HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

HAWKEN on Steam: Early Access

News Update

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#41 Cpt_Kill_Jack

Cpt_Kill_Jack

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts
  • LocationCastle Rock, CO

Posted February 11 2014 - 06:44 PM

OK there are reasons. Steam will let you do early access without a price tag but most do charge. Steam will only let the developer choose one of either early access or preorders but not both. They both can have multiple packages but Preorders can have more than one package but won't give the player immediate access.

TL;DR
Steam makes The developer charge for Early Access.
Steam will let the developer choose one or the other Early access or preorders. Most now do Early Access and do charge for it to get those extra funds while still getting testers into the game.

Edited by Cpt_Kill_Jack, February 13 2014 - 07:13 AM.

#42 RooksBailey

RooksBailey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted February 11 2014 - 06:45 PM

View Post[HWK]ZamboniChaos, on February 11 2014 - 06:33 PM, said:

View PostRooksBailey, on February 11 2014 - 06:26 PM, said:

I miss the "War is a Machine" tag line though.  I want that to come back.  :)

Rejoice!

Posted Image

LOL!  Great!  Now I want to see it in the trailer!  ;)

#43 Hijinks_The_Turtle

Hijinks_The_Turtle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,569 posts
  • LocationTurtles be turtlin'

Posted February 11 2014 - 06:47 PM

View PostCpt_Kill_Jack, on February 11 2014 - 06:44 PM, said:

OK there are reasons. Steam will let you do early access but only with a price tag. They will also only allow one package under early access. Steam will only let the developer choose one of either early access or preorders but not both. Preorders can have more than one package but won't give the player immediate access.

This is Steam/Valves policy getting in the way. User Entertainment went through this and explained everything about Steams policy. Their early access at this time for Planetary Annihilation was $90.

TL;DR

Really_ O_o  Whoa didn't know that one.  If that's so, it does explain this uncharacteristic move by ADH.  I'm newish to Steam so I wouldn't know. xD

Edited by Hijinks_The_Turtle, February 11 2014 - 07:11 PM.

#44 CounterlogicMan

CounterlogicMan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted February 11 2014 - 06:51 PM

Well, so much for the huge influx of players I was so excited for. All in good time. Do it right, not quick.

Edited by CounterlogicMan, February 11 2014 - 06:51 PM.

#45 Cpt_Kill_Jack

Cpt_Kill_Jack

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Posted February 11 2014 - 07:01 PM

You guys started quoting before I finished. I hit the wrong button on the phone writing this from work.

#46 one_up

one_up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted February 11 2014 - 07:02 PM

I think Dota 2 did something similar to help control server load when leaving open beta

#47 KeramatZMode

KeramatZMode

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Posted February 11 2014 - 07:22 PM

Sounds like a bit of a bad move if you ask me. I don't know how to put it in a better word for it.

I was hyping up the game with all my friends on every single social sites there is, to get more people occupying the asian servers.
Everyone was like, yeah we're downloading the game since it's up on steam, see you on 12 feb.

Then bam, early access "package" out of nowhere. Sure it's server load and stuff, but do we even have THAT kind of server load_ Why not server test_ Why not "buy this package to get early access or wait up till your key get sent like everyone else_".

But meh, it can't be helped. At least I can buy MC again.
Sorry ADH, this time you kinda lost my respect there.

>>Artdump Thread|Moe-fied Mechs<<Posted Image
CIRNO BAKA MK-3 scout | ULTRAGUNNER vanguard | BETA-REMOVER berserker | WANZER rocketeer | NINEBALLIN' raider

#48 Putroid

Putroid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted February 11 2014 - 07:33 PM

OK there are reasons. Steam will let you do early access but only with a price tag. They will also only allow one package under early access. Steam will only let the developer choose one of either early access or preorders but not both. Preorders can have more than one package but won't give the player immediate access.

This is Steam/Valves policy getting in the way. User Entertainment went through this and explained everything about Steams policy. Their early access at this time for Planetary Annihilation was $90.

TL;DR

That explains a lot, but doesn't give them immunity to criticism.

They could have kept supprt from their launcher or have  " released " the open beta on steam. It has been done before.

#49 Lucier

Lucier

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • LocationUS East

Posted February 11 2014 - 07:41 PM

View PostMech__Warrior, on February 11 2014 - 06:21 PM, said:

"However, all secondary weapons possess a special ability that provides additional functionality. Use the middle mouse button to activate that ability."

I don't think this is true regarding the grenade launcher, nor the TOW.

The middle mouse button detonates grenades & TOWs.

