HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Suggestions to improve the first time experience of new players (@ community and devs)

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 ReEvolve

ReEvolve

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted March 24 2014 - 12:30 PM

DISCLAIMER: This thread is NOT about the usual stuff like matchmaking, auto team balancing, changes to the economy etc. This thread is about useful suggestions that got buried between the rage and hype of the recent patches.

Last updated: 05.10.2014
Last added: "Add a slideshow to introduce the player to Hawken's story (and sell some novels)", "Use different measurements to make stats less confusing (weapon damage)", ""Give access to all mechs as test drive mechs in Offline TDM", "Add a mech difficulty rating to the purchase windows"

So, I've been asking the question "What are your ideas to improve the first time experience of new players_" a lot in the last time. I got a few different answers. I made my own list of suggestions based on what I heard in the streams/podcasts and based on what I read in the playhawken.com forums and Steam forums. If you have more useful suggestions please post them (or a link to them) in this thread and I'll add them accordingly! Please also leave a reply with which suggestions you wnat to see the most.

At the moment there are a few major problems (mathcmaking & auto team balancing) that make new players quit the game but I think that these topics were already covered by other threads. I'd like to focus on the improvement of the sloppy communication of important information to the player and give some other suggestions as well. Some things can be done by the community (com) but most of these suggestions would require the developers (dev) to make changes:
  • Emphasise the ability to unlock ingame content by leveling up (dev)
  • Add an explanation of the ingame item symbols to Laila's UI tutorial (dev)
  • Make the tips on the launch screen more visible (dev)
  • Use the title screen to guide players to the forums (dev)
  • Share the knowledge (com)
  • Improve the training section to communicate the gameplay mechanics of objective based game modes (dev)
  • Make the server region selection more visible (dev)
  • Give access to all mechs as test drive mechs in Offline TDM (dev)
  • Use VR training to help new players recognize different mechs (dev)
  • Use different measurements to make stats less confusing (weapon damage) (dev)
  • Emphasise the loss of HC and XP when leaving a match (dev)
  • Add a slideshow to introduce the player to Hawken's story (and sell some novels) (dev)
  • Add a mech difficulty rating to the purchase windows (dev)
Suggestions that were implemented in the game in some way up until now:
Spoiler

Emphasise the ability to unlock ingame content by leveling up (dev)

Problem: Unlockable ingame content such as weapons, items and internals are labeled with the "Unlock Early" label and do not show the option to buy it with HC later on.

Effect: New players get confused and think that ingame content can only be unlocked by purchasing it with MC and get the impression that Hawken is pay2win (example: thread 1)

Possible solution: Replace the "Unlock early" by a greyed out HC price and move the lock symbol to the HC price. It would look like this:

Posted Image
( ^ That image will be updated soon)

Add an explanation of the ingame item symbols to Laila's UI tutorials (dev)

Problem: Most new players don't recognize the symbols that indicate if an item is Universal/Popular/New.

Effect: These players don't know that there's a symbol that indicates that an item is universal and think that everything is universal.

Possible solution: Add a legend of the Universal/Popular/New symbols to every UI tutorial window. Here's one
example of how it would look like in the customizations menu:

Posted Image

Make the tips on the launch screen more visible (dev)

Problem: The tips are tucked away in lower left corner on the launch screen (the screen that lets you select a mech and spawn in a match). After asking around I found out that new players (and also lots of experienced players) don't even know that there are tips being displayed on that sceen at all.

Effect: The tips are 100% useless if nobody sees them.

Possible solution: Make these tips catch attention. Use a little blinking Laila-popup window. It would look like this:

Posted Image

Additionally these tips can be displayed on the loading screens as well. nepaca made a mock-up screen in his thread "gameplay tips/hints on loading screens".

Use the title screen to guide players to the forums (dev)

Problem: A few players didn't even realize that there's a forum on playhawken.com

Effect: They'll miss out on all of the sweet soccer live streams.

