HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Hawken TPG League! Official Organized Play!

• Please log in to reply
186 replies to this topic

#61 Rei

Rei

Hammertime!

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,235 posts
  • LocationMore like... HammeredTime

Posted February 17 2014 - 03:16 PM

Here are some more extreme examples of FOV modding.

http://imgur.com/9f0...xw6TE,SfKnqXs#7

Sorta close to Xacius' spec I got from his stream. The HawkenCamera settings are the same, but the other file's are different and in-game set to 90, FOV in the file set to 120.

I'm all for the league, but if you're going to ban Radar scanner, but allow this_ yeah...

Edited by Rei, February 17 2014 - 03:17 PM.

!HAMMERTIME
~「TWITTER」~「STREAM」~「STREAMING GUIDE」~ Sharpshooter is fair and balanced
Posted Image

#62 Gree

Gree

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 508 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted February 17 2014 - 03:25 PM

Posted Image

Ohhh I want to join a team so bad...

#63 Sylhiri

Sylhiri

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,135 posts

Posted February 17 2014 - 03:56 PM

You know, there should just be a list of all the people who want to join a team and make teams from them.

Do itttt

[13:14] <nonsiccus_work> uh oh

there's gravy in my keyboard

----------------------------------------------------------------------

[11:18] <+shosca> if you wanna play ar, go play zerker
[11:18] <Hyginos> and if you want to play zerker, go smc
[11:19] <someone> if you want to play sustain, please go and die in hell

#64 RedVan

RedVan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,250 posts

Posted February 17 2014 - 04:24 PM

View PostRei, on February 17 2014 - 03:16 PM, said:

Sorta close to Xacius' spec I got from his stream. The HawkenCamera settings are the same, but the other file's are different and in-game set to 90, FOV in the file set to 120.

I'm all for the league, but if you're going to ban Radar scanner, but allow this_ yeah...

How would you propose they enforce a ban on FOV edits_  Have mommy watch over their shoulder to make sure their FOV is normal_

#65 CounterlogicMan

CounterlogicMan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted February 17 2014 - 04:28 PM

To clarify, the number of teams TAW will be fielding is subject to change. One is to be expected.

#66 craftydus

craftydus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 937 posts
  • LocationIn The Uterus of Love

Posted February 17 2014 - 04:29 PM

You can pan a complete circle while you repair anyhow. That's 360 just by moving your mouse a little. Default.
And it's line of sight.

Radar scanner is the whole map (depending on where they are placed) through   the enviroment.

We are taking a great effort to keep restrictions and banned items to an absolute minimum.
Radar scanner restriction is a no brainer for league play, and most players agree that heat sigs showing up across the map of people walking is akin to wallhack, theres no place for it in a match. That's what I've been hearing from all the folks willing to consider it.

On the other hand a 120 fov has been a competitve league first person shooter standard   since I began playing online shooters when Clinton held office.

While I understand the players that feel strongly that 120 fov is somehow, an unfair advantage.
I suspect this disadvantage is an illusion created by a preference not to type in a config file.

#67 craftydus

craftydus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted February 17 2014 - 04:30 PM

View PostCounterlogicMan, on February 17 2014 - 04:28 PM, said:

To clarify, the number of teams TAW will be fielding is subject to change. One is to be expected.

the more the merrier

#68 Xacius

Xacius

The Saltan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,889 posts
  • LocationOther games, waiting for dev beacon

Posted February 17 2014 - 04:30 PM

FOV modifications are available to everyone and are considerably harder to enforce.  I see no problem with it.  We'll poll the participants during the pre-season to get a final answer for it.

View PostSylhiri, on February 17 2014 - 03:56 PM, said:

You know, there should just be a list of all the people who want to join a team and make teams from them.

Do itttt

Great idea.  In process.

Edited by Xacius, February 17 2014 - 04:30 PM.

High MMR (2700+) livestream (scroll down on twitch page for in-depth bio and PC specs).   Check out my Steam Guide!

Exeon is fuzzy bunny bad.

