HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Detonator or HE or neither_

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 Zycat

Zycat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted March 24 2014 - 08:19 PM

Hi, what do you prefer, Detonator or HE or neither and why_

Is there any reason to bring them at all_ Or are they overshadowed by repair kits and turrets_ I don't find them doing enough damage sometimes, and HE is hard to hit with.

#2 TheVulong

TheVulong

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,797 posts
  • LocationRussia

Posted March 24 2014 - 08:25 PM

Detonator is still superior to HE in almost any circumstance but i personally prefer neither of them because if i use one for too long i end up relying on it too much and making silly mistakes as a result.

Edited by TheVulong, March 24 2014 - 08:25 PM.

Posted Image

#3 FakeName

FakeName

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,927 posts
  • LocationIn the cockpit of my Succubus

Posted March 24 2014 - 11:29 PM

Neither of them, damage of both are too low and are not worth buying.

I suggest EMP or tactical items like scarmbler, scanner, etc.

I myself use 2 scanners and 2 heal charges in combination with repair kit MK III almost on every mech.

Scanner because I can see the enemy and welcoem them with a grenade if tehy want to chase me and to shoot my grenades around corners better.

"Things change ... thank god, otherwise we would still hunt animals to survive and forge weapons of stone."

- FakeName

Posted Image

#4 Ker4u

Ker4u

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,341 posts
  • LocationLocation Location

Posted March 24 2014 - 11:30 PM

Detonator Mk3

- lok'tar ogar -

#5 LeeHarveyOz

LeeHarveyOz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted March 25 2014 - 04:51 AM

View PostFakeName, on March 24 2014 - 11:29 PM, said:

Neither of them, damage of both are too low and are not worth buying.

I suggest EMP or tactical items like scarmbler, scanner, etc.

This.

#6 mittens800

mittens800

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted March 25 2014 - 02:21 PM

Depends on your play style.  I keep wanting to buy scanner but can't give up my slots for Detonator and Heal charges...
Detonator when it hits is like a free tow hit... so it's pretty useful I'd say.  Especially if you zoom by and hit a C with it.

#7 Sadistic_Dentist

Sadistic_Dentist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationPoland/Polska

Posted April 22 2014 - 04:07 AM

Well, there was one time I killed an enemy and saved myself with a detonator... But there were several times I did it with HE... They are both good.
WoT: P2W, NEVER MOOOOREEEE!!!
WT: Nice game, tanks finally implemented!
MWO: P2W, movement is fuzzybunnied up
HAWKEN: Great game, but crashes sometimes

#8 Meraple

Meraple

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted April 22 2014 - 06:03 AM

Personally I prefer Detonator for ease of use, and AOE.
It does help in 1v1's, so yeah, it's expensive, but it helps.

Posted Image

Spoiler

#9 Zazaku

Zazaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted April 22 2014 - 07:33 AM

It ultimately depends on play style.  With my A mechs I'll usually run with det + repair charges if I'm planning on trying to severely cripple folks at the start of engagements, switching det for HE on more confined maps or emp when I'm in a lobby that wont let be cheeky with my alpha strikes.

#10 mekard

mekard

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted April 22 2014 - 08:01 AM

I carry a det MKII for those rare occasions when an alpha strike is possible, every bit of damage helps.

#11 AboveTheSky

AboveTheSky

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationPredator Pilot of prosk army

Posted April 22 2014 - 09:04 AM

i use both and detonator and he charge

lol

Posted Image

#12 IareDave

IareDave

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted April 22 2014 - 10:05 AM

det mk3 on all of my A/B classes.

#13 TTU_Phoenix

TTU_Phoenix

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted April 23 2014 - 05:16 PM

Depends on what I'm building a mech for, though I have a tendency to carry whatever item the mech comes with free (I usually use 2 Mk. II items).  On my Berserker, Assault, and CR-T the HE Charge is sometimes useful, but not a huge deal.  I tried out the Detonator on the Reaper and I liked it, so I might go with it more in the future.

