HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Suggestions to improve the first time experience of new players (@ community and devs)

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 Crocket101

Crocket101

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted April 06 2014 - 04:08 PM

Welp, since most of my suggestions are void except for the last one, I'll elaborate as you say :) (or at least try to)

Tooltip is a box of text that would display info about the settings on something (e.g. when you mouse over motion blur, a box of text would pop up saying something like "motion blur can be taxing on your GPU, and is created when moving around..." "bloom makes things brighter." "lens flare makes the sun GLARINGLY BRIGHT!!!")

Basically, what I'm saying is, I want an in-depth explanation for most things

#22 ticklemyiguana

ticklemyiguana

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,121 posts

Posted April 09 2014 - 03:23 PM

[edit] lol what do I even think sometimes_

Edited by ticklemyiguana, May 08 2014 - 10:55 PM.

Posted Image

#23 ticklemyiguana

ticklemyiguana

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,121 posts

Posted April 09 2014 - 09:24 PM

I have a suggestion to add. I've been playing for over 60 hours, and I still have to refer to an external weapons chart to make my purchases, because I have absolutely no idea what the in game weapons stats even mean. The TOW does not do 40 damage. I've heard it's based off of percentage points but... what_ I'd like some relevant numbers in the game, please.
Posted Image

#24 KilleR_OrigiNs

KilleR_OrigiNs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • LocationLast Sighted: Praxis Valley

Posted April 09 2014 - 10:11 PM

View PostPhantasmo, on March 27 2014 - 05:43 AM, said:

Hawken is so, so much different from other FPS games, it should have its own category.
In a nutshell: it's a different game, and there aren't that many players looking for this model.

I'm afraid I must differ with you there.

Two games that come to mind as being far more difficult and far more team oriented: Natural Selection 2, and Dystopia.

The difference is that Hawken, with no offense intended, is lower on the totem of the three games in difficulty.

What I mean to say is that perhaps standard FPS shooters are easier, but Hawken isn't top of the line difficult.

--

As a suggestion, I wouldn't mind seeing something done more with the story of Hawken in game. For most players, the entire game is just Team vs Team or Deathmatch, and when I didn't know anything about it, none of the maps meant anything.

A small cut scene in the beginning to replace the current one that shows more of the destruction of the planet and such would be welcomed, but I doubt that would be too easy to make.

Instead, why not include that into the VR_ Rather than making it Virtual, why not out in the Bazaar map, or Last Eco. Put people into the story more.
Posted Image

eth0 said:

are you made of cupcakes and puppies_

View PostSylhiri, on July 13 2014 - 10:29 PM, said:

Never underestimate the power of the epeen.

View PostSatelliteJack, on July 13 2014 - 10:46 PM, said:

Droppin' wisdom bombs

#25 ReEvolve

ReEvolve

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted May 08 2014 - 05:13 PM

This thread was updated just now and is finally back from the dead! Ready to add some more suggestions!

Posted Image

Posted Image

View Postticklemyiguana, on April 09 2014 - 09:24 PM, said:

I have a suggestion to add. I've been playing for over 60 hours, and I still have to refer to an external weapons chart to make my purchases, because I have absolutely no idea what the in game weapons stats even mean. The TOW does not do 40 damage. I've heard it's based off of percentage points but... what_ I'd like some relevant numbers in the game, please.

Already included in the "Use different measurements to make stats less confusing (weapon damage)" suggestion. :)

View PostKilleR_OrigiNs, on April 09 2014 - 10:11 PM, said:

As a suggestion, I wouldn't mind seeing something done more with the story of Hawken in game. For most players, the entire game is just Team vs Team or Deathmatch, and when I didn't know anything about it, none of the maps meant anything.

A small cut scene in the beginning to replace the current one that shows more of the destruction of the planet and such would be welcomed, but I doubt that would be too easy to make.

Instead, why not include that into the VR_ Rather than making it Virtual, why not out in the Bazaar map, or Last Eco. Put people into the story more.

That might be a bit hard to implement but I agree that there should be something to introduce players to the story. I thought of using a slideshow with panels from the Hawken Genesis graphic novel to introduce players to Hawken's story and get them interested in the graphic novels.

#26 ticklemyiguana

ticklemyiguana

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,121 posts

Posted May 08 2014 - 10:49 PM

Here you go.
https://community.pl...ons-for-hawken/
Posted Image

#27 ReEvolve

ReEvolve

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted May 09 2014 - 05:15 PM

View Postticklemyiguana, on May 08 2014 - 10:49 PM, said:

I added your idea of mech difficulty settings but I don't want to use "stars" since those are already used in the server browser. New players might confuse the mech rating stars (more stars = more difficult) and the server rating stars (more stars = better match). For my mock-ups I used simple numbers. Those might look a bit dull but hey, these are just mock-ups after all.

#28 Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • LocationBeing a Turnip.

Posted July 27 2014 - 08:51 AM

Posted Image

Fredator_ I see mah Fredator :D
Posted ImageWhoever said Turnips couldn't play Video Games was wrong. Probably.
Spoiler

#29 SoldierHobbes11

SoldierHobbes11

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted August 02 2014 - 11:11 PM

Gonna necro this simply because all of this is awesome. That and I definitely agree that the game should be a bit more user friendly. Not saying that the game should be easier, just that the information be presented in a much clearer manner and more easily accessible. The main problem that newer players have isn't a lack of ability, it's just a lack of information about the game's mechanics.

Edited by SoldierHobbes11, August 02 2014 - 11:14 PM.

Need help with Hawken_ Click here for my Handy Hawken Handbook!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users