HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

New Player Question for Experienced Reaper Pilots

Game

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Kneon

Kneon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted March 10 2014 - 06:46 AM

Hey guys,
I just started a couple days ago, love the game, trying to learn everything I can.  So far I've tried the MayTag Washing Machine, the Assault, G2 and the Reaper.  I've got a 80% win rate and 2/1 K/D so far.

I've read the sticky guide to all-mechs, and that was awesome, but I'm having a lot of trouble with the Reaper. I understand it might just not be "my class" but I don't want to give up on it so easily.  First impression is A-Class is ROUGH.  I understand the idea is you're trading off tankiness for range, sit back and snipe, but I don't feel like I'm doing more damage than say the Assault.  Or enough damage to where the trade off feels worth it.   I've only got the AM-Sar so far, so maybe I need to unlock the other weapons for it_

What am I missing here.  How do you guys make this little guy work_  Or is A-Class just for the top tier players_

Thanks for your help guys!

Edited by Kneon, March 10 2014 - 06:47 AM.

#2 Ker4u

Ker4u

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,341 posts
  • LocationLocation Location

Posted March 10 2014 - 06:53 AM

you bought the trickiest a-class  that got different role,  and yes it's dps is lower,  scout/berzerker are much better for 1v1's

- lok'tar ogar -

#3 FakeName

FakeName

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,927 posts
  • LocationIn the cockpit of my Succubus

Posted March 10 2014 - 07:04 AM

View PostKneon, on March 10 2014 - 06:46 AM, said:

Hey guys,
I just started a couple days ago, love the game, trying to learn everything I can.  So far I've tried the MayTag Washing Machine, the Assault, G2 and the Reaper.  I've got a 80% win rate and 2/1 K/D so far.

I've read the sticky guide to all-mechs, and that was awesome, but I'm having a lot of trouble with the Reaper. I understand it might just not be "my class" but I don't want to give up on it so easily.  First impression is A-Class is ROUGH.  I understand the idea is you're trading off tankiness for range, sit back and snipe, but I don't feel like I'm doing more damage than say the Assault.  Or enough damage to where the trade off feels worth it.   I've only got the AM-Sar so far, so maybe I need to unlock the other weapons for it_

What am I missing here.  How do you guys make this little guy work_  Or is A-Class just for the top tier players_

Thanks for your help guys!

1. ... WHATTHEFU*K these stats!
2. Welcome to Hawken!
3. A-class are supposed to be glass cannons, their strenght is mobillity/speed/agillity. Most important thing: avoid dmg in any case.
4. The AM-Sar is a good weapon, though not the best, it is a mixture of the SA-hawkins and the Prestige, the slug rifle. If you preafre long range, aim for the Slug rifle and get used to aiming skills etc. If you are an agressive pilot and you like something like close-mid combat, aim for SA-Hawkins. They are fast and have a good DPS for an A class. In addition you can snipe with your abillity.
If you are pro enought, take the slug in close combat (I myself find it hard but it is fun!) But remeber: Your abillity is sueless with the SLug-Sabot combination though there is a huge discussion on the forums around that. Hopefully he gets a firerate buff instead of accuracy.

Conclusion: Reaper can be palyed in different ways. From close to long ranged combats. Use your advantage, which is range and attack mid-healthed targets in close combat. For proffessional Reaper plays, PM Kopra, He is a good SA-Hawkins player. If you are interested in slug reaper, you can ask me, I will help where I can.

"Things change ... thank god, otherwise we would still hunt animals to survive and forge weapons of stone."

- FakeName

Posted Image

#4 Silk_Sk

Silk_Sk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted March 10 2014 - 07:20 AM

When you go A-class, you're trading armor for speed, not range. That goes for all the A-classes including the Reaper. While it is technically a sniper, it is actually more of a mid-long range mech. If you play it like a smaller sharpshooter you won't be very effective.

The Reaper's specialty is harassment. Use your speed to engage at mid-range (the longer side of mid-range) and do as much damage as you can while dodging fire, then retreat if you can't get a kill. You aren't supposed to be a ganker. your role is to be a distraction, but a deadly one if left alone. Unlike the SS, your speed allows you to close in and finish off a damaged opponent, but don't get too hungry and fall for an ambush.

Except for the tech, the Reaper's DPS is the lowest in the game, but it is by no means weak. Get yourself some detonators or EMP/ISMs to help if you ever get into CQC. Never forget how fast you are. You are not a sniper. You can't just park your butt anywhere and take your time aiming. Be moving, be dodging, and attack when your team does. Be outside the melee, but not too far away so that you can't join in if necessary.

Edited by Silk_Sk, March 10 2014 - 07:27 AM.

Posted Image

#5 Kneon

Kneon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted March 10 2014 - 07:36 AM

View PostSilk_Sk, on March 10 2014 - 07:20 AM, said:

The Reaper's specialty is harassment... your role is to be a distraction... Never forget how fast you are. ... Be moving, be dodging, and attack when your team does. Be outside the melee, but not too far away so that you can't join in if necessary.

This is all very helpful.  I was definitely playing it more like a small SS, and was like "wow this sucks".  I'll try and use that speed, hit and run stuff.

On the sticky mech guide, the Sabot rifle or whatever I have was listed as a "charge" weapon_  Is there some way to charge up that thing, or is it just click ->punch_   Obviously I know you can zoom-in, but I was confused it was listed with other "charge before firing" weapons.

