HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Vanguard - Overview and Gameplay

Video

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Abidus

Abidus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted April 10 2014 - 01:50 PM

Got another video for you, this time covering the Vanguard. I usually steer away from Heavy mechs, as I feel their performance is too team reliant and I pretty much always play with randoms, but there's some nice moments in there.

Let me know what you think!

Transcript:

Hey guys, Abidus here, and I've got another Hawken mech overview for you. In this episode, we're going to be taking a look at the Vanguard. The vanguard is a c-class heavy mech specializing in close-range sustained combat, combining the intimidating close range presence of heavy mech with above average mobility, albeit with the smallest armour pool of any heavy mech.

--WEAPONS--

In terms of weaponry, the Vanguard is equiped with the reliable Sub-machine cannon in his primary slot by default. This is a great all round weapon boasting a high rate of fire, decent damage and range, and low heat generation, allowing for sustained enemy suppression at close to medium ranges. Pilots also have the option of unlocking and using the mini-flak cannon at level 3, which is essentially a powerful short ranged semi automatic shotgun, or the Point-D vulcan at level 5, which is a powerful, high rate of fire machine gun that can absolutely wreck other mechs in close quarters, but requires a revving up period before firing and has a limited effective range compared to the sub-machine cannon.

As for his secondary weapon, the Vanguard is equipped with the grenade launcher. The grenade launcher is one of my favourite secondaries in the game because of its high damage and versatility. It fires a greande at a low arc and at a low velocity, giving you a lot of control over where and how you want to engage the enemy. You can bounce shots around a corner, off the ground, or try for a direct hit. What really seperates good pilots from great ones, however, is the effective usage of the premature detonation mechanic. After firing the grenade, you can detonate it at any point by simply right clicking again. This is especially useful against the lighter moving mechs, particularly airborne targets.

--ABILITY (Turret Mode)--

As with all heavy mechs, the Vanguard has the ability to enter Turret mode. Whilst in turret mode, the Vanguard recieves 50% less damage from the front, but also suffers from mobility penalties as well as receiving 50% more damage if it's attacked from the rear. What's special about The vanguard's, however, is that it can move faster whilst in turret mode than other heavy mechs. Turret mode in general is a tricky ability to get comfortable with, as activating it at the wrong time will put you at a severe disadvantage, while on the other hand, the correct application of the ability will make you a terrifying and fast moving presence in close quarter environments, particularly if you have the support of a friendly technician.

The key, in my opinion, is map awareness. You need to know where your enemies are and how you are going to be engaging them, as well as knowing where your allies are and if your flank is covered or not. Going into turret mode when you're out in the open with no support is just a bad idea. And while the increased armour might make you feel confident enough to take on several enemies at once, you will quickly learn that that is a surefire way to get killed without having any real impact. IF you find yourself in situation where you are outnumbered and can't get away safely, stick yourself in a corner, bunker up, and try to do as much damage as you possibly can before going down.

--HEAVY MECH METAGAME--

In my opinion, heavy mechs occupy a special role in the Hawken metagame. Heavy mechs should be considered force multipliers, not the backbone of a team. They thrive in a teamwork environment, empowering the team as whole, and do not perform as well on their own, suffering significantly against the vastly superior mobility of light and medium mechs. Needless to say, the technician is your best friend, and will that pair alone is often times enough to make the difference between a winning team composition and a losing one.

--

So, what do you guys think of the Vanguard_ in fact, what do you guys think of heavy mechs in general, compared to medium and light mechs. Do you think they can compete well enough, or are they automatically at a disadvantage because of their lack of mobility_ Let me know what you guys think.

Edited by Abidus, April 11 2014 - 02:17 AM.

#2 SectionZ

SectionZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • LocationA-Town

Posted April 10 2014 - 05:00 PM

This could very well just be me, but when I see a post about some Mech "Overview" and it's nothing but a youtube link, I just give it a pass.  Even if Vanguard is one of the Mechs I am interested in once I cap off Infiltrator.  

A quick check and it seems all your threads are dumping off a youtube link and hoping for the best, aside from asking if you can monetize your videos (Which to be fair, you only started putting up videos after being told you can't. Many would not bother after that).

Give a decent writeup of your experiences alongside it, and you'll have my attention and views.

Edited by SectionZ, April 10 2014 - 05:01 PM.

#3 Abidus

Abidus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted April 11 2014 - 02:13 AM

View PostSectionZ, on April 10 2014 - 05:00 PM, said:

This could very well just be me, but when I see a post about some Mech "Overview" and it's nothing but a youtube link, I just give it a pass.  Even if Vanguard is one of the Mechs I am interested in once I cap off Infiltrator.  

A quick check and it seems all your threads are dumping off a youtube link and hoping for the best, aside from asking if you can monetize your videos (Which to be fair, you only started putting up videos after being told you can't. Many would not bother after that).

Give a decent writeup of your experiences alongside it, and you'll have my attention and views.

Thank you for your input. I appreciate your concerns, and I can understand where you are coming from. Let me try and explain my point of view.

First off, I need to clarify that I do these videos for two reasons only: 1) because I love this game and I think it deserves more coverage than its getting, and 2) for fun. Like your pseudo-investigation already concluded, I do not and will not make any money off of these videos. I already have a full-time job as well as various real life obligations that I am constantly attending to. Whenever I make one of these videos, it's because I had some time to actually play the game.

Despite the game's high production values, there is an abysmal lack of information and/or content about it; most youtube videos are outdated, even the wikis are inaccurate and not up to date. My objective is to give an exposition into some aspects of the game that are not immediately approachable or even comprehensible by a new or prospective player. The video medium provides a great way of reaching new players and attracting them with some interesting gameplay footage, while teaching existing players a thing or two that they might not have known before.

Incidentally, the reason I refer to the videos as "Overviews" rather than "reviews" is because they do not go into great detail, but rather provide a quick outline of each mechs pros and cons, as well as my thoughts, in the interest of time.

I can understand how it might seem like I'm just dumping videos and "hoping for the best" as you put it, but its not for a lack of caring or anything like that. I often times just don't have the time or energy to constantly keep the threads going. If you check my posts you'd see that I do engage my "audience" and try to get a conversation going (when there is one in the first place, some mechs seem to be better conversation pieces than others).

ANYWAY,

I updated the original post with the transcript that I wrote for the video. In the next one, I'll be sure to further expand on the written element, for those averse to youtube links. I hope this will make you reconsider giving the videos a chance.

(sorry for the wall of text)

#4 kanamisan

kanamisan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted April 11 2014 - 05:27 AM

I am glad your making videos of this, keep up the good work keep spreading the word.

#5 SectionZ

SectionZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • LocationA-Town

Posted April 11 2014 - 02:17 PM

That was very insightful to your reasons, along with a nice quick write up of your Vanguard experience.  I was guessing you were not in it for the youtube pocket change seeing how your videos did not start until after it turned out to not be the case, good to see I guessed right.

Thanks for such a nice response.  I have since watched the video and it was pretty good for a quick look, with touches like not skipping the Grenade Mechanics just because you have already covered mechs that use the Grenade Launcher in other videos.  I'll check out the other ones later.

#6 driedjello

driedjello

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 915 posts
  • LocationOmaha

Posted April 14 2014 - 10:08 PM

Very nice aiming skills!  Good video and thank you for promoting this jewel of a game.
Posted Image
"...Then I presume the complex murder algorithm that masquerades as his cerebral cortex was done analyzing my panicked stumbling and he flattened me."  -Amidatelion on Xacius.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Video

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users