HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Limitless mega repair charge on legs w/ thrusters attached

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 Exeon

Exeon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • Locationnear the north pole

Posted January 25 2014 - 04:21 PM

The technician as it stands is a god tier mech in TDM. Teams form up in death balls by default in TDM already and when they have a limitless better than the item repair charge(This is including extractor) who is mobile and goes with you anywhere, that stays at your back line of mechs whose only job is to heal up mechs(faster than A's and B's can repair) so they may join their teammates at the front line as the enemy team is slowly chipped away until they are low enough for their team to push and wipe all 6 enemy mechs. Some may escape but that is fine, they will get them after the next battle of attrition that they win by default because: Technician.

Why was the orange beam out of combat increased at all_ This promotes terribly boring play for the technician and both teams of players, assuming they each have 1 tech and know how to rotate mechs in/out.

Someone suggested to make a thread about this and I know i'm not the only one who dislikes this terrible new meta. I'd love to hear if there are any ideas to deal with this outside of nerfing their permanent green beam(ooc orange beam)

Edited by Exeon, January 27 2014 - 12:16 AM.

View PostDew, on April 04 2014 - 01:15 PM, said:

There's a difference between making the hoop 14 feet high and telling all the players that you have to wait for half a second after running before you can shoot the ball.

#2 ThirdEyE

ThirdEyE

Moderator 007

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 607 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted January 25 2014 - 04:29 PM

Is the healing rate determined by the combat state of the Tech or the mech it's healing_
Posted Image

Offering coaching on all mechs, maps, and gametypes, PM if interested.

Violent Resolution - http://vr-gaming.org/

Hawken IRC - #hawkenscrim

#3 FenixStryk

FenixStryk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 798 posts
  • LocationUS-East

Posted January 25 2014 - 04:31 PM

Alternate Title: "The Technician and the Controversy". Teach the controversy, brother!

More seriously, I would have been happier if the Mech if it was reasonably competent in combat and only mediocre at healing. A strict support class ends up being dull to play and frustrating to deal with, no matter how easy, hard or effective it is. More pointed adjustments would be increasing the out-of-combat timer and bringing orange beam down again, but that may be an incomplete solution...

It was fun while it lasted.

#4 Sylhiri

Sylhiri

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,135 posts

Posted January 25 2014 - 04:32 PM

Was there a difference when they had the old values and had full healing at all times_

[13:14] <nonsiccus_work> uh oh

there's gravy in my keyboard

----------------------------------------------------------------------

[11:18] <+shosca> if you wanna play ar, go play zerker
[11:18] <Hyginos> and if you want to play zerker, go smc
[11:19] <someone> if you want to play sustain, please go and die in hell

#5 Muffintrumpet

Muffintrumpet

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted January 25 2014 - 04:51 PM

IMO the whole problem with the Tech is that healing is its primary function, when it should have been secondary
a mech that was combat capable but had a simple but handy trick to land a modest lump of healing on teammates from time to time would have fitted into the game more comfortably than what we have now

the concept of the Tech itself I don't mind, it's the cheap and unimaginative implementation of that concept that I don't like
the devs are hell bent on making healing its primary function, thus combat will never be entirely viable, and having said healing be a zero-skill requirement; until this attitude is adjusted the Tech will remain one of the worst implemented ideas in Hawken's limited history

those recent scrims highlight how the Tech undermines what Hawken should be about: the games with no Techs, and the ones with no items, were so much more engaging to watch, and I dare say to play in

"To the untrained eye this chart may indeed appear to demonstrate a steep and sustained downward trend; however, what you're actually seeing is the line being dragged down because of the strengthening gravitational pull of a player base that is actually increasing in density.  Rest assured, this is all going completely according to plan."

