HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Hawken TPG League! Official Organized Play!

• Please log in to reply
186 replies to this topic

#1 Xacius

Xacius

The Saltan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,889 posts
  • LocationOther games, waiting for dev beacon

Posted February 16 2014 - 09:01 PM

Update 4/30/2014:

If you're a west player that was unsure of playing in the TPG League due to the east server requirement, then feel free to sign up.  The pre-season is underway, but the main season won't be starting for another week and a half.  You still have over one month to sign up with a team (though signing up before the main season starts will give you a better chance of making it to the finals).

With the upcoming Central servers, pings should be evenly distributed between East and West.  The current plan is to use these servers for the TPG League, but if problems arise then we may reconsider.  

More information will come later!  Be sure to check the http://www.tpgleague.org/hwk/ page!

Old stuff:

EDIT: If you're looking for a team, please join the Free Agents team!  
Posted Image

Do note that you are not required to have a clan to sign up for the league, but players cannot be shared across separate teams.  Please see the league rules section for more information.  PLEASE MAKE YOUR TPG USERNAME THE EXACT SAME AS YOUR HAWKEN CALLSIGN!

There are no barriers to entry for this league, and players of all skill levels are encouraged to sign up. In terms of commitment, please be expecting at least two matches a week (with a maximum possible of three to determine a tie-breaker).  Match-times are flexible, so long as each team can agree on a match-date for the week in question.  After much speculation and testing, we have determined TDM to be the most viable mode for this league.  Hopefully the devs can roll out a more optimal mode in the coming weeks!  

The league will consist of a 3-week pre-season and a 6-week main season.  Bear in mind that most matches will be taking place on US-East for better server reliability/optimal player location.   Exceptions to this server location will be handled on a case-by-case basis.   If there is enough interest, I'll be creating a separate division for EU players on UK servers.  If you are interested in practicing with any of the confirmed teams before the league starts, please feel free to send their leaders a message and coordinate practice times.  

A brief review of the ruleset is recommended, specifically the allowed/disallowed items and loadouts section.   If you are at all confused about specific rules, please feel free to send me a message so that I may clarify personally.

If you encounter any problems, feel free to file a support ticket on the TPG website so that our admins can assist you.

Huge thanks to CraftyDus and Requiem132 for helping me get the project moving.

Edited by Xacius, April 30 2014 - 07:34 PM.

High MMR (2700+) livestream (scroll down on twitch page for in-depth bio and PC specs).   Check out my Steam Guide!

Exeon is fuzzy bunny bad.

Currently inactive.  Estimated return: TPG 2

#2 nokari

nokari

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted February 16 2014 - 09:08 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

#3 Gunmoku

Gunmoku

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • LocationThe mystical, magical land of Right Over There

Posted February 16 2014 - 09:08 PM

I'll be signing up for this.  Can't wait to throw down in a more competitive environment like this.  I appreciate the effort, Xacius.  Also, who do I talk to about joining a team_

Edited by Gunmoku, February 16 2014 - 09:22 PM.

View PostRED_FIVE, on September 04 2013 - 08:20 PM, said:

YER A RAIDER, HARRY.

#4 EliteShooter

EliteShooter

Mr Splash Man

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,888 posts
  • LocationTunisia

Posted February 16 2014 - 09:36 PM

Glad to participate :D

Posted Image

#5 Xacius

Xacius

The Saltan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,889 posts

Posted February 16 2014 - 09:38 PM

View PostGunmoku, on February 16 2014 - 09:08 PM, said:

I'll be signing up for this.  Can't wait to throw down in a more competitive environment like this.  I appreciate the effort, Xacius.  Also, who do I talk to about joining a team_

It's my pleasure.  Either post in this thread or speak to one of the team leaders personally.

Edited by Xacius, February 16 2014 - 09:38 PM.

High MMR (2700+) livestream (scroll down on twitch page for in-depth bio and PC specs).   Check out my Steam Guide!

#6 FakeName

FakeName

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,927 posts
  • LocationIn the cockpit of my Succubus

Posted February 16 2014 - 09:43 PM

First I was impressed when I've read this post but then I was dissapointed because of ridiculous rules like "no scrambler, scanner, no two mechs of same class ( two scouts), no three mechs of each size class ( A, B, C) etc. Etc."

I wanna play Hawken and not a Hawken for beginners with restrictions.
It is also not the Hawken league as there is too much content banned, it's a completely new game, but not Hawken.

Edited by FakeName, February 16 2014 - 09:45 PM.

"Things change ... thank god, otherwise we would still hunt animals to survive and forge weapons of stone."

