HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Heat cannon vs EOC-repeater

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#41 Shidonai

Shidonai

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • LocationRussia, Moscow

Posted March 23 2014 - 03:34 AM

After all those matches with HC masters I really start to think that HC can be mastered only by emotional, intelegent machine, like android or sorts, that accidenly thinks that it is a human

#42 Nosmer

Nosmer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted March 23 2014 - 07:27 AM

Equiping EOC on my Raider gave me my first penta kill. A shame I didn't recorded it, it was hilarious. Best weapon for peek-a-boo fights.

#43 Call_Me_Ishmael

Call_Me_Ishmael

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 399 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas, baby.

Posted March 23 2014 - 08:58 AM

View PostNosmer, on March 23 2014 - 07:27 AM, said:

Equiping EOC on my Raider gave me my first penta kill. A shame I didn't recorded it, it was hilarious. Best weapon for peek-a-boo fights.

EOC Infil gave me my first sexta/mega-kill, but it was one guy twice.

Edit:  I had to use a Det, though, due to overheat!  (and, it was in my Bloody_Bucket acct)

Edited by Call_Me_Ishmael, March 23 2014 - 08:59 AM.

Posted Image

#44 Battlesbreak

Battlesbreak

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted March 26 2014 - 01:48 AM

If you are good at aiming direct hits take Heat cannon if you feel like taking always the difficult way EOC but else I really recommend on staying Assault Rifle as it is being default the best weapon for Infiltrator. Heat cannon is a bit of UP on charged shots when direct hit deals a lot of damage and I prefer it to be used when odds are stacking a ton of armor.

#45 Stingz

Stingz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted March 26 2014 - 04:01 AM

View PostBattlesbreak, on March 26 2014 - 01:48 AM, said:

If you are good at aiming direct hits take Heat cannon if you feel like taking always the difficult way EOC but else I really recommend on staying Assault Rifle as it is being default the best weapon for Infiltrator. Heat cannon is a bit of UP on charged shots when direct hit deals a lot of damage and I prefer it to be used when odds are stacking a ton of armor.

Once again, if you're going to use Infiltrator with AR you might as well use SMC Berserker.
Better weapon, better damage [Barrage gives (+/-)15% damage boost for 7 seconds], fastest air speed.

Edited by Stingz, March 26 2014 - 04:02 AM.

Running directly to/from sniper fire means you'll die tired. Taking cover gives (Ke-)Sabot time to reload.
Someone elses data of Hawken gear/mechs | and another one

#46 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted March 26 2014 - 02:45 PM

The HC's approach is unfinished, IMHO.

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#47 teeth_03

teeth_03

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted March 27 2014 - 01:39 PM

Maybe some people like Infil regardless because of the Cloak_

I find that Heat and EOC just aren't worth the time to learn when so many other mechs have weapons that are much more straight forward to use.

Heat needs faster projectile speed to be really useful, IMO. At least EOC has the proximity mine aspect.

#48 Battlesbreak

Battlesbreak

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted March 30 2014 - 10:39 PM

View Postteeth_03, on March 27 2014 - 01:39 PM, said:

Maybe some people like Infil regardless because of the Cloak_

I find that Heat and EOC just aren't worth the time to learn when so many other mechs have weapons that are much more straight forward to use.

Heat needs faster projectile speed to be really useful, IMO. At least EOC has the proximity mine aspect.

If you say that Heat needs better projectile speed. You literally don't know how to aim GL or HC well. Heat Cannon is able to be compared to be something like plasma weapons on other games. Like Halo or <insert a game>. For those who already has learned how long it will take the HC to hit the spot where you shoot at that weapon becomes a serious bane. So no don't buff the HC please.

#49 teeth_03

teeth_03

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted March 31 2014 - 03:00 AM

Well boo hoo, I think the experienced players can sacrifice relearning a weapon if it means the devs made it easier for new players to learn.

I can aim the GL just fine, but I can detonate it mid air if I happen to miss and it still does damage.

With the Infil, I feel you should get in close when attacking so the enemy has a harder time getting a bead on you. In CQC, the HC is hard to use vs fast dodging mechs since its not hitscan like all the Automatic weapons in the game.

The fact of the matter comes to this: I don't have time to sit learn the tricks of a weapon when most others are obvious in their usage. I kind of stopped playing Infil anyway, but I am just going to leave the AR on it. The HC takes too much effort to use to the point where most casual players like myself would rather use a different weapon or mech.

I've moved on and I'm now using a Predator, which I can play fairly well and have been dominating score boards with it the past few days, I just unlocked the T-32, which is about the best weapon on either of these 2 cloaking mechs.

#50 Battlesbreak

Battlesbreak

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted March 31 2014 - 03:11 AM

View Postteeth_03, on March 31 2014 - 03:00 AM, said:

Well boo hoo, I think the experienced players can sacrifice relearning a weapon if it means the devs made it easier for new players to learn.

I can aim the GL just fine, but I can detonate it mid air if I happen to miss and it still does damage.

With the Infil, I feel you should get in close when attacking so the enemy has a harder time getting a bead on you. In CQC, the HC is hard to use vs fast dodging mechs since its not hitscan like all the Automatic weapons in the game.

The fact of the matter comes to this: I don't have time to sit learn the tricks of a weapon when most others are obvious in their usage. I kind of stopped playing Infil anyway, but I am just going to leave the AR on it. The HC takes too much effort to use to the point where most casual players like myself would rather use a different weapon or mech.

