HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Learn Tactics before badmouthingTeammates

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#41 Bazookagofer

Bazookagofer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted April 02 2014 - 02:26 PM

View PostxXxF4gg0txXx, on April 02 2014 - 06:56 AM, said:

While i agree with most points you stated, i hardly disagree with 1 of em. "It is just a game afterall" , that is the mating call of a loser justifying himself. Play for nothing but victory, that is the meaning of games/competing/betting whatever you want to call it.The goal of video games is "TOO HAVE FUN". If your playing games just too "win" I suggest getting your priorities straight. I once had a PVP match in TOR with a try hard whose definition of "FUN" was "WINNING" . I play games too have fun not to be a frigging try hard. I also want to relax. Of course that doesn't mean you should be a **** and do nothing.

We play because we want to win, no one gets anything for losing except a feeling of frustration. I don't mind losing. I think it good for the soul. Leaves your ego in check.

So if you want to fuzzy bunny around and don't take things seriously, go play singleplayer games. If you think what you do is trolling, think again, it is not, you are telling that to yourself that you are not even trying to convince yourself and others that you are not bad. Some losers take it even so far that they hack and pretend to be good eventually starting to believe their own lie. OK... this applies to some people

And another thing, if you care to respond and take the effort to post and reply to others you are a nerd yourself (if you care so much to post such a massive thread you are nerdy as fuzzy bunny and what you said). Don't fool yourself, you are here reading this because your nerdy side tells you to. Embrace it/accept it that all gamers are nerds that have some issues when it comes to losing. And yes, i mean YOU the one that is currently reading this. Think about it and be honest to yourself. I am a nerd /geek I can lead a conversation just quoting movies and games probably :D ... and I don't mind losing ... not ... one ... bit... because I used to be a try hard and then i got my butt kicked in IRL and decided that winning isn't everything.

Thank you for trying to improve the community but DON'T use a sentence such as "it is only a game" after you took that much effort to elaborate your thoughts to everyone trying to actively accomplish something. BUT IT IS ONLY A GAME. Just have fun. If you try to hard you won't enjoy the experience.

Just to make things clear, i am NOT just talking to OP i am talking to EVERYONE who reads this. There is a reason why you are here reading this and the reason is YOU ARE A GAMER! Be proud of it don't ditch yourself by saying it is ONLY a game, because it is NOT. And with every loss something dies inside you. Now go out there and WIN ;)

Truly yours,

A Nerd
Dude... this post really offended me but since I am a casual and a pretty nice guy I will let it go...

Posted Image "If at first you do not succeed... reload"

#42 reVelske

reVelske

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • LocationJHB, SA

Posted April 02 2014 - 09:00 PM

Having fun and winning aren't mutually exclusive, though always keep in mind that "fun" is subjective.

But, if your "fun" involves not playing in accordance to the game's objective, you honestly should have your "fun" elsewhere.

Edited by reVelske, April 02 2014 - 09:03 PM.

#43 Bazookagofer

Bazookagofer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted April 03 2014 - 08:52 AM

I never said don't play the objectives.

#44 caduceus26

caduceus26

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts
  • LocationHere

Posted April 04 2014 - 01:32 PM

It is really interesting to read some of the comments that focus on the trees and miss the entire forest. An illustration (like the SS one) becomes the raison d'etre to the exclusion of the overall point of the post. Hardly mention was made regarding the examples I used for Incinerator, Grenadier, or Tech.  I get amused when some reply is railing at the SS and completely ignoring the difference in what I said in my SS illustration --"in" the AA vs, "on" the AA.

Nowhere in the post is there any suggestion that the game objective is to be ignored or that positioning isn't important. In fact, that was the entire point of the post. Those things come with better understanding of the game mode and better team coordination--not wailing on your teammates with negativity.

A big "thank you" to all those who did, or will get the point.  It IS a game, not RL and it is true that fun and playing to win is, or should be part of it. However, when winning becomes the only reason to play then it may be time to find something else to do. Let's keep playing and having fun.  Win when we can--lose graciously when we can't, and show respect for both our teammates and opponents.  

