HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Hawken TPG League! Official Organized Play!

• Please log in to reply
186 replies to this topic

#21 Daronicus

Daronicus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 414 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted February 16 2014 - 10:51 PM

I like the mech type restrictions for more than just balance purposes.  It makes the game more interesting and forces teams to be well-rounded instead of just fielding a bunch of Scouts/Brawlers/What-have-you.

#22 ThirdEyE

ThirdEyE

Moderator 007

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 607 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted February 16 2014 - 10:54 PM

By the way, unless I missed it you didn't mention anything about game modes.  Will there be different leagues for each mode, will the entire league be restricted to a single mode, or will game modes vary within a single league_
Posted Image

Offering coaching on all mechs, maps, and gametypes, PM if interested.

Violent Resolution - http://vr-gaming.org/

Hawken IRC - #hawkenscrim

#23 BradersVal

BradersVal

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
  • LocationCheshire

Posted February 16 2014 - 10:59 PM

View PostXacius, on February 16 2014 - 09:01 PM, said:

If there is enough interest, I'll be creating a separate division for EU players on UK servers.

What we need is for Adhesive to show some more interest and get this fixed.

Spoiler

Posted Image

#24 FakeName

FakeName

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,927 posts
  • LocationIn the cockpit of my Succubus

Posted February 16 2014 - 11:07 PM

View PostXacius, on February 16 2014 - 09:47 PM, said:

View PostFakeName, on February 16 2014 - 09:43 PM, said:

First I was impressed when I've read this post but then I was dissapointed because of ridiculous rules like "no scrambler, scanner, no two mechs of same class ( two scouts), no three mechs of each size class ( A, B, C) etc. Etc."

I wanna play Hawken and not a Hawken for beginners with restrictions.
It is also not the Hawken league as there is too mich content banned.

We're still looking into the class restrictions, but due to the poor map design on specific maps, content restrictions may have to be enforced.  For example, three Grenadiers could wreak havok on any close-range map with Rev-GL spam.  This problem is especially prevalent on maps like Uptown and Wreckage.  The same is also true for Sabot weaponry on maps like Last Eco, Bazaar, and Frontline.  

As for the Radar Scanner, it's essentially a map-hack.  If there are enemies within range of the Scanner, they show up on radar even when walking.  Do note that the Radar Scrambler is not banned.  Please read the ruleset more closely.  

We want to make this league about teamwork, skill, and player coordination, not overwhelming mech dominance due to overpowered mechanics.

But what is so bad about scanner_ Isn't it the sense of the scanner to show enemies on the RADAR_

And for map dependence, why bann so much mechs or only allow one of them. I mean then players have to take specific classes so their team has no disadvantage offering more possible strategies.
Also while SS have an advantage on for example Last Eco, a team of Snipers will still fail to win because they fit only ONE situation.

However it is still a good choice to pick an SS on Last eco or maybe two or three. But restriyting them will even lead more to the advantage on "op" mechs on certain maps because there is no mech that can counter it due to restrictions.
How do you kill a sniper on a map without covers_ Right with a sniper.
(Close combat also possible but on a large map without cover problematic)

Anyways I still don't get the sense of the restrictions. Restricting mechs will only lead to advantage of certain mech combos, while no restrictions offer many possible ways to counter the enemy team.

It's like tuning points, I was for tuning points offering for every mech because scout needed fuel tank the most but not allowing scout to have fuel tank was stupid due to the high demand.

"Things change ... thank god, otherwise we would still hunt animals to survive and forge weapons of stone."

- FakeName

Posted Image

#25 Nept

Nept

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

Posted February 16 2014 - 11:15 PM

View PostDaronicus, on February 16 2014 - 10:51 PM, said:

I like the mech type restrictions for more than just balance purposes.  It makes the game more interesting and forces teams to be well-rounded instead of just fielding a bunch of Scouts/Brawlers/What-have-you.
Yeah.  fuzzy bunny Brawlers.

https://robertsspace...orgs/OMNISCIENT

Complaining about Hawken's population_  Read this: https://community.pl...en/#entry524454

Posted Image   

#26 eth0

eth0

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationEast

Posted February 16 2014 - 11:23 PM

View PostFakeName, on February 16 2014 - 11:07 PM, said:

Also while SS have an advantage on for example Last Eco, a team of Snipers will still fail to win because they fit only ONE situation.
[...]
Anyways I still don't get the sense of the restrictions. Restricting mechs will only lead to advantage of certain mech combos, while no restrictions offer many possible ways to counter the enemy team.

