HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

The Cockpit Podcast | April 9th | 7 PM Pacific, 10 PM Eastern, 2 AM GMT

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Saturnine

Saturnine

The Brawler Herder

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,676 posts
  • LocationTallinn, Estonia

Posted April 07 2014 - 12:55 PM

Posted Image

| Stream page | Facebook Page | Twitter |

Wednesdays at 7 PM PST / 10 PM EST / 2 AM GMT

This week: April 9th

This week! Vana is not here again! Which means the image is wrong once more! (Hooray!) Taking his place this week is community member PlagueDoctor. As a result, please remember who is here to answer your questions and don't ask any that are dev-focused! We are all community members after all, so we can't really give you much insight on things like VOIP or what's coming. I'm sure there'll be some devs in the chat though, so if they're around and you have a question, ask there and maybe they will answer!

Also! We'll be giving away some Hawken Credits this show to a lucky viewer, so make sure you watch and are following the stream! If you're not following the show, you aren't eligible to win!

If you haven't already, go join the official Hawken Steam group, and also write a review for Hawken, and upvote the ones you like! Gotta get the word out about Hawken and get as many new players as we can!

Edited by Saturnine, April 08 2014 - 05:46 AM.

Posted Image

digitalhughes: @s9 you stinkn' weasel!

Don't know which mech to pilot_ Check out my guide to the mechs!

Want to hang out with some awesome people, including ReEvolve, Ashfire908, Rei, ThirdEyE, and even the world-famous Loc_Tr_ Come to the #hawkenscrim IRC!

#2 Hijinks_The_Turtle

Hijinks_The_Turtle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,569 posts
  • LocationTurtles be turtlin'

Posted April 07 2014 - 01:22 PM

Two questions:

How did PlagueDoctor create his username_

What do you imagine the 'Siege Tank' and 'Pusher' mechs to be like and what awesome abilities would be on them_ Example: Siege Tank is able to instantly turn into a heavily armored gun platform made for carrying friendly mechs safely to the AA with a damage increase to its weapons and so on.

Edited by Hijinks_The_Turtle, April 07 2014 - 01:31 PM.

#3 ReEvolve

ReEvolve

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted April 07 2014 - 02:09 PM

Questions:
  • Your opinion on "low level only" (lvl 1-10) servers for newbies_
  • Your opinion on HC bonuses for staying on a server_ Lots of people complain about joining games that are close to finish. They often have to search for a new server once the match is over since most/many players leave the server right after match ended. What would be a good amount of HC_
  • What combination of cosmetic items would you like to see for a cosmetic-only Steam bundle_
  • Do you think that match data from horribly unbalanced matches (3v6, 2v5 etc.) from before the march patch can influence/falsify the data that is used to decide what to buff and what to nerf_ Unbalanced matches were quite common before the march patch after all.

Edited by ReEvolve, April 07 2014 - 06:19 PM.

#4 Silverfire

Silverfire

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,042 posts
  • LocationThe Depths of Coruscant

Posted April 07 2014 - 08:22 PM

Opinions on what each of the cast feels is underpowered and how you would go about fixing it.

Posted Image

Check out my new short film Prebirth: The Eternal War! Check out my e-peen!

Need to find a mech guide_ Well, look here!
Intel Core i3 2120 @ 3.30 GHz |  Corsair XMS3 8GB RAM | eVGA GTX 550Ti 1GB OC | Corsair CX600 PSU

#5 Saturnine

Saturnine

The Brawler Herder

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,676 posts

Posted April 08 2014 - 07:37 AM

There is currently a known security flaw with the OpenSSL encryption method used by Steam (and many other places) where hackers can get information out of the network traffic. You can find further information on heartbleed.com . If your first instinct is to log out of steam, or do anything else with the client or the steam website, DON'T. The latest version of OpenSSL has this issue fixed, but that version was only released after the flaw was discovered - Steams' system was vulnerable at the time of discovery. You can be certain that they are issuing fixes for it right now, but there are still some vulnerable areas and you want to be as safe as possible.

For the moment, do not do ANYTHING on Steam until the issue is for sure fixed, including logging off or anything else. After the flaw is confirmed to be fixed, Steam will almost certainly be issuing a statement on what action you'll want to take to help protect your information. This will certainly include a password change, as well as most likely some other stuff.