#6 Silk_Sk

Silk_Sk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted March 10 2014 - 07:49 AM

Yeah, that graphic is misleading. Neither sabot weapons are charge types. You simply do a bit more damage if you fire while scoped. But the Sharpshooter's power shot ability does increase the Sabot's damage. The Reaper's KE-sabot has no such boost. The Reaper's ability allows you to temporarily have more accuracy, which is helpful when shooting un-scoped.

Edited by Silk_Sk, March 10 2014 - 07:50 AM.

Posted Image

#7 artillarmech

artillarmech

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted March 10 2014 - 04:54 PM

personally, I use the Hawkins-RPR as my primary and it is a beast. except for several other Light mechs and the Rocketeer, I can generally 1v1 most enemies, the difficulty is moving fast WHILE having near 90% accuracy since the RPR overheats the mech at a ridiculous rate. As long as I don't go against a mech with homing weapons or is faster/can dodge midair I can generally take them down. the only problem with it is groups, concentrated fire takes the Reaper down faster than a stationary scout. the RPR is also surprisingly accurate for a rapid fire weapon, although not a sniper, it has decent accuracy for mid-long range. the Reaper is more of a harasser than anything else, in my opinion, since it can jump in, deal tons of damage for a short period, then jump out.

#8 LoC_TR

LoC_TR

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted March 11 2014 - 07:11 PM

Tooting my own horn.

http://www.twitch.tv/loc____/c/3864910

Posted Image

vR-Gaming

Raider Vids>>>Twitch Youtube<<<Raider Vids 2500mmr

Fuzzy Bunny Stats

#9 Farlanghn

Farlanghn

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted March 11 2014 - 10:09 PM

1) you don't need to toot your own horn. Most people on the forums won't care about your win % or K/D.

2) Hawkins is great. Bought the slug and its good if you don't want to be in the mix. My play style is up close so what I do is hit my ability (better accuracy) then lay on the fire. Strafe and no scope the sabot. That is how I play. You do have to be good at lining up your shot but it fire so fast it's not hard. Close to dying fire a detonator.

#10 LoC_TR

LoC_TR

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted March 11 2014 - 11:59 PM

View PostFarlanghn, on March 11 2014 - 10:09 PM, said:

1) you don't need to toot your own horn. Most people on the forums won't care about your win % or K/D.

2) Hawkins is great. Bought the slug and its good if you don't want to be in the mix. My play style is up close so what I do is hit my ability (better accuracy) then lay on the fire. Strafe and no scope the sabot. That is how I play. You do have to be good at lining up your shot but it fire so fast it's not hard. Close to dying fire a detonator.

Didnt even get a good k/d it was just a good match. Relax fool. I put it up so people can watch how i move not how to get kills. :angry:

Edited by LoC_TR, March 12 2014 - 12:55 AM.

Posted Image

vR-Gaming

Fuzzy Bunny Stats

#11 Farlanghn

Farlanghn

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted March 12 2014 - 01:13 AM

View PostLoC_TR, on March 11 2014 - 11:59 PM, said:

Didnt even get a good k/d it was just a good match. Relax fool. I put it up so people can watch how i move not how to get kills. :angry:

Not you, the OP. I didn't watch your video

#12 LoC_TR

LoC_TR

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted March 12 2014 - 11:24 AM

View PostFarlanghn, on March 12 2014 - 01:13 AM, said:

View PostLoC_TR, on March 11 2014 - 11:59 PM, said:

Not you, the OP. I didn't watch your video

Ahhhh sry i was mixing up two different Reaper threads anyways.

Posted Image

vR-Gaming

Fuzzy Bunny Stats

#13 FirstRaven

FirstRaven

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • LocationIn the cockpit of an A Class mecha- behind you.

Posted March 15 2014 - 06:50 AM

I've always been a Reaper pilot.
Otherwise, I prefer Scout and Tech.

While I would primarily classify it as a support mech in team play, I believe it's role extends far past mere harrasment; kind of the opposite, really; I think a Good Scout (or just about anything else) can harrass and distract any mech pilot into a kill box. It's primary role in team play is covering your teammates- I generally get many more assists than kills in a match, and way more savior kills in the Reaper than any other mech by far. The Reaper Can and Does stand on its own, it's just difficult to master. Play lots of Death Match.

In the Reaper, Keep them at range as much as possible and Scope frequently.
When you're at range, keep them ranged without giving away your position.
Blast them with fire, unscope and move.
Scope in and repeat.

A Hawkins RPR is the standard wep for a Reaper if you have any hope of survival and prevailing in Close Quarters. The Scout is by far the hardest mech in the game to pilot, though if you can learn how to pilot a Scout, and then apply that to a Reaper with a Hawkins, your K:D will be positive.

An Air Compressor and Air180 internals are key to harnessing the maneuverability of the A Class Mechs.
I also standardly use a basic reconstructor and a small repair kit on all of my class A's. A Basic Deflector is Good in the beginning, though a Power Surger is fun when you get on a roll in an A Class.

With Class A's particularly, you have to learn the maps and use cover. Remember that boosting and bumping into things gives away your position, as well as using fuel. Conserving fuel is critical in all Class A mecha, especially Scout.

Learn to play the map.
Position yourself well.
Use Cover- Cover is your armor in a class A.
Conserve Fuel.
Scope In.
Aim first, then Fire.
Use Cover.
Scope Out.

In class A mecha especially, Always know where your buddies are in team matches and every piece of cover between them and you. Tech is good for learning cover in, it has a short wep range and you learn where everyone goes on the maps. Highest walking speed and lowest armor, so it's great for learning how to move through the maps using cover without giving away your position.

Just keep at it; I've been playig for months and am just starting to get the hang of it.

Cheers!

Edited by FirstRaven, March 15 2014 - 07:19 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Game

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users