HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

First Impressions of the G2-Raider

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#21 Meraple

Meraple

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted May 01 2014 - 12:54 PM

View PostKer4u, on May 01 2014 - 12:52 PM, said:

View PostMeraple, on May 01 2014 - 12:23 PM, said:

You can walk around like a fuzzy bunny and kill people.
Did I really need to say that_
And people who played against you couldn't hit  fat c class once_ This 42ms will happen veeeeery rarely,  and be pretty much useless when you have it.
Also  while blizing you can move only in predictable linear motion,  G2 loses all speed when strafing, also dodge is slow, short with long cool down. You don't agree that current G2 is inferior to raider in ever aspect_
Yes you can stomp noobs with G2 but against solid players i don't see g2  doing any good.

I did pretty well against decent players in an organized match.
I wasn't playing my G2 for long, but when I played it it went pretty well.

The ability is inferior to Blitz, yes.
It's fun though.

Posted Image

Spoiler

#22 RipperT

RipperT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts
  • LocationEarth, last time I checked

Posted May 01 2014 - 12:54 PM

My first impression of the mech is that it is lackluster at best. As stated previously, the ability is of limited use, especially if I have to create a special item build around it in order to get the most use out of that situational deployment. What really gives that lackluster feel to the mech though, in my opinion, is that the corsair reload time is abysmal.

In comparison, I had more fun with the G2 Assault after it was introduced than I have had initially with this one.

#23 Meraple

Meraple

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted May 01 2014 - 12:59 PM

It is lackluster, yet it works.
It's fine IMHO.

I think the Devs said G2 mechs are more of a gimmick anyway then a real mech, but I'm not sure.

Posted Image

Spoiler

#24 Ker4u

Ker4u

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,341 posts
  • LocationLocation Location

Posted May 01 2014 - 01:03 PM

View PostMeraple, on May 01 2014 - 12:59 PM, said:

It's fine IMHO.

I think the Devs said G2 mechs are more of a gimmick anyway then a real mech, but I'm not sure.
Could you please come back to this topic after 1 week_
When you have at lease 15 hours playtime on g2, interested if your opinion will change :)

- lok'tar ogar -

#25 Meraple

Meraple

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted May 01 2014 - 01:04 PM

View PostKer4u, on May 01 2014 - 01:03 PM, said:

View PostMeraple, on May 01 2014 - 12:59 PM, said:

It's fine IMHO.

Could you please come back to this topic after 1 week_
When you have at lease 15 hours playtime on g2, interested if your opinion will change :)

Sure.
I guess it's too early to tell anyways.

Posted Image

Spoiler

#26 IareDave

IareDave

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted May 01 2014 - 04:15 PM

buff the boost and walking speed or buff the hp. Too me a mech this slow needs a bit more beef. Other than that it's great with the fuel conv 2.0+ability

#27 Cold_Poison

Cold_Poison

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted May 01 2014 - 04:33 PM

Piece of fuzzy bunny.  Ability is useless, XT apparently means eXacTly the same weapons.  Its seriously a waste of HC or MC.  This was a cash rake for them.  Seriously, the dev time put into this mech is however long it took them to cut and paste the worse traits of each much.

DO NOT BUY THIS MECH!

#28 Mykinius

Mykinius

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted May 01 2014 - 04:35 PM

This mech really makes me appreciate the recent Corsair change on the default Raider. I've already died in countless 1v1 situations due to not being able to fire a 2nd or 3rd Mirv in time, and I don't appreciate the negligible increased damage of the XT over the current Corsair. It might help burst down light mechs faster with an alpha strike, but "one-hit kills" like that never feel fun to me on the shooting OR receiving end.

#29 Hijinks_The_Turtle

Hijinks_The_Turtle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,569 posts
  • LocationTurtles be turtlin'

Posted May 01 2014 - 05:11 PM

I might not have a raider but guys!  Don't you remember this:  On a certain Cockpit episode, Vana said they specifically released the G2 Assault slightly underpowered because they didn't want dual regular vulcans since it was op in junction with coolant.  What if they did the same to G2 Raider_  Give it some time and provide helpful info to the devs to help make it viable.

Edited by Hijinks_The_Turtle, May 01 2014 - 05:12 PM.

#30 Mykinius

Mykinius

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted May 01 2014 - 05:23 PM

View PostHijinks_The_Turtle, on May 01 2014 - 05:11 PM, said:

I might not have a raider but guys!  Don't you remember this:  On a certain Cockpit episode, Vana said they specifically released the G2 Assault slightly underpowered because they didn't want dual regular vulcans since it was op in junction with coolant.  What if they did the same to G2 Raider_  Give it some time and provide helpful info to the devs to help make it viable.
Yeah, my hope is that they fix this like they did the G2 Assault and change it from simply bad to goofy-but-ok.