#6 Exeon

Exeon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts

Posted January 25 2014 - 05:32 PM

View PostMuffintrumpet, on January 25 2014 - 04:51 PM, said:

IMO the whole problem with the Tech is that healing is its primary function, when it should have been secondary
a mech that was combat capable but had a simple but handy trick to land a modest lump of healing on teammates from time to time would have fitted into the game more comfortably than what we have now

the concept of the Tech itself I don't mind, it's the cheap and unimaginative implementation of that concept that I don't like
the devs are hell bent on making healing its primary function, thus combat will never be entirely viable, and having said healing be a zero-skill requirement; until this attitude is adjusted the Tech will remain one of the worst implemented ideas in Hawken's limited history

those recent scrims highlight how the Tech undermines what Hawken should be about: the games with no Techs, and the ones with no items, were so much more engaging to watch, and I dare say to play in

Honestly I'd like to see any player who thinks the tech is easy to try to heal me and actually output damage, you have the lowest effective secondary in the game in terms of (d/h)ps, you don't see a single other mech in the game only using their secondary now do you. Actually utilizing yoru primary isn't exactly easy when you have to keep track of your teammate in your range/degree of stickyness as well as track the enemy. However at the moment this is not the case and all they do is sit afk in the back with right mouse button held down waiting for a mech to walk into their degree/range of stickyness, so they can top them off faster than almost all other healing in the game.

Edited by Exeon, January 25 2014 - 05:34 PM.

There's a difference between making the hoop 14 feet high and telling all the players that you have to wait for half a second after running before you can shoot the ball.

#7 DennisKnightPC

DennisKnightPC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh

Posted January 25 2014 - 06:15 PM

I wrote this earlier in a different thread:

View PostDennisKnightPC, on January 25 2014 - 08:17 AM, said:

I think the tech would be awesome if the mechanics of it changed to a system whereby it could only heal team mates by an amount equal to the damage it has inflicted with it's Helix.  Kind of like carrying EU from station to base. If the tech leeches 400 hp from an enemy mech it then has a "bank/resevoir" of 400 hp to heal team mates by. The self healing properties should probably remain the same when using the beam. This would force the tech into combat and require real finesse to use well. Imo it would be a fun mech with a real depth of purpose and remove the negative aspects of it's play.

Posted Image

i7-3770K//32GB RAM//SSD//R9 270X Vapour

#8 X3P0

X3P0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted January 26 2014 - 12:32 AM

View PostExeon, on January 25 2014 - 04:21 PM, said:

The technician as it stands is a god tier mech in TDM. Teams form up in death balls by default in TDM already and when they have a limitless better than the item repair charge(This is including extractor) who is mobile and goes with you anywhere, that stays at your back line of mechs whose only job is to heal up mechs(faster than A's and B's can repair) so they may join their teammates at the front line as the enemy team is slowly chipped away until they are low enough for their team to push and wipe all 6 enemy mechs. Some may escape but that is fine, they will get them after the next battle of attrition that they win by default because: Technician.

Why was the orange beam out of combat increased at all_ This promotes terribly boring play for the technician and both teams of players, assuming they each have 1 tech and know how to rotate mechs in/out.

Someone suggested to make a thread about this and I know i'm not the only one who dislikes this terrible new meta. I'd love to hear if there are any ideas to deal with this outside of nerfing their permanent green beam.

As opposed to the amazing play illustrated by holding that repair button for "fifteen seconds" as xacious mentioned during the scrimmages Why don't you take another peek at the amount of hours of your life you spent holding the C key down it is listed in-game. You must be on the other side of the fence of just about everyone on that one. Guy likes to spend hours holding C panning view /shrug
  • Repair Torch
    • Increased reconstruction rate while target taking damage from 35 to 40
    • Increased reconstruction rate while target not taking damage from 55 to 70
    • Decreased reconstruction beam lock-on degrees from 75 to 60
  • Amplification Ability
    • Decreased reconstruction rate while target taking damage from 130 to 80
    • Decreased reconstruction rate while target not taking damage from 150 to 140
Developer's Note: We wanted to increase the Technician's regular effectiveness but reduced beam stickiness to force the user to track their target a bit more. We also wanted to pull Amplification back a bit so that there is a better chance to out damage the repair rate in combat.

