HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Suggested Change to Sniper Zoom

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 StruttingStray

StruttingStray

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted January 24 2014 - 02:01 PM

Anybody else bothered by the fact that you lose information when zooming in with the Sharpshooter or Reaper_

Attached File  suggested_zoom.jpg   250.61K   53 downloads

Would showing radar (and other hud elements) while scoped in make the sniper mechs too powerful_

#2 WarlordZ

WarlordZ

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted January 24 2014 - 02:08 PM

The primary purpose of the scope isn't to zoom in your view, it's to handicap you.  Unscoped shots have a wide spread, while using the scope improves your accuracy at the cost of awareness.

#3 ArnieF4440

ArnieF4440

Muscles

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,198 posts
  • LocationDown Under/invading US west servers

Posted January 24 2014 - 02:55 PM

View PostWarlordZ, on January 24 2014 - 02:08 PM, said:

The primary purpose of the scope isn't to zoom in your view, it's to handicap you.  Unscoped shots have a wide spread, while using the scope improves your accuracy at the cost of awareness.
^, lots of elements in hawken have a downside to them (eg. jumping = less mobility, but now less so then it was before, lol). It is as intended.
Posted Image
Me: Youtube | Drop Bears
Guides: Hawken Tips and Tricks | Fraps + Compression | Lag + Gaming
Rig: i7-920 + H50 | MSI X58A-GD45 | Corsair Dominator 12GB | 2x EVGA GTX 660TI SC+ 3GB | OCZ Vertex 2 120GB | Corsair HX1000 | CM HAF932

#4 DennisKnightPC

DennisKnightPC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh

Posted January 24 2014 - 03:14 PM

your suggested zoom pic (the bottom one especially) would be great imo. The SS doesn't need this advantage so the zoom magnification should be larger and thus the zoom "panel" fill most of the screen, only allowing a little peripheral vision.  The Reaper is supposed to be more frontline so has a lower zoom magnification and a small "panel" as shown in your picture.  This would be a great boon for the Reaper and make it far more user friendly.

Edited by DennisKnightPC, January 24 2014 - 03:15 PM.

Posted Image

i7-3770K//32GB RAM//SSD//R9 270X Vapour

#5 StruttingStray

StruttingStray

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted January 24 2014 - 05:19 PM

View PostArnieF4440, on January 24 2014 - 02:55 PM, said:

^, lots of elements in hawken have a downside to them (eg. jumping = less mobility, but now less so then it was before, lol). It is as intended.

I'd be inclined to believe that losing radar visual when scoping was an intended downside if scoping didn't also give you a slight damage buff as well.

Scoping-in and tunneling your vision is a good balance in most military FPS games because your able to kill in 1 shot. Probem is Hawken has other game mechanics that give a lot of benefits to close range combat, and hamper long range support. Just to be clear, I don't think the SS or Reaper are too UP, just at a disadvantage because of certain game mechanics.

Also, personally the visial effect doesn't make much sense to me, I mean what Is the pilot looking into_ When you zoom in with a rifle in a military FPS your character is actually looking through a scope, but why would you look through a scope in a mech_ (There is a cockpit scope in the Gundam universe though, but their snipers are considerably more powerful)

#6 WarlordZ

WarlordZ

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted January 24 2014 - 08:31 PM

View PostStruttingStray, on January 24 2014 - 05:19 PM, said:

View PostArnieF4440, on January 24 2014 - 02:55 PM, said:

I'd be inclined to believe that losing radar visual when scoping was an intended downside if scoping didn't also give you a slight damage buff as well.
The upside to using the scope is "being good at sniping".  That includes good accuracy and improved damage.
The downside is a lack of situational awareness.  Narrow field of vision and no radar.

It's a handicap because you have to use the scope to be good at what your mech is supposed to do, which means you have to deal with the difficulties it creates.

Edited by WarlordZ, January 24 2014 - 08:35 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users