Possible solution: Add a label that makes the players aware of the official forums. It would look like this:

Posted Image

Share the knowledge (com)

Problem: New players aren't sure where to look for advice on specific mechs.

Effect: Lots of people calling stuff op/useless because they have no idea how to use it properly.

Possible solutions: Share the knowledge. There are lots of veterans who mastered their favorite mechs.

The Steam guide section would be great for these tips and strategies. So, if you want to share your information to enlighten the new players you can create a guide in Hawken's guide section. I recommend creating one even if there's already a guide about your favorite mech/strategy/weapon. The more information the better.

Having more mech videos might help new as well. Creating an up-to-date series of tutorial videos aimed at newbies (like the "Hawken mindgamer" videos) is probably asking for too much but it would be incredibly helpful.

Improve the training section to communicate the gameplay mechanics of objective based game modes (dev)

Problem: The simple tips when lanching a game of Siege or Missle Assault are severely lacking in terms of communicating what to do.

Effect: Most Players don't have much trouble getting into Missle Assault but Siege is a different story.  There are lots of thread about experienced players complaining about newbies not knowing what to do and there are also a few threads made by newbies asking for a better explanation of the Siege game mode.

Possible solutions: Keep the current tips but improve the ingame training section so new players get a more detailed explanation of the Siege game mode. I have two suggestions on how to do that.

Bringing back the tutorial videos for Siege and Missle Assault is definitely the easier solution. Adding a tutorial video section as a fourth tile in the training menu.  The tutorial videos have to be updated but their structure will stay pretty much the same. Heck, the voice over of the Missle Assault tutorial video doesn't even have to be changed.

Adding an interactive tutorial (with Laila) is an even better solution but it takes way more time (and requires more resources). This interactive tutorial would only explain the basics of Siege. For example:
take EU from an energy tree, destroy a mech and take his EU, use a depositor, see the battleship launching, launch a missle at an enemy battleship by capturing the AA.

Make the server region selection more visible (dev)

Problem: Lots of players don't realize that they can change the server region.

Effect: They play in the wrong server region and wonder why their ping is so high and complain about it on the (Steam) forums.

Possible solution: Make the server region sleection catch more attention by giving it it's own tile on the game mode screen. It would look like this:

Posted Image

If possible setting the default server region to the server region nearest to the player would be great as well (especially for people whao aren't sure which server region to pick for the best ping). (there's now a dialogue asking you to set your server region before you play the first time)

Give access to all mechs as test drive mechs in Offline TDM (dev)

Problem: New players have no idea what specific mechs and items play like. They spend their first HC (and MC) for stuff they don't like or can't use it effentiently yet.

Effect: Many new players are dissapointed because they bought a shiny new mech that doesn't fit their playstyle at all. That is the reason why so many new players ask for the ability to sell mechs/items.

Possible solution: The "Offline TDM" mode would be a great shooting range for players. New players can test mechs before they buy them and will have a much better understanding of how their future mech/weapon/item works when they have to decide between different mechs/weapons/items.

Use VR training to help new players recognize different mechs (dev)

Problem: Lots of players don't realize mechs can look differently due to customization or don't know how to identify a mech.

Effect: They get confused and think that "disguising" is pay2win since they don't know how to properly identify a customized mech.

Possible solutions: Use the VR training to help new players recognize different mechs. There are two methods to do this:

The easier solution is probably to mplement a series of help windows during the VR training that explain how to identify a mech even if it was customized. It would look like this:

Posted Image

The other method would be to show mech models having different customizations. It may be also benefitial to have actual mechs (costomized and normal) running around and asking the player to identify and kill only a specific mech class (for example only Bruisers) out of a larger group of different mechs.

Use different measurements to make stats less confusing (weapon damage) (dev)

Problem: The current weapon damage values seem to be the DPS of a weapon in relation to the weapon with the most DPS but nobody is really sure what the current numbers mean (thread 1, thread 2, thread 3, thread 4).

Effect: New players and experienced players alike get confused by these changes to the weapon damage stats.

Possible solution: Use actual stats instead of percentages. Use the "Damage per shot" value instead of "Damage per second" value.