#50 fingerknitter

fingerknitter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted February 11 2014 - 07:54 PM

Cpt_Kill_Jack, on February 11 2014 - 06:44 PM, said:

TL;DR

It's a steam thing, so I can see why some of us may have been somewhat confused, but I doubt that the usual Steam group will misunderstand it :)

[HWK]ZamboniChaos, on December 10 2013 - 05:29 PM, said:

Sure thing! :D Thanks for being constructive.
Raider Corsair to replace Brawler's TOW: MAKE IT HAPPEN
BlackSteelBrotherhood
I figured out how to enable friendly fire; get some friends, join a DM, pick team captains, and enjoy :)

#51 1kingsman

1kingsman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted February 11 2014 - 08:23 PM

Ok. Right now. Take a look at the button you have to enlist and download the game. It reads (and I quote) "You are free to fight! Play free." Clicking on the button leads you to a page where you have to buy a key on Steam in order to play the game. Get rid of this button now. It is false advertising, and is wrong on so many levels. If you have to purchase anything to play the game, even right now in early access, it is not free right now and all things must reflect that.

P.S. you might want to take a look at this chat box. Typing for a while, using the formatting toolbar to format text as you type, clicking to disable formatting when you are done, continuing to type, then backspacing to correct a typo causes you to start backspacing from the last time you clicked on the toolbar, not where the cursor is actually at.

#52 nokari

nokari

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted February 11 2014 - 08:28 PM

Dat aerial shot of the group of mechs boosting in Facility is gorgeous.

Just saying.

Posted Image

#53 Cpt_Kill_Jack

Cpt_Kill_Jack

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Posted February 11 2014 - 08:38 PM

View Post1kingsman, on February 11 2014 - 08:23 PM, said:

Ok. Right now. Take a look at the button you have to enlist and download the game. It reads (and I quote) "You are free to fight! Play free." Clicking on the button leads you to a page where you have to buy a key on Steam in order to play the game. Get rid of this button now. It is false advertising, and is wrong on so many levels. If you have to purchase anything to play the game, even right now in early access, it is not free right now and all things must reflect that.

P.S. you might want to take a look at this chat box. Typing for a while, using the formatting toolbar to format text as you type, clicking to disable formatting when you are done, continuing to type, then backspacing to correct a typo causes you to start backspacing from the last time you clicked on the toolbar, not where the cursor is actually at.

I do partially agree but it's a steam policy stranglehold that is making them do it.

As for the post box it's one of the bugs that is in this version of IP.Board.

#54 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

Lithium Cellophane Unicorn Salad

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted February 11 2014 - 09:17 PM

Steam policies aside, this is a clever business tactic.
Games are drumming up a lot of money these days charging for early access (even if in a case like Hawken's, where the early access isn't really early).

There's going to be a lot of people hearing about this for the first time through Steam, and plenty of them are willing to throw cash in for "exclusivity". "Exclusivity", even temporary exclusivity, is a powerful concept. Never underestimate what it can do to a persons mindset.

I'll leave the moral/ethical issues about it up to you to consider for yourself.
Doesn't particularly bother me. Pretty standard practice for the industry, and smart business.

[HWK]HUGHES, on July 03 2013 - 11:07 PM, said:

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

#55 DFTR

DFTR

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts
  • LocationAustin, Tx

Posted February 11 2014 - 09:20 PM

I still dislike Steam and it's policies like this that reinforce my dislike.
That being said, I think it is better that the game went into steam.
Thanks for the explanation Captain.

TL;DR

[font=play, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]TAW Recruitment[/font]
[font=play, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]We are always looking to recruit new members. If you are interested in joining a great team and experiencing tactical play at its very best, fill out the [/font]application[font=play, helvetica, arial, sans-serif] on our website now. One of our dedicated staff will be in touch very soon after your application is received but if you have any questions please feel free to drop me a PM. We use Teamspeak3 to communicate on our own secure and professionally maintained servers. [/font]

#56 dEd101

dEd101

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted February 11 2014 - 10:19 PM

Can existing users get a similar pack without the mechs for a lower price. I have two of most of them but I'd like all the skulls and goodies that come with.

Edited by dEd101, February 11 2014 - 10:20 PM.

General tips and tricks: https://community.pl...-tricks-thread/
Wolfyftw videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/wolfyFTW (click on the 'Mindgamer' episodes)
Promo Codes (free money): https://community.pl...90-promo-codes/
Stats (all credit to AsianJoyKiller and the other contributors): https://docs.google....lrQjM5Tmc#gid=0 (don't forget to scroll right)

#57 KaszaWspraju

KaszaWspraju

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 922 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted February 11 2014 - 10:24 PM

Pity you for choosing to enter the worst trend in the steam and the entire gaming industry, paying for early access,  $ 30.