Green beam was balanced so that targets are easier to burst down during combat by a metric ton (there healing being reduced by a HUGE amount --> healing outside of combat otherwise known as kills your team could not secure, was increased, back to battle you go - no time to take in the scenery and paint your fingernails you are going back to combat

when they have a limitless better than the item repair charge
And grenade launchers have limitless better than he charges, or were you not going to tackle that issue because your logic confuses you too_

Technicians do how much healing in combat exactly in proportion to one enemy mechs dps. I want you to run the number of how small the healing amount is compared to what a single mech is capable of putting out. Your looking at a possible how much 120-200 dps per enemy mech, per single mech - when we look at the best possible circumstances on both ends, assuming not a single secondary weapons system in the game does splash damage. Players at the high tier are incapable of applying splash damage at all so we will ignore splash damage, because those numbers would blow your friggin mind in comparison and we have more learning to do here.

Lets talk about armor values, somewhere between 500 and 1000 on the heavy set members of our mech family.
Id like to mention A class mechs at the low end, now I'm done mentioning them because they died faster than this sentence was written. The A class mech died in 3 seconds flat, that is how long they took to die if items never existed and only 1 enemy mech was firing with 3, one second, with 6, you get the idea. The fat fatty mech didn't last all that much longer.

Lets say this mech is now being reconstructed, otherwise known as the vast majority of time that is not green beam time, silly me, why try they died in 4 seconds instead of 3. But wait folks technically :) The technician :) Effectively gave this mech 25 % more life, which means that in a scenario of multiple mechs focusing it, it would still die in a fraction of a second even if it could get that lump of health up front.

The time to kill is not all that bad for towering mechanical behemoths, Especially not with those wide load hitboxes that threw fps skills out the window, Aiming is the devil I agree, and man we got some juicy sized targets in this game. This is fortunate. But wait, this can't be correct, I feel like mechs typically can take a bit longer than that to kill. That is correct folks, mechs bob and weave like no other, there they will be out in plain open site for maybe a second, maybe more, maybe just a peak and a swift dodge to retreat after a fine alpha strike. Now although that occurs, much of the time, in "organized scrimmages" and play we see 2400 rated players appear out in the open for three seconds or more trying to lay down unholy fire, usually to some great success.

Now imagine a competitive scene where a group of players, can listen to a command, read and react to that command and fire upon a single target. The target was not low, it was not 8%, it was full life. That mech is now dead. You can tell me that is not very realistic there are varying factors, I mean after all there is a lot going on in a quick paced environment of texas sized juggernaut targets moving about completely in contrast - with gigantor nametags over their heads wondering around how could any human possibly be able to read or react to such a tense situation. Well I would think much like the thousands of professional competitive gamers before them who had half a second to react to given stimuli yet were able to accomplish their task, that they too pursuing a dream of perfecting the art and mastering a game would indeed be able to follow organized competitive play - to be able to hit the massive target in unison as to secure the kill, and go bang the prom queen.

I like that, instead of developing meta - time is spent bellyaching about a class that by the numbers is not the issue, the stigma, the whining, the give up attitude is the issue. After all why should anybody even try to coordinate, might as well just play co-op versus ai, otherwise known as the feat several times harder than playing the game because the talent within the ai is above the level of play shown at the highest tiers. If you can't deal with tech how on earth would you ever have a chance at what's coming next.

zero skill requirement techs, come on, Zero skill compared to what exactly, landing  a secondary on a texas sized juggernaut towering robot_ What was the skill comparison_ It certainly wasn't focusing fire or the bare minimum basics you' would expect to see mastered in competitive play.

Any other ideas on the technician being magically different than other mechs other than a bit of armor per second which is laughable compared to the dps capabilities of mechs or the actual possibilities of competitive top tier play as opposed to the current state_

Edited by X3P0, January 26 2014 - 12:51 AM.