Emphasise the loss of HC and XP when leaving a match (dev)

Problem: Some players do not think about how much HC and XP they loose if they abandon their team.

Effect: People miss out on HC and XP and get confused why they have to grind longer than others.

Possible solution: Display the least amount of HC and (total) XP that the player would get if the match ended right now. This might make a few players reconsider and stick with their team for the last few minutes of the match instead of quitting and loosing everything they earned so far. It could look like this:

Posted Image

Add a slideshow to introduce the player to Hawken's lore (and sell some novels) (dev)

Problem: There are many players that don't even know that there's a story behind Hawken. (thread 1, thread 2 and more)

Effect: New players often think that Hawken has no story since the story isn't told though the game but though the "Hawken: Genesis" and "Hawken: Melee" graphic novels.

Possible solution: Players can be introduced to Hawken's story by using a "simple" slideshow that shows the sample pages that are already available on the playhawken.com website at the start of the VR training. The slideshow could be made by using the existing "press spacebar to continue" windows. Every frame gets it's own window and clicking on the learn more slides could launch the respective page in the Steam overlay webbrowser. It could look like this:

Posted Image

Add a mech difficulty rating to the purchase windows (dev)

Problem: New players often don't know the different mechs yet and are often unsure if a mech is "rookie-firendly" or not when making the decision to buy a new mech. Some even think that more expensive mechs are better than cheaper mechs.

Effect: Players are disappointed with their purchased mech if it's harder to use than they imagined.

Possible solution: Adding a mech difficulty rating (1 to 5) to the purchase screen might help players to pick a class that is more suitable to their current level of skill and comprehension of game mechanics. A higher rating means that mech has a higher skill ceiling to master. As such newer players may find these mechs to be worse than others until they have mastered Hawken's game mechanics. It could look like this:

Posted Image

If possible the mech difficulty rating might also be useful in the garage/spawn screen for test drive mechs. If the "Give access to all mechs as test drive mechs in Offline TDM" suggestion ever gets implemented it would be useful for those mechs as well. It could look like this:
Spoiler

Example mech difficulty ratings:
Spoiler

Suggestions that were implemented in the game in some way up until now:
Spoiler

#2 weirdiolio

weirdiolio

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • LocationIn your basement

Posted March 24 2014 - 01:00 PM

I love this thread already.. . Love the empty map mode suggestion

#3 ReEvolve

ReEvolve

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted March 24 2014 - 01:03 PM

I'm going to reserve this post for later. :)

#4 h0B0

h0B0

Non Sequitur Leprechaun

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,143 posts
  • Location[delete for trolling] --defter

Posted March 24 2014 - 01:23 PM

Make turn cap less intrusive.

Remove vertical progression entirely.

Give access to all mechs and loadouts in offline/training mode.

Improve the sense of achievement from playing a match.

Click me! I dare you.

Posted Image

View Post[HWK]HUGHES, on March 15 2013 - 08:35 PM, said:

Oh don't always listen to h0B0. Lol.

#5 SparkyJJC

SparkyJJC

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • LocationThe country of tea and crumpets

Posted March 24 2014 - 01:30 PM

Posted Image

You have my support.
Posted Image

#6 Opicron

Opicron

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted March 24 2014 - 01:34 PM

Nice post ReEvolve (otlo_)
Posted Image#94 it used to be

#7 hendman

hendman

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,901 posts

Posted March 24 2014 - 01:35 PM

Here is another idea someone else posted: https://community.pl...-for-beginners/

#8 RunaPanda

RunaPanda

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts
  • LocationTrolling you where ever you go :3

Posted March 24 2014 - 02:41 PM

VR training to help new players recognize different mechs per class. I've noticed a huge amount of people arguing that different part cosmetics for the classes are an unfair advantage because it "confuses" players. This sort of thing will help quell fights here on the forums about the cosmetics like the one that broke out recently.
Intel i7 5960X @ 4.7Ghz| DDR4  3200 @ CAS 14|SLIed Quad GTX 980|Kingspec 1TB PCIe SSD/ 4x 3TB HDDs|Logitech G502 Proteus Core|Razer DeathStalker Ultimate|Occulus Rift|3xAsus ROG Swift PG278Q|Asus ROG Xonar Phoebus|Wrapped up in a sexy Corsair Obsidian 900D w/ Custom Laser etching

#9 ReEvolve

ReEvolve

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted March 25 2014 - 03:13 PM

View Posth0B0, on March 24 2014 - 01:23 PM, said:

Remove vertical progression entirely.

