HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Predator Weapons - Why does he feel so weak_

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 LazerusKI

LazerusKI

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted March 01 2014 - 08:16 AM

I love the predator mechanic, sneak up to a target and shoot him down...thats the theory.
But there are many mechs that are just impossible to beat for me...

Last round there was one Scout. I thought he is an easy target, so i tried to shoot him down with my Breacher...i mean...320 Armor...that nothing...big mistake. He destroyed my Predator so fast, that i could not even land my 3rd shot. i got hit by the Flak, then a TOW and my Predator went boom.
It was like "what the f. just happened_"
Sadly thats nothing unusual. there are so many Scouts, Infiltrators or Berserkers with very powerfull weapons and fast speed on the battlefied...not to mention that i dont even try to destroy a medium mech in 1v1 anymore.
G2 with twin miniguns is horrible op, he even rips through my Rocketeers front armor like if it was made of paper...not to mention what he does with my Predator.
Incernator_ i just run when i see them...Sharpshooter_ nah...
and why_ because they have either weapons with a very high RoF or weapons with better burst damage than me.

But why does he feel like that for me_
He is nothing "real". He cant deal high dps with rapidfire weapons like other medium mechs, because all of his weapons are slow and have a charge funtion - nothing for "just hold the trigger", and he cant deal burst damage like a sharpshooter or reaper because they have a primary weapon with good RoF and damage and a high damage burst-rifle as secondary...it feels so wrong...

So i tried some different weapons. T32 - a shotgun...sounds powerfull in close range...another big mistake...Breacher-Shotgun feels far more powerfull and gave me a lot more kills than the T32...enemies laugh at me when i hit them with a T32...

I thought maybe the EOC might be better, i dont have it yet...but after i have seen the video from Avatarfury i think it might be even worse...
why_ Hoppers. Everyone is jumping around...hit them with a mine_ forget it. Use minefields_ nice try...so why should i use two of these then_

Then i tried to create "traps" - worked good i thought...another mistake...bright blue bubbles on the ground can be seen so easily...sometimes in Siege it worked...but it happens a lot that the enemy dodges through the mines without taking damage...great...10 mines for nothing -.-

Is it just me as a newbie (only rank 17/ mech 4) or what is wrong_
does he feel so weak because of the whole "just hover during combat" mechanic_
Any tips you can give me_ It gets boring to wait for a weakened target that i can beat in 1v1

#2 FakeName

FakeName

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,927 posts
  • LocationIn the cockpit of my Succubus

Posted March 01 2014 - 08:18 AM

2 reasons:

1. Pred is ground focused, air combat = death
2. Pred is passive, sneak behind an enemy and finish him off, that's all you do, nothing more.

"Things change ... thank god, otherwise we would still hunt animals to survive and forge weapons of stone."

- FakeName

Posted Image

#3 Hijinks_The_Turtle

Hijinks_The_Turtle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,569 posts
  • LocationTurtles be turtlin'

Posted March 01 2014 - 08:27 AM

View PostLazerusKI, on March 01 2014 - 08:16 AM, said:

I love the predator mechanic, sneak up to a target and shoot him down...thats the theory.
But there are many mechs that are just impossible to beat for me...

Last round there was one Scout. I thought he is an easy target, so i tried to shoot him down with my Breacher...i mean...320 Armor...that nothing...big mistake. He destroyed my Predator so fast, that i could not even land my 3rd shot. i got hit by the Flak, then a TOW and my Predator went boom.
It was like "what the f. just happened_"
Sadly thats nothing unusual. there are so many Scouts, Infiltrators or Berserkers with very powerfull weapons and fast speed on the battlefied...not to mention that i dont even try to destroy a medium mech in 1v1 anymore.
G2 with twin miniguns is horrible op, he even rips through my Rocketeers front armor like if it was made of paper...not to mention what he does with my Predator.
Incernator_ i just run when i see them...Sharpshooter_ nah...
and why_ because they have either weapons with a very high RoF or weapons with better burst damage than me.

