HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Predator - Hunter or Hunted_

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#21 IroncladLion

IroncladLion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted March 27 2014 - 09:23 AM

View PostAindreas, on March 26 2014 - 09:57 PM, said:

I like your changes on the weapons. But how about Predator's movement_ Is it too slow for a hunter_ The ability to dodge, dash, and fly is useless while cloaked, and that only decreases Predator's full potential. I think Predator should be able to dodge, dash, and fly while cloaked, but with a drawback: it can only walk after being knocked out of Stalker mode. Just like a cheetah.
Totally see where you are coming from. Sometimes it's a pain how you have to walk. But overall I like the idea of it being a really ground based mech, we have too many air mechs as it is. If I was to make any suggestions about speed, it would be that it should be slower in general, but when using it's ability it gets a (roughly 25%) bonus to walking speed, so it can actually fast walk. I think this would make people feel really satisfied with the whole 'predator' idea and being able to speed walk while cloaked. What do you think_

View PostPhantasmo, on March 26 2014 - 10:54 PM, said:

He he, one of the few things I like of the Breacher is the fact it's a nail gun and not an energy weapon: the missiles leaves no fancy trail that can give away your location.

On the other hand, I agree with what you said about the EOC P: it takes forever to lay a decent minefield.
The breacher can be a really fun weapon and I do like the sound. I just don't think it makes sense to have a nailgun on a really high-tech cloaking mech such as the Predator. A nail gun would be GREAT on a mech such as the raider because it's background was a 'merchants mech' with scrap parts made into weapons. Does that make any sense_

#22 Telamoont

Telamoont

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted March 27 2014 - 09:51 AM

View PostIroncladLion, on March 27 2014 - 09:23 AM, said:

The breacher can be a really fun weapon and I do like the sound. I just don't think it makes sense to have a nailgun on a really high-tech cloaking mech such as the Predator. A nail gun would be GREAT on a mech such as the raider because it's background was a 'merchants mech' with scrap parts made into weapons. Does that make any sense_

Yeah agree. And also my idea of melee prestige spear would be a awesome feature for future patchs if the dev team want some work.

#23 IroncladLion

IroncladLion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted March 27 2014 - 10:12 AM

View PostTelamoont, on March 27 2014 - 09:51 AM, said:

Yeah agree. And also my idea of melee prestige spear would be a awesome feature for future patchs if the dev team want some work.
If they could somehow make that actually work in game, might be a neat idea. However actual melee combat I'm afraid they have made a point not to include. Maybe a throwing spear inspired gun_ Like a REALLY big bolt_ could work.

#24 Telamoont

Telamoont

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted March 27 2014 - 11:07 AM

View PostIroncladLion, on March 27 2014 - 10:12 AM, said:

If they could somehow make that actually work in game, might be a neat idea. However actual melee combat I'm afraid they have made a point not to include. Maybe a throwing spear inspired gun_ Like a REALLY big bolt_ could work.

Yep, can be a alternative way to not implement melee on game. Like a harpoon gun.

#25 Phantasmo

Phantasmo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted March 27 2014 - 02:22 PM

What about a weapon which shoots slicing discs like the one in Predator 2_
Just a wild idea :D

The EOC R could replace the T32, and the disc could be the new prestige.

I don't know guys, don't you think the charged Breacher already looks like a javelin_

Edited by Phantasmo, March 27 2014 - 02:22 PM.

#26 Aindreas

Aindreas

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationOn the Internet

Posted March 29 2014 - 05:14 PM

Since you're invisible, the look of your weapon doesn't really matter anyway.

#27 Hell_Diguner

Hell_Diguner

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted March 30 2014 - 10:59 PM

Pred is not a fisherman or an assassin. He's a trapper. Woe to anyone who comes across a skilled Predator in MA or Siege.

Posted Image

Unfortunately the situations where a Predator can really shine are rare. In its current state, you'll probably never see a (useful) Pred in high MMR games.

Edited by Hell_Diguner, March 30 2014 - 10:59 PM.

#28 VocalMagic

VocalMagic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted March 31 2014 - 06:29 PM

The Predator is that hunter that lays down Bear traps that will maim you. However, if that is not preceded by something, followed up on, it's typically not enough.
The name makes you think he's the Mech Norris.

