HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

PSA: The HC Grind

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
201 replies to this topic

#1 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

Lithium Cellophane Unicorn Salad

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted March 02 2014 - 01:20 AM

I keep seeing people saying the grind in Hawken isn't that bad. And many, many of the people I see saying this are those who have lots of time to dedicate to Hawken, as well as are veteran players.

Let's take a look at some numbers.
127 HC per win low average
180 HC per win high average
15 minutes per match average (averaged across all gametypes, excluding co-op)

6408 HC per weapon (2 weapons per mech)
5128-6510 per HC T3 Item (Because the cheaper items are useless)
3846-5128 per HC T2 Item (Because the cheaper items are useless)
T1 Items not listed, as most are free.
1920 HC per 3 Slot Internal
1280 HC per 2 Slot Internal
640 HC per 1 Slot Internal

Cost to unlock all weapons for a mech: 12816 HC
Average cost to buy full set of T2 or higher items: 7397 HC
Average cost to buy full set of internals: 3840 HC

Cost to fully outfit 1 mech: 24053 HC

Cost to fully outfit current roster (w/o Cupcake): 408901 HC
Mech purchase cost included: 570377 HC

Low average grind
Grind time to fully outfit all mechs (w/o any Daily Bonus): 1123 hours (47 days)
Grind time to fully outfit all mechs (with all Daily Bonuses): 1007 hours (42 days)

High average grind
Grind time to fully outfit all mechs (w/o any Daily Bonus): 792 hours (33 days)
Grind time to fully outfit all mechs (with all Daily Bonuses): 735 hours (31 days)

Keep in mind, all these numbers (especially the high average) are extremely optimistic, as they do not account for losing, the wait times between matches, or buying more than 1 set of items and internals.

To get anywhere near these numbers you would need to get back to back matches with minimal wait times, and win constantly.

EDIT: This also assumes you are able to purchase everything right away, and does not account for experience gain.

Edited by AsianJoyKiller, March 02 2014 - 02:43 AM.

[HWK]HUGHES, on July 03 2013 - 11:07 PM, said:

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

#2 DerMax

DerMax

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,270 posts
  • LocationRussia

Posted March 02 2014 - 01:29 AM

These numbers are not extremely optimistic, they are improbable. You can easily multiply them by 1.25 to 1.5 to account for losses. Now add the upcoming G2 mechs and outfits for them and you will get closer to 1,000,000 HC. This is exorbitant compared to other F2P games I have played.

Edited by DerMax, March 02 2014 - 01:29 AM.

#3 Ker4u

Ker4u

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,341 posts
  • LocationLocation Location

Posted March 02 2014 - 01:40 AM

just donate tm

- lok'tar ogar -

#4 schwanzlurch

schwanzlurch

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Locationurodelapool

Posted March 02 2014 - 01:43 AM

thanks AJK for playing the number game here...but i come from a time, in which we played games for more than a day...with this massive overflow of different games every month, some people want all ( content / stuff) and right now;  the progression over time and the related rewards are drifting more and more into background and out of sight...
~ schwanzlurch est UrODelA is the SalamandeR ist der ~
Posted Image

#5 Ker4u

Ker4u

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,341 posts

Posted March 02 2014 - 01:45 AM

View Postschwanzlurch, on March 02 2014 - 01:43 AM, said:

thanks AJK for playing the number game here...but i come from a time, in which we played games for more than a day.
wasn't everything accessible from day1 in those fine days_

- lok'tar ogar -

#6 DerMax

DerMax

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,270 posts
  • LocationRussia

Posted March 02 2014 - 01:48 AM

AJK, could you please calculate the amount of MC needed for purchasing everything_

#7 Ker4u

Ker4u

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,341 posts

Posted March 02 2014 - 01:52 AM

View PostDerMax, on March 02 2014 - 01:48 AM, said:

AJK, could you please calculate the amount of MC needed for purchasing everything_
mc to hc ratio is approximately 1 to 9 so its 63 000 mc~ (450$) _

Edited by Ker4u, March 02 2014 - 01:52 AM.

- lok'tar ogar -

#8 Beemann

Beemann

Sentient Wall-of-Text

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,974 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted March 02 2014 - 01:53 AM

View PostKer4u, on March 02 2014 - 01:45 AM, said:

View Postschwanzlurch, on March 02 2014 - 01:43 AM, said:

thanks AJK for playing the number game here...but i come from a time, in which we played games for more than a day.
And a lot of them had spectate, you could host your own servers, you could make your own mods and you could fix up the HUD if you didn't like it
Heck, the Tribes community went and supported the game all on their own once it went abandonware (This is true for both Starsiege and Tribes 2 AFAIK)

Also I like how there's no middle ground between 1 day and 47 days of straight gameplay (which is more like a year of play for most people)
Posted Image

C-Class Swagger
Ballin' and Brawlin'
Cloakin' and Smokin'

#9 schwanzlurch

schwanzlurch

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Locationurodelapool

Posted March 02 2014 - 01:53 AM

in some games...true...but in others you have to run through a bunch of levels/hours to get the bigger gun/ armor/ item...sanity ^^...and you have to jump the hoop over and over again...till it was done...ohh the rage and fustration...and finally delicious success !
Posted Image

#10 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted March 02 2014 - 01:54 AM

View Postschwanzlurch, on March 02 2014 - 01:53 AM, said:

in some games...true...but in others you have to run through a bunch of levels/hours to get the bigger gun/ armor/ item...sanity ^^...and you have to jump the hoop over and over again...till it was done...ohh the rage and fustration...and finally delicious success !
And what games would those be_

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

#11 Dr_Freeze001

Dr_Freeze001

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts
  • LocationBelgium, GMT+1

Posted March 02 2014 - 02:06 AM

You have to keep in mind tho, if you want to fully unlock a mech, you don't actually have to grind 47 or 42 days. You can unlock thing one at a time, as many as 2 items a day if you're good. This can lead to the grind "feeling" less long.