#9 Sylhiri

Sylhiri

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,135 posts

Posted January 26 2014 - 12:56 AM

Proof. Give some.

[13:14] <nonsiccus_work> uh oh

there's gravy in my keyboard

----------------------------------------------------------------------

[11:18] <+shosca> if you wanna play ar, go play zerker
[11:18] <Hyginos> and if you want to play zerker, go smc
[11:19] <someone> if you want to play sustain, please go and die in hell

#10 HugeGuts

HugeGuts

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted January 26 2014 - 09:03 AM

I like limited Repair Torch ammo that refills from Deconstructor damage the best. However, considering the effort to put in such a system for just one mech, I think there is a need for alternative ideas:

Tie fuel to the Repair Torch and give the Technician the slowest fuel regen. It walks so fast it doesn't need to boost often.

Add a healing ramp. When a Technician starts a heal, it has a reduced heal rate. The more the Technician heals, the faster the heal rate becomes until it reaches max heal rate. The heal rate resets whenever the Repair Torch connection breaks.

Edited by HugeGuts, January 26 2014 - 09:04 AM.

#11 Wasabi_Wei

Wasabi_Wei

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 942 posts
  • LocationMadison, Wisconsin, USA, Earth

Posted January 26 2014 - 03:27 PM

View PostX3P0, on January 26 2014 - 12:32 AM, said:

.....Whole buncha stuff....
Any other ideas on the technician being magically different than other mechs other than a bit of armor per second which is laughable compared to the dps capabilities of mechs or the actual possibilities of competitive top tier play as opposed to the current state_

While I detest the Technician, I like and appreciate your argument here. I thought logically that it would work out as you describe (focused fire and DPS mechs in general should render the Tech moot, if I read you right).

*cue Paul Harvey voice-over*   ----  'Now, for the rest of the story' ---

In live matches I see the presence of a Tech tipping the scales on a regular and completely repeatable basis. The map (math) is not the terrain (in-game results). I can switch to Tech and save matches pretty regularly and I am not that great of a pilot to make such a difference normally. I only use the Tech if the other team is using one and is ahead by 5 or more, so my testing has that built-in bias, but I think it is valid nonetheless.

Edited by Wasabi_Wei, January 26 2014 - 03:29 PM.

Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world. - Grateful Dead lyric, but really true.

Just Saying: "If an officer of the law expects to be treated as such, then they had better act as one and uphold our laws and Rights in the pursuit of Justice."

#12 Exeon

Exeon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts

Posted January 26 2014 - 04:06 PM

View PostX3P0, on January 26 2014 - 12:32 AM, said:

a bunch of stuff not relating to my main topic

When you actually play the game for more than a few days you'll see what I was actually talking about instead of writing long walls of texts that include only one paragraph of combined sentences pertaining to the actual topic trying to be discussed here. As someone who watched the IO scrims and someone who keeps claiming how competitive they are in other games I'd assume you could pay attention to what is going on a bit better. The technicians are no longer mechs that take part in combat, no, that would limit their maximum potential. Every game involving tech involved the tech sitting well behind is front line rotating between low health players topping them off and rarely anything else. Combat tech(healing) is still viable and something that I will try and use in competitive play down the road but why would you ever utilize it for its mid tier capabilities when it has god tier capabilities you can activate by just standing still behind a wall eating a sandwhich with some good ol' Space Jam on the second monitor with your right mouse button taped down facing in a direction so that mechs can walk in front of you. I love the tech and have been one of its biggest supporters from day one but, I'm not going to support a play style that involves the mech never taking part in combat.

Now you made one good point which has been brought up quite a few times before your day(jan 22nd): Our repair times are extremely long and that is a very boring aspect of the game, fixing this incredibly boring aspect by requiring a tech is not how you make your game more enjoyable. Both of these problems need to be addressed.

Edited by Exeon, January 26 2014 - 04:12 PM.