But why does he feel like that for me_
He is nothing "real". He cant deal high dps with rapidfire weapons like other medium mechs, because all of his weapons are slow and have a charge funtion - nothing for "just hold the trigger", and he cant deal burst damage like a sharpshooter or reaper because they have a primary weapon with good RoF and damage and a high damage burst-rifle as secondary...it feels so wrong...

So i tried some different weapons. T32 - a shotgun...sounds powerfull in close range...another big mistake...Breacher-Shotgun feels far more powerfull and gave me a lot more kills than the T32...enemies laugh at me when i hit them with a T32...

I thought maybe the EOC might be better, i dont have it yet...but after i have seen the video from Avatarfury i think it might be even worse...
why_ Hoppers. Everyone is jumping around...hit them with a mine_ forget it. Use minefields_ nice try...so why should i use two of these then_

Then i tried to create "traps" - worked good i thought...another mistake...bright blue bubbles on the ground can be seen so easily...sometimes in Siege it worked...but it happens a lot that the enemy dodges through the mines without taking damage...great...10 mines for nothing -.-

Is it just me as a newbie (only rank 17/ mech 4) or what is wrong_
does he feel so weak because of the whole "just hover during combat" mechanic_
Any tips you can give me_ It gets boring to wait for a weakened target that i can beat in 1v1

The thing is, Pred is more suited toward defense and modes like Siege and Missile Assault.  He is used for making chokepoints hard to get into and moving around the battlefield as a spotter.  For more tips go here: https://community.pl...atch-of-hawken/

#4 LazerusKI

LazerusKI

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted March 01 2014 - 08:34 AM

View PostFakeName, on March 01 2014 - 08:18 AM, said:

2 reasons:

2. Pred is passive, sneak behind an enemy and finish him off, that's all you do, nothing more.
Basically...just a "killstealer"...focus on repairing or damaged targets...right_

View PostHijinks_The_Turtle, on March 01 2014 - 08:27 AM, said:

The thing is, Pred is more suited toward defense and modes like Siege and Missile Assault.  He is used for making chokepoints hard to get into and moving around the battlefield as a spotter.  For more tips go here: https://community.pl...atch-of-hawken/

And there is the problem...how should i use him in defense mode, if every decent player knows how to avoid a predator-trap_
just press Tab - aha, a predator, watch out for bright lights on the ground.
One single mine can be unseen...but you need the whole 10 to be effective agaisnt one mech...
He cant lay down enough mines to defend a spot against even two other mechs. Maybe he can beat one of them...but the other one beats him then...had a very often now. Biggest problem are the fast-mechs - they may be light-armored...but the dash ruins everything.

dont get me wrong, it is fun IF it works...but its not fun when there is one single Scout that twoshots you while he avoids all mines and breacher shots...

Edited by LazerusKI, March 01 2014 - 08:36 AM.

#5 Hijinks_The_Turtle

Hijinks_The_Turtle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,569 posts

Posted March 01 2014 - 08:37 AM

View PostLazerusKI, on March 01 2014 - 08:34 AM, said:

View PostFakeName, on March 01 2014 - 08:18 AM, said:

2 reasons:

Basically...just a "killstealer"...focus on repairing or damaged targets...right_

View PostHijinks_The_Turtle, on March 01 2014 - 08:27 AM, said:

And there is the problem...how should i use him in defense mode, if every decent player knows how to avoid a predator-trap_
just press Tab - aha, a predator, watch out for bright lights on the ground.
One single mine can be unseen...but you need the whole 10 to be effective agaisnt one mech...
He cant lay down enough mines to defend a spot against even two other mechs. Maybe he can beat one of them...but the other one beats him then...had a very often now. Biggest problem are the fast-mechs - they may be light-armored...but the dash ruins everything.

It all depends on WHERE you put those traps, if you put them in an open field, of course they are going to see it. However if you put it in a tight hallway, it's hard to dodge that.  Also, put them in places where people don't tend to look.