That's a valid suggestion but I think that is a major change in the game's system and probably deserves it's own thread.

Make turn cap less intrusive.

Improve the sense of achievement from playing a match.

These tems are kind of broad. Do you you have a some ideas how to make the turn cap less intrusive and how to improve the sense of achievement_

Will be added soon.

View PostOpicron, on March 24 2014 - 01:34 PM, said:

Thanks. What does "otlo" mean_ :P

View Posthendman, on March 24 2014 - 01:35 PM, said:

Here is another idea someone else posted: https://community.pl...-for-beginners/

I'll think of how to do that. Maybe include it in a description...

View PostRunaPanda, on March 24 2014 - 02:41 PM, said:

VR training to help new players recognize different mechs per class. I've noticed a huge amount of people arguing that different part cosmetics for the classes are an unfair advantage because it "confuses" players. This sort of thing will help quell fights here on the forums about the cosmetics like the one that broke out recently.

Will be added soon.

[17:51] <+foxtrotfire> Something that tells them that everything except cosmetics is purchasable with HC
[17:52] <+foxtrotfire> so they don't go "hurr durr p2w" when they first start and instantly quit
[17:54] <ReEvolve> Hm, yeah maybe showing a screen with Laila explaining that fact
[17:54] <+foxtrotfire> exactly

Already in the game. Looks like lots of people skip the explanations... :rolleyes:

[22:01] <bacon_avenger> ReEvolve, I'd add something about pointing out the region selector.  Seems that a lot of people miss that, jump in, and thik the game sucks/is laggy because they are playing east coast US when they should be playing in UK, if you know what I mean

Was added today.

Edited by ReEvolve, March 25 2014 - 03:34 PM.

#10 Crminimal

Crminimal

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted March 26 2014 - 10:42 AM

First off, Awesome thread!

Something I would like to see.

Clearer tooltips on weapons/abilities, Things like inverse heat stat, and lack of stats/duration/cooldown time on abilities is very obtuse and confusing.

Also it still says in the tooltip that you can increase the effectiveness of your ability by ranking up. Wasn't that removed_

Numbers and stats abstract as they are, is still a lot clearer and simpler to get your head around then trial and error.
Especially factoring in player misinterpretation due to having english as their second language.
Having the wrong idea about a mech you purchase can severely diminish your gaming experience.

0,02$

#11 comic_sans

comic_sans

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,116 posts
  • LocationI dunno!

Posted March 26 2014 - 03:28 PM

This is exactly what I clicked the thread to say.  A cute little tongue-in-cheek warning or canonical explanation would be lovely; something that calls attention to pilot preference for visuals while reminding the player that there is no statistical advantage for this.

#12 Phantasmo

Phantasmo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted March 27 2014 - 03:25 AM

People come, they get pwned, then leave the game.
And that's all folks.

Hawken is much more complex than the average FPS and it's probably the one that demands the most teamwork and tactical thinking.

Your CoD or CS tactics will not help you here.
It's a very small niche game.

It's not like the game doesn't explain the rules clearly. It's just that it demands a way of thinking that the average Joe out there simply ignores, and it's also very  demanding when it comes to actual FPS skills.

And, since there's no campaign mode, people doesn't get engaged with the world and history. There's no way of developing your skills and tactical mindset out of PvP games, which some people find stressing.

Edited by Phantasmo, March 27 2014 - 03:26 AM.