Imagine what it would be like if he was just named "Piston"

I'll try shouting it again today: "Saturnine! Saturnine! Stop the spam, Saturnine!"

_, ,_ ∩ ▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
( ゚∀゚)彡 S9!S9!▒▒▒
 ⊂彡▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒

#29 IroncladLion

IroncladLion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted March 31 2014 - 10:30 PM

View PostHell_Diguner, on March 30 2014 - 10:59 PM, said:

Pred is not a fisherman or an assassin. He's a trapper. Woe to anyone who comes across a skilled Predator in MA or Siege.

Define trapper...

#30 Phantasmo

Phantasmo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted March 31 2014 - 10:33 PM

View PostIroncladLion, on March 31 2014 - 10:30 PM, said:

View PostHell_Diguner, on March 30 2014 - 10:59 PM, said:

Define trapper...

And then explain how land traps can be useful in a fast paced game with flying enemies.

It's so, so situational. Hardly useful.

Everybody has had a game or two where they got many kills with the Predator.
However all those kills come from your team's work.
You can not get a whole 100% damage kill against any experienced player.

Edited by Phantasmo, March 31 2014 - 10:34 PM.

#31 Lightangel112

Lightangel112

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted April 01 2014 - 02:16 AM

I can almost get 100% of kills solo in predator. It can be hard thou.

I feel the predator is a hunter, that's exactly what I do, hunt ppl down.

Especially A mech's as they are a much easier target to handle of any mech.

Edited by Lightangel112, April 01 2014 - 09:50 AM.

View PostMeraple, on June 01 2014 - 11:54 AM, said:

If you want to be a Professional Yolodriver just go with DETs and the rest EMPs.

#32 Telamoont

Telamoont

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted April 01 2014 - 07:06 AM

View PostLightangel112, on April 01 2014 - 02:16 AM, said:

I can always get 100% kills solo in predator, it isn't that hard tbh.

The use of "always" and "100% kills solo" makes me feel you are a liar,
And when you talk like its a easy job and you are a ass-kicker I am sure you are. lol

#33 renynzea

renynzea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN

Posted April 01 2014 - 07:44 AM

Only thing I would like to see is the ability to charge the secondary weapon and fire all its mines at once.  The predator should be able to do massive ambush damage, at the expense of being vulnerable once it has been discovered.

#34 Desert_Fox2

Desert_Fox2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted April 01 2014 - 08:04 AM

View PostTelamoont, on April 01 2014 - 07:06 AM, said:

And when you talk like its a easy job and you are a ass-kicker I am sure you are. lol

Just saying, but he can take down Jeff solo in open combat. As for myself, I am not that great, he can take me down 100% of the time.

Before anyone asks for improvements for the Pred or passes judgement on it play against Light. Only then can you get to the point of making an opinion on it. If you are doing bad in the Pred then it is because you have a lot to learn.

I am not positive, but I would go so far as to say that Light is the best Predator player in the game.

#35 Hijinks_The_Turtle

Hijinks_The_Turtle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,569 posts
  • LocationTurtles be turtlin'

Posted April 01 2014 - 08:05 AM

Gentlemen, before this devolves into a 'I'm a better player than you are' kind of thread.  Let's stay on topic here people.  If you are inclined to find proof, why don't we let Lightangel112 post a unedited video of his gameplay as a predator.

Light, I know you are a real good Predator pilot but he is indeed right when you say 'always' or '100%' when it comes to this (I would not use the words he chose though).

On topic:

Predator overall is a good concept, however the skill level to even use the Pred might be too high to use for too many Predator pilots.  Heck, Predator was my first prestige mech and I've spent countless hours in trying to make it work right and I still feel I fuzzy bunny up too much with it. Even if I do a good job (using a mix of traps, ambush, defenese), I usually rank near the bottom due to the awkward synergy of the weapons, long reload time, speed of the projectiles, slow speed of Predator overall.

Ways to help the Pred:
  • Increase speed of boosting/walking - So Pred can actually do his job right since boosting makes his ability useless
  • Shorten the reload times for EOC-P and Breacher - So you won't be killed due to having slow weapons and help your team more.
  • Increase the projectile speed of EOC-P - To effectively lay traps due to the fact that the mechs are significantly faster.
  • Have x amount of damage make Predator appear OR when under cloak, increase damage of his weapons - So Predator's job is more clear to people, and it will make the ability more useful.

