HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

DOUBLE-TAP TO BOOST/DODGE

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

Poll: DOUBLE-TAP TO BOOST/DODGE (77 member(s) have cast votes)

How have you set up the double-tap feature_

1. ACTIVE (17 votes [22.08%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 22.08%

2. INACTIVE (60 votes [77.92%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 77.92%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 DEATHL0K

DEATHL0K

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted March 25 2014 - 08:10 AM

Very curious as to how all the pro gamers around here roll.

Edited by DEATHL0K, March 25 2014 - 08:21 AM.

#2 nokari

nokari

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted March 25 2014 - 10:22 AM

The choices in this poll are confusing. It would make more sense to ask if people use Shift or Double-Tap.

Posted Image

#3 McBonY

McBonY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted March 25 2014 - 11:25 AM

I'd love to have an option to boost forward with Shift, and dodge with double tap, while also having that damn 180 rotation on a complete separated button.

Actually no, shift dodging is fine, that 180 turn is what bothers me ;] Could i get a separate key for it, pretty please.

#4 DEATHL0K

DEATHL0K

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted March 25 2014 - 12:03 PM

View Postnokari, on March 25 2014 - 10:22 AM, said:

The choices in this poll are confusing. It would make more sense to ask if people use Shift or Double-Tap.

I'm just quoting the in-game settings, not what some players wish the game had.

#5 LeeHarveyOz

LeeHarveyOz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted March 26 2014 - 03:54 AM

Urgh no. Too easy to mis-step. Shift key ftw

#6 dEd101

dEd101

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted March 26 2014 - 04:15 AM

I'm a shift man myself.
General tips and tricks: https://community.pl...-tricks-thread/
Wolfyftw videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/wolfyFTW (click on the 'Mindgamer' episodes)
Promo Codes (free money): https://community.pl...90-promo-codes/
Stats (all credit to AsianJoyKiller and the other contributors): https://docs.google....lrQjM5Tmc#gid=0 (don't forget to scroll right)

#7 TheDoc13

TheDoc13

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted March 26 2014 - 04:50 AM

View PostMcBonY, on March 25 2014 - 11:25 AM, said:

I'd love to have an option to boost forward with Shift, and dodge with double tap, while also having that damn 180 rotation on a complete separated button.

Actually no, shift dodging is fine, that 180 turn is what bothers me ;] Could i get a separate key for it, pretty please.

Taken from https://community.pl...vs/#entry373070 :

Search for GBA_Backward in HawkenInput.ini file and you should find lines that start with:
Bindings=(Name="S",Command="GBA_Backward" .....

Make sure this line has bIgnoreShift=True, if its missing add it like:
Bindings=(Name="S",Command="GBA_Backward",bIgnoreShift=True)

if it is set to False make it True.

Now create a copy of this line right there and replace "S" with "X" and replace Command with  "GBA_Boost | GBA_Backward". This will bind X to quick 180 without shift. Make sure there are no other lines that start with:
Bindings=(Name="X"... within the config section.

You can also bind left and right dodges like this to individual keys if you want to.

#8 Null_Wing

Null_Wing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 337 posts
  • LocationThe Zone, Harmont

Posted March 27 2014 - 04:53 AM

View PostTheDoc13, on March 26 2014 - 04:50 AM, said:

Taken from https://community.pl...vs/#entry373070 :

Search for GBA_Backward in HawkenInput.ini file and you should find lines that start with:
Bindings=(Name="S",Command="GBA_Backward" .....

Make sure this line has bIgnoreShift=True, if its missing add it like:
Bindings=(Name="S",Command="GBA_Backward",bIgnoreShift=True)

if it is set to False make it True.

Now create a copy of this line right there and replace "S" with "X" and replace Command with  "GBA_Boost | GBA_Backward". This will bind X to quick 180 without shift. Make sure there are no other lines that start with:
Bindings=(Name="X"... within the config section.

You can also bind left and right dodges like this to individual keys if you want to.
Hopefully this config in the ini doesn't get locked out like some others, and we end up stuck with a UI that's missing features we could get with the ini.

Professional Freelance Bum
When The Subject Of Spam Is Broached, Our Sparing Human Intellects Instantly Assume The Most Ingratiating Form Of Anger Imaginable. (and we tend to start our own spam for fun after that)

#9 LarryLaffer

LarryLaffer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 639 posts
  • LocationRussia, Chelyabinsk (GMT +5)

Posted March 27 2014 - 05:21 AM

I don't like double-tapping since UT series, because there is the possibility to do unintentional dodge. So I prefer to use Shift
WolfyFTW's Mindgamer: Hawken videos - the best combat tutorial ever!
Throw away Air Compressor! Be a man!.

