually hindering me (duh).  So I switched to decent mouse and instantly improved my play.
Posted Image

[HWK]ZamboniChaos, on April 23 2014 - 11:13 AM, said:

You are the undisputed champion of camouflages.

#22 Interrobang87

Interrobang87

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • LocationPA USA

Posted January 17 2014 - 09:26 AM

I really like this thread because i get to see how certain forum regulars play if i haven't played with them before
How will you spend eternity_ Smoking or Non-Smoking_
Posted Image
Chillen with the banger

#23 shosca

shosca

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 733 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted January 17 2014 - 09:51 AM

Xacius, it would also be nice if you could do something like a slow motion review of your own play as a video too, and maybe stream it_

Edited by shosca, January 17 2014 - 09:53 AM.

#24 Azrael39

Azrael39

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted January 17 2014 - 12:44 PM

View Postshosca, on January 17 2014 - 09:51 AM, said:

Xacius, it would also be nice if you could do something like a slow motion review of your own play as a video too, and maybe stream it_
Nooo Shosca don't tell him that.  Xacius might learn something new and become even better than he already is.  And he's already the best that ever lived.  The best thing would be to convince him that he's so great now that he relaxes on us normal humans and one day a real young keener can rise up the ranks and best him.  Lol. ;)
Sharpshooter lvl 25, Berserker lvl 25, Scout lvl 25, Bruiser lvl 25, CRT lvl 25, Brawler lvl 25, Infiltrator lvl 25, Reaper lvl 25, Rocketeer lvl 25, Raider lvl 25, Technician lvl 25, Grenadier lvl 25, Assault lvl 25

Good luck and have fun see you on the Battlefields!

#25 nepacaka

nepacaka

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,762 posts
  • Locationin "KGB" headquarters, near with Baba Ji

Posted January 17 2014 - 04:24 PM

Xacius, I have brought you a little bit =Ъ
It was hard! play with 160 ping and 20-30 FPS, but i try. I was able to create only 3:40 minute videos, because have little problems.
And I wanted to record the first video with SA Hawkins, but with a large ping and a small FPS I just could not get in anybody, it was a pitiful sight... =D, I took the penultimate place XD. I try somthing else, maybe later i can do this!

Quality is bad :C
i can do this maximum only in 240p

Origin. Brawler. part 1
Spoiler
Origin. Brawler. part 2
Spoiler
i press F12 and die in end, change team, and lose with 2 frag =

Frontline. Brawler.
Spoiler
press F12 and die in end of video, change team, and lose with 1 frag =Ъ. pity...but we play 5vs6 =D

Wreckage. Brawler.
Spoiler

At the Facility, I could not hit in anybody with Flak and I had to switch to roketeer =(
Spoiler

I also have an sound-driver error, I removed the hiss and added some music.

Edited by nepacaka, January 17 2014 - 04:51 PM.

#26 Interrobang87

Interrobang87

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • LocationPA USA

Posted January 17 2014 - 04:30 PM

View Postnepacaka, on January 17 2014 - 04:24 PM, said:

Xacius, I have brought you a little bit =Ъ
It was hard! play with 160 ping and 20-30 FPS, but i try. I was able to create only 3:40 minute videos, because have little problems.
And I wanted to record the first video with SA Hawkins, but with a large ping and a small FPS I just could not get in anybody, it was a pitiful sight... =D, I took the penultimate place XD. I try somthing else, maybe later i can do this!

Quality is bad :C
i can do this maximum only in 240p

Origin. Brawler. part 1
Spoiler
Origin. Brawler. part 2
Spoiler
i press F12 and die in end, change team, and lose with 2 frag =

Frontline. Brawler.
Spoiler
press F12 and die in end of video, change team, and lose with 1 frag =Ъ. pity...but we play 5vs6 =D

Wreckage. Brawler.
Spoiler

At the Facility, I could not hit in anybody with Flak and I had to switch to roketeer =(
Spoiler

holy santa claus chimney roasted nuts nepa - how do you play like that_ those graphics are so low it's like you just use the 3D models of the game to play. There's no textures at all! Someone buy this man a computer - his microwave isnt going to last much longer!

