HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Heat cannon vs EOC-repeater

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 django18

django18

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted February 23 2014 - 01:49 PM

Hi guys!

I recently bought the infiltrator and I truly love it...but after hitting lvl 4 I wondered which alternate primary weapon I should purchase. I like the default primary, which is the assault rifle, but after a while it's rather boring to use.
I know that both alternate primaries, heat-cannon and eoc-repeater aren't easy to use, but i'm sure hat mastering them will yield great results. So what do you guys recommend_ eoc or heat-cannon_ atm i'm leaning more towards the eoc.

Oh, and btw, will there be any changes to the economy model_ 6400 HC for ONE  weapon seems way too much...

#2 Amisto

Amisto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted February 23 2014 - 03:23 PM

Both are much harder to use than the Assault rifle,  You have to lead your shots, and predict the enemy, then aim near their feet, so if you miss the splash will still hit the.  Heat takes a while to get used to because it has travel time, the shot is faster when you charge it up, but you can fire it more often without charging it, up close this works, but you really have to know how to aim it in close quarters to hit anything.  Ideally you want to soften the target with charged shots, and when they get low and you are closer switch to uncharged as it does more dps.  

Eoc - great weapon vs heavies, bad weapons vs lights, it does a good amount of damage, and is good at area denial, if you up agaisnt a team using heavy+ tech this is the weapon you want, as they will be moving around all over the place, and you have more targets to step on your mines,

both of these weapons are fire, hide, then pop out fire again type of weapons

#3 Eman29

Eman29

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted February 23 2014 - 03:45 PM

stick to the assault rifle.
The eoc repeater is pure garbage. totally regret getting it.
this game is the opposite of pay 2 win.  pay to get worse.

Posted Image

#4 Hijinks_The_Turtle

Hijinks_The_Turtle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,569 posts
  • LocationTurtles be turtlin'

Posted February 23 2014 - 05:30 PM

Both Heat Cannon and EOC are hard weapons to master, but once you do, they are absolute killing machines.

#5 django18

django18

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted February 23 2014 - 05:52 PM

hmm...those weapons seems to work for some people, while others can't get used to it.
I'm not sure...
Are the devs going to change the economy model_ I think this would make our lives alot easier. Can't stand the fact that I have to play 15-20 games just to buy a weapon that may not even be worth the grind.

#6 Sylhiri

Sylhiri

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,135 posts

Posted February 23 2014 - 06:19 PM

I would suggest using the Heat Cannon, you can yield good results faster then the EOC and it's slightly easier to use (more so in CQC). You can pump out some amazing damage with the EOC but you would need to practice with it to work out the drawbacks of the weapon.

Infiltrator in my opinion has the perfect ramp up in challenge, going from hitscan DPS > quick burst charge AoE > multi burst charge area denial.

[13:14] <nonsiccus_work> uh oh

there's gravy in my keyboard

----------------------------------------------------------------------

[11:18] <+shosca> if you wanna play ar, go play zerker
[11:18] <Hyginos> and if you want to play zerker, go smc
[11:19] <someone> if you want to play sustain, please go and die in hell

#7 Jafar

Jafar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted February 23 2014 - 08:44 PM

my choice EOC. unlike the heat cannon, he beats short bursts, which gives more chances to hit. Plus EOC shells can be used as mine - it is not pleasant surprise for pursuing thee enemy.
Heat cannon for me the most sophisticated weapons in the game. Get into flying A-class is very difficult.

#8 Exeon

Exeon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • Locationnear the north pole

Posted February 24 2014 - 01:26 AM

Both weapons are terrible against flying opponents. EOC suffers more but any projectile weapon is going to give you some trouble when it doesn't have remote detonation. Heat Cannon is probably the easier to learn weapon but, both are going to be hard to use in CQC without some serious practice time in whichever one you choose. Personally I love heat cannon although EOC is also a great weapon in the right hands you cannot use it very aggressively which is how I often like to play(aka retarded).

View PostDew, on April 04 2014 - 01:15 PM, said:

There's a difference between making the hoop 14 feet high and telling all the players that you have to wait for half a second after running before you can shoot the ball.

#9 mittens800

mittens800

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted February 25 2014 - 01:13 PM

When you play people that are really good with them you think "wow I should get that too!"
Then you get them and realize how freaking hard it is to use.

I have both because I thought "wow I'll be amazing too!"

Now I only use the EOC to alpha snipers / campers.
Rest of the time I'm doing ok with AR, which is usable post patch.

#10 Stingz

Stingz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted February 25 2014 - 01:32 PM

EOC is best described as burst fire proxy mines, while the HEAT might as well be a rocket launcher.

Both take some time to get used to and use correctly
Running directly to/from sniper fire means you'll die tired. Taking cover gives (Ke-)Sabot time to reload.
Someone elses data of Hawken gear/mechs | and another one

#11 dorobo

dorobo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
  • LocationLegion

Posted February 27 2014 - 09:41 AM

i was unpleasently surprised when looking at statistic bars for both of those... heat seemed in a much better situation. But i will stay with eoc as it is much more interesting.

