HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Third attempt at explaining why heavy vs light mechs is not balanced.

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#81 Bopilop

Bopilop

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted April 28 2014 - 01:40 PM

Team game.  Math not needed.  Get with your team.

#82 MechFighter5e3bf9

MechFighter5e3bf9

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted April 28 2014 - 02:19 PM

my vanguard is pretty good at wiping out squads let alone 1v1, in tunnels or wide open areas, with teamates helping or not it almost feels unfair to them
i don't mean any of it

#83 Amisto

Amisto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted April 29 2014 - 09:53 AM

1 vs 1, any situation, heavy have the advantage.   Turn cap_ I have never had a problem with the turn cap, you need to use movement in relation to aiming to position yourself properly.

personally I prefer Vanguard as my Heavy so my examples will use it.

1. Radar - If you use it then no one can get close to you unless they are walking up behind you.
2. if you see a scout, it doesn't take much fire to get them running for cover, if they continue coming at you, you already won, as long as you can aim.
3. if a scout somehow manages to get close to you, side dodge at an angle away from enemy,  suppressing fire, walking backwards, you have one advantage here as well, he will always be trying to close on you, so you can predict likely paths he will take, you however have more freedom in your movement choices, as he is chasing you, merely breaking line of site with him is an advantage, why_ if you are moving back and expecting him to round the corner, you are 1 gaining distance 2, ready for him to pop out, 3 he cannot see you on radar as you are only walking, 3 if he boosts you see him coming on radar, so this is clearly all in your advantage if he chooses to chase you, not to mention if he is dumb enough to boost forward to catch you he has weapons delay.

If I am scout in this situation though here is what I do, round the corner at a distance - ie I want to see my enemy before I take a risky move, cutting the corner from a distance let's me avoid a grenade to the face,  he won't be getting away from me any time, so I can take my time killing him, I will soften him with Tow. I am looking for my enemy to make a mistake, if he turns and run's he is dead, if he dodges for no reason I will land a tow, I will try and close distance by staying in cover, I am looking for an opening, did he miss a grenade_ am I close enough to close distance land a salvo and get back to cover_  Once he is down to 50% from this style of playing I can be more aggressive, I can close in now still focusing on landing's Tow's.  Predicting enemy very useful.

Heavy's need cover as they are easy to hit.

685 health vs 315  - 2 grenades = 250 damage + 6 hits of smc - doesn't take much to kill a scout.

To kill you he must land around 3 tow's plus 3 Flak shots.  If both target's land every shot, Scout loses.  every time you miss you make yourself lose. You need to aim better than your enemy.

Edited by Amisto, April 29 2014 - 10:00 AM.

#84 Amisto

Amisto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted April 29 2014 - 09:59 AM

View Postmccrorie, on April 09 2014 - 01:13 PM, said:

View PostAmisto, on April 03 2014 - 11:21 AM, said:

View PostPhantasmo, on April 01 2014 - 06:00 PM, said:

View Posthendman, on April 01 2014 - 05:57 PM, said:

Just one remark, you don't turn slower because you move your mouse faster. You might move it so fast that you reach the end of your mousepad, and the mech on your screen only moved half the distance it did when you moved the mouse slower, but that is because a lot of the mouse input is discarded when you exceed the turncap.

I thought that and I specifically tested it, and I found that I was moving slower.
If I move the mouse at say 5cm/s I turn  x degrees, but when I move the mouse at some odd 10cm/s or 20cm/s I actuall turn less degrees.

This means you must move the mouse very slow when fighting people who turn fast. It just makes no sense.

Turn off enhance pointer position in windows mouse settings, it changes the mouse input based on how fast you move your mouse, has nothing to do with Hawken.

Can someone confirm this_ Seems interesting.

I thought that if you didn't want this behaviour you would turn off mouse acceleration.

enhanced pointer precision is mouse acceleration, microsoft renamed it.