- FakeName

Posted Image

#7 Xacius

Xacius

The Saltan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,889 posts

Posted February 16 2014 - 09:47 PM

View PostFakeName, on February 16 2014 - 09:43 PM, said:

First I was impressed when I've read this post but then I was dissapointed because of ridiculous rules like "no scrambler, scanner, no two mechs of same class ( two scouts), no three mechs of each size class ( A, B, C) etc. Etc."

It is also not the Hawken league as there is too mich content banned.

We're still looking into the class restrictions, but due to the poor map design on specific maps, content restrictions may have to be enforced.  For example, three Grenadiers could wreak havok on any close-range map with Rev-GL spam.  This problem is especially prevalent on maps like Uptown and Wreckage.  The same is also true for Sabot weaponry on maps like Last Eco, Bazaar, and Frontline.  

As for the Radar Scanner, it's essentially a map-hack.  If there are enemies within range of the Scanner, they show up on radar even when walking.  Do note that the Radar Scrambler is not banned.  Please read the ruleset more closely.  

We want to make this league about teamwork, skill, and player coordination, not overwhelming mech dominance due to overpowered mechanics.

Edited by Xacius, February 16 2014 - 09:52 PM.

#8 Requiem132

Requiem132

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted February 16 2014 - 09:49 PM

You can make your own team with friends by no means do you need to be affiliated in a clan to participate and everyone is welcome of all skill levels. Please if you have an interest in competitive play sign up bring your friends lets make this comp scene happen. Please share your feedback and let us know how we can improve upon the league for everyone to enjoy :).

Edited by Requiem132, February 16 2014 - 09:50 PM.

Posted Image

[font=comic sans ms', ', cursive]Violent Resolution | -vR. [/font]

[font=comic sans ms', cursive]"When Diplomacy Fails"[/font]
http://vr-gaming.org[font=comic sans ms', cursive] | Multi-Gaming Clan[/font]
[font=comic sans ms', cursive]Looking for Gamers 18+[/font]

#9 EliteShooter

EliteShooter

Mr Splash Man

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,888 posts
  • LocationTunisia

Posted February 16 2014 - 09:50 PM

but ... I'm afraid the games will be late for EU players :'( ... which will make it US & CA & AS league only !!! xacius , please take in account the time gaps when making the schedule for the games

Posted Image

#10 IareDave

IareDave

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted February 16 2014 - 09:50 PM

I'm in. Gotta find a team

#11 Rei

Rei

Hammertime!

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,235 posts
  • LocationMore like... HammeredTime

Posted February 16 2014 - 09:52 PM

A few things I don't agree with in the rules:

custom FOV and Crosshairs: I know the hawken devs don't consider it cheating to edit your ini file, but I do think that gives players distinct advantages over others with things that are outside of the game settings themselves. I know I probably won't change your mind on this seeing as the people who made this league ARE using them, but the amount of extra info you get from the extra FOV while repairing is crazy and makes it nearly impossible for people to sneak up on someone repairing.

Item bannings: why_ I know items such as radar scanner are amazing, but why not just restrict to 1 per team_ Also MG Turret and Rocket have no reason being banned imo... They're barely used as-is anyway.
!HAMMERTIME
~「TWITTER」~「STREAM」~「STREAMING GUIDE」~ Sharpshooter is fair and balanced
Posted Image

#12 Call_Me_Ishmael

Call_Me_Ishmael

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 399 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas, baby.

Posted February 16 2014 - 09:53 PM

I'll play.

FakeName, scanners are not allowed - scramblers ARE (or at least aren't in the list from Xacius' site).
Posted Image

#13 Mal3fic

Mal3fic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn NYC

Posted February 16 2014 - 09:56 PM

There will be a lot of this!!!

Posted Image
Posted Image

#14 Gunmoku

Gunmoku

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • LocationThe mystical, magical land of Right Over There

Posted February 16 2014 - 09:59 PM

View PostFakeName, on February 16 2014 - 09:43 PM, said:

It is also not the Hawken league as there is too much content banned, it's a completely new game, but not Hawken.

Leagues do this all the time, this is nothing new.  Also, it's still Hawken.  Just a lot more sterile of a competitive environment.  If you think this is restrictive, go look up the community rulesets for Blacklight Retribution's BCL.  They pretty much turn the game into Counter-Strike with a sci-fi skin.  They skew almost every ounce of customization in the game for static class and gun builds.  At least here they're just banning a small handful of equipment and putting a soft cap on team comps.

