HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Detonator or HE or neither_

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#21 SoldierHobbes11

SoldierHobbes11

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted April 30 2014 - 03:37 PM

I personally don't use items to boost my offensive capability. After all, it only works a limited amount of times and I don't want my fighting ability to have to depend on something like that. I tend to only use items to enhance survival or escape when I end up in a bad situation.
Need help with Hawken_ Click here for my Handy Hawken Handbook!

#22 Lightangel112

Lightangel112

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted May 01 2014 - 02:38 AM

If you wanted this tactic is perfectly valid.

Repair to full, fully dmg yourself, you get a death via pilot error but get your items back scott free.

Edited by Lightangel112, May 01 2014 - 02:39 AM.

View PostMeraple, on June 01 2014 - 11:54 AM, said:

If you want to be a Professional Yolodriver just go with DETs and the rest EMPs.

#23 Meraple

Meraple

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted May 01 2014 - 08:49 AM

View PostLightangel112, on May 01 2014 - 02:38 AM, said:

If you wanted this tactic is perfectly valid.

Repair to full, fully dmg yourself, you get a death via pilot error but get your items back scott free.

oh nu my kdr is fokked up halp

Posted Image

Spoiler

#24 MomOw

MomOw

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted May 01 2014 - 11:48 PM

Even though I use them, I don't like damage dealing items. BTW EMP is better for both offense and defense.
Posted Image

#25 XPloyt

XPloyt

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted May 05 2014 - 01:44 AM

If you don't have at least 2 shields equipped on an A or B mech, you're missing out, as it can be used for cover for you or a teammate, creating or closing gaps, causing enemy to do self-damage, or all at the same time.

The detonator seems to pair best with the Infiltrator, which is probably why I've never decided to get rid of it. In most cases it's like small padding to put you back in the fight, because you're vulnerable waiting for your secondary to reload.

#26 SatelliteJack

SatelliteJack

Spaceman

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 415 posts
  • LocationDropped on Illal

Posted May 06 2014 - 08:37 PM

Nine out of ten posts are probably going to have "it depends" somewhere in them, including this one. It really does depend on what mech you play, and how you play it. For me, I love the Reaper, and the Det is an excellent "OMG WHERE DID YOU COME FROM PANIC BUTTON" attack. Conversely, the HE is a great thing to throw into a fight to spread the damage on a cluster of targets. Items are best used as a last resort/tactical effort, not so much as a part of of your regular playstyle.

Posted Image

To be chill, drink warm tea. You paradoxical madman. -TwentyFirstPilot

#27 Abanomex

Abanomex

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted May 08 2014 - 07:16 AM

I run an assault G2 with DET-III,  a vanguard with DET-II, and a reaper with DET-II, it depends on the playstyle,  it really helps, even if it doesnt make a lot of damage, it has saved me countless times when i was overheated, it is easy to hit with, and also it makes a huge fire screen that covers their vision for a second, enough to disorient the use of a secondary from the enemy.

#28 Call_Me_Ishmael

Call_Me_Ishmael

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 399 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas, baby.

Posted May 11 2014 - 11:40 AM

I get a kick out of watching dets wipe out repairing mechs on Origin, during Siege, as I do one of my rare launch-pad-to-top-of-AA assaults on the enemy holding the top.

That's about the only time I really use it - I used to depend on it and do dumb things as a result, as was posted upthread.
Posted Image

#29 ASneakyFox

ASneakyFox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted May 15 2014 - 09:35 AM

he charge can do more damage but its a little harder to use, detonator is a little easier to use (especially if hovering) but does less damage. they both perform the same sort of function. you can use them to turn the tides of a 1v1 battle. it wont wreck the other mech but it does just enough damage to make sure they go down first.

other items can provide more unique advantages. for instance instead of hitting your opponent with a detonator you hit them with an ism disruptor. now theyre blind and cant shoot back, and if its a team fight you might be able to ring multiple mechs with that one frisbee.

i typically bring he/det on my burst damage mechs to have an even higher burst potential, and use various other items on my sustained combat mechs.

Edited by ASneakyFox, May 15 2014 - 09:36 AM.

#30 flipperj21

flipperj21

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted May 22 2014 - 12:16 PM

well... good place to learn something about items as a newbie!
Who wouldn't like more meteor credits_ http://hawkenpromo.blogspot.com

#31 DiesInMud

DiesInMud

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Locationat the cookie jar

Posted May 31 2014 - 07:54 AM

View PostASneakyFox, on May 15 2014 - 09:35 AM, said:

you hit them with an ism disruptor. now theyre blind and cant shoot back

As for that, I don't think you're unable to shoot. You're only blind. (Which is quite effective on its own, of course.)
But whenever I get hit by an ISM-Disruptor I just keep shooting.