#85 OmegaNull

OmegaNull

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Location2300-2400 Pilot Camp

Posted April 29 2014 - 01:19 PM

I thought this thread died...

Scootin' and Shootin | Ballin' and Brawlin' | Ragin' and Raidin'

Posted Image

I am Omega Null. The abyss is my home and your last frontier. Welcome to my lair and become my Prey. As I track your scent through this nether,

my mouth begins to water. Your Demise will be quick and wretched.

Enjoy your Pain and Suffering as I tear Limb from Limb. Prepare to meet your Final End.

Member of Violent Resolution

#86 Krellus

Krellus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted April 29 2014 - 03:19 PM

I for one would dearly like a test server with no turn rate cap. I think it would improve gameplay immensely, and bring many new players and help keep them interested. If the test server bombs, fair enough, forget the idea. But I think the devs should at least try it. The titans in titanfall have no turn rate cap and they still feel like big cool machines. Hawken just doesnt need the turn rate cap. It is hurting the pop.

Edited by Krellus, April 29 2014 - 03:19 PM.

#87 Stingz

Stingz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted April 30 2014 - 06:11 AM

View PostKrellus, on April 29 2014 - 03:19 PM, said:

I for one would dearly like a test server with no turn rate cap. I think it would improve gameplay immensely, and bring many new players and help keep them interested. If the test server bombs, fair enough, forget the idea. But I think the devs should at least try it. The titans in titanfall have no turn rate cap and they still feel like big cool machines. Hawken just doesnt need the turn rate cap. It is hurting the pop.

Brawler, Reaper, and Sharpshooter will be more horrifying than they have any right to be without a turn cap.

Brawler's edging on being ridiculous with it's 800 HP, with a Tech and reliable team it won't stop.

Edited by Stingz, April 30 2014 - 06:11 AM.

Running directly to/from sniper fire means you'll die tired. Taking cover gives (Ke-)Sabot time to reload.
Someone elses data of Hawken gear/mechs | and another one

#88 Gh0stMantis

Gh0stMantis

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationIn a cave, with a box of scraps.

Posted May 06 2014 - 08:17 PM

such QQ. I play C class, and with the right tactics A's fall at my feet. practice, practice, practice.

Posted Image

'The opportunity to secure ourselves against defeat lies in our own hands,

but the opportunity of defeating the enemy is provided by the enemy himself.'

- Sun Tzu -

#89 Silverfire

Silverfire

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,042 posts
  • LocationThe Depths of Coruscant

Posted May 06 2014 - 10:01 PM

Oh please let this thread die.

Posted Image

Check out my new short film Prebirth: The Eternal War! Check out my e-peen!

Need to find a mech guide_ Well, look here!
Intel Core i3 2120 @ 3.30 GHz |  Corsair XMS3 8GB RAM | eVGA GTX 550Ti 1GB OC | Corsair CX600 PSU

#90 Bazookagofer

Bazookagofer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted May 07 2014 - 03:55 PM

View PostSilverfire, on May 06 2014 - 10:01 PM, said:

Oh please let this thread die.
If you want it to die don't post... aw damn... I feel like an idiot now -_-

Posted Image "If at first you do not succeed... reload"

#91 jrkong

jrkong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted May 08 2014 - 09:58 PM

View PostHubbaBubba9849, on April 01 2014 - 05:52 PM, said:

Indeed. Out in the open, in a 1v1 scenario, an A-class typically has an advantage over a C-class. The C-class mechs are designed to be most effective in team play. You can't say you wouldn't, or haven't, pissed yourself at the sight of a group of brawlers and/or vangaurds headed your way.

However, given the proper environment, a C-class will certainly have the advantage in a 1v1 scenario. For example, a Grenadier in the tunnels of Origin has home-field advantage over any A-class.
When that happens I think: It's peekaboo time!

#92 MechFighter5e3bf9

MechFighter5e3bf9

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted May 08 2014 - 10:41 PM

bump
i don't mean any of it

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users