#13 X3P0

X3P0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted January 26 2014 - 06:15 PM

When you actually play the game for more than a few days you'll see what I was actually talking about instead of writing long walls of texts that include only one paragraph of combined sentences pertaining to the actual topic trying to be discussed here. As someone who watched the IO scrims and someone who keeps claiming how competitive they are in other games I'd assume you could pay attention to what is going on a bit better. The technicians are no longer mechs that take part in combat, no, that would limit their maximum potential. Every game involving tech involved the tech sitting well behind is front line rotating between low health players topping them off and rarely anything else. Combat tech(healing) is still viable and something that I will try and use in competitive play down the road but why would you ever utilize it for its mid tier capabilities when it has god tier capabilities you can activate by just standing still behind a wall eating a sandwhich with some good ol' Space Jam on the second monitor with your right mouse button taped down facing in a direction so that mechs can walk in front of you. I love the tech and have been one of its biggest supporters from day one but, I'm not going to support a play style that involves the mech never taking part in combat.

Now you made one good point which has been brought up quite a few times before your day(jan 22nd): Our repair times are extremely long and that is a very boring aspect of the game, fixing this incredibly boring aspect by requiring a tech is not how you make your game more enjoyable. Both of these problems need to be addressed.

Edited by Exeon, Today, 04:12 PM.

Although interesting to read you dismiss text on the basis that you feel you played a game longer_ In the real world its not far from the guy who need a coach after playing for 300+ hours. Stop you in your tracks there where mental acuity differs from one person to another which is why researchers do not trollolol "this guys only been studying brain neurology a month".

You will not be taken seriously if you cannot compose yourself better than that. Instead of trying so hard to dismiss what others have said you can try, thinking of acceptable responses to statements and inquiries other than ranting about play time, which might I add is questionable how much it did for you beyond any other use of time in the world.

If your aim is to use scare tactics to rid opposition of your ideas, to qualm the voice of the player base I think you have a lot to learn in the world. You do not address a single line in your response other than what xacious mentioned about repair times - and tech being a solution to that issue that requires more from a player than "lol reducing repair time". You do not address a sheer inability to secure kills or the lack of coordination leading to problems present meta, because you feel you, on your word are above addressing valid statements due to playing a game for however many hours it took you to get this "enlightened". I do not think your setting any records there but I digress.

If your qualm comes down to, not how to efficiently deal with tech, but that you are angry about the play styles people have taken accustom to in the last week in an ever evolving meta; perhaps you should look at next week. If you are displeased with the effectiveness you have with tech when you play it in a specific manner - You might want to try experimenting. If you are frustrated an enemy team has not developed strategies to eliminate your tech or front line for that matter - maybe you should give them some time to develop strategies to get past a front line, it will help them in the future when they need to bypass players to tackle an objective.

In your story of the invulnerable tech you mention 2 players being in some impenetrable back line in the fortress of solitude. You make no mention of how the remaining 6 versus 4 conflict is too hard to handle for you or your teamates. How you are lacking the ability or forethought to take advantage of a situation or opening, because that would require teamwork and trained players able to read and adapt who think beyond I do not know, "lol techs here stalemate game over"

Does your point really come down to :I do not like the playstyle that I or others have displayed: when playing tech_ A point about as valid as "I do not like when rocketeers jump up lunch missiles and hide away"_ Because I think there is more swirling around in that brain than the situation combat we have seen recently, which you yourself would think is a complete impasse due to your knowledge and experience.

#14 Silverfire

Silverfire

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,042 posts
  • LocationThe Depths of Coruscant

Posted January 26 2014 - 06:43 PM

Snip

Edited by Silverfire, January 27 2014 - 05:24 AM.

Posted Image

Check out my new short film Prebirth: The Eternal War! Check out my e-peen!