Well, I think what SatelliteJack said is probably going to be for me. Just started playing Sharpshooter and I often feel the urge to fire an explosive into the face of some scout or infiltrator that just showed up behind me. Them sneaky little bastards! :)

And as I haven't played it yet, can someone tell me whether H.E.-Charge does behave like an ordinary grenade or differently_
Thinking about getting a Det for the Sharpshooter ...

View PostDr_Freeze001 said:

[...] the best way to survive is not get shot, and you make them not shoot you by shooting them first.

#32 Goyo

Goyo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted May 31 2014 - 02:58 PM

I prefer HE.  It behaves a little differently than it used to in that you cannot charge it for increased velocity and a more flat trajectory.  It does behave exactly like a grenade.  You can even detonate it midair by pressing your use item button a second time.  HE charges are wonky to use on a lot of maps because of uneven floor geometry (origin) and you are liable to get bouncebacks and damage yourself,  but I like them.  Have em on all my mechs.

I get that warm fuzzy feeling if I get a midair kill with an HE charge.  Dunno why, small victories I guess.

Edit: Death messages used to be more interesting when it displayed what weapon killed you.  Stuff like midair Heat, EOC and HE charge kills seemed like exclamation points.

Edited by Goyo, May 31 2014 - 03:07 PM.

#33 TwentyFirstPilot

TwentyFirstPilot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 963 posts
  • LocationCanterstomp, Mechquestria

Posted June 04 2014 - 08:37 AM

View PostGoyo, on May 31 2014 - 02:58 PM, said:

Edit: Death messages used to be more interesting when it displayed what weapon killed you.  Stuff like midair Heat, EOC and HE charge kills seemed like exclamation points.

What do you mean by that_ I'm pretty sure they still do on the killfeed and on the deathcam.

Aspiring Professional Yolodriver

View PostAmidatelion, on May 24 2014 - 01:36 AM, said:

Yeah, but dude, we are at 1750. As much as we would like to be Professional Yolodrivers like you [Meraple] and Lightangel112, we're not there yet. It's something to aspire to, sure, but there's a lot of ground to cover.

View PostEliteShooter, on September 20 2014 - 08:51 PM, said:

I eat cats too. Does that interest you_

#34 EliteShooter

EliteShooter

Mr Splash Man

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,888 posts
  • LocationTunisia

Posted June 06 2014 - 12:19 PM

EMPPPPP

Posted Image

#35 EM1O

EM1O

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationNahfeck, V'jainya

Posted June 08 2014 - 09:01 PM

Mk3 Det + Mk1 emp (or vice versa, depending on the mech), usually only on A-class as in "WTFwasThat__" then a ticktockticktockBOOm from a RPR-Reaper....good for burst damage/Alpha killthrills, or guaranteed boogering a DeathBall clogging up the AA.
:)

Edited by EM1O, June 08 2014 - 09:14 PM.

Lingua-indigenae  *=0=*  Clans & Guilds  *=||=*  Which Mech_  *=X=*  GPU Test  *=W=*  CPU Test  *=O=*  Dementia

Posted Image

#36 Kopra

Kopra

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • LocationTurku, Finland

Posted June 15 2014 - 02:48 PM

Posted Image

#37 MushyMoosh

MushyMoosh

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted June 15 2014 - 08:07 PM

Detonator is really overrated. I've used it in clutch moments (5 seconds left and scoring a triple kill with det+tow). The surprise factor is also underrated; the huge explosion usually clouds their vision and startles them causing them to miss. I've turned around 10% vs 100% hp enemies using it.
Posted Image

#38 Moreapples

Moreapples

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • LocationHilversum

Posted June 16 2014 - 09:44 AM

View PostMushyMoosh, on June 15 2014 - 08:07 PM, said:

Detonator is really overrated. I've used it in clutch moments (5 seconds left and scoring a triple kill with det+tow). The surprise factor is also underrated; the huge explosion usually clouds their vision and startles them causing them to miss. I've turned around 10% vs 100% hp enemies using it.

against scrubs_
ok

Posted Image

#39 MushyMoosh

MushyMoosh

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted June 17 2014 - 07:17 AM

View PostMoreapples, on June 16 2014 - 09:44 AM, said:

View PostMushyMoosh, on June 15 2014 - 08:07 PM, said:

against scrubs_
ok

2200+ rooms
Posted Image

#40 Skrill

Skrill

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 656 posts
  • LocationSkrillville, CA

Posted June 17 2014 - 02:39 PM

Always buy tactical.
Scanner = wallhacks
Emp = enemy team shutdown button (just throw it at a group and someone will hit it )
Repair kit = jumbo sized health orb
Scrambler = severely limits the opponents radar by causing a ton of false positives

The small increase in damage gained by carrying a Det or HE is overshadowed by almost every other item.
Posted Image

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on July 08 2014 - 03:49 PM, said:

You're exactly right.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users