People don't think in terms of "I want the full mech" but "I want this item/internal/thingy". And if they play enough they can get that item they want that very same day, wich feels very rewarding and makes them play even more. And playing more means getting more HC and unlocking more things daily and before you know it you've bought everything for that mech.

#12 Krellus

Krellus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted March 02 2014 - 02:06 AM

I agree its too grindy

#13 Eman29

Eman29

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted March 02 2014 - 02:07 AM

well multiplayer games have A LOT of replay value.  
I got 280 hours on left 4 dead 2, easy.
Then add $10-$60 to the bundles which im sure theyre gonne have that unlock a lot from the start, and the fact that you dont even need every single thing from every single mech, it really isnt that outrageous like you make it sound.

If the grind wasnt rough, thered be no incentive to pay.
And when your running off donations.. well we all know how that goes...

Posted Image

#14 Beemann

Beemann

Sentient Wall-of-Text

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,974 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted March 02 2014 - 02:14 AM

View PostEman29, on March 02 2014 - 02:07 AM, said:

well multiplayer games have A LOT of replay value.  
I got 280 hours on left 4 dead 2, easy.
Then add $10-$60 to the bundles which im sure theyre gonne have that unlock a lot from the start, and the fact that you dont even need every single thing from every single mech, it really isnt that outrageous like you make it sound.

If the grind wasnt rough, thered be no incentive to pay.
And when your running off donations.. well we all know how that goes...
It's not every single thing from every single mech... it's 1 set of items/internals for each mech
Also to unlock every mech in hawken currently, max them, and put one set of items and internals on them you'd need to nearly quadruple your L4D time
And more stuff will be added by the time you do that. Some of it will most likely be more powerful than a good chunk of the stuff you already have

View PostDr_Freeze001, on March 02 2014 - 02:06 AM, said:

You have to keep in mind tho, if you want to fully unlock a mech, you don't actually have to grind 47 or 42 days. You can unlock thing one at a time, as many as 2 items a day if you're good. This can lead to the grind "feeling" less long.

People don't think in terms of "I want the full mech" but "I want this item/internal/thingy". And if they play enough they can get that item they want that very same day, wich feels very rewarding and makes them play even more. And playing more means getting more HC and unlocking more things daily and before you know it you've bought everything for that mech.
"It feels" != "It is"
Posted Image

C-Class Swagger
Ballin' and Brawlin'
Cloakin' and Smokin'

#15 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted March 02 2014 - 02:16 AM

View PostDr_Freeze001, on March 02 2014 - 02:06 AM, said:

Let me do a little more math for you.

Let's assume you can only play 2 hours a day. Assuming you constantly win with minimal wait times, it'll take you roughly 24 days to outfit one mech, and you'd only be able to buy the cheaper internals in one session.

Edited by AsianJoyKiller, March 02 2014 - 02:16 AM.

AJK is right

#16 Dr_Freeze001

Dr_Freeze001

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts
  • LocationBelgium, GMT+1

Posted March 02 2014 - 02:26 AM

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on March 02 2014 - 02:16 AM, said:

Let's assume you can only play 2 hours a day. Assuming you constantly win with minimal wait times, it'll take you roughly 24 days to outfit one mech, and you'd only be able to buy the cheaper internals in one session.

I see, so by "outfit one mech", you mean buy one set of internals. My bad, I didn't understand.

Also, it is assumed in your topic that you CAN buy every internal, meaning that you have to be pilot level 30. Getting to that level in itself is quite a grind.

#17 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted March 02 2014 - 02:28 AM

View PostDr_Freeze001, on March 02 2014 - 02:26 AM, said:

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on March 02 2014 - 02:16 AM, said:

I see, so by "outfit one mech", you mean buy one set of internals. My bad, I didn't understand.

Also, it is assumed in your topic that you CAN buy every internal, meaning that you have to be pilot level 30. Getting to that level in itself is quite a grind.
Correct. I did not account for the XP grind.

AJK is right

#18 Dr_Freeze001

Dr_Freeze001

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts
  • LocationBelgium, GMT+1

Posted March 02 2014 - 02:30 AM

You're right, this looks like quite a mountain to climb.

#19 schwanzlurch

schwanzlurch

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Locationurodelapool

Posted March 02 2014 - 02:33 AM

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on March 02 2014 - 01:54 AM, said:

View Postschwanzlurch, on March 02 2014 - 01:53 AM, said:

And what games would those be_

hmm...i would like to generalize both ways here with two games everybody knows (  based on skill and reaction time )...quake arena: everything is on the table...grab weapon... search & destroy  - Contra: embrace the progress...start, charge, die...try again
Posted Image

#20 Beemann

Beemann

Sentient Wall-of-Text

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,974 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted March 02 2014 - 02:37 AM

View Postschwanzlurch, on March 02 2014 - 02:33 AM, said:

hmm...i would like to generalize both ways here with two games everybody knows (  based on skill and reaction time )...quake arena: everything is on the table...grab weapon... search & destroy  - Contra: embrace the progress...start, charge, die...try again
Except in Contra you earn everything in gameplay. You don't start off a new game of Contra with whatever gun you want
You also don't play it against other people, unless you're counting speedruns in which everyone starts off on even footing
Posted Image

C-Class Swagger
Ballin' and Brawlin'
Cloakin' and Smokin'

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users