Need to find a mech guide_ Well, look here!
Intel Core i3 2120 @ 3.30 GHz |  Corsair XMS3 8GB RAM | eVGA GTX 550Ti 1GB OC | Corsair CX600 PSU

#15 X3P0

X3P0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted January 26 2014 - 07:38 PM

. And you also cannot be taken as seriously as somebody who's only been in the game for less than a week and already dismissing some very veteran opinions as poorly based and the individual person as inexperienced. These opinions based on experience, something that you sorely lack when compared individually to Exeon. You've made a few good points, but few people will continue to take you seriously if you keep acting all high and mighty and keep discounting their opinion as "nothing related" when you yourself are doing the same thing. I don't need a dictionary or a thesaurus to figure out what that kind of person is.

Although I am certain someone will find value in your opinion that the account I am currently logged into the forums as is less than a week old, it is easily discredited and thrown away at second glance by the same undeniable logic posted prior. Said experience is nothing but time playing a game, which as we have seen is remarkably different person to person based on ones ability to learn. Again the example of the player having invested 300 hours and requesting coaching advice. You cannot stick to your mythology and mis-reason amid-st someone with a clue in this world and shame on you for thinking the avid reader out there would be convinced by such petty refutable logic. When will you forfeit to reason and come up with some new material why I should not expect more from people. Is it that difficult for you personally to think of a better blanket statement than time played = win, I am sorry it does not work the way you wish.

High and mighty is what you observe, you observe logic and reason discussed here as a force greater than oneself. You observe clear thinking and validity as the enemy. Never would you leave intellectual thought to itself without some back story of proven worth to base it on as if it had relevance or value. I find value in ideas alone not in whoever is attached to those ideas. If you find my written word moving, if you feel as if I am portraying myself as the mightier contestant in some battle- I want you to take a step back and use your ability to reason to see it is the words, the statements themselves - its being correct that you find to be high and mighty and than apply what you gather from the written text to me thereafter. It is not applicable. Your e-knighting will not help the discussion, nor does it add anything to the discussion but display your emotions of the matter - It is not needed. Instead I would encourage you to use your ideas on the subject, should you feel they are of any worth to convince those reading that perhaps there is error before us.

Edited by X3P0, January 26 2014 - 07:39 PM.

#16 Silverfire

Silverfire

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,042 posts
  • LocationThe Depths of Coruscant

Posted January 26 2014 - 08:16 PM

Taken to PM to sort out before this thread goes even more off topic than it already has.

Edited by Silverfire, January 26 2014 - 08:17 PM.

Posted Image

Check out my new short film Prebirth: The Eternal War! Check out my e-peen!

Need to find a mech guide_ Well, look here!
Intel Core i3 2120 @ 3.30 GHz |  Corsair XMS3 8GB RAM | eVGA GTX 550Ti 1GB OC | Corsair CX600 PSU

#17 DennisKnightPC

DennisKnightPC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh

Posted January 26 2014 - 09:17 PM

View PostX3P0, on January 26 2014 - 07:38 PM, said:

Said experience is nothing but time playing a game, which as we have seen is remarkably different person to person based on ones ability to learn. Again the example of the player having invested 300 hours and requesting coaching advice.

Although I don't wish to get too involved I would point out that the player you're referring to isn't after coaching because of their ability to learn the game after 300 hours of play time.  Irish is a very capable player with what I must assume, given the servers he frequents, a fairly high rating.  The request for coaching, I believe, is more of an advanced tuition thing.

There are valid points on both sides of the argument regarding Techs but a powerplay involving a back-line tech is, by general consensus, dull and OP, regardless of whether the meta can/could/should/will counter it or not.  I don't even think people enjoy playing the tech that way, they just take the "fun-hit" in order to benefit the team.  And fun is the important word there, the tech is not particularly fun to play with or against, you're just obliged to in order to stay competitive. So I think the real question/issue is not whether the Tech CAN be countered or one about meta balance etc but what is actually best for the game to keep it fun and interesting.  Long term, I personally believe there is a place for the tech it just needs some changes.

Posted Image

i7-3770K//32GB RAM//SSD//R9 270X Vapour

#18 Dracorean

Dracorean

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted January 26 2014 - 09:20 PM

It's not that hard to focus fire and kill the thing, even if you bring it to low health or shoot at it at times it will run from the heat of combat to repair or find someone else to latch onto. This thing kinda reminds me of the medic in TF2, but less capable of taking on targets on its own. Its primarily support, and to make it more combat oriented, you might as well use another mech altogether.

