HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Predator - Hunter or Hunted_

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#41 Lightangel112

Lightangel112

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted April 01 2014 - 10:03 AM

I already stated that predator needs a ROF buff to both breacher and the EOC P for sure.
As well as a speed buff to the EOC P projectiles. It is way to slow for some cqc scenario's.

Edited by Lightangel112, April 01 2014 - 10:06 AM.

View PostMeraple, on June 01 2014 - 11:54 AM, said:

If you want to be a Professional Yolodriver just go with DETs and the rest EMPs.

#42 Hijinks_The_Turtle

Hijinks_The_Turtle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,569 posts
  • LocationTurtles be turtlin'

Posted April 01 2014 - 10:06 AM

View PostLightangel112, on April 01 2014 - 10:03 AM, said:

View PostHijinks_The_Turtle, on April 01 2014 - 08:05 AM, said:

Gentlemen, before this devolves into a 'I'm a better player than you are' kind of thread.  Let's stay on topic here people. If you are inclined to find proof, why don't we let Lightangel112 post a unedited video of his gameplay as a predator.
Sadly I can't due to my outdated system. I have been trying to tweak the OBS settings for a while now. Testing new settings to get a good video out. But it comes out horrendous, I can just about keep the game running at roughly 40 fps atm.

Awww, that's alright.  What a bummer. I really wanted to see those freaking awesome tactics you use. D:  Unless someone else could act as a camera and watch you duel or stuff.  (Not me, my poor laptop would also have horrendous framerate drops and overheat like mad.)

View PostLightangel112, on April 01 2014 - 10:03 AM, said:

I already stated that predator needs a ROF buff to both breacher and the EOC P for sure.
As well as a speed buff to the EOC P projectiles. It is way to slow for some cqc scenario's.

I'd say most scenarios.  The only times when it's in your favor is:
  • If you are in a hallway area and it has lots of corners and turns and it's only you and one enemy pilot
  • If your buddies are near by to take the attention of the enemy
  • If you really catch the enemy off guard (really hard to do in good matches)

Edited by Hijinks_The_Turtle, April 01 2014 - 10:09 AM.

#43 IroncladLion

IroncladLion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted April 01 2014 - 10:09 AM

View PostHijinks_The_Turtle, on April 01 2014 - 09:54 AM, said:

As for your idea, I think that'll be interesting.  However, I'd rather make the speed buff 15-25%.  30% sounds like a lot.

The 30% speed boost would ONLY be for walking though. I mean even if a mech could walk super fast while cloaked, would it really be a problem_ As soon as he dodged / boosted / shot / whatever the speed would go back to normal. I just think a nice speed boost would be cool for getting around the map faster and helping out your team.

#44 Lightangel112

Lightangel112

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted April 01 2014 - 10:10 AM

Yeah, that is the only solution I can think of atm, cause I'm not about to spend £££ on a new system right now.

If you want to be a Professional Yolodriver just go with DETs and the rest EMPs.

#45 Hijinks_The_Turtle

Hijinks_The_Turtle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,569 posts

Posted April 01 2014 - 10:13 AM

View PostIroncladLion, on April 01 2014 - 10:09 AM, said:

View PostHijinks_The_Turtle, on April 01 2014 - 09:54 AM, said:

As for your idea, I think that'll be interesting.  However, I'd rather make the speed buff 15-25%.  30% sounds like a lot.

The 30% speed boost would ONLY be for walking though. I mean even if a mech could walk super fast while cloaked, would it really be a problem_ As soon as he dodged / boosted / shot / whatever the speed would go back to normal. I just think a nice speed boost would be cool for getting around the map faster and helping out your team.

Ah okay, I see!  I change my mind on my statement about this earlier then.

#46 Telamoont

Telamoont

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted April 03 2014 - 03:52 PM

+10% speed when cloaked sounds ok
+ x% reload speed for breacher
+ EOC Pred can charge to fire 5 puks (2 charges, a full 10 puks trap)

Now the predator will be ok compared to others mechs.

#47 Hijinks_The_Turtle

Hijinks_The_Turtle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,569 posts

Posted April 03 2014 - 05:37 PM

You know what would be interesting_  Crazy idea and all (I'm sure this wont happen) but what if Pred's cloak made all teammates in x distance from the Predator invisible_  Just a crazy thought.