I've moved on and I'm now using a Predator, which I can play fairly well and have been dominating score boards with it the past few days, I just unlocked the T-32, which is about the best weapon on either of these 2 cloaking mechs.

*face to desk* It is not about relearning... If that projectile speed gets buffed it will be way too powerful current projectile speed is okay for the amount of damage it deals on direct hit. We don't want some weapons become too good now don't we_

#51 teeth_03

teeth_03

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted March 31 2014 - 03:34 AM

I would rather see it sped up and have the damage nerfed slightly for uncharged shots while leaving the damage of charged shots the same. That way its more practical to use while giving you the hitting power of the charged shot when you need it.

#52 IareDave

IareDave

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted March 31 2014 - 09:13 AM

View Postteeth_03, on March 31 2014 - 03:00 AM, said:

You're still defeating the purpose of the infiltrator. If you want to use an A-class hitscan, then go zerker and buzz the fuzzy bunny in the air. It's ability/higher hp pool makes it much better for sustained dps. If you can use the heat/eoc, you can actually perform to it's highest potential.

#53 Amisto

Amisto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted March 31 2014 - 11:31 AM

Eoc - how to use.

Ideal Scenario, you encounter a B or C class all alone, at medium range,  and he has not seen you yet, Fully charge EOC, unleash full salvo along with grenade, predict enemy direction and do not miss, retreat to cover, watch his radar blip, begin charging EOC for next strike.

Advanced technique - when an enemy is low, it is better to split your primary and secondary fire so you can herd your enemy.  You are giving up some damage to make sure you can secure a kill, ie. instead of firing a full salvo and missing both, you fire the grenade to the right of him, making sure he see's this, he will dodge to his left, once you know distance mech's dodge fairly well, you can already have your EOC lined up and ready to release where he WILL be.  This is also how you want to fight A class mech's.  Use your grenade's to try and do damage but also to force him to move in certain directions, holding your EOC until after he dodge's or lands, both these time's present an moment where the mech's movement is limited, and an opportune moment to use EOC.

Long Range enemy's.   You might have noticed EOC pucks released staggered.   if you move your mouse during the firing you can arc your shot's and produce a spread,  this is how you deny area's or even fight long distance, you never aim at the mech itself.  Let's say you are far away and he engage's a closer teammate, watch him, see where he is moving, and firing where he will be, plant mine's in the path's of his escape, or his most likely path's of movement.  Eoc is so hard to use because it requires you to pay the most attention to what your enemy is doing.

Spread those pucks if you are trying to deny an area.

vs air spread work's better than a single stream of pucks.

Another EOC  trick is to match and lock movement direction and speed. Whenever using EOC, you need to find moments where you can match their movement direction, so if you fire while matching the movement, at the correct angle,  if he keeps the same movement, all pucks will land.

non ideal scenario

enemy at cqc close range: retreat, place pucks along walls and corners and then get to cover, if they chase you you can drop pucks everywhere along your escape path, much better to to this than to try and face a flack scout on his terms.   The only other thing you can do is use grenade's to get him to dodge, then unload eoc after he dodge's.

Do not try and Charge your EOC in an no cover 1 vs 1 open area fight, you will very likely lose, best to stick to the 3 puck,and lay those mine's in a way that will cover your retreat.

Edited by Amisto, March 31 2014 - 11:34 AM.

#54 mittens800

mittens800

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted March 31 2014 - 01:11 PM

I hated EOC when I first tried it.
Since it was buffed, I tried it again.

Now I love it.

So fun to NOMNOM on lower level servers.
The puck laying is fantastic.

#55 Lags324

Lags324

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted April 02 2014 - 04:00 PM

mittens800 inspired me to buy the EOC early for my infiltrator (I then used it the entire time from mech level 3 to level 5) after seeing him basically 2 shot me a couple of times in row.

It does take some getting used to since, being a projectile weapon, it is not as straightforward for a primary weapon to use as the AR.

What would help prospective alternate weapon buyers would be a new weapon statistic bar for 'difficulty' or something to represent the necessary learning curve to using a weapon effectively.

Maybe it is just me, but it does seem harder to notice the tracer of a whiffed EOC shot compared to a whiffed HC shot. When I see a giant yellow ball flying across the battlefield, I can get a good approximation of where someone is shooting from. However, it is not as initially obvious when I start seeing pucks suddenly hitting the floor/wall near where ever I happen to be unless I happen to be looking right at the shooter.

Overall, I think the EOC does fit in pretty well with an infiltrator's kit to sneak around the flanks for a devastating first strike shot as a fully charged EOC + direct GL shot is a good amount of damage. I personally think the EOC is a really fun weapon when you are able to land the shots or use them for a smart play. Learning how to use the weapon definitely takes some time though.

#56 DFTR

DFTR

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts
  • LocationAustin, Tx

Posted April 02 2014 - 04:09 PM

Besides Amisto's excellent reply, eth0 and Dorubo provided some videos in this thread of the EOC-R:

https://community.pl...submit-footage/
[font=play, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]TAW Recruitment[/font]
[font=play, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]We are always looking to recruit new members. If you are interested in joining a great team and experiencing tactical play at its very best, fill out the [/font]application[font=play, helvetica, arial, sans-serif] on our website now. One of our dedicated staff will be in touch very soon after your application is received but if you have any questions please feel free to drop me a PM. We use Teamspeak3 to communicate on our own secure and professionally maintained servers. [/font]

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users