#13 Siopao

Siopao

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted March 27 2014 - 05:18 AM

Well, having a sort of "accolade" system like in CoD could help the rookies feel like they contributed to the team. Its pretty much handing people cookies for free, but those cookies motivate them to stay and get better at the game.

View PostPhantasmo, on March 27 2014 - 03:25 AM, said:

People come, they get pwned, then leave the game.
And that's all folks.

Hawken is much more complex than the average FPS and it's probably the one that demands the most teamwork and tactical thinking.
Maybe a way to bridge the skill gap between newbies and veterans is to allow easier access to the mechs/weapons that require "less skill". The hellfire missile that is on the rocketeer/bruiser comes to mind.

Edited by Siopao, March 27 2014 - 05:19 AM.

#14 Phantasmo

Phantasmo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted March 27 2014 - 05:43 AM

View PostSiopao, on March 27 2014 - 05:18 AM, said:

Maybe a way to bridge the skill gap between newbies and veterans is to allow easier access to the mechs/weapons that require "less skill". The hellfire missile that is on the rocketeer/bruiser comes to mind.

__
The problem is not the skill gap between newbies and veterans.
The problem is just the game itself is very complex, much more than other FPS, and most shooter players are not looking for this kind of  mechanics.

Hawken's fast paced action demands better-than-average FPS skills, while team action requires some tactical thinking of the kind no other game teaches its players.
CoD, SS, BF etc. None of them teaches team work, look for your mates, positioning, watch your flanks etc because in none of those games do flanks matter, they have a very fast TTK (one or two headshots and you're done) etc etc.

Hawken is so, so much different from other FPS games, it should have its own category.
In a nutshell: it's a different game, and there aren't that many players looking for this model.

#15 nepacaka

nepacaka

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,762 posts
  • Locationin "KGB" headquarters, near with Baba Ji

Posted March 27 2014 - 06:19 AM

Possible solution True solution: Please add an "or" between the two buttons so new players are able to recognize that ingame content can be bought with either currency. It would look like this:
Spoiler
really, many ppl think they need both...

also. one of my ideas here. About game mechanical tips.
https://community.pl.../page__hl__tips

good topic, devs need see this, and working on their mistakes.

#16 Houruck

Houruck

Final Siege Boss

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,190 posts
  • LocationBudapest, Hungary (UTC+2)

Posted March 27 2014 - 07:12 AM

Nicely done indeed.

View PostReEvolve, on March 25 2014 - 03:13 PM, said:

View PostOpicron, on March 24 2014 - 01:34 PM, said:

Thanks. What does "otlo" mean_ :P
Otlo is a Lithuanian member of Vodka People.

Knight of the Holy Tree

CRITICAL ASSIST
United in Diversity, Divided by Zero

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Spoiler

#17 h0B0

h0B0

Non Sequitur Leprechaun

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,143 posts
  • Location[delete for trolling] --defter

Posted March 28 2014 - 05:04 AM

Giving the players actual stats instead of misleading them with percentages that have no context.

Make the game less nickel and dimey and remove the price of hud customization.

Click me! I dare you.

Posted Image

View Post[HWK]HUGHES, on March 15 2013 - 08:35 PM, said:

Oh don't always listen to h0B0. Lol.

#18 ReEvolve

ReEvolve

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted March 30 2014 - 07:45 PM

Whoops, sry for the late reply! :)

Was added today.

Was added today.

View PostCrminimal, on March 26 2014 - 10:42 AM, said:

Also it still says in the tooltip that you can increase the effectiveness of your ability by ranking up. Wasn't that removed_

That's probably not intended. I recommend to capture a screensto(s) and open a thread in the Bug Reports forum.

View PostCrminimal, on March 26 2014 - 10:42 AM, said:

Numbers and stats abstract as they are, is still a lot clearer and simpler to get your head around then trial and error.

View Posth0B0, on March 28 2014 - 05:04 AM, said:

Giving the players actual stats instead of misleading them with percentages that have no context.

Was added today.