Can we get a community driven effort to donate a computer to our favorite mustache wielding, map and mech designing spiderman_
How will you spend eternity_ Smoking or Non-Smoking_
Posted Image
Chillen with the banger

#27 DerMax

DerMax

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,270 posts
  • LocationRussia

Posted January 17 2014 - 04:35 PM

Okay, here's a video of me playing rather poorly on Uptown (it's the only map I can play while recording).

Thanks in advance.

Edited by DerMax, January 17 2014 - 04:37 PM.

#28 nepacaka

nepacaka

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,762 posts
  • Locationin "KGB" headquarters, near with Baba Ji

Posted January 17 2014 - 04:38 PM

I'm fan of old-games, roguelike, pixel graphics, etc. Graphics doesn't matter if gameplay is good.

#29 Sylhiri

Sylhiri

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,135 posts

Posted January 17 2014 - 04:46 PM

View Postnepacaka, on January 17 2014 - 04:38 PM, said:

I'm fan of old-games, roguelike, pixel graphics, etc. Graphics doesn't matter if gameplay is good.

Hawken64

[13:14] <nonsiccus_work> uh oh

there's gravy in my keyboard

----------------------------------------------------------------------

[11:18] <+shosca> if you wanna play ar, go play zerker
[11:18] <Hyginos> and if you want to play zerker, go smc
[11:19] <someone> if you want to play sustain, please go and die in hell

#30 Zaxik

Zaxik

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 665 posts
  • LocationPrague, Czech republic

Posted January 17 2014 - 05:13 PM

This is really nice! I should record myself playing scout and infiltrator and get some critique, because I know I'm doing something wrong. I can honestly handle only sustained fire weapons, burst is too hard O_o
Got few Hawken vids here on my YT.

#31 ropefish

ropefish

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,309 posts
  • Locationfuzzybunny you, ima cat now (~o-o)~

Posted January 17 2014 - 05:35 PM

if i did, he would correct every keystroke i made q-q
"I find that there are those who will hang themselves if you give them enough rope, and that there are those who will provide their own rope. "
-VocalMagic           Croin//illal's wildlife

View PostDaPheel, on October 26 2013 - 01:05 AM, said:

You don't nuke Ropefish : ROPEFISH NUKES YOU!

#32 DennisKnightPC

DennisKnightPC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh

Posted January 17 2014 - 05:48 PM

Nepacaka - what Graphics card have you got_
On topic - this thread is a good idea. I recorded some gameplay (for the first time) that I was going to post for Xacius' critique but even just watching it back myself I learnt a lot and took a lot of stuff away from it to work on. So my advice for people, whether you want Xacius to critique or not is to watch yourself play.

Posted Image

i7-3770K//32GB RAM//SSD//R9 270X Vapour

#33 Daronicus

Daronicus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 414 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted January 17 2014 - 06:25 PM

View PostDennisKnightPC, on January 17 2014 - 05:48 PM, said:

Nepacaka - what Graphics card have you got_
On topic - this thread is a good idea. I recorded some gameplay (for the first time) that I was going to post for Xacius' critique but even just watching it back myself I learnt a lot and took a lot of stuff away from it to work on. So my advice for people, whether you want Xacius to critique or not is to watch yourself play.

I second this.  Every time I record a video, I watch it back.  It's amazing how many of your team's mistakes suddenly become your own.  "Oh; I just wasn't looking at my radar," is a common one for me.  And the reason that guy wasn't taking any damage despite you throwing everything at him_  Yeah, it's because you weren't hitting him.

Edited by Daronicus, January 17 2014 - 06:26 PM.