#6 LazerusKI

LazerusKI

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted March 01 2014 - 08:45 AM

View PostHijinks_The_Turtle, on March 01 2014 - 08:37 AM, said:

It all depends on WHERE you put those traps, if you put them in an open field, of course they are going to see it. However if you put it in a tight hallway, it's hard to dodge that.  Also, put them in places where people don't tend to look.

yeah, i usually place them around corners, because most of the time there is no tight hallway :s

what about the EOC Primary_ usefull or fuzzy bunny_

#7 Hijinks_The_Turtle

Hijinks_The_Turtle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,569 posts

Posted March 01 2014 - 09:22 AM

EOC Rep is used for area denial and making larger mine fields.  The idea if you are stuck in CQC is that you shoot at where they would boost/dodge/walk. Playing the Predator (actually any mech class, but more so the Pred) is all about predicting your enemies movements.  Corners are good, I think there are more tips in the thread I posted to you, you might have to search for them a bit though.

#8 LazerusKI

LazerusKI

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted March 01 2014 - 10:12 AM

i read that topic a few days ago, but i could not see so many tips at all.
some say that the T32 is good - i think its the worst weapon ingame.
some say that the EOC combo is nice, some say that it is bad as a primary.
meh...but the idea of the HEAT is interesting...i think i would take anything if they would scrap the T32^^

Edited by LazerusKI, March 01 2014 - 10:13 AM.

#9 Odinous

Odinous

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts
  • LocationAthens,Greece

Posted March 01 2014 - 10:26 AM

View PostLazerusKI, on March 01 2014 - 10:12 AM, said:

i read that topic a few days ago, but i could not see so many tips at all.
some say that the T32 is good - i think its the worst weapon ingame.
some say that the EOC combo is nice, some say that it is bad as a primary.
meh...but the idea of the HEAT is interesting...i think i would take anything if they would scrap the T32^^
First of all u need to learn how to sneak to enemies,your stealth is your god for this,dont boost etc if you dont want to be seen by the enemy.Mine traps are ment for places where the enemy will not check,a full pack of mines for example can kill an A class mech...BOOM!Put them in places with high traffic,but behind covers,walls,near edges and hope for unsuspected victim!
T32 is good,u need to know when you charge or not,when u are approaching someone and already not in cloak charge it and while you get closer use the fast mode.its very fast rate weapon,at close combat though.Breacher is my favourite now,higher dmg,and dmg through shields,more distance.Remember dodge,even you are a B class,you can drop dead faster than other Bs.Eoc..well on this one i can't help you,tried it,not my playstyle though,i am getting crazy using this weapon :o .

#10 Farlanghn

Farlanghn

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted March 01 2014 - 10:59 AM

Edited by Farlanghn, March 01 2014 - 11:01 AM.

#11 Farlanghn

Farlanghn

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted March 01 2014 - 10:59 AM

If you are trying to take out a scout with full health, thats your first mistake! It is not like the Predator movie.

First, Always have ten mines placed somewhere! All right next to eachother and usually in a choke point. Ten Mines will kill any A-Class in in one hit.

Then wait to fight a mech that has ALREADY taken damage. And never fight them in an open area. You need to boost in and out of cover. On my predator I also have the scambler. Its to basically mask you on the radar.

I have my pred with an elite skin and I love the mech but only after learning to use it.

Plus I maining use the EOC repeater. Fully Charged it hurts. And if not they lay more mines. Remember a side dodge will keep it charged too. That why you boost in and out of cover.

Edited by Farlanghn, March 01 2014 - 11:01 AM.

#12 Odinous

Odinous

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts
  • LocationAthens,Greece

Posted March 01 2014 - 11:05 AM

View PostFarlanghn, on March 01 2014 - 10:59 AM, said:

If you are trying to take out a scout with full health, thats your first mistake! It is not like the Predator movie.

First, Always have ten mines placed somewhere! All right next to eachother and usually in a choke point. Ten Mines will kill any A-Class in in one hit.

Then wait to fight a mech that has ALREADY taken damage. And never fight them in an open area. You need to boost in and out of cover. On my predator I also have the scambler. Its to basically mask you on the radar.

I have my pred with an elite skin and I love the mech but only after learning to use it.