Think of team limits like this, it's like football (or American Football for the Europeans out there).  You need your big Defensive Linemen and Linebackers for holding off the front lines and protecting VIP's (C-Classes), the beefy but quick on their feet Quarterbacks and Full-Backs to pierce enemy lines and get points for the team (B-classes), and lastly those little speed-freaks that play the sides and harass the enemy team and play distractions or run in for quick point gains (A-classes).  It's all about an effective team composition for a winning strategy once you're in the higher echelons of fighting.  You can't just stack all C-classes and expect to get an effective win when the entire enemy team plays Scouts or Infiltrators, and end up pissing circles around your team.  Same goes for stacking Sharpshooters or Reapers, it's a cheesy tactic, it works, but it's completely imbalanced with the way things are right now.  So until better balance is brought in, we the players much impart our own rules to make the game much more competitive and avoid cheeseball strats and comps.

Also, can I join your team Xacius.  PLEASE_

Posted Image

Edited by Gunmoku, February 16 2014 - 10:11 PM.

View PostRED_FIVE, on September 04 2013 - 08:20 PM, said:

YER A RAIDER, HARRY.

#15 EliteShooter

EliteShooter

Mr Splash Man

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,888 posts
  • LocationTunisia

Posted February 16 2014 - 10:06 PM

Matches are @ 9 PM ET ; 2 AM GMT !  EU players , they're making participating a hard task on us :'(

Posted Image

#16 Xacius

Xacius

The Saltan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,889 posts

Posted February 16 2014 - 10:09 PM

View PostEliteShooter, on February 16 2014 - 10:06 PM, said:

Matches are @ 9 PM ET ; 2 AM GMT !  EU players , they're making participating a hard task on us :'(

If the default match times do not work for participating teams, then rescheduling for different times is permitted and encouraged.

#17 EliteShooter

EliteShooter

Mr Splash Man

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,888 posts
  • LocationTunisia

Posted February 16 2014 - 10:28 PM

View PostXacius, on February 16 2014 - 10:09 PM, said:

View PostEliteShooter, on February 16 2014 - 10:06 PM, said:

If the default match times do not work for participating teams, then rescheduling for different times is permitted and encouraged.

Great , thank you :D

Posted Image

#18 KejiGoto

KejiGoto

Scruffy Lookin' Nerf Herder

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,219 posts

Posted February 16 2014 - 10:33 PM

View PostRei, on February 16 2014 - 09:52 PM, said:

A few things I don't agree with in the rules:

custom FOV and Crosshairs: I know the hawken devs don't consider it cheating to edit your ini file, but I do think that gives players distinct advantages over others with things that are outside of the game settings themselves. I know I probably won't change your mind on this seeing as the people who made this league ARE using them, but the amount of extra info you get from the extra FOV while repairing is crazy and makes it nearly impossible for people to sneak up on someone repairing.

Item bannings: why_ I know items such as radar scanner are amazing, but why not just restrict to 1 per team_ Also MG Turret and Rocket have no reason being banned imo... They're barely used as-is anyway.

Totally agree with the custom FOV and such. Been barking up this tree for months though and apparently being able to see more when you're repairing isn't a real advantage. /sarcasm

As for the items I understand completely. Scanner tends to put both teams at a stand off as teams are aware when someone is trying to flank or sneak up on them and the result is a stalemate or incredibly boring match in many cases. As for turrets those act as a scanner plus they do damage. They alert teams when someone is in range and when you get several turrets together the damage stacking can be a serious pain.

Posted Image

#19 ThirdEyE

ThirdEyE

Moderator 007

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 607 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted February 16 2014 - 10:37 PM

View PostRei, on February 16 2014 - 09:52 PM, said:

Radar scanner is too amazing, which is why it's being banned.  It may not seem op in pub play, but for teams that are communicating and organized it provides far too much information for even a single item slot.  It doesn't even show up on radar (like scramblers do) or in Stalker vision.

Turrets are annoying, but I don't think they deserve to be banned.  They do minimal damage and are destroyed very easily.  Honestly at most times they just seem like a poor version of the radar scanner.

I'm also glad that techs aren't currently banned, but they do need to be seriously balanced.  That's a whole other can of worms though.

Edited by ThirdEyE, February 16 2014 - 10:39 PM.

Posted Image

Offering coaching on all mechs, maps, and gametypes, PM if interested.

Violent Resolution - http://vr-gaming.org/

Hawken IRC - #hawkenscrim

#20 eth0

eth0

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationEast

Posted February 16 2014 - 10:49 PM

Posted Image
[My MMR]