There is not much that can be done for anyone else who chooses to turn this game into a miserable slog for themselves except for not letting them ruin our enjoyment of the game. :lol:
ASUS P9X79LE /i7-3820 3.6 (OC 4.7) /Corsair H80 Liquid CPU Cooling /16 Gb RAM /Dual-SLI EVGA 670 2 Gb Sig II /Antec 850 PSU /Antec 1200 Black Steel Tower
MaddMaxx (Zerker) / Silent Knight (Infil) / BurnYa (Scout) / Scythe (Reaper) / S0ckd0lag3r (Aslt) / PopOff (SS) / Bluto (Bruiser) / xXRoadRageXx (CR-T) / ShiftySwifty (Raider+G2) / PatchUp (Tech) / Krusher (Brawler) / Seekin' Ya'! (Rocketeer) / Doughboy (Vngrd) / FireFly (Incin)

#45 reVelske

reVelske

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • LocationJHB, SA

Posted April 04 2014 - 02:17 PM

Oh get off that high horse.

Again, try understand exactly WHY some people would get frustrated enough to start badmouthing. I certainly wouldn't say that all badmouthing cases are justifiable, but based on the examples YOU've provided, they frankly are. You tried to justify your playstyle and argued - using those justifications as your reasoning - that the badmouthing wasn't necessary, then you back off from the specific "sniper" example and declare that people are "focusing on trees and not forest", what a bloody joke. The counterargument regarding snipers (or SS specifically) can easily be replaced with whatever other bots of your choice. Point is, there is absolutely no excuse for not being on AA regardless of your class, no matter what you think you can accomplish from a distance, you can do it better whilst being more helpful to your team when on top of AA.

But hey, completely and utterly ignore the reason behind your fellow players' frustration, focus on you and yourself only. IT'S ONLY A GAME. Yes, game is there to have fun in, and as mentioned, "fun" is subjective. Winning and losing isn't the issue, the issue comes in when specific individuals - THINKING they know what they are doing - contributed greatly to the actual defeat of the team, despite what others tried to tell said individual. This is when you stubbornly made a selfish decision to prioritize YOUR definition of fun over OTHERS, you are directly making other people have a fuzzy bunny game.

IT'S JUST A GAME, GUYS.

What a farce.

View PostThe_Silencer, on April 02 2014 - 12:37 PM, said:

IMHO. I like more sophisticated possibilities on the field; so to speak.

Have you ever tried to communicating your "sophisticated possibilities" to your team_ Or is this "I'll play my fancy way, you play yours"_ I can almost accept certain level of "campy" playstyle if it was within an organized environment, but it isn't, it is a pubbie with people you probably made 0 effort communicating with. By playing your fancy ways, you are only putting extra pressure on your teammates, just because it suits your personal style.

View PostBazookagofer, on April 03 2014 - 08:52 AM, said:

I never said don't play the objectives.

I wasn't referring to you specifically.

Edited by reVelske, April 04 2014 - 02:31 PM.

#46 caduceus26

caduceus26

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts
  • LocationHere

Posted April 04 2014 - 03:14 PM

View PostreVelske, on April 04 2014 - 02:17 PM, said:

Oh get off that high horse.

Stung ya', huh_  Must have seen yourself in the post and didn't like what you saw.  It's guys with attitudes like yours that the original post is referring to.  Not gonna get into a flame war with you about it.  If you don't like it, tough.

Edited by caduceus26, April 04 2014 - 03:15 PM.

ASUS P9X79LE /i7-3820 3.6 (OC 4.7) /Corsair H80 Liquid CPU Cooling /16 Gb RAM /Dual-SLI EVGA 670 2 Gb Sig II /Antec 850 PSU /Antec 1200 Black Steel Tower
MaddMaxx (Zerker) / Silent Knight (Infil) / BurnYa (Scout) / Scythe (Reaper) / S0ckd0lag3r (Aslt) / PopOff (SS) / Bluto (Bruiser) / xXRoadRageXx (CR-T) / ShiftySwifty (Raider+G2) / PatchUp (Tech) / Krusher (Brawler) / Seekin' Ya'! (Rocketeer) / Doughboy (Vngrd) / FireFly (Incin)

#47 reVelske

reVelske

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • LocationJHB, SA

Posted April 04 2014 - 03:33 PM

And just bruuuussh it aall aaawaaay~

I frankly take great offense to people who would happily throw the entirety of the blame on others whilst failing to acknowledge any fault on their part, when they clearly fail to understand the matter from others' perspective whilst stubbornly and selfishly chose to stand by their own flawed beliefs.

And nothing drills me more than when someone crutches off "it's just a game" as some kind of valid excuse for every possible bad behaviour in a video game. A game is a platform for people to have fun, and MANY people at the same time when it comes to multiplayer game. When you are failing to consider the "fun" and enjoyability of the game for everyone else, you are failing at the concept of "game".

But fine, sure, go ahead, leave the very topic you started yourself when others attempt to argue your point, label it as a potential "flame war" the moment anyone come with a strong opposing opinion.

