HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Learn Tactics before badmouthingTeammates

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#61 kerberan

kerberan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted April 17 2014 - 10:30 PM

View PostreVelske, on April 17 2014 - 04:15 AM, said:

This is the issue with stationary snipers, you can easily position yourself to a cover that's safe from snipers whilst still being able to defend AA, there are just certain position that a snipers cannot hit without overly expose themselves.

I just imagined a picture where all defenders are lined up perfectly in that sweet spot where a sniper can't get them :lol:

What you are describing is a situation where there is only a sniper in a team. What about his teammates_ You have to come out to fight them eventually. And if there are 2 snipers well positioned you have no sweet spot because they will get you when you are trying to repair behind a pillar.

Another thing with snipers: they are not easy to kill unless you exit the AA area or get a sniper yourself.

And snipers don't need to be stationary, if they are good they will move around. Don't judge a mech only by bad pilots.

#62 reVelske

reVelske

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • LocationJHB, SA

Posted April 17 2014 - 10:45 PM

View Postkerberan, on April 17 2014 - 10:30 PM, said:

What you are describing is a situation where there is only a sniper in a team. What about his teammates_ You have to come out to fight them eventually. And if there are 2 snipers well positioned you have no sweet spot because they will get you when you are trying to repair behind a pillar.

I don't know what kind of Siege you play on, but there are always cover to duck behind on AA for every map I've played. Eco has the most exposed AA but all snipe spots are all very vulnerable to flanking and suppression. And I've covered "taking a few shots whilst sticking head out" part.

Sure it's difficult to kill a Sniper from AA on certain maps (bar Eco, double edged sword to having reasonably-easy-to-snipe AA), but nobody in their right mind would really give a damn about those snipers aside from suppression, simply because they offer 0 contribution to wrestling of AA control with their corner poking/trench warefare.

Take origin for example, sure there are some side snipe spots you can utilize to bypass a bit of the AA cover, but those are within good range of suppress fire, you take some hits, you duck back down to heal or find another spot. What do you achieve with that_ Nothing, just like a fat C-class playing corner poking from the front of AA.

Sure you don't have to be stationary, there have been several decent sniper players who knows how to handle firefights and actually gets onto AA to wrestle control or snipe FROM AA once gained control, but vast majority rather sit far away and snipe as if they are being helpful.

Edited by reVelske, April 17 2014 - 10:52 PM.

#63 IronClamp

IronClamp

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • LocationIn Space's Solemn Silence

Posted April 20 2014 - 12:57 PM

View PostreVelske, on April 17 2014 - 10:45 PM, said:

I don't know what kind of Siege you play on, but there are always cover to duck behind on AA for every map I've played. Eco has the most exposed AA but all snipe spots are all very vulnerable to flanking and suppression. And I've covered "taking a few shots whilst sticking head out" part.

Sure it's difficult to kill a Sniper from AA on certain maps (bar Eco, double edged sword to having reasonably-easy-to-snipe AA), but nobody in their right mind would really give a damn about those snipers aside from suppression, simply because they offer 0 contribution to wrestling of AA control with their corner poking/trench warefare.

Take origin for example, sure there are some side snipe spots you can utilize to bypass a bit of the AA cover, but those are within good range of suppress fire, you take some hits, you duck back down to heal or find another spot. What do you achieve with that_ Nothing, just like a fat C-class playing corner poking from the front of AA.

Sure you don't have to be stationary, there have been several decent sniper players who knows how to handle firefights and actually gets onto AA to wrestle control or snipe FROM AA once gained control, but vast majority rather sit far away and snipe as if they are being helpful.
Listen big guy, you just hate snipers, admit that and move on, don't harp about how much you fuzzy bunny hate snipers, and besides, as said above by kerberan, don't judge ANY Axe by it's noob pilot.

Quit your pissin' and move on!

On another note, wasn't this thread about tactics and getting them down before verbally attacking teammates_ If you guys want to argue over snipers, take it to a private chat. Or a completely different forum.

Edited by IronClamp, April 20 2014 - 12:59 PM.

