HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

A Killer Guide to Playing with a Predator

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 KilleR_OrigiNs

KilleR_OrigiNs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • LocationLast Sighted: Praxis Valley

Posted April 29 2014 - 07:55 PM

Hello!

So I've played a lot of rounds recently, as I've been getting good with the Predator, that have ended more quickly than they should for a couple of reasons.

-Players stray too far from their teams.
-Players bunch up into tight-nit groups and don't actually attack anything.
-Players have too much support, and not enough assault class. (Too much potatoes for your meat.)
-Players leave their heavies to die, then they die without support.

I say all of these things from the perspective of the Predator. The 'useless' mech, does a whole lot more than most are willing to say. To say the least, my k/d ratio has rarely gone below a 2.0.

As of such, I decided to make a guide to help newer players deal with Predators, and in all honesty do better in Hawken in total. (Unless you're playing DM, then you're on your own.)

[font=play, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]How to Kill a Predator[/font]

[font=play, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]One thing to keep in mind is that the Predator, in most cases is terrible in a front-line fight/situation. Please note the underline. If you want to minimize the player stance on the AA or at an EU station, focus on the Predator. In most cases they will simply run when confronted, unless said player knows what they're doing; they will stand their ground and territory.[/font]

[font=play, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]We still have to dissect the Predator a bit further to better understand its nature and design.[/font]
[font=play, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]All Predators come with the standard mine thrower known as the EOC Predator. But the most important tool is the Breacher. It is the Predators default main weapon and packs a punch. More information on stats, specials, and usage of the weapons can be found in the Ultimate Predator Guide written by Lightangel112 and Meraple.[/font]

[font=play, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Why is the breacher to be feared_ It can be fired as either a shotgun or a rifle round with charge up. Most good Predators will lead with the double shot, which consists of a rifle round, then a shotgun round, as it allows for maximum damage output in the least amount of time. This is a great tactic for major damage, but the major reason to fear the Breacher is as it implies.[/font]

[font=play, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]The Breacher can fire through Shields and Blockades. The Predator is meant to hunt you down, and find you when you're at your weakest. Shields are not 100% safe and neither are Blockades. Evade to a large distance or get behind your teammates. This will assuredly protect far more than a Shield or a Blockade would. They may still decide to go after you, but not without trading their life in exchange for yours, kill for kill. The Breacher can also fire through enemies, but your teammates will soak up more damage than either type of defense item.[/font]

[font=play, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]The 8 mines can be laid down for traps or spread across the ground for area control. Together the mines deal enough damage to kill a single A class, cripple a B class, and weaken a C class mech. This is useful, as if you see no mines, and know there is a predator on the opposing team, that means there is either a trap for you and your teammates, or that the Predator is using them in CQC.[/font]

[font=play, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Do not follow a Predator; there’s never a Predator firing at you without a reason and purpose. I say never as you can't ever be sure that said Predator isn't trying to lead you into a trap or just firing at you. To deal with this type of Predator, you want to counter flank and flank hard. That means to go from every direction that you can think of and have at least one player assisting you; this will in most cases ensure a dead Predator or one that is on the run. Also note that mines can be destroyed usually with hitscan and any other AOE weaponry, at the moment some pucks can be bugged and not be burst.[/font]

[font=play, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Predators that know what they’re doing (Newer Predator pilots will usually just engage anything that moves around them) will change their tactics often too become unpredictable. They will sometimes leave traps, other times stalk you, and sometimes they will join the front-line offensive. So if there is a Predator on the front-lines focus fire. The enemy team will be down a mech, and the Predator gets a death added to them, and if they run the enemy team is still down a mech, if only temporarily.[/font]

[font=play, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Things to remember:[/font]
[font=play, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Predator pilots in most cases like to premeditate. They want you at your weakest; at this point in time is when you should be most vigilant. Remember they can see you through walls and will stalk you large distances to ensure kills. Don't stray from your team and you've countered this already.[/font]
[font=play, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Predators focus on kills and not on full frontal assaults, they will not engage you or they will be hesitant if you have backup. When you are alone is the most dangerous situation to be in, so stay with your team.[/font]

[font=play, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Predators don’t have 100% invisibility and can be seen easily with practice. You’re looking for a moving blur and even when not moving, the blurry distortion can still be seen in most cases. Don't rely on your radar too much that you can't see a stealthy enemy nearby or even in front of you.[/font]

[font=play, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Use the environment to your advantage. Good Predators will do this often and so should you. Look for cover to hide behind, avoid places that are easy to get into but not out off, this includes hallways and anything to make killing you easier for the enemy, and most importantly you will need an exit strategy / plan. A Predator should always have an exit; otherwise they won't live for very long.[/font]