#34 Paschar

Paschar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted January 17 2014 - 06:58 PM

This is great, I just got started getting into streaming and have only recorded one match so far, so some feedback from someone much more experienced than myself would be awesome!  I know you're overwhelmed here, so I'll patiently wait :)
Spoiler

#35 Daronicus

Daronicus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 414 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted January 17 2014 - 08:03 PM

View PostPaschar, on January 17 2014 - 06:58 PM, said:

This is great, I just got started getting into streaming and have only recorded one match so far, so some feedback from someone much more experienced than myself would be awesome!  I know you're overwhelmed here, so I'll patiently wait :)
Spoiler

Just to give you a little nugget of immediate feedback while you wait for some more in-depth stuff from Xacius (I know this is his thread and all, but hopefully you and he don't mind--if either of you do, I'll shut up):  the biggest thing that stood out to me was the fight at about 5:15.  You spent way too much time in the open, in my opinion, for a heat Infil.  Especially with what I'm pretty sure was an enemy SS in plain view up there to the top right.  A halfway decent SS with Powershot up would have done some hurt on you.  Edit:  forgot the constructive part.  Try to play the corners more.  In that spot on Origin, it's fairly easy to get up and over the big platform to your left.  Flank, do some damage, cause chaos, etc.  Let classes with a little more health hold the line in the open while you focus on hitting some juicy targets.

Other than that, it seems like you're a little reliant on the heat's splash (you miss a lot if you can't hit their feet).  So I guess I'd say work a bit on aiming and leading with it, so you can land a direct shot.

Edited by Daronicus, January 17 2014 - 08:11 PM.

#36 Paschar

Paschar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted January 17 2014 - 08:09 PM

View PostDaronicus, on January 17 2014 - 08:03 PM, said:

Other than that, it seems like you're a little reliant on the heat's splash (you miss a lot if you can't hit their feet).  So I guess I'd say work a bit on aiming and leading with it, so you can land a direct shot.

I appreciate the feedback! Looking at that battle it was a bit risky with that SS up there and even a couple other enemies roaming closely.  I will say one of the reasons I love, love, love Inf is for the splash of heat/GL - I don't necessarily try to play precise with it, I think because I know I don't have to.  I hardly ever use EOC for this very reason.  -- On the flip side, I still haven't even bought heat for my scout.  ninjaeditgo!- I do purposely aim at feet with heat to take advantage of splash damage... old school quake RL lover

Edited by Paschar, January 17 2014 - 08:10 PM.

#37 Daronicus

Daronicus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 414 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted January 17 2014 - 08:23 PM

View PostPaschar, on January 17 2014 - 08:09 PM, said:

View PostDaronicus, on January 17 2014 - 08:03 PM, said:

I appreciate the feedback! Looking at that battle it was a bit risky with that SS up there and even a couple other enemies roaming closely.  I will say one of the reasons I love, love, love Inf is for the splash of heat/GL - I don't necessarily try to play precise with it, I think because I know I don't have to.  I hardly ever use EOC for this very reason.  -- On the flip side, I still haven't even bought heat for my scout.  ninjaeditgo!- I do purposely aim at feet with heat to take advantage of splash damage... old school quake RL lover

Feeling dangerous situations is something you will learn with experience (and honestly is the only way to learn it).  As soon as that fight started, I tensed right up, even just watching.  Even with the ishky quality (I couldn't determine the icon and could barely make out the Res silhouette), I knew it was an SS just from where he was standing.  I don't say this to toot my own horn but to say that one day you'll watch that video and wince, which will be an excellent indication of growth.

As for heat, part of why I mentioned it is because the splash is really quite large, and though I don't have any data to substantiate this, I would not be entirely surprised to see it receive a balance pass in the future.  If you like the weapon, it might be worth honing skills in case of such an eventuality.

#38 Paschar

Paschar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted January 17 2014 - 08:31 PM

Very good points, thanks a lot! I love feedback and look forward to having time to watch some other folks' videos as well!

#39 shosca

shosca

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 733 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted January 17 2014 - 08:39 PM

Hey wait a minute.. I'm getting an idea.. No.. False alarm.. No.. yea.. no.. yea.. wait no.. YES!

How about this. A new section to TheCockpit, where the hosts pick a video and do commentary on it.

Edited by shosca, January 18 2014 - 06:30 PM.

#40 Lucier

Lucier

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • LocationUS East

Posted January 17 2014 - 08:57 PM

View PostXacius, on January 17 2014 - 01:38 AM, said:

Lucier's Assault (entire first video complete)
Spoiler

Wow, thank you so much for this! I never realized how frequently get tunnel vision like that. Invaluable commentary.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users