Chances are I can't update this right on time with information as it comes up, but you can find information as it comes on the @steamdb twitter feed, and the @steam_support feed will also update as soon as there is anything official from Steam themselves.

Alright, I wasn't quite able to update in real time, but here you go! The sites attached to Steam should all be updated at this point. It is the recommendation of SteamDB (Not Valve at this time specifically, but SteamDB is extremely trustworthy) to change your password and reset Steam Guard at this time. The websites are FOR SURE protected against the exploit (it's not too hard to check). If you changed your password and stuff BEFORE Zdragow or I posted later on in this thread that it was safe to, your information was changed while the system was still vulnerable, and you'll need to do it again.

You ought not be too concerned about this at this point - regular users are astronomically unlikely to have had their details grabbed due to this exploit, but of course it is always better safe than sorry.

Edited by Saturnine, April 08 2014 - 12:12 PM.

Posted Image

Want to hang out with some awesome people, including ReEvolve, Ashfire908, Rei, ThirdEyE, and even the world-famous Loc_Tr_ Come to the #hawkenscrim IRC!

#6 Dr_Freeze001

Dr_Freeze001

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts
  • LocationBelgium, GMT+1

Posted April 08 2014 - 08:25 AM

Wait, doest that include playing games_

#7 Wi2P

Wi2P

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts
  • Location.. Recalculating ..

Posted April 08 2014 - 09:01 AM

View PostDr_Freeze001, on April 08 2014 - 08:25 AM, said:

Wait, doest that include playing games_

The Steam client is at risk, so I believe it would.

#8 craftydus

craftydus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 937 posts
  • LocationIn The Uterus of Love

Posted April 08 2014 - 09:08 AM

heartbleed

http://www.incgamers...use-until-fixed

#9 Wi2P

Wi2P

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted April 08 2014 - 09:11 AM

View Postcraftydus, on April 08 2014 - 09:08 AM, said:

Such an ominously fitting name..

#10 Dr_Freeze001

Dr_Freeze001

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts
  • LocationBelgium, GMT+1

Posted April 08 2014 - 09:32 AM

Now that I think about it some more it says that it's the steam domain and access codes that are in danger. But seeing as adhesive manages their own servers and steam only gives the command to launch the game and you have to log in manually and not through steam then our accounts should be on adhesive's side, right_ So our hawken accounts shouldn't be at risk... right_

As long as we don't log in or out to steam and we don't use passwords we should be fine.

Edited by Dr_Freeze001, April 08 2014 - 09:33 AM.

#11 Wi2P

Wi2P

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted April 08 2014 - 10:06 AM

View PostDr_Freeze001, on April 08 2014 - 09:32 AM, said:

Now that I think about it some more it says that it's the steam domain and access codes that are in danger. But seeing as adhesive manages their own servers and steam only gives the command to launch the game and you have to log in manually and not through steam then our accounts should be on adhesive's side, right_ So our hawken accounts shouldn't be at risk... right_

As long as we don't log in or out to steam and we don't use passwords we should be fine.

I wouldn't risk it, Doctor. I think you may be correct, though I wouldn't risk it.

Does anyone have more technical details on this matter_

#12 Saturnine

Saturnine

The Brawler Herder

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,676 posts

Posted April 08 2014 - 11:22 AM

Heartbleed.com has a bunch of information on it. In any case, the sites should all be fixed, so the current recommendation from SteamDB is to change your steam password and reset steam guard. If you did it earlier today, do it again. Regular users weren't at particularly high risk of being targeted, but stuff could still have gotten out.

As a reminder, OpenSSL is a very popular encryption method, so if you use another website that uses OpenSSL, try to make sure that the problem has been resolved there as well before doing anything with sensitive information. Change your passwords and such there as well; though any websites affected should let you know specifically if you need to change your password and such.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled cockpit thread! Keep the questions coming!

Edited by Saturnine, April 08 2014 - 12:15 PM.

Posted Image

#13 Cloudstorm

Cloudstorm

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • LocationAlfheim

Posted April 08 2014 - 06:56 PM

A big picture question where is the game going the vision please.
New maps new game modes are we going to get any if yes when_
Community seems to be getting preoccupied with detail I have been in since Alpha so really would like to see a viewpoint on vision for game at launch.

