HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Detonator or HE or neither_

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#41 IronClamp

IronClamp

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • LocationIn Space's Solemn Silence

Posted June 26 2014 - 03:00 PM

View PostFakeName, on March 24 2014 - 11:29 PM, said:

Neither of them, damage of both are too low and are not worth buying.

Your fuzzy bunny kitten me.... I've made people retreat because I threw a Detonator in their face (and also scared the fuzzy bunny out of them when they take it full on from behind).

Detonator Effect by class (IMO):
- A-class: If you get them good, their doomed (a rare occurrence).
- B-class: You've removed enough health to make them panic (or think twice), especially under heavy fire.
- C-class: Don't bother unless it's really important you take them out.

"Or maybe we'll just have to go through you"

#42 FakeName

FakeName

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,927 posts
  • LocationIn the cockpit of my Succubus

Posted June 26 2014 - 09:05 PM

I prefare tatical items sich as scramblers scanners blockades emps etc.

Raw damage is good for alpha strikes but you simply can't onehit an A class so it does not make a difference.

Tatical items are way better. Example: emp
With an emp you can disable multiple targets from firing enabling you to deal a massive amount of damage (let's say around 500 HP +- 200). Tje det or he charge deals only around 60 depending if you hit them properly.

Or the blockade. I love it to place it in an open area against assaults to give me cover and play the peek-a-boo and hit-and-run strategy.
This often rescues me from this noobish permafire of the sustained fire weapons.

The det or he charge would give nothing, I would have lost the battle anyways.

"Things change ... thank god, otherwise we would still hunt animals to survive and forge weapons of stone."

- FakeName

Posted Image

#43 T_Bird

T_Bird

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted June 27 2014 - 07:14 AM

View PostSkrill, on June 17 2014 - 02:39 PM, said:

Always buy tactical.
Scanner = wallhacks
Emp = enemy team shutdown button (just throw it at a group and someone will hit it )
Repair kit = jumbo sized health orb
Scrambler = severely limits the opponents radar by causing a ton of false positives

The small increase in damage gained by carrying a Det or HE is overshadowed by almost every other item.

Agree, but for stealth mechs a detonator is nice to boost your surprice alpha strike. But that is very situational.

#44 Kopra

Kopra

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • LocationTurku, Finland

Posted June 27 2014 - 08:16 AM

View PostKopra, on April 25 2014 - 06:21 PM, said:

Detonator has an added utility, which is a very strong knockback. You can force enemies to land and when they hit the ground, they're still for a fraction of a second, which is enough to fire your secondary of choice perfectly.

To add to this, this doesn't work always. If the enemy presses spacebar during the blast or during the fall, or dodges in the air, the knockback effect is null. If you can pull it off, you can score an extra 100 dmg or so in fall damage on top of normal Detonator damage. It's somewhat reliable when the opponent is not aware of you, like when chasing another target down the pit in Origin so the sudden increase in fall speed comes as a surprise.

#45 Ker4u

Ker4u

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,341 posts
  • LocationLocation Location

Posted June 27 2014 - 08:28 AM

View PostKopra, on June 27 2014 - 08:16 AM, said:

Detonator has an added utility, which is a very strong knockback. You can force enemies to land and when they hit the ground, they're still for a fraction of a second, which is enough to fire your secondary of choice perfectly.

To add to this, this doesn't work always. If the enemy presses spacebar during the blast or during the fall, or dodges in the air, the knockback effect is null. If you can pull it off, you can score an extra 100 dmg or so in fall damage on top of normal Detonator damage. It's somewhat reliable when the opponent is not aware of you, like when chasing another target down the pit in Origin so the sudden increase in fall speed comes as a surprise.
are you sure HE doesn't have same effect_
i also knok people from air with mirv quite often

- lok'tar ogar -

#46 Kopra

Kopra

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • LocationTurku, Finland

Posted June 27 2014 - 08:39 AM

View PostKer4u, on June 27 2014 - 08:28 AM, said:

View PostKopra, on June 27 2014 - 08:16 AM, said:

are you sure HE doesn't have same effect_
i also knok people from air with mirv quite often

I tried with HE and didn't get the same results, so if it has knockback it's negligible.

Edit: Scratch that! It has knockback as well. :)

Edited by Kopra, June 27 2014 - 08:44 AM.

#47 Ker4u

Ker4u

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,341 posts
  • LocationLocation Location

Posted June 27 2014 - 12:55 PM

View PostKopra, on June 27 2014 - 08:39 AM, said:

Edit: Scratch that! It has knockback as well. :)
tried to test this knockdown with mirv and didn't get when or how it exactly works

- lok'tar ogar -

#48 Rainbow_Sheep

Rainbow_Sheep

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted July 04 2014 - 02:51 AM

I would say detonator, it only does 5 less damage than the HE and has a great splash radius. I use the Det on classes that aren't good at CQC (Rocketeer etc) or The infiltrator/predator that can use it for extra surprise strikes.

#49 marshrover

marshrover

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted July 20 2014 - 12:27 AM

If i get surprized while at low HP I turn around and give my enemy a detonator to the face as a farewell gift. When I respawn an assist usually shows up on my screen.
*Health critical*
*Initiate contingency plan GTFO*
*Blitz active*

#50 Source_Mystic

Source_Mystic

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted October 16 2014 - 12:44 PM

I do inturnals and items different for each mech  I build. Personaly  I never used ac as  I find the waste of fule and added air time derretmental to my health . Stay on the ground you will stay alive longer. The only mech  I would think about putting ac on is zerker and that is becaues it has the best air speed in the game.  Putting ac on a scout seems counter productive becaues it is a brick in the air. I tend to  focus on a mecks strenth and maxmise  that. Speed inturnals on a scout work out nice. Have not played infiltrator much but because of the speed bonus  when cloked I would put a power surger kill a mech get the 25 % bonus, cloke .Move to the next mech.   Also what kind if infultrater you  you using weapon set up I mean. Ac on pred he is a brick in the air  an if you use eoc repeater jump, burst, drop works good for me.

Edited by Source_Mystic, October 16 2014 - 03:38 PM.

#51 Source_Mystic

Source_Mystic

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted October 16 2014 - 03:37 PM

Emp for life,  Shuts down incineraters ... for like  6 seconds  and in a pinch they can buy you some time to ether run or atack with impunity .

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users