[font=play, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]These are not set in stone and are subject to change, alteration, or addition at any point in time.[/font]

[font=play, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]How to Use a Predator on your Team.[/font]

[font=play, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]This is not how to play as a Predator. That guide is linked below.[/font]

[font=play, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Again, if you have read this far you understand core concepts of playing a predator and how to beat one. You should also see its flaws and know where it needs help.[/font]

[font=play, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Predators cannot fight most competent players in open combat solo. A good predator will seldom stray into open combat, unless they want to fool the enemy. If you see a predator on the fronts, help them out. Actually covering for them due to them being a weaker 1v1 mech, the player will thank you for your efforts. A good Predator will then use this sense of security to theirs and ultimately your teams’ advantage.[/font]

[font=play, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Predators seldom stand on points. Most other players consider this a weakness, but when the enemy team is constantly down one or two mechs, it's more often than not that players doing. Your Predator will probably get into tussles they can't handle and will need help, so give it to them. A Predator that is disheartened by a bad score is a Predator that’s not in their A game, so when they call for back up, they really do need it A.S.A.P.[/font]

[font=play, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Predator traps are usually well hidden and make it harder for the enemy to enter an area without instant losses. If you see a bunch of baddies and a prepped Predator trap, lead those suckers into it. Make them take the other side of the AA or force them away from the empty side. The Predator gets a kill and you don't get killed in the process. Scratching each other's backs as it were.[/font]

[font=play, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]If a Predator player is new, it’s obvious most times that they are, as they won't be getting high in their score rating and will die often. Most people, who have a limited understanding of the mech, will complain about it being weak and useless, this is normal. Best thing you can do is to support this player. By helping them out and covering for them more, they'll seldom leave your side as they will probably think the Predator to be an Assault class mech. This can be beneficial as well, as they will have your back and always help you find your enemies whereabouts.[/font]

[font=play, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]A final tip: If a Predator is injured and severely so, you may want to go the distance and take them down or get to their aid and cover them. Chances are they've been doing the same for you, hunting down your weakened getaway kills or covering you by taking that hail merry TOW rocket to the face.

I really do hope this helps new players with understanding the Predator better. It's a very fun mech, and more challenging than most other mechs. (I say most, as I'm still a novice to Hawken, and have yet to gather all of the other mechs. (I like my pink HUD though...))
[/font]

[font=play, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Sources:[/font]
https://community.pl...or/#entry456436[font=play, helvetica, arial, sans-serif],  Questions on recent patch. Weapons updates.[/font]
https://community.pl...redator-guide/[font=play, helvetica, arial, sans-serif] Ultimate Predator Guide - Lightangel112 - Meraple[/font]
https://community.pl...atch-of-hawken/[font=play, helvetica, arial, sans-serif],  Hijinks_The_Turtle's Opinion Thread[/font]

Edited by KilleR_OrigiNs, April 30 2014 - 05:35 AM.

Posted Image

eth0 said:

are you made of cupcakes and puppies_

View PostSylhiri, on July 13 2014 - 10:29 PM, said:

Never underestimate the power of the epeen.

View PostSatelliteJack, on July 13 2014 - 10:46 PM, said:

Droppin' wisdom bombs

#2 Meraple

Meraple

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted April 29 2014 - 11:57 PM

KilleR_OrigiNs, on April 29 2014 - 07:55 PM, said:

[font=play, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]This is not how to play as a Predator. That guide is linked below.[/font]

Am I a fuzzy bunny or is there really no link_

[font=play, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Predators cannot fight most competent players in open combat solo. A good predator will seldom stray into open combat, unless they want to fool the enemy.[/font]

I encountered AmpliFIRE playing his Predator, he was playing it like his Salt, and doing really well.
I'd love to see AmpliFIRE's Predator vs Hrono's Salt.
Would be pretty interesting.

Other then that first thing, it's a really good guide.
If you're indeed a rather novice player, I'll have to congratulate you on your knowledge of the Predator.
Not many people know how to play with it, and most of them are rather experienced and have most of the mechs.

I'll tell Light to get a link to this topic in our Predator guide.
You have my compliments for making such a great guide.

Posted Image

Spoiler

#3 KilleR_OrigiNs

KilleR_OrigiNs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted April 30 2014 - 01:13 AM

Meraple, on April 29 2014 - 11:57 PM, said:

Am I a fuzzy bunny or is there really no link_

[font=play, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Predators cannot fight most competent players in open combat solo. A good predator will seldom stray into open combat, unless they want to fool the enemy.[/font]

I encountered AmpliFIRE playing his Predator, he was playing it like his Salt, and doing really well.
I'd love to see AmpliFIRE's Predator vs Hrono's Salt.
Would be pretty interesting.