Currently inactive.  Estimated return: TPG 2

#69 CounterlogicMan

CounterlogicMan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted February 17 2014 - 04:39 PM

View Postcraftydus, on February 17 2014 - 04:30 PM, said:

the more the merrier

About the TAW team:

If anyone is looking for a team that is highly organized (structured and has consistent practices/training), check out taw.net and the art of warfare here on the clan hall! Once a member of TAW you can apply for the competitive battalion! If you don't make it, don't sweat it, we also have consistent events running internally within our EU and NA battalions (battle of illal, return of crion, and more).

#70 ThirdEyE

ThirdEyE

Moderator 007

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 607 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted February 17 2014 - 05:22 PM

View Postcraftydus, on February 17 2014 - 04:29 PM, said:

You can pan a complete circle while you repair anyhow. That's 360 just by moving your mouse a little. Default.
And it's line of sight.

On the other hand a 120 fov has been a competitve league first person shooter standard   since I began playing online shooters when Clinton held office.

While I understand the players that feel strongly that 120 fov is somehow, an unfair advantage.
I suspect this disadvantage is an illusion created by a preference not to type in a config file.

By modifying FoV it actually changes the distance of the repairing camera PoV to your mech, and allows you to see much more than you normally could with default FoV.  This includes seeing areas that would normally be out of LoS, even panning around 360 degrees.

FoV modification in this game is unlike most other FPS, due to the massive advantage it gives you while repairing, as I stated above.  I have no problem with people having a different FoV from 1st person perspective, but the way in which it modifies your 3rd person perspective in repairing removes much of the risk involved in where you choose to repair by making it nigh impossible to sneak up on repairing people.

It is not just an "illusion"
Posted Image

Offering coaching on all mechs, maps, and gametypes, PM if interested.

Violent Resolution - http://vr-gaming.org/

Hawken IRC - #hawkenscrim

#71 craftydus

craftydus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted February 17 2014 - 05:38 PM

View PostCounterlogicMan, on February 17 2014 - 04:39 PM, said:

View Postcraftydus, on February 17 2014 - 04:30 PM, said:

the more the merrier

About the TAW team:

If anyone is looking for a team that is highly organized (structured and has consistent practices/training), check out taw.net and the art of warfare here on the clan hall! Once a member of TAW you can apply for the competitive battalion! If you don't make it, don't sweat it, we also have consistent events running internally within our EU and NA battalions (battle of illal, return of crion, and more).

These guys have internal scrim events to be jealous of, definitely very active Hawken players

#72 KejiGoto

KejiGoto

Scruffy Lookin' Nerf Herder

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,219 posts

Posted February 17 2014 - 06:02 PM

View PostThirdEyE, on February 17 2014 - 05:22 PM, said:

And it's line of sight.

By modifying FoV it actually changes the distance of the repairing camera PoV to your mech, and allows you to see much more than you normally could with default FoV.  This includes seeing areas that would normally be out of LoS, even panning around 360 degrees.

FoV modification in this game is unlike most other FPS, due to the massive advantage it gives you while repairing, as I stated above.  I have no problem with people having a different FoV from 1st person perspective, but the way in which it modifies your 3rd person perspective in repairing removes much of the risk involved in where you choose to repair by making it nigh impossible to sneak up on repairing people.

Couldn't agree with this more and i'm really glad Rei posted the screens to showcase the difference. It's beyond me how anyone can look at this and go "That's not really an advantage." Yes this is something that is hard to enforce but this is something that needs to be considered though I do have a way to enforce this I think.

Since everyone fighting in the match has to take a screenshot at the beginning why not also have the requirement of a screenshot while in repair mode showing you have a standard FOV_ As far as I'm aware the game needs to be restarted for any edits to ini files to take place so this would keep that from happening.

Posted Image

#73 craftydus

craftydus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted February 17 2014 - 06:11 PM

How do mechs not equipped for splash dmg, damage themselves in order to heal themselves in order to get the mandatory screenshot.
Consider weighing this hassle with the hassle of you ctrl-f for fov in your config and setting it where you like it.

Edited by craftydus, February 17 2014 - 06:12 PM.

#74 CounterlogicMan

CounterlogicMan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted February 17 2014 - 06:11 PM

View PostThirdEyE, on February 17 2014 - 05:22 PM, said:

And it's line of sight.

this.