INTEL i5-4670K * ASUS Z87-A * GOODRAM DDR3 2x4GB * GIGABYTE GTX 760 OC rev 2.0 * X-Fi XTREME MUSIC * GRADO SR-60

SAMSUNG EVO 120GB * OCZ STEALTHXSTREAM 2 600W * Win 7 64
@ defekt : Mobility is King and burst damage is Queen. Checkmate.
Gdy byłem młodszy byłem bardziej beztroski... aha... nie lubię już POLSKI !

#58 ShadowWarg

ShadowWarg

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,384 posts
  • LocationIn the shadows behind you

Posted February 11 2014 - 10:29 PM

So is the content patch coming with this thrusday or is it just early access_

#59 Draigun

Draigun

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Location̵̨ͤ̈́͆̀ͯ̌ͮ͛̋̏͊ͣ̃ͥ̿͢͏̷̩͉̹̪̬̫͍͇̜̼͖͈ ̪͚͙̬̘̼̥̱̣̤ͪ̎́͑̀͟V̶̢̨̛̙̳͙̘̲͚̫̜̯̮̱̯̯̂ͫ͊̆͌͒̾̓̽͑̾ͯͣ̀̚ ͌́́̅̍͛̈́ͩ̏̏ͤ̆̅̋̽ͮ̌̕҉̻̬̳͍͓̺̱̩̜́͢Ȩ̴̘͓̻̫̭̳͈͚̩̭̰͖̝̯̼̥͇̖ͬ̒̇̐̆́͘ ̶̴̡̔̒͒͆̈́͏̠̯̥͍̳͈̘̦̖̖͚͙̬̺̕G̛͖͇̺͔̹͌̿̌̓̉͒ͬ̇̿ͭ͒͂̍̒ͫ̈́̔ͫ͢ ͯ́͛̊͌͊ͮ̓͜͏̥͚̞̺͓̗͙̪̜̰͖͖͈̬̘Ȃ̷̢̭͓̮͈̠̑ͥͫ̍̑̌̈́̔̋͛̑

Posted February 11 2014 - 10:30 PM

It's all about perspective here:

From a PC gamer standpoint, it would certainly seem to not make sense, but what ADH/Meteor are doing is better for the game for both sides, whether we like it or not. The game isn't ready to be released yet, and the amount of stress the system can take is unknown. Remember, HAWKEN is opening up to a very large audience, and this has not happened before in HAWKEN history. Therefore, it is better to limit the player base in this situation that has extensive overhauls (i.e. Steam release patch).

This is only for a limited time, and players waiting to play probably won't have to wait for a long time. With that being said, stop whining about it and respect the decision. Don't want to pay $29.99 for early access to a soon to be F2P game on Steam_ Then don't, especially when you can simply wait it out. Those complaining likely either have close-minded viewpoints, or are simply impatient for the game to come out on Steam for full access.

However, I do understand that it's considered greedy from a PC gamer standpoint - that HAWKEN is not F2P at the moment, and costs a ridiculous price (I do agree that the price is quite high, $19.99 would probably have had the same result in my opinion with reduced benefits of course), especially when previous players are obviously getting early access without the fee. But when you think about it, players who joined back then, were generally there to offer constructive feedback.

What's making everyone butthurt is the fact that the game was absolutely free to play for the longest time, and all of a sudden, the game makes rapid changes, which includes the decision to put it up for early access on Steam with a price tag. Ironically, the people who are complaining actually don't need the package and early access, since they already have access to it. But what about people wishing to play without a fee_ Well, they should have enlisted beforehand, otherwise they will have to wait. The game wasn't suppose to become prevalent on the PC gaming market until now.

TL;DR:

Putting up a player base limiter masquerading as an early access entry point to the game is quite an intelligent decision. The company will be able to generate money, all the while limiting the stress on the systems and getting a few more players in. What better way then to execute it like such_ Since this game is F2P, funds have to become reality for this game to continue to exist - remember that.

Edited by Draigun, February 11 2014 - 10:57 PM.

Posted Image

"The flesh is dying, and we're the next big thing.
The world we know is every bit of real — and a hell of a lot more pure — than this decaying mudball you're trying to save.
Ascension lies in new ideas, not dusted-off old ones."
  - Philosophy of the Virtual Adepts

#60 Py687

Py687

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationParadise City

Posted February 11 2014 - 10:30 PM

Uh, let me get this straight.

You want people to pay $30 to handle an increase in server load_ Where's that load going to come from ... the people who pay $30_

Don't count your chickens before they hatch, ADH.

smh

Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: News, Update

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users