Fixed the source issue. It was in my earlier edition of the guide, prior to Lightangel's edits.

And though it is possible to do very well in combat with the Predator (I've manage to take down two C's on my own before), it's just not something I do often, nor is it practical for more novice Predators such as myself. I went off of what I do more often than not, and I avoid the main fight like the plague (Unless it's to gain that false sense of security bit.)

I will say that Lightangel did alter and edit quit a bit from the original, condensing and rephrasing things that I had made to be too long, or adding more helpful hints to something I hadn't described quite well. However a good portion of this is my own, and I very much appreciate it. ^-^

Edited by KilleR_OrigiNs, April 30 2014 - 01:16 AM.

Posted Image

eth0 said:

Droppin' wisdom bombs

#4 Dominus_Bellum

Dominus_Bellum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted April 30 2014 - 01:26 AM

Same here with that AmpliFIRE guy. He definately engaged in front line combat with his Pred and I got wasted OFTEN.
Would be fun to have him post a vid of his action :D

Edited by Dominus_Bellum, April 30 2014 - 01:26 AM.

#5 Lightangel112

Lightangel112

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted April 30 2014 - 04:41 AM

Meraple, on April 29 2014 - 11:57 PM, said:

Other then that first thing, it's a really good guide.
If you're indeed a rather novice player, I'll have to congratulate you on your knowledge of the Predator.
Not many people know how to play with it, and most of them are rather experienced and have most of the mechs.

I'll tell Light to get a link to this topic in our Predator guide.
You have my compliments for making such a great guide.
Well done, you've written a very good, and has very good advice, written from an early predator player perspective and can help those who are either novices, adepts and also those who are at the intermediate level with the predator. Your insights into this mechs capabilities shows good understanding, knowledge and application. You also have my compliments on a very well put together guide. If I have your permission I would like too add it to the Ultimate Predator Guide. I'll make a section for it so it can fit.

PS: Special thanks to Fallenangel112 for editing and revising this guide. This is a typo -_- fix pls.

Edited by Lightangel112, April 30 2014 - 04:49 AM.

View PostMeraple, on June 01 2014 - 11:54 AM, said:

If you want to be a Professional Yolodriver just go with DETs and the rest EMPs.

#6 KilleR_OrigiNs

KilleR_OrigiNs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted April 30 2014 - 05:39 AM

Lightangel112, on April 30 2014 - 04:41 AM, said:

If I have your permission I would like too add it to the Ultimate Predator Guide. I'll make a section for it so it can fit.

PS: Special thanks to Fallenangel112 for editing and revising this guide. This is a typo -_- fix pls.
You absolutely have my permission, if anything I'm honored to have it in your amazing guide.
Posted Image

eth0 said:

Droppin' wisdom bombs

#7 Lightangel112

Lightangel112

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted April 30 2014 - 05:56 AM

KilleR_OrigiNs, on April 30 2014 - 05:39 AM, said:

Lightangel112, on April 30 2014 - 04:41 AM, said:

If I have your permission I would like too add it to the Ultimate Predator Guide. I'll make a section for it so it can fit.

You absolutely have my permission, if anything I'm honored to have it in your amazing guide.
Thanks. I will add it later on cant be asked atm, I just want to play and not type lol.

If you want to be a Professional Yolodriver just go with DETs and the rest EMPs.

#8 Lightangel112

Lightangel112

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted May 01 2014 - 05:30 AM

Just wrote this into the guide.

If you prefer a basic guide for advice on How to kill a Predator mech or How to use it in team based games, take a look at KilleR_OrigiNs guide, short but informative giving you a simpler perspective. https://community.pl...ith-a-predator

Well done again on a great guide for people to read up on KilleR.

#9 LuthorDavid

LuthorDavid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationViet Nam,HCM

Posted May 03 2014 - 10:00 AM

....Well....I just playing by instint ,and now I rock in South Asia :)

#10 Meraple

Meraple

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted May 03 2014 - 10:11 AM

I play by feelings.
I usually don't really think a whole lot.

Posted Image

Spoiler

#11 Lightangel112

Lightangel112

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted May 05 2014 - 05:20 AM

It's funny that you say that Meraple.

Because Predator's by nature don't think, they just act instinctively.

#12 Ghastous

Ghastous

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted May 11 2014 - 07:28 PM

i love the concept on this mech but it is quite annoying when u can get locked on in stealth.

#13 Lightangel112

Lightangel112

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted May 12 2014 - 07:27 AM

Ghastous, on May 11 2014 - 07:28 PM, said:

i love the concept on this mech but it is quite annoying when u can get locked on in stealth.
1 word for you, cover, use it always.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users