HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

TOW is OP_

Community Game

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Hayseed

Hayseed

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted March 18 2014 - 03:38 PM

Is it just me or is the TOW launcher completely overpowered_ I just had a game of Siege were the entire enemy team had TOW's and we couldn't do anything and even got camped at our spawn. In my opinion, it travels way too fast and does too much damage, with not enough splash radius. I know a small damage radius sounds like a bad thing but a lot of people use it at almost point blank range and it doesn't do anything to them, increasing the blast radius will help this. The speed and damage basically makes it a rocket sniper rifle, which is ridiculous considering that we already have sniper mechs (sharpshooter, reaper, etc). It takes away from their role and essentially makes them useless. It even does more damage than the Sabot rifle ON TOP of having a faster fire rate and less heat generation! It is literately getting to the point where people ask "hey, is [insert mech name here] a good mech_ I just want to hear people's opinions before buying it."
"well, does it have TOW_"
"no"
"then its not good, dont buy it".
anyone else think this_

#2 Ker4u

Ker4u

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,341 posts
  • LocationLocation Location

Posted March 18 2014 - 03:48 PM

i agree that it's a bit strong now, could be reduced to 120dmg,  but most of your arguments are still wronk, its not a big deal, we got more important stuff to fix now

Edited by Ker4u, March 18 2014 - 03:53 PM.

- lok'tar ogar -

#3 Stingz

Stingz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted March 18 2014 - 04:05 PM

TOW and other secondaries could use some adjustment to be more equal (no-lock Hellfire accuracy, Corsair reload time).

TOW is only accurate up to mid range, after that it starts to spiral. If you want bigger splash then take a Grenade Launcher mech, TOW rockets really emphasize accuracy "...for Soldiers who have mastered the art of shooting at their targets instead of vaguely near them.".

If you think TOW rockets are bad in Siege you haven't faced off a good Grenadier or Rocketeer yet.

Edited by Stingz, March 18 2014 - 04:10 PM.

Running directly to/from sniper fire means you'll die tired. Taking cover gives (Ke-)Sabot time to reload.
Someone elses data of Hawken gear/mechs | and another one

#4 LoC_TR

LoC_TR

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted March 18 2014 - 05:45 PM

It's strong because it has faster CD than any other secondary, so you can just spam it. Most mechs that come with a TOW also have sustained weapons which are also really strong right now. Zerk is the is ridiculous because of the amount of damage it can avoid and dish out. For the most part the Assault is the same way and is obviously the strongest B mech. There would be a challenger [Raider] but it got nerf hammered.

Posted Image

vR-Gaming

Raider Vids>>>Twitch Youtube<<<Raider Vids 2500mmr

Fuzzy Bunny Stats

#5 DARC_SLENDER

DARC_SLENDER

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted March 19 2014 - 12:16 AM

I agree, as a Predator Pilot, I have an ongoing battle with TOW launchers.... Always.

And the T-32 Bolt needs a damage increase....

#6 Onstrava

Onstrava

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • LocationThe Abyss.

Posted March 19 2014 - 12:32 AM

I agree it's a does abit to much damage, if anything I would just increase it's cooldown rate since it can be shot like every 2 seconds. I always call it the carry missile. :lol:

Posted Image

#7 MechCraft

MechCraft

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted March 19 2014 - 04:07 AM

View PostStingz, on March 18 2014 - 04:05 PM, said:

TOW is only accurate up to mid range, after that it starts to spiral.

The spiraling is only a visual effect - the actual projectile travels and registers in a straight line. Tested this in-game just to be sure.

As it stands, the TOW's combination of strengths (fast projectile, fast reload, high damage) arguably make it the best secondary in the game. It's an incredibly reliable weapon and it hurts like hell. If anything, I would tune the damage back slightly and work from there.
Beware of ninjas.

#8 Stingz

Stingz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted March 19 2014 - 05:34 AM

View PostMechCraft, on March 19 2014 - 04:07 AM, said:

The spiraling is only a visual effect - the actual projectile travels and registers in a straight line. Tested this in-game just to be sure.

As it stands, the TOW's combination of strengths (fast projectile, fast reload, high damage) arguably make it the best secondary in the game. It's an incredibly reliable weapon and it hurts like hell. If anything, I would tune the damage back slightly and work from there.

Others have already noticed that the TOW has a faster reload time than the Grenade Launcher, 2.25 sec/TOW vs 2.5 sec/GL.
If anything that should be the first change.

Damage is fine, same as GL but has less splash for a faster projectile: "...for Soldiers who have mastered the art of shooting at their targets instead of vaguely near them."