#14 EliteZeon

EliteZeon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationZeon Frontlines

Posted April 24 2014 - 07:45 AM

Depends on if it comes on my mech for free or not... I'm a cheapass.

In anycase, my Raider runs EMP MK3 with a Detonator, though that item patch awhile back kinda killed my utility with that just a little since the Detonator's damage got nerfed (I think_) and the EMP went from a straight easy to use Pokeball to frantically trying to play Beyblade with my nephew. (Eh I just need to practice with the new EMP more)

Also most of my Mechs come with a Scanner, I think it was because I got my Scout to level 6 or something around Ascension or so.

So basically I run defaults with a Scanner. The Scanner definately makes life easier by a hair.

#15 N0stalgia

N0stalgia

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 570 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, California

Posted April 24 2014 - 08:41 AM

This topic needs context. Different sets for different mechs.

Detonator is easier to hit with, but doesn't really do a lot of damage. I still haven't figured out when to use the HE charge save for an alpha strike. There are more useful items out there, but they are not offensive items.
Call me Nos.

#16 caduceus26

caduceus26

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts
  • LocationHere

Posted April 24 2014 - 10:40 PM

Det MKIII for Offense coupled with EMP for defense when I get in trouble.
ASUS P9X79LE /i7-3820 3.6 (OC 4.7) /Corsair H80 Liquid CPU Cooling /16 Gb RAM /Dual-SLI EVGA 670 2 Gb Sig II /Antec 850 PSU /Antec 1200 Black Steel Tower
MaddMaxx (Zerker) / Silent Knight (Infil) / BurnYa (Scout) / Scythe (Reaper) / S0ckd0lag3r (Aslt) / PopOff (SS) / Bluto (Bruiser) / xXRoadRageXx (CR-T) / ShiftySwifty (Raider+G2) / PatchUp (Tech) / Krusher (Brawler) / Seekin' Ya'! (Rocketeer) / Doughboy (Vngrd) / FireFly (Incin)

#17 Kopra

Kopra

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • LocationTurku, Finland

Posted April 25 2014 - 06:21 PM

Detonator has an added utility, which is a very strong knockback. You can force enemies to land and when they hit the ground, they're still for a fraction of a second, which is enough to fire your secondary of choice perfectly.

#18 Amisto

Amisto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted April 29 2014 - 10:49 AM

Always take the max repair charge , then whatever else you want with that.  Scrambler or radar.  Might try running blockade just to have some portable cover.

#19 SectionZ

SectionZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • LocationA-Town

Posted April 29 2014 - 02:05 PM

Detonator if you are an Assault G2 so people call you a hacker for "Using a TOW".  More seriously, If you have your heart set on an explosion item then I would say it is down to if you want something easier to hit with (Detonator), or something that is a glorified grenade but oh so satisfying when you nail somebody in the face with it (HE).

Honestly though, I'm too much of a cheapskate to really buy Item parts.  While I think the grind for Mechs and internals is perfectly fine to generous (Across several mechs rank 5 has netted me roughly 14-15k HC, Rank 6 18-19k total), the cost of GUNS and ITEMS is pretty bonkers.  It costs as much or more than buying an entirely new Mech to fill out all 6 of your Item slots, even if you include the 1 slot freebie that came with the mech.

Over 6K for the MK III versions of the more popular items like MG turret or EMP, for example.

EDIT: A more nebulous shopping tip, is to take a close, HONEST look at how long you go between deaths on average on a given mech.  There is a cooldown between reusing an item (I wish it said what it was in the store for each item), so a MKIII's three uses can end up a waste of HC if you do not live long enough to use all three shots, shields, turrets, whatever.

Edited by SectionZ, April 29 2014 - 02:08 PM.

#20 Mawnkey

Mawnkey

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationDirectly Behind You

Posted April 30 2014 - 02:19 AM

I play my Assault full out offensively, looking to lay as much damage on as rapidly as possible. I keep it outfitted with MKII Det and HE most of the time. I'm debating shifting to something else like EMP, but honestly being able to lay a pile of alpha on is kinda nice. Gotta remember to use them aggressively though, otherwise they sit in your inventory and don't do you any good...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users