View Postnepacaka, on March 27 2014 - 06:19 AM, said:

also. one of my ideas here. About game mechanical tips.
https://community.pl.../page__hl__tips

Modified one of the existing entries to add this one.

View Posth0B0, on March 28 2014 - 05:04 AM, said:

Make the game less nickel and dimey and remove the price of hud customization.

Hm, is that really a concern of new players though_ I haven't read about new players complaining about the HUD customization yet (maybe I missed it). Don't get me wrong I'd like having completely free HUD customization too but this seems to be a change that is unrelated to the first time experience.

Edited by ReEvolve, March 30 2014 - 07:45 PM.

#19 Crocket101

Crocket101

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted March 30 2014 - 08:39 PM

Too lazy to read through all the posts, so if I repost an idea, my apologies:

-Maybe it should default on the nearby servers instead of the east servers_ As well, showing the population inside the servers could be handy

-Introduction to other mechs besides the test drive thing could be cool, not every mech of course, but some solid mechs like perhaps berserker, bruiser... and maybe a vastly different mech that is also somewhat popular such as technicians. Something like a TF2 tutorial where you don't get to only play soldier. (The other classes' tutorial should be more of a choice) Oh, and remind those people that turn cap may be different on a C-class as opposed to A-class :)

-The thingy that tells you where you get hit from is kinda glitchy from my experience. It would randomly show people attacking from me when in fact they weren't and they're actually nailing me from the front

-The emphasis of teamwork could be explained!

-Yes, I know they are at first limited to TDM, then eventually move onto other modes, but the other mode could also be explained in other tutorials methinks. (I know there are quite a bit of people raging over "clueless" siege players.)

-Remind them that they can't use the repair drone while they're being attacked_ :P (Repair mechanics explanation)

-Tooltips on some of the graphic settings would be awesome, and would probably cut down on people saying "why is he so blurry_ I can't even see him." (stuff like bloom, lens flare...)

Edited by Crocket101, March 30 2014 - 08:40 PM.

#20 ReEvolve

ReEvolve

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted April 06 2014 - 03:01 PM

View PostCrocket101, on March 30 2014 - 08:39 PM, said:

-Maybe it should default on the nearby servers instead of the east servers_ As well, showing the population inside the servers could be handy

Was added to the existing suggestion "Make the server region selection more visible" since it's also about setting the server region.

-Introduction to other mechs besides the test drive thing could be cool, not every mech of course, but some solid mechs like perhaps berserker, bruiser... and maybe a vastly different mech that is also somewhat popular such as technicians. Something like a TF2 tutorial where you don't get to only play soldier. (The other classes' tutorial should be more of a choice) Oh, and remind those people that turn cap may be different on a C-class as opposed to A-class :)

Hm, they did a few Mech Mechanics videos but I guess there won't be any new ones for quite a while. If players are interested in certain mechs they should checkout the Steam guides and forums (guiding players to the forums was already added).

-The thingy that tells you where you get hit from is kinda glitchy from my experience. It would randomly show people attacking from me when in fact they weren't and they're actually nailing me from the front

Hm, maybe you were hit by a long range weapon or a Infiltrator or a Predator cloaked and got away. Anyway, this more or less a "bug report" and not a suggestion.

-The emphasis of teamwork could be explained!
-Yes, I know they are at first limited to TDM, then eventually move onto other modes, but the other mode could also be explained in other tutorials methinks. (I know there are quite a bit of people raging over "clueless" siege players.)

Siege / MA tutorials are already on the list. :)

-Remind them that they can't use the repair drone while they're being attacked_ :P (Repair mechanics explanation)

The VR training already has a session about repairing. It tells you that you are defenseless while repairing and that you should look around while repairing.

-Tooltips on some of the graphic settings would be awesome, and would probably cut down on people saying "why is he so blurry_ I can't even see him." (stuff like bloom, lens flare...)

Hm, can you elaborate how to explain these options_ A lens flare is a lense flare... :huh:

Edited by ReEvolve, April 06 2014 - 03:06 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users