#10 Blentech_Blender

Blentech_Blender

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationCentre du Québec

Posted March 27 2014 - 06:35 AM

5 button mouse here. So I bind the "shift" to one of my thumb button. A lot easier that way for me.
It's Hawken smoke don't breathe this.

#11 TheFrostnessMonster

TheFrostnessMonster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted March 27 2014 - 06:51 AM

I just uses "E" as my boost and dodge button, so i can react quickly. Besides, Shift is my TS3 bush-to-talk button :)

#12 Kaboodles

Kaboodles

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted March 27 2014 - 07:30 AM

I use double-tap because I played a lot of UT2k4 back in the day.  It has screwed me over a couple of times though, so I'll probably try to incorporate Shift a little more in the future.

Also, poll needs a "both" option.

#13 shosca

shosca

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 733 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted March 27 2014 - 08:12 AM

What if i told you that there is a way to bind boost/dodge actions to single press single keys_ :)

Bindings=(Name="<replace with forward boost key>",Command="Button bRun | StartBoost | GBA_MoveForward | OnRelease EndBoost",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False,bIgnoreCtrl=False,bIgnoreShift=False,bIgnoreAlt=False)
Bindings=(Name="<replace with left dodge key>",Command="Button bRun | StartBoost | GBA_StrafeLeft | OnRelease EndBoost",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False,bIgnoreCtrl=False,bIgnoreShift=False,bIgnoreAlt=False)
Bindings=(Name="<replace with right dodge key>",Command="Button bRun | StartBoost | GBA_StrafeRight | OnRelease EndBoost",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False,bIgnoreCtrl=False,bIgnoreShift=False,bIgnoreAlt=False)

Add these to the [HawkenGame.R_PlayerInput] section in HawkenInput.ini file.

Edited by shosca, March 27 2014 - 08:18 AM.

#14 Eliziel

Eliziel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted March 28 2014 - 12:34 AM

YES!!!!!!!

#15 LeeHarveyOz

LeeHarveyOz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted July 26 2014 - 04:09 PM

View PostBlentech_Blender, on March 27 2014 - 06:35 AM, said:

5 button mouse here. So I bind the "shift" to one of my thumb button. A lot easier that way for me.
Using more than 3 mouse button creeps me out.. like you have spiders for hands...

#16 MechFighter5e3bf9

MechFighter5e3bf9

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted July 27 2014 - 02:35 PM

id like to hack together a custom mech chair to give utmost control wonder if its allowed, id do stuff like left foot press dodge left, both foot tap jump etc etc. long as it doesnt hook into the games drivers in any way it should be legal

ps also a 2 lever on each hand to control movement, pull left back push right forward to turn in a counterclockwise or push both forward to walk backward pull both back to walk forward
i think using immersive controls will help become more spatialy aware and stronger mental connection with the mech over a kb and mouse but unfair_ hmmm, illegal_ highly doubt it since it doesnt modify the game or any existing drivers

Edited by MechFighter5e3bf9, July 27 2014 - 04:14 PM.

i don't mean any of it

#17 Meraple

Meraple

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted July 27 2014 - 04:18 PM

View PostMechFighter5e3bf9, on July 27 2014 - 02:35 PM, said:

id like to hack together a custom mech chair to give utmost control wonder if its allowed, id do stuff like left foot press dodge left, both foot tap jump etc etc. long as it doesnt hook into the games drivers in any way it should be legal

ps also a 2 lever on each hand to control movement, pull left back push right forward to turn in a counterclockwise or push both forward to walk backward pull both back to walk forward
i think using immersive controls will help become more spatialy aware and stronger mental connection with the mech over a kb and mouse but unfair_ hmmm, illegal_ highly doubt it since it doesnt modify the game or any existing drivers

I want.

Posted Image

Spoiler

#18 MechFighter5e3bf9

MechFighter5e3bf9

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted July 27 2014 - 04:21 PM

View PostMeraple, on July 27 2014 - 04:18 PM, said:

View PostMechFighter5e3bf9, on July 27 2014 - 02:35 PM, said:

I want.

im gonna go pull out the old atari joysticks now and throw together a usb device mapping them to system inputs
i don't mean any of it

#19 spo0n

spo0n

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted July 27 2014 - 05:25 PM

I can see players who use double tap, pressing the button twice requires you to stop moving for a second between boosting and dodging.  I shoot them in this time.  A good sniper will powershot you then (HEY NEPT).

#20 Odinous

Odinous

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts
  • LocationAthens,Greece

Posted July 28 2014 - 03:16 AM

the only reason I though about double tap is that I want shift to be mounted to something else,then again its what spo0n mentioned,so no,shift boost sweet shift boost!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users