HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

G2-Assault

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#21 Hijinks_The_Turtle

Hijinks_The_Turtle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,569 posts
  • LocationTurtles be turtlin'

Posted February 28 2014 - 07:09 PM

View PostCpt_Kill_Jack, on February 28 2014 - 09:56 AM, said:

The G2 Assault is in a much better position now than it was when it first came out.

Mhm, I had two really decent games where two different people with AG2 ranked first.  It was rather surprising for me and awesome.

Edited by Hijinks_The_Turtle, February 28 2014 - 07:09 PM.

#22 DaOgreMan88

DaOgreMan88

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationApopka, Florida

Posted February 28 2014 - 09:14 PM

I'm slowly seeing it being used more and more. I have it myself, and it's quite a beast especially AFTER the update.

#23 randomination

randomination

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted March 01 2014 - 05:06 AM

After patch i cannot recommend this mech highly enough. Treat yourself, spend the 10 bucks. Haven't found a mech it can't go toe to toe with in a close quarters fight.

#24 Bligge

Bligge

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted March 01 2014 - 07:10 AM

Played few matches with the mech and I must admit, its the funniest mech I have.
Its also one the worst.
Dont get me wrong, the Vulcan-XTs do decent damage but the utter lack of burst is horrible. Basically I've lost every fight against good players who utilize hit&run tactics against me. G2 also isn't fast enough to catch these mechs. Also because it lacks burst (and so hit&run tactics) you have to stay in the fight and overheating becames real problem. Good thing Coolant helps with that. Bad thing you need it way more often than its cooldown allows to.
Also lacking secondary ability (TOW airburst, hellfire lock-on, mode switch etc) is kinda lame.
So if you ask me what the mech needs to be on a same level with everyone else..
1. Burst. Somehow!
2. Shorter cooldown on Coolant or some way to manage heat
3. Secondary ability. Make its Vulcans to act like ARs or something, just to add a bit of spice to the mech.

#25 Hoove

Hoove

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted March 01 2014 - 10:28 PM

The G2 Assault is in a much better position now than it was when it first came out.

It's still not enough.

#26 Cpt_Kill_Jack

Cpt_Kill_Jack

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts
  • LocationCastle Rock, CO

Posted March 02 2014 - 07:29 AM

View PostHoove, on March 01 2014 - 10:28 PM, said:

It's still not enough.

I never said it was pperfect. Just that it was in a better position than before.

#27 Magnesium_Jello

Magnesium_Jello

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted March 06 2014 - 03:50 PM

The g2 still sucks. Make it no spin up time

#28 Nereid

Nereid

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted March 13 2014 - 10:15 PM

Design wise I think this is a very aethetically pleasing mech; however, I too have my fair share of gripes about the G2. In terms of damage, it just hits like a girl--no disrespect ladies Plus, it's fueltank seems to drain much quicker than the original Assault. I'm also a little peeved at the lack of upgradable weapons. I'm also a little annoyed that the nerfed vulcans look the same as the old ones--feels kinda' lazy actually. For the money spent, it has yet to prove itself.

#29 Xodric

Xodric

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted March 15 2014 - 04:52 PM

I enjoy the G2, I just wish the Vulcans did more.... I don't want anything crazy.. just that or another set of weapons. Something. I really enjoy this mech, I want more to do with it.
Yesterday I was under-rated, Tomorrow I am over-powered, but Today I am King!

#30 Tipsy_Gunner

Tipsy_Gunner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted March 15 2014 - 09:28 PM

View PostXodric, on March 15 2014 - 04:52 PM, said:

I enjoy the G2, I just wish the Vulcans did more.... I don't want anything crazy.. just that or another set of weapons. Something. I really enjoy this mech, I want more to do with it.

This is exactly how I feel.

I've been playing Hawken for about a month now, and in that time I've dabbled with quite a few mechs. And while I've settled on a few that match my playstyle, I find myself always returning to the G2 - especially post patch.  It's definitely my pick of the bunch.

I know it probably won't be too effective in 1 vs 1 mode, where your opponent can play peekaboo while spamming you with rockets, and I admit it would be nice if the G2 had some missiles of its own. But I think the main intention of this mech was to create a machine that was free of the complexities of burst weapons.  After having played with it for awhile, I can say that there's a beautiful simplicity to it, as you don't have to worry about grenade placement, midair detonations or target lockons.  It's an absolute hoot to play in team mode, where you can support your comrades by being the real "bullet hose" of the team.  Dakka dakka dakka! as the orks in Warhammer 40k would say.

The G2 has its weaknesses, but then again, so do all the rest of them, and that's where I feel it gets an unfairly bad rap. I think all the G2 needs by way of an upgrade is for the XT's to be granted a further damage boost, in order to compensate for the lack of rockets. Then it will be lethal up close and an absolute killer at midrange, especially after you've mastered dodge. Rename it the Shredder, and it will be perfect.

Edited by Tipsy_Gunner, March 15 2014 - 09:32 PM.

Posted Image

#31 Phantasmo

Phantasmo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted March 16 2014 - 10:39 AM

It's great. I play it when I get aggraviated and desperately need that revenge, and it works.