Unrestricted mech selection allows for unbalanced teams in certain maps, such as the very snipers of Last Eco you mentioned.
Ensuring variation makes gameplay more interesting in respect to the mechs in each encounter and the environment. If you were playing against a team of decent SS pilots, especially on a map like Last Eco or Bazaar and now Bunker, the whole game would be;
1. step out of cover
2. get shot
Every single time, whether you made it close enough to kill them or not. Rinse, respawn, repeat.
I pray to the devs that no given map was designed with a specific mech or playstyle in-mind, but instead with the intention of balanced teams of each side, by player skill and mech selection. You may find that certain maps even become enjoyable again when you play with and against a well-balanced team.

Not only does mech restriction make it less frustrating to play on specific maps, it makes the entire experience better imho.
[My MMR]
[Who is streaming HAWKEN right now_]
[Hawken Wishlist 2014.09.11]:
Spoiler

#27 Fivelon

Fivelon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
  • LocationFort Wayne, IN

Posted February 16 2014 - 11:34 PM

I'd like to participate. What time will games be_ I'm not always available until late in the evening.

If any team would like to have me, you know how to reach me!

I'm very glad to see this happening. This is gonna be fun :)

#28 Daronicus

Daronicus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 414 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted February 16 2014 - 11:45 PM

View PostFivelon, on February 16 2014 - 11:34 PM, said:

I'd like to participate. What time will games be_ I'm not always available until late in the evening.

If any team would like to have me, you know how to reach me!

I'm very glad to see this happening. This is gonna be fun :)

Games can be scheduled between teams, I believe.  Just so long as you finish all your matches by Sunday.  Right_

#29 Xacius

Xacius

The Saltan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,889 posts
  • LocationOther games, waiting for dev beacon

Posted February 16 2014 - 11:46 PM

View PostFakeName, on February 16 2014 - 11:07 PM, said:

But what is so bad about scanner_ Isn't it the sense of the scanner to show enemies on the RADAR_

And for map dependence, why bann so much mechs or only allow one of them. I mean then players have to take specific classes so their team has no disadvantage offering more possible strategies.

I've witnessed Sniper dominance on long-range maps first-hand (in comp scrims).  Trust me, the restrictions are necessary for balanced gameplay. Teams composed entirely of Sharpshooters and Reapers will trump almost any other team on Last Eco, assuming that the SS/Reaper players can actually aim. The Sabot rule is final, unless the devs significantly alter weapon statistics by the time the league start.  

The Radar Scanner is essentially broken.  It reveals even walking enemies, completely removing any element of map awareness in the designated area.  It's incredibly easy for a well-coordinated team to cover a map with Scanners and always have sight on their opponents.  Unless its functionality is altered before the league starts, it is also banned.  Barring ADH intervention, I'm not willing to change these two particular restrictions for the previously stated reasons.

Edited by Xacius, February 16 2014 - 11:46 PM.

High MMR (2700+) livestream (scroll down on twitch page for in-depth bio and PC specs).   Check out my Steam Guide!

Exeon is fuzzy bunny bad.

Currently inactive.  Estimated return: TPG 2

#30 Viconaut

Viconaut

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted February 17 2014 - 12:27 AM

hey! i am very interested in joining a team, i like to think of myself as pretty competent/skilled player if any of the team leaders are still scanning this please send me a message or something so i may join one of you. thanks

#31 Xacius

Xacius

The Saltan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,889 posts

Posted February 17 2014 - 12:34 AM

View PostViconaut, on February 17 2014 - 12:27 AM, said:

hey! i am very interested in joining a team, i like to think of myself as pretty competent/skilled player if any of the team leaders are still scanning this please send me a message or something so i may join one of you. thanks

Send a message around and hop in the BSB TS around 6pm PST Fridays/Saturdays/Sundays for competitive community scrims!
High MMR (2700+) livestream (scroll down on twitch page for in-depth bio and PC specs).   Check out my Steam Guide!