#12 Odinous

Odinous

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts
  • LocationAthens,Greece

Posted February 27 2014 - 09:44 AM

View PostEman29, on February 23 2014 - 03:45 PM, said:

stick to the assault rifle.
The eoc repeater is pure garbage. totally regret getting it.
this game is the opposite of pay 2 win.  pay to get worse.
it's not,you just don't know how to use it,me neither,its the weapon i havent tried as i have tried all the others(not my playstyle tbh),but i have seen people using it and making it deadly choice

#13 DaPheel

DaPheel

EXPLOSIONS_

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,787 posts
  • LocationU.K.

Posted February 27 2014 - 01:09 PM

I found the heat a lot easier at first when compared to the EOC. Both are very good weapons with a tough learning curve.

I prefer Heat infiltrator, because: EXPLOSIONS!
Posted Image"OFFICIAL SHIELD BEARER"
Spoiler

#14 Cannonstar

Cannonstar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted February 28 2014 - 08:29 AM

EOC-Repeater is an absolute beast when paired with Predator's Stalker ability. It's a great defense weapon that allows you to maintain a buffer between you and your opponent, which comes in handy for MA or Siege. It's not as great in TDM where everyone rushes everywhere looking for easy kills.

#15 Mech__Warrior

Mech__Warrior

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted February 28 2014 - 09:07 AM

View Postdjango18, on February 23 2014 - 05:52 PM, said:

hmm...those weapons seems to work for some people, while others can't get used to it.
I'm not sure...
Are the devs going to change the economy model_ I think this would make our lives alot easier. Can't stand the fact that I have to play 15-20 games just to buy a weapon that may not even be worth the grind.

Why should they change the economy model_  You have to think from a business perspective.  They are trying to make money from this game.  If people don't like the "grind", or aren't playing just to have fun (part of the problem... change your viewpoint), then they can spend the money to unlock it early.  You can't expect it to be handed to you.  This is a business.  If you don't have the money, then you can afford to have the patience.
Posted Image

#16 Stingz

Stingz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted February 28 2014 - 10:04 AM

View PostMech__Warrior, on February 28 2014 - 09:07 AM, said:

I'm not sure...

Why should they change the economy model_  You have to think from a business perspective.  They are trying to make money from this game.  If people don't like the "grind", or aren't playing just to have fun (part of the problem... change your viewpoint), then they can spend the money to unlock it early.  You can't expect it to be handed to you.  This is a business.  If you don't have the money, then you can afford to have the patience.

It's more of a problem when the weapon costs as much (or more) than a new mech.
Running directly to/from sniper fire means you'll die tired. Taking cover gives (Ke-)Sabot time to reload.
Someone elses data of Hawken gear/mechs | and another one

#17 Mech__Warrior

Mech__Warrior

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted February 28 2014 - 10:08 AM

View PostStingz, on February 28 2014 - 10:04 AM, said:

I'm not sure...

It's more of a problem when the weapon costs as much (or more) than a new mech.

It is not a problem.  They are choices.  You're choosing a weapon, vs. another weapon (a.k.a. mech).
Posted Image

#18 mechpilot6666

mechpilot6666

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted February 28 2014 - 03:14 PM

My vote goes to the EOC It's such an amazing multi use weapon.

Getting chased at low hp_ Fire a salvo onto that corner and back away while charging a second salvo. As soon as the chaser comes around the corner alpha his face with two full volleys of EOC hell and a grenade. I've used that on so many people and its hilarious watching them freak out in chat. For those of you saying you who will undoubtedly say you cant hit with two volleys at once I suggest you go shoot the gun against bots and watch when the EOC charges on the ground explode.

Also the EOC is just an amazing trap gun lay those charges and just wait like a spider for a hitmarker to register and jump out and give em hell. Not to mention you can just drop the charges under a mechs landing area if it goes into the air and just wait for the pain when he lands.

The HEAT is nice also but for me it's a little less fun to use. Click charge launch repeat. Just kinda boring compared to the hijinks of the EOC. However I will say both guns are extremely viable options and can bring lots of pain and misery to opponents.

#19 django18

django18

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted February 28 2014 - 03:42 PM

I'm not sure...

You know, I've head this kind answer a lot. But when a game is such a huge grind WHY should I even spend money on it_ Not gonna happen. Ever. I would most likely just stop playing the game alltogether. I am certainly willing to spend money on a game that has a balanced, fair economy. Hawken doesn't have that at the moment. So, from a "buisness pespective", I think it would be much more lucrative for the developers to balance out the economy, because if they won't, I'm sure they will lose A LOT of potential customers and players eventually.

#20 Mech__Warrior

Mech__Warrior

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted February 28 2014 - 06:25 PM

View Postdjango18, on February 28 2014 - 03:42 PM, said:

I'm not sure...

You know, I've head this kind answer a lot. But when a game is such a huge grind WHY should I even spend money on it_ Not gonna happen. Ever. I would most likely just stop playing the game alltogether. I am certainly willing to spend money on a game that has a balanced, fair economy. Hawken doesn't have that at the moment. So, from a "buisness pespective", I think it would be much more lucrative for the developers to balance out the economy, because if they won't, I'm sure they will lose A LOT of potential customers and players eventually.

God, 15-20 games.  What a murderous ordeal.  Keep in mind it's also a game, and have fun.
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users