#48 PCP_MD

PCP_MD

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted April 04 2014 - 12:10 AM

I like the Pred alot, but honestly I feel like the pred's traps are so rarely effective that the whole "trapper" thing should just be scrapped... The traps are too visible, too vulnerable to random stuff setting them off, too small in area control (7 different ways onto a point, and oyu have to figure out which one they'll take) and they take FAR too long to set. In the time it takes to set a trap you could WALK from one silo to another, or collect half a load of EU. In any objective based setting the time it takes to lay a trap is offset by the fact that you could ambush and kill someone with less danger to you than sitting there uncloaked, visible to radar, setting 10 mines (god forbid one mine lands on another, since you'd need to start all over again). And to add insult to injury, if you end up in combat before someone hits the trap, it's wasted because using the EOC Pred in combat will remove mines from your trap. If the trap thing is popular, why not add an item like a prox mine_

I think the breacher is an AMAZING idea in concept, but I think it needs to have it's charged shot damage and range increased and charge time increased to compensate. Breacher is not very bursty. I think it'd be better adjusting it for more damage and less RoF. More dmg and less RoF would increase the need to pick your shots, but not make it too powerful in straight up combat, since a miss would be a bigger deal.

I don't feel that the T32 was buffed enough. The charged shot is still pretty weaksauce. That said, I still like the EOC repeater, mainly for its burst damage, but also it's more effective than the breacher at long range (assuming you can compensate for recoil, you can do a TON of damage to a sniper very easily) HOWEVER, if you wanted more burst, and a cloak, then you could just get the EOC on the infil rather than using a slower mech with less damage, and hoping that nobody sees the shimmer while you creep up before you attack.

I would love to see a more bursty secondary like a corsair or something unique to the pred.

Secondary could be another charge up weapon (to keep the predator favoring ambush over head-to-head skirmishing.) I think it would be amazing setting it up with dual slow-breachers.

I love the idea of increased movement speed while cloaked, and I would love being able to shoot through terrain with the charged breacher, but those changes might end up making it TOO powerful.

Telamoont mentioned a harpoon gun, but i think that's something for a different mech.

A little while back i was thinking it would be cool if there was a melee mech and i even thought of a legit backstory for it.

The Jackhammer - C Class

(I'd make it tanky and construction-equipment-like, with high walk speed for a heavy and terrible air speed)

Originally used for excavation, the Jackhammer was a heavy duty tunneling machine. Outfitted with its namesake Jackhammer on one arm and a harpoon and winch on the other for rappelling, the mech was not originally intended as a battle mech. With recent developments in technology however, engineers were able to adapt a special overdrive reactor to allow for quick bursts of speed, and thrusters for added mobility. The Jackhammer focuses catching a target with its harpoon, then dealing massive damage in close range.

Secondary - Jackhammer
Primary - Harpoon (either pull to target, or pull target to you, or pull both to central location. maybe add in a wall pull functionality.)
Alternate Primary - Shock Net (for immobilization)
Prestige - _
(or secondary is harpoon, primary jackhammer, and alternate and prestige could be other melee)
Ability - Overdrive: Massive speed boost for a short duration.
\m/_(>_<)_\m/

#49 Lightangel112

Lightangel112

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted April 04 2014 - 04:27 AM

I don't like some of your ideas PCP_MD. Increase the ROF!_ Omg that would make predator even more useless in actual combat than already is atm. I want a decrease. Breacher charging at 1.8 instead of 2.0. Pucks to be fired at least at 0.25 seconds than 0.5. This is what is making setting up traps long and tedious. That I've completely abandoned setting traps and if deployed only using 2-3 pucks on the fly to cut off a corner or something. Movement speed would be a plus.

Edited by Lightangel112, April 04 2014 - 04:30 AM.

#50 T_Bird

T_Bird

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted April 07 2014 - 01:20 PM

I enjoy playing my Predator on most maps (except for Bunker and Lost Eco).
My suggestion to improve the Predator is:

=> If I've been out-of-combat for 10+ seconds I would like to be able to plant mines without breaking stealth.

And some proof on that the Predator is not totally worthless:
http://youtu.be/EVN71X2zACw

#51 PCP_MD

PCP_MD

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted April 07 2014 - 05:38 PM

The slower fire rate thing was assuming the breacher got a signifigant damage buff and assuming the Pred a different secondary weapon. The Pred should still have an ambush focused role, but shouldn't be SoL if it gets decloaked at a longer range... the slower charge and added damage and range would make it more like a powerful Sabot, but not as much of a change to the shotty mode (if any). The EOC Pred is nice against stationary targets, but even with a faster fire rate, the travel time would still be problematic for actual combat. For a trapper, the ability to place mines without breaking stealth would help, but it still takes a long time to set the traps. Being able to place mines without breaking stealth would be a little too powerful imo.

If the Breacher can pierce clean through every mech on the battlefield, then it seems a bit silly to me that it only does a little tick of damage. Also, it pierces through mechs, but seems to have trouble piercing through air, since at long range the damage is negligible. I think rail-gun-mode should be devastating, but slow to compensate, and the shotty mode should be either faster, or more damaging. Making the Predator feel better without making it too powerful is tough though, because of all the different mechanics coming together in one mech.
\m/_(>_<)_\m/

#52 SmokinKushDaily

SmokinKushDaily

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted April 09 2014 - 04:58 AM

HOW BOUT WHEN YOUR SETTING UP THE MINES WITH THE REPEATER AND YOUR ON YOUR LAST ONE... AND YOU HIT ONE OF THE DAMN SET ONES ALREADY AND BOOM, GOES UR MINE FIELD. GRRRRRRRRRR

#53 Lightangel112

Lightangel112

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted April 10 2014 - 12:34 AM

The thing I hate about repeater projectiles is you can't get rid of them, you have to wait them out.