Edited by Stingz, March 19 2014 - 07:57 AM.

Running directly to/from sniper fire means you'll die tired. Taking cover gives (Ke-)Sabot time to reload.
Someone elses data of Hawken gear/mechs | and another one

#9 HF333

HF333

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted March 19 2014 - 07:28 AM

View PostHayseed, on March 18 2014 - 03:38 PM, said:

In my opinion, it travels way too fast and does too much damage, with not enough splash radius.
That's kind of the point. A TOW missile is meant to smack into its target, not near it.  Missing with on in close quarters can seriously mess you up.

#10 OmegaNull

OmegaNull

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Location2300-2400 Pilot Camp

Posted March 19 2014 - 10:45 AM

The TOW use to be a little more of a pain in the ass because of its splash damage. Though right now, I feel it is fine where it is.

Scootin' and Shootin | Ballin' and Brawlin' | Ragin' and Raidin'

Posted Image

I am Omega Null. The abyss is my home and your last frontier. Welcome to my lair and become my Prey. As I track your scent through this nether,

my mouth begins to water. Your Demise will be quick and wretched.

Enjoy your Pain and Suffering as I tear Limb from Limb. Prepare to meet your Final End.

Member of Violent Resolution

#11 mittens800

mittens800

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted March 19 2014 - 01:49 PM

I see we are on schedule here, next up: "AR is OP", to be followed in the next weeks by "GL is OP" and "Sabot is OP".
In case you thought we forgot, we haven't! "Wall is OP" will be slipped in at some point.

And don't worry, "Scout is OP" "Air Compressor OP" "Zerk OP" and "Assault is OP" will be kept in constant rotation.

Edited by mittens800, March 19 2014 - 01:50 PM.

#12 PhasmaFelis

PhasmaFelis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted March 19 2014 - 03:05 PM

View Postmittens800, on March 19 2014 - 01:49 PM, said:

In case you thought we forgot, we haven't! "Wall is OP" will be slipped in at some point.
FLOOR IS OP

#13 SirCharlesNorris

SirCharlesNorris

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted March 19 2014 - 03:45 PM

I love lamp lamp is hella OP

#14 Hayseed

Hayseed

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted March 19 2014 - 06:50 PM

View PostKer4u, on March 18 2014 - 03:48 PM, said:

i agree that it's a bit strong now, could be reduced to 120dmg,  but most of your arguments are still wronk, its not a big deal, we got more important stuff to fix now
I'm not sure what else they have to necessarily fix but understand that Im not saying that EVERY aspect should be nerfed, just a few key points, most importantly the firing speed/heat generation. (they offset eachother, for instance, if a weapon has high heat generation and a high fire rate, then a player will try to avoid using it for fear of over heating).

#15 Hayseed

Hayseed

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted March 20 2014 - 08:01 PM

View Postmittens800, on March 19 2014 - 01:49 PM, said:

I see we are on schedule here, next up: "AR is OP", to be followed in the next weeks by "GL is OP" and "Sabot is OP".

And don't worry, "Scout is OP" "Air Compressor OP" "Zerk OP" and "Assault is OP" will be kept in constant rotation.
Look. The point of this forum is to discuss the power of the TOW and how to properly scale it back. Dont throw a fuzzy bunny fit because we just happen to be talking about that weapon that get you your 13 and 0 K/D.

#16 Phantasmo

Phantasmo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted March 22 2014 - 07:53 AM

The problem is not TOW, the problem is having a TOW or TOW-damage weapons on uber fast mechs that give you no chance to riposte.
This is where Hawken gets awkward. Light mechs shouldn't have such powerful weapons.
Light mechs should play harassing, scouting etc. Not burst assasination.

#17 Nosmer

Nosmer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted March 22 2014 - 08:02 AM

TOW probably is the most versatile secondary in the game, that's all.

#18 Phantasmo

Phantasmo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted March 22 2014 - 08:37 AM

View PostNosmer, on March 22 2014 - 08:02 AM, said:

TOW probably is the most versatile secondary in the game, that's all.

For balance's sake, normally versatile weapons are not as good as dedicated weapons.
No secondary beats a TOW direct hit.

#19 XyXly

XyXly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted March 22 2014 - 09:52 AM

View PostHayseed, on March 18 2014 - 03:38 PM, said:

Is it just me
yes, it is

#20 Kopra

Kopra

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • LocationTurku, Finland

Posted March 22 2014 - 01:01 PM

Before the Steam patch, I think the TOW was in a nice place. It was the most versatile secondary, but it was outshone by others in specific areas. Now it's still the most versatile secondary, and if not the best, great at most things.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Community, Game

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users