Its probably more notable in TDM due to the repair orbs that fly around that can also heal up your mech. Which can improve a mech's self repair capability if there is a tech in a fight. Which would put emphasis on the tech being a primary target in such fights.

Edited by Dracorean, January 26 2014 - 09:23 PM.

#19 X3P0

X3P0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted January 26 2014 - 11:37 PM

View PostDracorean, on January 26 2014 - 09:20 PM, said:

It's not that hard to focus fire and kill the thing, even if you bring it to low health or shoot at it at times it will run from the heat of combat to repair or find someone else to latch onto. This thing kinda reminds me of the medic in TF2, but less capable of taking on targets on its own. Its primarily support, and to make it more combat oriented, you might as well use another mech altogether.

Its probably more notable in TDM due to the repair orbs that fly around that can also heal up your mech. Which can improve a mech's self repair capability if there is a tech in a fight. Which would put emphasis on the tech being a primary target in such fights.

I can agree in part. Any mech can be destroyed as we have discussed within a pretty short time frame or window of opportunity. But I think it is important to note that sometimes in play we see scenarios where which although this idea rings true the variables change. For instance directing team fire towards a particular mech ensuring they cannot retreat, thereby taking a well hidden technician out of the equation entirely when they could be in some safe area off to the side or orchestrating a flank with thoughtful choices. Its risky business the further hidden away a technician may be and the risk is that much greater when grouped or near players with the prevalence of splash damage.

The difference in healing through a hit and trying to play catch up is pretty vast due to the low amount of healing possible compared to the amount of incoming damage possible. Getting players to focus fire correctly in a short time frame is the even greater task, although we see this happen all the time in professional gaming; precise timing, leadership, reading and reacting. In many cases a player might sooner give up, after all they might not have the tools or training to deal with a particular circumstance. They might not have had to train several hours a day with the five other same people day in and day out to be able to orchestrate the kind of maneuvers necessary to defeat an opposing mech or win a particular match.

You see the scene of organized play in Hawken is relatively new and fresh. The population base is still small and those players that do participate might not adhere to a strict regime of training - maybe they just like to play with relatively decent friends and have fun. There is likely little punishment or order going around when a player does not perform a specific action as directed. At times it can come down to how seriously the play is taken and that says a lot when it comes to balance.

Somebody might say, tech and tech this is a stalemate, another person might see plenty of opportunity. sometimes the high value target is not the tech but whoever opens themselves to fire. It is realizing these situations when they arise and coordinating players at a higher degree that will get you through this fight.

I think you make a great point when you mention if dps is a concern you might as well implement a different mech. I think you show a lot of understanding in the matter when we hear people discussing ways to make the Technician just another boom boom mech. That would provide some variety! More dps! It is troubling to hear because the dps seems rather considerable given the effect of the deconstructor when it is called for. Although we may not see the champion of 1v1's it is quite the interesting facet of play to be able to heal yourself while dealing damage and how much that is worth.

Another interesting phenomena is the role the Technician plays in the average players experience. I find its very rare to find them lacking in movement or focus when playing up additional accounts. To see this simply make an alternate account and play your way up, although be weary the forums might just have you posting from the alternate account, so if you do try this try and re-log to the prior account to provide consistency to the reader or mention you are that user. Players -- in relation to this topic might make the assumption that this is the experience or knowledge pool posters are referring to in their statements so I think it may be important to acknowledge the scene here and separate it from what we see in higher ranking games.