"Or maybe we'll just have to go through you"

#64 reVelske

reVelske

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • LocationJHB, SA

Posted April 20 2014 - 03:07 PM

Eh, no. I play a Reaper. I don't hate "sniper" as a concept, I hate how MOST people utilize sniper on Siege, which happens to be completely counterproductive. This is about how people are fuzzy bunny terrible at siege, that includes: corner pokers, full HP ship shooters and spawn cliff camping snipers, none of which contributes to AA control in any way shape or form, these are the reason why people lose in Siege, if not completely one-sided curbstomp.

And did you not even read the opening post_ Did you not even follow the debate that took place_  How about actually reading through the thread rather then go "HERP DERP STOP HATIN ON SNIPER GAIZ PLEASE FOLLOW TOPIC".

Again, in case I haven't emphasized it enough, there most certainly are sniper players who understand how to play Siege and is capable of sniping FROM AA, bottlenecking enemies into chokepoints, or capable of directly exerting pressure from medium range in order to help take control of AA, unfortunately, the issue is that MOST sniper players don't play like that, most likely due to a fear of ruining their beautiful K/D.

Edited by reVelske, April 20 2014 - 03:15 PM.

#65 frederickthegreat

frederickthegreat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted April 20 2014 - 06:40 PM

"This at least is true.  Techs are just healers that can add a little bit of damage on top of their allies' DPS.  I see too many stupid battletechs."

WarlordZ

Battle-techs can be potent, in the hands of an elite player ONLY. (so not me)
Go away

#66 frederickthegreat

frederickthegreat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted April 20 2014 - 06:42 PM

View PostreVelske, on April 17 2014 - 10:45 PM, said:

I swear, wreckage has NO cover in the AA. you can get shot at from anywhere.
Go away

#67 reVelske

reVelske

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • LocationJHB, SA

Posted April 21 2014 - 01:53 AM

The two boxes in the center are essentially covers which are very easy to duck and dive between, there are 3 choke points where enemies would likely come from: the cliff, the tunnel and the main entrance, all of which are very easy to suppress, the most difficult place to deal with is the direction where EU is, which is quite ideal for any long ranged unit, but again, the AA boxes are good enough cover for that, and all the walkways available from that direction are quite narrow, making it difficult for anyone attacking from that direction to dodge anything. Best one can do is leap from the upper floor ramp but that's obviously a huge gamble.

Edited by reVelske, April 21 2014 - 01:54 AM.

#68 caduceus26

caduceus26

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts
  • LocationHere

Posted April 21 2014 - 05:00 PM

View PostIronClamp, on April 20 2014 - 12:57 PM, said:

... snip ...
On another note, wasn't this thread about tactics and getting them down before verbally attacking teammates_ ...

Thanks for "getting it."  I started the thread to address just what you indicated -- the ineffectiveness of verbal abuse of teammates because of not liking their tactical gameplay--which in turn is sometimes tied to the mech they are piloting rather than the strategic game objective.

The fact is that any mech not in the area of the "colored border" around the AA isn't counted toward AA control--be it turtled up class C's firing away from a safe distance outside the AA, lurking predators trying to stealth the enemy, base camping ship shooters, etc.  It's very interesting that although I cited examples of several different mechs (SS, Incinerator, Grenadier, Tech) in making my point the most vociferous pushback has been focused on the SS.
ASUS P9X79LE /i7-3820 3.6 (OC 4.7) /Corsair H80 Liquid CPU Cooling /16 Gb RAM /Dual-SLI EVGA 670 2 Gb Sig II /Antec 850 PSU /Antec 1200 Black Steel Tower
MaddMaxx (Zerker) / Silent Knight (Infil) / BurnYa (Scout) / Scythe (Reaper) / S0ckd0lag3r (Aslt) / PopOff (SS) / Bluto (Bruiser) / xXRoadRageXx (CR-T) / ShiftySwifty (Raider+G2) / PatchUp (Tech) / Krusher (Brawler) / Seekin' Ya'! (Rocketeer) / Doughboy (Vngrd) / FireFly (Incin)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users