View Postcraftydus, on February 17 2014 - 06:11 PM, said:

How do mechs not equipped for splash damage themselves in order to heal themselves in order to get the mandatory screenshot.
Consider weighing this hassle with the hassle of you ctrl-f for fov in your config and setting it where you like it.

and this.

Edited by CounterlogicMan, February 17 2014 - 06:29 PM.

#75 ThirdEyE

ThirdEyE

Moderator 007

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 607 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted February 17 2014 - 06:15 PM

How do mechs not equipped for splash dmg, damage themselves in order to heal themselves in order to get the mandatory screenshot.

Fall damage.
Posted Image

Offering coaching on all mechs, maps, and gametypes, PM if interested.

Violent Resolution - http://vr-gaming.org/

Hawken IRC - #hawkenscrim

#76 Daronicus

Daronicus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 414 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted February 17 2014 - 06:52 PM

View PostThirdEyE, on February 17 2014 - 06:15 PM, said:

Fall damage.

Ok, so I actually side with the "no .ini modification" crowd in principle, but there does reach a point that things just become too difficult.  There isn't that much time available at the beginning of matches and often that time is needed for team talk, not playing parkour trying to get high enough to take fall damage (furthermore, what if by some weird happenstance you like shock coil on your Reaper_).  If there were an easy way to enforce it, I would actually be all for limiting FOV settings at least for repair mode, but as it stands, we'd have to jump through a lot of hoops to make sure.

There is in my opinion a serious question about whether or not we could just use the honor system, but perhaps I'm naive.

Edit:  On the other side of the debate, I think it's fair to say "This is allowed; here's how to do it if you want."  Just so long as it's in a prominent place that ostensibly all participants should see, e.g. a footnote in the rules.  That way at the very least there isn't the argument of "I didn't know how!"

Edited by Daronicus, February 17 2014 - 06:56 PM.

#77 Rei

Rei

Hammertime!

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,235 posts
  • LocationMore like... HammeredTime

Posted February 17 2014 - 06:59 PM

Yeah enforcing is the hard part. (The near impossible part) It would most likely require some cooperation from HWK's part to actually make it so certain settings aren't editable.

Edited by Rei, February 17 2014 - 06:59 PM.

!HAMMERTIME
~「TWITTER」~「STREAM」~「STREAMING GUIDE」~ Sharpshooter is fair and balanced
Posted Image

#78 Lucier

Lucier

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • LocationUS East

Posted February 17 2014 - 07:52 PM

View PostDaronicus, on February 17 2014 - 06:52 PM, said:

View PostThirdEyE, on February 17 2014 - 06:15 PM, said:

Fall damage.

Ok, so I actually side with the "no .ini modification" crowd in principle, but there does reach a point that things just become too difficult.  There isn't that much time available at the beginning of matches and often that time is needed for team talk, not playing parkour trying to get high enough to take fall damage (furthermore, what if by some weird happenstance you like shock coil on your Reaper_).  If there were an easy way to enforce it, I would actually be all for limiting FOV settings at least for repair mode, but as it stands, we'd have to jump through a lot of hoops to make sure.

There is in my opinion a serious question about whether or not we could just use the honor system, but perhaps I'm naive.

Edit:  On the other side of the debate, I think it's fair to say "This is allowed; here's how to do it if you want."  Just so long as it's in a prominent place that ostensibly all participants should see, e.g. a footnote in the rules.  That way at the very least there isn't the argument of "I didn't know how!"

If a player repairs at any point during a match, their view while repairing would visible in their demo. There wouldn't really be a need to take a screenshot of it.

#79 Cumbersome

Cumbersome

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted February 17 2014 - 08:03 PM

Will anyone play with me_

Disclaimer: I am bad and I have no real friends.

Edited by Cumbersome, February 17 2014 - 08:05 PM.

#80 ScarletThirteen

ScarletThirteen

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted February 17 2014 - 08:17 PM

I'm stuck with a fuzzy bunny computer most of the time, so recording isn't possible.

What do I do if I want to join_
Leader of the non-existent Scarlet Squadron.
You can't treat a mech like a human being. A MECH NEEDS LOVE!
Raider-chan! Where have you been all my life!_  <3

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users