We see stories of technicians bottled down in an area without moving, I cannot imagine it would be very fun to play against a group of players where I felt I did not even have to try. I would crave so dearly the development of the game and the scene as to usher in a better play environment, on that matter I feel I already do crave the games future and where it takes us, I think we all do. I hear these reports and sometime we can even see this play out either in our normal matches for those of us who play with 2300-2400 players or through uploaded footage. It troubles me to view these things when not in the cockpit myself as solutions arise yet you see the players not taking advantage of the circumstances in which they are put. They just are not trained to deal and adapt in situations as well as they have trained themselves in solo play and playing the game for fun with friends. There is just too little emphasis on that sort of advanced game play. What will interest me is who playing today will make the roster or cut tomorrow. Who from this scene will make it to the next and so on and what groups or clans will rise up to claim victory or lead the way.

A lot of discussion follows the tech and a lot of ideas have been seeded into peoples minds as what this mech is, what it does and how to deal with it. So many points of view and realms of experience, it stands to be a very hot mech.

Edited by X3P0, January 26 2014 - 11:40 PM.

#20 Exeon

Exeon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts

Posted January 27 2014 - 01:14 AM

View PostX3P0, on January 26 2014 - 06:15 PM, said:

Edited by Exeon, Today, 04:12 PM.

Although interesting to read you dismiss text on the basis that you feel you played a game longer_ In the real world its not far from the guy who need a coach after playing for 300+ hours. Stop you in your tracks there where mental acuity differs from one person to another which is why researchers do not trollolol "this guys only been studying brain neurology a month".

You will not be taken seriously if you cannot compose yourself better than that. Instead of trying so hard to dismiss what others have said you can try, thinking of acceptable responses to statements and inquiries other than ranting about play time, which might I add is questionable how much it did for you beyond any other use of time in the world.

If your aim is to use scare tactics to rid opposition of your ideas, to qualm the voice of the player base I think you have a lot to learn in the world. You do not address a single line in your response other than what xacious mentioned about repair times - and tech being a solution to that issue that requires more from a player than "lol reducing repair time". You do not address a sheer inability to secure kills or the lack of coordination leading to problems present meta, because you feel you, on your word are above addressing valid statements due to playing a game for however many hours it took you to get this "enlightened". I do not think your setting any records there but I digress.

If your qualm comes down to, not how to efficiently deal with tech, but that you are angry about the play styles people have taken accustom to in the last week in an ever evolving meta; perhaps you should look at next week. If you are displeased with the effectiveness you have with tech when you play it in a specific manner - You might want to try experimenting. If you are frustrated an enemy team has not developed strategies to eliminate your tech or front line for that matter - maybe you should give them some time to develop strategies to get past a front line, it will help them in the future when they need to bypass players to tackle an objective.

In your story of the invulnerable tech you mention 2 players being in some impenetrable back line in the fortress of solitude. You make no mention of how the remaining 6 versus 4 conflict is too hard to handle for you or your teamates. How you are lacking the ability or forethought to take advantage of a situation or opening, because that would require teamwork and trained players able to read and adapt who think beyond I do not know, "lol techs here stalemate game over"

Does your point really come down to :I do not like the playstyle that I or others have displayed: when playing tech_ A point about as valid as "I do not like when rocketeers jump up lunch missiles and hide away"_ Because I think there is more swirling around in that brain than the situation combat we have seen recently, which you yourself would think is a complete impasse due to your knowledge and experience.

My argument is this: The technician allows a team to take fire without it actually mattering while the enemy team can't even see let alone hurt him. Their teammates fall back for 4-5 seconds at a time and they're back in combat at full health. While the most skilled teams may in fact be able to deal with this, you don't balance a game based on what the top .0000000000001% of players are capable of. As to your "why don't you take advantage of the mech dropping back" statement, you're ignoring the fact that pushing on 4 players is quite hard.   Additionally, the 5th mech is already at full health and fighting alongside his teammates within 3-6 seconds.

As to my first sentence, it was not meant to discredit your opinion but poking at the fact that you appeared to have missed my point almost entirely, writing nearly your entire post based on something I made no comment of. I'm all for a ever changing meta and interesting gameplay that mechs like the tech can bring but, they are practically not even playing the game in their current implementation.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users