#14 EM1O

EM1O

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationNahfeck, V'jainya

Posted April 08 2014 - 07:26 PM

i am also interested in the "vision" concept: is there an actual general shape, form, or ultimate end-structure in mind here_
i can still see pieces of the original beast here, but for the last 6 or 8 months it seems to have deteriorated into kneejerk break/fix/break-again try something tooth-crackingly different, and 0.2% are mad, 0.2% are glad, 0.4% might say something.
IE: if someone that played mw2 saw 60seconds of MWO, he'd prolly recognize the game immediately, & go "Wow! MechWarrior's still going!"
Will we have the same experience 15 or 20 years down the road here, do you think_
I can maybe wonder at someone's reaction that hasn't checked in for barely a year fires up Hawken and encounters a Tech, Raider, Predator,etc. in the first match. The garage seems to be getting cluttered just a little too fast. Just my tuppence.
Rock On
edit: btw: the SSL exploits also affect opensource, including the BSDs, and secure layering concept, as well as mail and login controls with TLS. if you don't know what this means, it probably isn't anything for you to worry about.

Edited by EM1O, April 09 2014 - 09:25 AM.

Lingua-indigenae  *=0=*  Clans & Guilds  *=||=*  Which Mech_  *=X=*  GPU Test  *=W=*  CPU Test  *=O=*  Dementia

Posted Image

#15 Xacius

Xacius

The Saltan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,889 posts
  • LocationOther games, waiting for dev beacon

Posted April 08 2014 - 07:51 PM

How is the cockpit crew handling the excess salt_  Do the salt mines need to be shut down_
High MMR (2700+) livestream (scroll down on twitch page for in-depth bio and PC specs).   Check out my Steam Guide!

Exeon is fuzzy bunny bad.

Currently inactive.  Estimated return: TPG 2

#16 Hijinks_The_Turtle

Hijinks_The_Turtle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,569 posts
  • LocationTurtles be turtlin'

Posted April 08 2014 - 08:28 PM

The most important question of all:

Can it blend_

#17 Saturnine

Saturnine

The Brawler Herder

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,676 posts

Posted April 08 2014 - 09:40 PM

Remember guys, Vana isn't here this week, so asking dev-focused questions won't be particularly worthwhile!

As for the vision thing: The devs have stated before that the overall form of how Hawken works and looks with the Steam version is how it's going to be. There will be no enormous Ascension-style overhauls from this point forward. That of course doesn't mean new mechs, maps, and balance improvements won't happen - but things aren't going to be changing massively. This is the vision. We are in it.

Posted Image

#18 Dr_Freeze001

Dr_Freeze001

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts
  • LocationBelgium, GMT+1

Posted April 09 2014 - 02:40 AM

Do you like waffles_
Do you like pancakes_

Wat mechs would you like to see as a G2 version_

#19 kazuya989

kazuya989

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  • LocationDisguissed as Ninja_Goat

Posted April 09 2014 - 03:38 AM

Q What does the panel think about the clear move to punish pilots who leave games early _

Q Isn't punishing pilots who are already angry at something in game, simply going to make them stop playing _  
This game cannot sustain itself on it's "hard core" numbers (pre-steam), the casual market is a critical part of the player base is it not _

and

More worryingly the punishment of pilots who don't leave early,

1  Forced auto switching mid-game, even when your not dead,  my friend was switched as he collected EU, 30 minutes into a 33 minute siege game.  
How reasonably can he be expected to want to continue that game after investing so much time and effort into playing for the other team _

In addition it broke our 2 man party, we did finish the match, but then stopped playing Hawken for the day, as we didn't want to carry on.

Why should I care about any team i am part of, if at any minute I can get switched ___  It should remain a choice but with a bigger reward to incentive players.
How about 1 MC for every volunteered switch or X number of volunteered switches _
Or an achievement, or a unique emblem _

2.  I have deployed into a server in a 3 man party, only to have 1 of us auto switched on arrival.  
As  (1) We actually want to play together, and (2) We might be training or going for dailies  AND (3) It breaks the party immediately, most of the time it's far simpler to quit out and reform, how is this helping anyone _

If the party wasn't broken up then we might carry on for a round, but no point at all doing so right now.

Edited by kazuya989, April 09 2014 - 04:25 AM.

check out my uTube page

for videos of Hawken gameplay

#20 spo0n

spo0n

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted April 09 2014 - 05:08 AM

Why is the stream for last week taken down_

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users