#48 caduceus26

caduceus26

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts
  • LocationHere

Posted April 04 2014 - 04:22 PM

View PostreVelske, on April 04 2014 - 03:33 PM, said:

And just bruuuussh it aall aaawaaay~

I frankly take great offense to people who would happily throw the entirety of the blame on others whilst failing to acknowledge any fault on their part, when they clearly fail to understand the matter from others' perspective whilst stubbornly and selfishly chose to stand by their own flawed beliefs.

And nothing drills me more than when someone crutches off "it's just a game" as some kind of valid excuse for every possible bad behaviour in a video game. A game is a platform for people to have fun, and MANY people at the same time when it comes to multiplayer game. When you are failing to consider the "fun" and enjoyability of the game for everyone else, you are failing at the concept of "game".

But fine, sure, go ahead, leave the very topic you started yourself when others attempt to argue your point, label it as a potential "flame war" the moment anyone come with a strong opposing opinion.

Not leaving the topic.  Just not going to get into a shi-ite storm with you.

You disagree with what I said and it p1$$e$ you off. So what_  It doesn't change one thing from my perspective.  I've never played with or against you that I can recall. Yet you've decided to try and insult me by questioning my motives, knowledge, ability to empathize, etc.--"high horse", "flawed beliefs", crutches", throwing blame on others", "failing at concept of game", "fail to understand", "stubborn", "selfish", and so forth.  

When the discussion is civil and constructive I'll engage--I don't mind the debate.  In over 400 posts, until this moment I've never attacked anyone on the forums because they posted something i didn't agree with.  If I put something out there that is factually incorrect I don't have any problem with being called on it and I don't mind engaging others who may do so if the urge strikes me to do so.  However, I'm not going to argue about something that is highly subjective on my part and yours, and open to endless back and forth without anyone's mind being changed on the matter. I've never seen one of these kinds of back and forth change anyone's mind. All they do is escalate to more and harsher responses until someone shuts up or the topic is locked.

Feel however you want about what I said and respond as you see fit but I'm done on this particular thread with you.

#49 reVelske

reVelske

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • LocationJHB, SA

Posted April 04 2014 - 05:01 PM

Nobody is "attacking" you. Actually... you know, it makes sense now that I think about it. If you find a few "strong" words to be so offensive to a point where you are incapable of looking past them and actually debate the points brought up, no wonder you'd even make a topic such as this just because someone said some harsh words regarding your choice of playstyle on Siege.

Frankly, I think the issue here is that your definition of "civil" involves the environment being some kind of carebear's castle where everyone speak like that are speaking to a kindergarten kid. That, I'm afraid, is far too unrealistic an expectation, particularly on the internet.

Regardless, there's been three pages worth of arguments against what you believe is the way Siege should be played, that remains the core of the issue, the reason why people even lashed out at you. This isn't some kind of subjective matter, a bad tactic that fails to contribute to the objective isn't going to magically become good from some different subjective view. If you want to engage in "civil" and "constructive" discussion, keep arguing your point about your tactics being "sound" then_ Nobody is gonna say "you know what we need a lot in this game_ A bunch of angry people being angry.", but realize that your action triggered these responses, be them justified or not. If your playstyle doesn't win games and is pissing people off, perhaps you should honestly stick to other modes or reflect on your own playstyle.

Edited by reVelske, April 04 2014 - 05:30 PM.

#50 Bazookagofer

Bazookagofer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted April 04 2014 - 05:14 PM

*Grabs popcorn* Stuff is getting intense :D

#51 IronClamp

IronClamp

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • LocationIn Space's Solemn Silence

Posted April 04 2014 - 05:21 PM

As a sniper I agree, though too many snipers waste time in Siege picking off straying enemy mechs or laying fire to enemy snipers (I'm guilty of this), instead of helping the C classes hold down the AA by finishing off weak enemies as they run out of their range.

"Or maybe we'll just have to go through you"

#52 caduceus26

caduceus26

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts
  • LocationHere

Posted April 04 2014 - 05:56 PM

View PostBazookagofer, on April 04 2014 - 05:14 PM, said:

*Grabs popcorn* Stuff is getting intense :D

Eat fast!  That part of the show is over. :D

#53 talon70

talon70

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • LocationPhoenix

Posted April 05 2014 - 10:56 AM

I think the OP main point is to be cool to each other and let everyone play their own style of game.