#54 PCP_MD

PCP_MD

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted April 10 2014 - 01:29 AM

That feel when you don't notice a repeater mine near you, and it goes off and decloaks you in front of the whole enemy team.
\m/_(>_<)_\m/

#55 Deuced

Deuced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted April 10 2014 - 02:44 AM

Just dropping my opinion (without reading through most posts in the thread)

My berserker got ambushed (-100 hp straight off) by a full health Pred at a corner, but won the duel with ~80hp. (I'll skip out on other Pred duels I had, but they felt like easy kills)

Imo, the Pred could more reliably deal enough burst or sustained damage to mobile targets.

My suggestion is to add a charge function to the secondary weapon, similar to the EOC, but fires the mines in bursts (of 3/6/9_) while retaining all other stats. This essentially turns the secondary into a slow firing TOW, and could help the Pred reliably land hits by catching opponents after dodges, or catch opponents around corners.

#56 AboveTheSky

AboveTheSky

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationPredator Pilot of prosk army

Posted April 10 2014 - 04:27 AM

i hate just one thing epic reload time

Posted Image

#57 PCP_MD

PCP_MD

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted April 10 2014 - 09:29 PM

I know everyone thinks the pred should have higher RoF, but burst:RoF ratio has to be balanced to not be OP, meaning more burst = less RoF. I think it should buffed, but slowed as well, to keep it focused on burst rather than sustain. Increased Breacher damage and significantly increased charged-shot-damage, but increasing charge time, would make the charge shot feel more like a rail gun, and the shotgun mode less "i'm-gonna-overheat-before-i-kill-him". The prox mines should reward accuracy and precise placement, so i would say greatly increase the damage and AoE radius, but decrease the RoF and make the detonate button work when they're in the air (also tie the det button to EOC repeater mines). That would make setting traps faster, and allow for more effective traps that aren't useless after a few seconds of engaging in combat. As it is, accuracy with the TOW is far more rewarding than with the EOC pred, since ppl are gonna trip over the mines anyway if you miss. I'm thinking, other classes have the potential to 100 to 0 a light mech nearly instantly with a det or an HE and a shot from each weapon, so a pred should be able to as well. Also, a perfect charged breacher shot through the whole enemy team should be more rewarding. At any range that you would survive more than a few seconds after firing that shot, the shot is so weak due to damage drop off that all you really did was alert the enemy team to your presence.

tl:dr for all of  what i've said this forum:
-slower charge breacher, more damage, more range charged
-bigger mines with airburst capability or a non-trap secondary
-tie the EOC repeater to the det button
-faster walk speed (at the very least, faster walk while cloaked)
\m/_(>_<)_\m/

#58 Gh0stMantis

Gh0stMantis

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationIn a cave, with a box of scraps.

Posted April 25 2014 - 12:53 PM

preds are highly under-powered at the moment imo. I dont think the april patch help them much either... i fuzzy bunny on preds in my EOC rocketeer. Take 'em out of stealth with a quick hellfire and then warm their feet up with mines. in fact, i cant remember a single mech i've used which couldnt outright out-manoeuvre and destroy a flanking predator. It would be interesting to fight a pred pilot who 'knows what they're doing'...

Posted Image

'The opportunity to secure ourselves against defeat lies in our own hands,

but the opportunity of defeating the enemy is provided by the enemy himself.'

- Sun Tzu -

#59 Meraple

Meraple

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted April 25 2014 - 01:16 PM

View PostGh0stMantis, on April 25 2014 - 12:53 PM, said:

preds are highly under-powered at the moment imo.

I really want to laugh at you.
Very hard.
It simply has a high skill ceiling.
Most people playing Predator have no idea what they're doing.

Posted Image

Spoiler

#60 Lightangel112

Lightangel112

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted April 25 2014 - 01:23 PM

View PostGh0stMantis, on April 25 2014 - 12:53 PM, said:

preds are highly under-powered at the moment imo. I dont think the april patch help them much either... i fuzzy bunny on preds in my EOC rocketeer. Take 'em out of stealth with a quick hellfire and then warm their feet up with mines. in fact, i cant remember a single mech i've used which couldnt outright out-manoeuvre and destroy a flanking predator. It would be interesting to fight a pred pilot who 'knows what they're doing'...
You can duel either myself, Meraple, memag, AboveTheSky, Vdragon or LEmental. All of us would love to show you how it's really done. Predator is nowhere near under powered. It is OVER POWERED imo since this last patch.

Edited by Lightangel112, April 25 2014 - 01:24 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users