I really believe that Predator needs a buff.  I find it rather disheartening that other mechs can do Predator's jobs better than it can.  I believe these changes will make Predator good at what it's supposed to do.

#36 Aindreas

Aindreas

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationOn the Internet

Posted April 01 2014 - 09:01 AM

Ways to help the Pred:
  • Increase speed of boosting/walking - So Pred can actually do his job right since boosting makes his ability useless
  • Shorten the reload times for EOC-P and Breacher - So you won't be killed due to having slow weapons and help your team more.
  • Increase the projectile speed of EOC-P - To effectively lay traps due to the fact that the mechs are significantly faster.
  • Have x amount of damage make Predator appear OR when under cloak, increase damage of his weapons - So Predator's job is more clear to people, and it will make the ability more useful.
I really believe that Predator needs a buff.  I find it rather disheartening that other mechs can do Predator's jobs better than it can.  I believe these changes will make Predator good at what it's supposed to do.

I love your suggestions. However, I don't really feel the need to buff Predator's ability. My main worry is its cat-scratching weapons. Since these two come-equipped weapons are exclusive to Predator, they certainly need a lot of rework.

#37 Telamoont

Telamoont

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted April 01 2014 - 09:42 AM

View PostDesert_Fox2, on April 01 2014 - 08:04 AM, said:

Just saying, but he can take down Jeff solo in open combat. As for myself, I am not that great, he can take me down 100% of the time.

Before anyone asks for improvements for the Pred or passes judgement on it play against Light. Only then can you get to the point of making an opinion on it. If you are doing bad in the Pred then it is because you have a lot to learn.

I am not positive, but I would go so far as to say that Light is the best Predator player in the game.

Ppl who ask for a rework on predator mech are not bad pilots. Perhaps they can be tecnical enough to notice the mech has a big problem and need some buffs.

Maybe you can ask your friend to print and show the individual predator profile status to us. So we can check all that 100% awesomeness.

#38 IroncladLion

IroncladLion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted April 01 2014 - 09:51 AM

Hijinks, ;) nailed it.

And the more I think about it, in addition to buffing it's weapons... The movement could be upped a little.

While still keep the whole 'ground based mech' thing going, how about increase the walk speed by like 30ish% when cloaked_ But getting knocked out of cloak / shooting of course would make it turn back into move super slow mode. The walking super fast while cloaked just sounds too fun and practical to leave out :)

#39 Hijinks_The_Turtle

Hijinks_The_Turtle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,569 posts
  • LocationTurtles be turtlin'

Posted April 01 2014 - 09:54 AM

View PostIroncladLion, on April 01 2014 - 09:51 AM, said:

Hijinks, ;) nailed it.

And the more I think about it, in addition to buffing it's weapons... The movement could be upped a little.

While still keep the whole 'ground based mech' thing going, how about increase the walk speed by like 30ish% when cloaked_ But getting knocked out of cloak / shooting of course would make it turn back into move super slow mode. The walking super fast while cloaked just sounds too fun and practical to leave out :)

Posted Image
Puns for the win!

As for your idea, I think that'll be interesting.  However, I'd rather make the speed buff 15-25%.  30% sounds like a lot.

#40 Lightangel112

Lightangel112

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted April 01 2014 - 10:00 AM

I reworded it. I can almost get 100% of kills solo. I do miss you know, I don't always hit my mark at all possible times. I am human after all and of late it hasn't been easy getting my kills as I've been playing against some very high level people.

View PostHijinks_The_Turtle, on April 01 2014 - 08:05 AM, said:

Gentlemen, before this devolves into a 'I'm a better player than you are' kind of thread.  Let's stay on topic here people. If you are inclined to find proof, why don't we let Lightangel112 post a unedited video of his gameplay as a predator.
I would love to, but sadly my system won't let me. I've been trying to tweak the OBS settings for a while now. Testing the settings to get a good sample. But it comes out horrendous, I can just about keep the game running at roughly 40 fps atm.

Edited by Lightangel112, April 01 2014 - 10:06 AM.

View PostMeraple, on June 01 2014 - 11:54 AM, said:

If you want to be a Professional Yolodriver just go with DETs and the rest EMPs.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users