#32 Requiem132

Requiem132

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted February 17 2014 - 12:45 AM

I think we need to make it more clear on that sunday deadline... The match time/day (sunday) is the cut off time for anyone to send in their match results for that day to be recorded in the league. Between the two teams matched up to play against each other that week will have to decide when they are both available to play. If no one contacts one another by sunday 12 midnight then both teams will not be awarded.

Posted Image

[font=comic sans ms', ', cursive]Violent Resolution | -vR. [/font]

[font=comic sans ms', cursive]"When Diplomacy Fails"[/font]
http://vr-gaming.org[font=comic sans ms', cursive] | Multi-Gaming Clan[/font]
[font=comic sans ms', cursive]Looking for Gamers 18+[/font]

#33 angryhampster

angryhampster

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,349 posts
Posted February 17 2014 - 12:48 AM

[font=play, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Non-clan representation: [/font]
[font=play, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]EliteShooter's team!  [/font]

hahaha

I support this 100%.
    --[font=arial, sans-serif](◕_◕)    [/font]
Posted Image

#34 DerMax

DerMax

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,270 posts
  • LocationRussia

Posted February 17 2014 - 12:51 AM

Thank you for your effort, guys.

I have two suggestions:

1. Ban the scrambler. It doesn't make the game more interesting or challenging, it just forks up your radar. In my opinion, the scrambler is currently the most powerful item in the game.

2. Go ahead and create a separate division for us EU players :P

#35 coldform

coldform

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted February 17 2014 - 01:29 AM

I so want in right now.

Posted Image

"Sometimes, You just gotta die... just to get your items back." - Mogote

#36 Xacius

Xacius

The Saltan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,889 posts

Posted February 17 2014 - 02:10 AM

View PostDerMax, on February 17 2014 - 12:51 AM, said:

Thank you for your effort, guys.

I have two suggestions:

1. Ban the scrambler. It doesn't make the game more interesting or challenging, it just forks up your radar. In my opinion, the scrambler is currently the most powerful item in the game.

2. Go ahead and create a separate division for us EU players :P

I can start it once a couple EU teams sign up.  Let me know how many will be participating.

Scrambler is okay because it actually makes reading the radar difficult.  With practice, you can still determine the proper dots.

#37 LinearFox

LinearFox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted February 17 2014 - 02:12 AM

Definitely going to talk about this to the south east asian players. :) Glad to know you guys are organizing this. :)

Posted Image

South Asia Team

LinearFOX

#38 Requiem132

Requiem132

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted February 17 2014 - 02:18 AM

There is also a pre-season to hash more things out in case some new exploit or something op comes out of the wood work for team play and the general consensus from all the teams participating decides how the actually season will be. (Example: General majority of teams feel scrambler shouldn't be in team play then the season will not allow scramblers for it was found out in pre-season, that it was in fact too overpowered.) This is a very likely thing to happen especially if all teams explain their feelings about certain op mechanics not just scrambler and if admins feel it is generally feasible and fair for all it will most likely be changed.

Posted Image

#39 Requiem132

Requiem132

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted February 17 2014 - 02:23 AM

View PostThirdEyE, on February 16 2014 - 10:54 PM, said:

By the way, unless I missed it you didn't mention anything about game modes.  Will there be different leagues for each mode, will the entire league be restricted to a single mode, or will game modes vary within a single league_

For now we have decided on TDM for season 1 things are likely to change/new game mode leagues will come if the general populous wants it. TDM is being done for season 1 for it is the most basic and easy mode to work with based on the limited types of game modes at our current disposal. We want to just get something out there for all to enjoy as soon as possible and if enough teams join we will be able to support other modes. Voice your opinions to any of the admins if you feel like something is unclear or just want some more insight to the matter of game mode choice. If we manage to get a big enough chunk of the community to participate expect an MA or even a Siege mode ladder to be supported for TPG but as of now it will be TDM for this first season.

(can also voice your opinion here)

Edited by Requiem132, February 17 2014 - 02:41 AM.

Posted Image

#40 Interrobang87

Interrobang87

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • LocationPA USA

Posted February 17 2014 - 02:47 AM

I 100% agree with TDM for season 1 as it's the most straight forward mode for people to get teams working together and organized.

Can't wait for siege ladder though ;)
How will you spend eternity_ Smoking or Non-Smoking_
Posted Image
Chillen with the banger

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users