Plus I maining use the EOC repeater. Fully Charged it hurts. And if not they lay more mines. Remember a side dodge will keep it charged too. That why you boost in and out of cover.
an unsuspected scout,full charged breacher+eoc predator,few seconds,unsuspected though :P

#13 Farlanghn

Farlanghn

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted March 01 2014 - 11:11 AM

View PostOdinous, on March 01 2014 - 11:05 AM, said:

View PostFarlanghn, on March 01 2014 - 10:59 AM, said:

an unsuspected scout,full charged breacher+eoc predator,few seconds,unsuspected though :P

Still, High level scouts are the worst. Its a good idea to never do it. Plus one EOC pred only does like 50 damage. The TOW does more and with the scout flies then you laying mines wont do anything.

Edited by Farlanghn, March 01 2014 - 11:12 AM.

#14 LazerusKI

LazerusKI

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted March 01 2014 - 11:40 AM

just unlocked the EOC...dont like it -.-
i will stick with my breacher then...better than nothing

#15 Hellrazer_001

Hellrazer_001

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted March 02 2014 - 03:38 PM

Now people are getting used to the Predator Tactics, Glowing Blinking Mines, are not so effective, I have stood in Stelath near them, and more and more I am watching people stop and look and then fire a rocket or 2 into them, the Blinking neads to go, they are easy enough to see, with out the blinking.

#16 Lightangel112

Lightangel112

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted March 02 2014 - 04:14 PM

The removal of the blinking would be great.

https://community.pl...predator-guide/

Here is my guide bro, read it if you like.

View PostMeraple, on June 01 2014 - 11:54 AM, said:

If you want to be a Professional Yolodriver just go with DETs and the rest EMPs.

#17 Hell_Diguner

Hell_Diguner

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted March 02 2014 - 05:14 PM

For me, playing the Predator is like playing stealth and sniper combined in other FPS games. You use the stealth to get around and observe without being observed, but everything else reminds me of being a sniper - you need superb situational awareness, planning, and positioning skills to be effective... but when you hit the sweet spot you can play the meta of a match and exponentially improve your team's chances of winning. Getting kills is tertiary to area denial, ganking, finishing, distracting, and so on. You'll never see a predator do well in high skill deathmatch, and it's unlikely in team deathmatch.

All its weapons are viable in different situations. The EOC Repeater is king of burst damage, plus it has a small amount of mine-layer functionality. T32-Bolt has more close range sustained damage than Breacher (faster RoF), and the Breacher has more burst damage and the slugs do better mid range damage than the T32. The EOC Predator is one of the few sustained damage secondary weapons, though DPS is outdone by the other sustained damage secondaries: the SAARE (Incinerator) and the Vulcan XT-R (Assault G2). Unfortunately, because of how the Predator is usually played, a burst secondary would have been more useful. Good new is you can get that burst with mine fields. Bad news is it takes a while to set a mine field up, and they're easy to visually detect.

#18 Hellrazer_001

Hellrazer_001

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted March 02 2014 - 09:24 PM

View PostLightangel112, on March 02 2014 - 04:14 PM, said:

The removal of the blinking would be great.

https://community.pl...predator-guide/

Here is my guide bro, read it if you like.

Aready did :) well done, but I still think the Predator is at a disadvantage :).

#19 Lightangel112

Lightangel112

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted March 03 2014 - 04:20 AM

Yes it naturally will be at a disadvantage to some mechs. Predator is used for ambushes, defence and defence. Which means that apart from ambushing you can't attack as heavily as a scout could potentially do. That is why in the guide, I stated that if you happen to encounter a mech that could kill you, (stronger by pilot or weapons) you should retreat and observe/plan before you engage in a fight. Find an alternative route or way to get at your target. Cause unless you have the element of surprise to ambush someone (this is usually CQC territory) most times predator will be disadvantaged. You want to keep your opponent at bay (having some distance apart) and dodging their secondary weapon, using cover preferably. Usually if I have no cover against an assault, first thing I do is asses the persons skill, if his skill is decent, I have on choice but to play the retreat card and play it a different way.

Edited by Lightangel112, March 03 2014 - 04:21 AM.

View PostMeraple, on June 01 2014 - 11:54 AM, said:

If you want to be a Professional Yolodriver just go with DETs and the rest EMPs.

#20 Onyxmizer

Onyxmizer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted March 03 2014 - 08:50 AM

Pred isnt a 1v1 vehical. It's a defender. (IE: you have someone to defend)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users