#32 Jhen_Mohran

Jhen_Mohran

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted April 04 2014 - 07:49 AM

When I got the steam client of this game, I shortly after spent the cash and got two mechs that I felt would be right up my alley: Incinerator and G2 Assault. So far, both have met and exceeded my expectations of the mechs. As far as the G2 goes, I never considered the mech to be capable of being a hardcore killer/duelist since it lacks a means of burst; I always thought of it as a damage support, laying down suppressive fire while allowing team mates to fall back to recover (I suck at 1v1 situations and I prefer to avoid them). Those vulcans can shred enemies if they're too close, but that's if they make the mistake of having poor positioning. It is bittersweet that the guns lack a higher dps to actually shred someone apart from full health in a short amount of time compared to mechs with actual burst secondaries, but they still pack a punch and are fun to hear raining bullets regardless. Still would be nice if the dps was buffed a bit more to offset a lack of burst weapon though.

#33 Uriel_Archangel

Uriel_Archangel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted April 11 2014 - 07:09 AM

I just got the G2, its my first mech besides the normal assault. I agree with a few people here, we seem to love and hate it.

bottom line though, I feel it needs a damage buff.

With a Normal assault i can normally take out 1 B-Class mech and start on a second one. With the G2 i am lucky to kill one before getting smashed. It has no range and still requires spin up, so more close range damage seems ok to me. A good A-Class mech will still dodge circles around this slow B-Class.

As far as i can tell its just an ambush mech, wait behind a corner and open up when someone comes around. The issue here is any skilled pilot knows to back off and use their burst damage against you, leaving you retreating to a new corner or getting hit my splash.

#34 Battlesbreak

Battlesbreak

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted April 11 2014 - 10:16 AM

G2 favorite beat to listen as weapons are being spin up for mow down:  

For what I have experienced as have had been against some G2 assault players that he is quite alright just perfect distraction or flank with Infiltrator who when proceeds to distract enemies as G2 comes like a damn juggernaut taking down everything.

#35 NECRO_TYPE1

NECRO_TYPE1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted April 11 2014 - 11:45 AM

Are the Vulcan XT's the only weapon choices available for it_

#36 Mythril_Golem

Mythril_Golem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted April 11 2014 - 12:12 PM

View PostNECRO_TYPE1, on April 11 2014 - 11:45 AM, said:

Are the Vulcan XT's the only weapon choices available for it_

yup you don't get any other weapons and there's no extra skin for it either.

I haven't found it particularly lacking. I play it as support/dps, jump into an ongoing battle and just grind down the weakened targets as you walk over them. And yeah you gotta love the sound of twin vulcans :D

#37 Bjens

Bjens

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted May 01 2014 - 04:51 AM

Hi,

I'm unsure if it's related to playstyle or not, but I find it wildly weak where it seems it's suppose to be strong(est). Is it not intended to maybe be able to apply dmg mid range, but preferably stay in the realm of point blank_

Because it cannot boost and apply damage without always waiting for spin-up there should be way other changes to G2 type of mechs other than subtle number games imo, removing boost altogether in favour of better base speed_. G2 sounds to me like the mecs for Clan/Team fights. Never mind what people playing public games experience. Specialized mechs shouldn't be able to adapt to everything, but right now it feels like it can't even adapt to it's intended purpose.

#38 hellc9943

hellc9943

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted May 03 2014 - 06:56 AM

I was always unsure what is meant by mid range in Hawken. To me, being on the AA on Last Eco and hitting the sniper spots is mid range, and it works with the G2. Granted, you can't kill anyone within that range, but you can damage them enough to scare them away for a few seconds. Even if you don't do much or any real damage, it usually scares them enough and that helps defending an objective. I use the G2 as an area of denial mech as you can easily close up open areas and chokepoints with it one must pass through 'cause when they do, they run into a hail of bullets. Mid range you can also knock out half dead mechs running away before they reach a corner.

Another thing is, with the G2 you can deny a mech's playstyle. Spin-up, charge out of cover and hunt the peek-a-booing scout around his cover. You are fast, you can tank damage and you can keep firing for a long time.
I wouldn't change a thing the way the G2 is right now is fine. Removing spin up time would make it overpowered and less special.

I love G2, it outclassed Fred/Assault with Vulcans for me. I rarely play these nowadays because if I feel like Assault, I want a mech I can really assault with. Though I usually only use it for half of the match and only when I see the need for it. It certainly isn't an everyday bread-and-butter mech, but on some occasions, you can turn around a game.

That said, I see rarely good G2 players. I actually don't see many at all. I have even seen quite a few that kept standing still while firing and that made me wonder, because those guys must have maxed out their Assault to get the G2 and yet they think standing still is a good idea. OTOH I've picked up the habit of firing my SMC before rounding a corner because I am used to spin up the Vulcans before I step in the open, enemy or not.

#39 SoldierHobbes11

SoldierHobbes11

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted May 03 2014 - 11:34 PM

It may not be the best for securing kills, but it sure seems useful for making your enemies flee from you. I don't have one, but I know from fighting one, if I'm caught out in the open: game over. It's definitely good at pushing people back, and in a team game, it can be very effective if you have a wing man. I usually let a friendly G2 push an enemy back while I flank them and we crush them from two sides.
Need help with Hawken_ Click here for my Handy Hawken Handbook!

#40 Frenotx

Frenotx

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 808 posts
  • LocationConway, AR

Posted May 03 2014 - 11:46 PM

The Assault G2 is hilarious in co-op TDM.
Your friendly otter-fox hybrid abomination about town.

To pronounce my name correctly, just pretend the 't' isn't there. You can also think of it as "Freno - [sodacan opening sound]"

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users