I also realize there is a time it is better to shoot the enemy ship rather then capture the AA, but that should be removed imo. No ship shooting because it is just plain silly,

But really, get the AA, hold it, win the game. I will never understand who would rather camp somewhere and shoot the ship, Boring.

I sometime wish for a friendly fire toggle switch :)

#54 Benrefle

Benrefle

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted April 05 2014 - 09:10 PM

Well, I think shoot at the ship should be retained, as it give the team a last chance to win the match.

I once got into a match that the enemy team blasted our battleship out of the sky when their base had only 5hp left(WTF moment)(the aa was in our hand since the battleship launched),then launched their battleship, retake the aa, and blast away my base.

#55 Mawnkey

Mawnkey

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationDirectly Behind You

Posted April 12 2014 - 06:45 AM

If you join a PUG in an online game expecting good (or even just decent) teamwork, clearly you're unfamiliar with PUGs in online games...

#56 McMatt

McMatt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationStar Citizen

Posted April 17 2014 - 01:44 AM

Too bad that many players don't read forums. If they did, Siege would be more interesting to play. I'm not angry or upset when loosing vs better team. But it pushes my pressure up when most of my team is wondering around instead trying to protect/take over AA.

MSI Z87-G43 | i54670K@3400 | 8192 Mb DDR3 @ 1866Mhz | Gigabyte Nvidia GTX760 OC Windforce 3x rev2.0 2Gb |

SAMSUNG SyncMaster 2433BW 24" @ 1920 x 1200 | Windows 8.1 64 bit Pro | TM T.Flight Hotas X | TrackIR 5 Pro

#57 reVelske

reVelske

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • LocationJHB, SA

Posted April 17 2014 - 01:53 AM

The main issue is that people make no effort to communicate. I understand that communication and organization can be difficult in a big game with 10+ players on each team. But with 6 people_ There's no reason to avoid any form of communication whatsoever in this instance. As mentioned before, if you don't understand what you need to do. ASK. If you don't understand a particular instruction or don't particularly agree with it, ASK. Shutting up, ignoring rest of your team and stick to a tactic that's clearly doing absolutely no good for your team isn't going to help anyone.

Of course nobody step into the PUB team game and expect everyone to be on the ball with everything, but when it's a relatively small team, you'd at least expect people to be capable of communicating.

#58 kerberan

kerberan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted April 17 2014 - 02:47 AM

Two days ago I was playing in siege mode on Origin when I realized that the opponents had two Sharpshooters in their team and it was very difficult to attack or defend the AA while they were sniping us from the flanks. I saw that my teammates were also frustrated by this because they were shouting "damn snipers"  in the chat window.

I bet that we can argue indefinitely if Sharpshooters should snipe from afar or inside the AA, but this example shows that they can be valuable if they just do their job.

#59 reVelske

reVelske

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • LocationJHB, SA

Posted April 17 2014 - 04:15 AM

If it's from flank, you are more than in a position to deal with it. Besides, it's Origin, there are plenty of covers to duck and dive between at AA. This is the issue with stationary snipers, you can easily position yourself to a cover that's safe from snipers whilst still being able to defend AA, there are just certain position that a snipers cannot hit without overly expose themselves. Sure they can take a potshot or two to nail down a few armour when you stick your head out for whatever reason, but you can easily duck back and heal up. AAs are always won through pure brute force, the snipers may be able to wear some units down, but chances are they'll be more useful in the frontline with another mech.

And most snipers don't flank anyways, they rather snipe from spawn.

#60 IronClamp

IronClamp

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • LocationIn Space's Solemn Silence

Posted April 17 2014 - 07:04 AM

...(or SS specifically)...
Cackles as he gets into his Reaper...

And most snipers don't flank anyways, they rather snipe from spawn.
I'd like to take a moment to complain like a little child and say that not all snipers shoot from spawn.
When one nest has been compromised (I've been buzzed down like road kill by a sneaky, sneaky *and pissed* B-class), i like to change up, get close to the AA and hit from bellow or side.
I'm probably the only one.

AAs are always won through pure brute force, the snipers may be able to wear some units down, but chances are they'll be more useful in the frontline with another mech.
In response:

View PostIronClamp, on March 29 2014 - 01:05 PM, said:

Not everyone's a front-line smoking gun, some people just like stand on the back-lines to laugh at human pain, confusion and suffering.
And also, as a Ripper pilot, I've been able to hold down an AA while my team figures out another fuzzy bunny plan of attack to re-enforce it.

All in good fun Holmes :P

Edited by IronClamp, April 17 2014 - 07:15 AM.

"Or maybe we'll just have to go through you"

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users