#31 Amisto

Amisto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted May 01 2014 - 06:37 PM

fix the weapons, make it same as raider.

#32 Stingz

Stingz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted May 01 2014 - 08:45 PM

View PostHijinks_The_Turtle, on May 01 2014 - 05:11 PM, said:

Quite sure it's to avoid the F2P cashgrab of OP on launch, and nerf later.

Raider G2 is ridiculously bad though, fuel drain on Blitz2 is probably the biggest issue, with movement speed in second.

Edited by Stingz, May 01 2014 - 08:45 PM.

Running directly to/from sniper fire means you'll die tired. Taking cover gives (Ke-)Sabot time to reload.
Someone elses data of Hawken gear/mechs | and another one

#33 OmniTracker

OmniTracker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted May 02 2014 - 07:49 AM

You could reduce the fuel consumption on G2 Blitz to a quarter of what it is at the moment and I would still consider it borderline uselss. Use it in combat and kiss your ass goodbye since you are left with 0 fuel and the abysmal walking/dodging speed.

It's too early to tell, but this might be even worse than the Predator. THE PREDATOR!

#34 Mykinius

Mykinius

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted May 02 2014 - 07:59 AM

View PostOmniTracker, on May 02 2014 - 07:49 AM, said:

You could reduce the fuel consumption on G2 Blitz to a quarter of what it is at the moment and I would still consider it borderline uselss. Use it in combat and kiss your ass goodbye since you are left with 0 fuel and the abysmal walking/dodging speed.

It's too early to tell, but this might be even worse than the Predator. THE PREDATOR!
Pre-April Predator, yes. Current Predator, not so much (significant buffs on stats and secondary weapon).

#35 Meraple

Meraple

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted May 02 2014 - 08:00 AM

this might be even worse than the Predator. THE PREDATOR!

Learn how to play Predator before calling it bad.
It's a great mech in the right hands; there are even videos of succesfull gameplay in the Ultimate Predator Guide.

View PostMykinius, on May 02 2014 - 07:59 AM, said:

Pre-April Predator, yes. Current Predator, not so much (significant buffs on stats and secondary weapon).

Predator wasn't THAT bad pre-april.
It just had a slightly different playing style and less DPS.

Edited by Meraple, May 02 2014 - 08:00 AM.

Posted Image

Spoiler

#36 ticklemyiguana

ticklemyiguana

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,121 posts

Posted May 02 2014 - 08:46 AM

From the relatively short time I was using it, I was doing pretty well. (High-mid tier play) I only broke it out in close quarters and the significant health advantage over the regular raider made it rather viable. I will admit that the ability simply is not what I was expecting, and I do feel it needs a rework.
I'd at least like to hear the devs reasoning behind downgrading the ability so much.

Also, I'd like to see some viable G2 mechs, really. I'm not satisfied with "gimmicky" products. Both the assault G2 and the raider G2 could add balanced gameplay to Hawken if they were tweaked a bit. Just my two cents.
Posted Image

#37 OmniTracker

OmniTracker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted May 02 2014 - 09:04 AM

View PostMeraple, on May 02 2014 - 08:00 AM, said:

It's a great mech in the right hands; there are even videos of succesfull gameplay in the Ultimate Predator Guide.

Any mech that requires such a dramatic increase in skill to be effective is a bad mech. Now before the deluge of 'git guds' hits me here's what I mean;

What I accomplish in a Predator I can do in an Inf to significatly more effect with signifiaclty less effort. Finishing off low health opponents_ 90% of the time a sneaky Reaper can do that at no personal risk. Flanking_ Zerker if your opponents are appropriatly distracted (which they should be.) Blocking a retreat_ Litereally anything else.

You can do these things in a Pred and it wil be effective. But you can do them with anything else easier, and more effectively.

But anyways, this is a thread about the RG2.

#38 ticklemyiguana

ticklemyiguana

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,121 posts

Posted May 02 2014 - 09:17 AM

View PostOmniTracker, on May 02 2014 - 09:04 AM, said:

View PostMeraple, on May 02 2014 - 08:00 AM, said:

Any mech that requires such a dramatic increase in skill to be effective is a bad mech. Now before the deluge of 'git guds' hits me here's what I mean;

What I accomplish in a Predator I can do in an Inf to significatly more effect with signifiaclty less effort. Finishing off low health opponents_ 90% of the time a sneaky Reaper can do that at no personal risk. Flanking_ Zerker if your opponents are appropriatly distracted (which they should be.) Blocking a retreat_ Litereally anything else.

You can do these things in a Pred and it wil be effective. But you can do them with anything else easier, and more effectively.

But anyways, this is a thread about the RG2.

Oh no. This is now a predator thread, because when people hate on aspects of Hawken that they don't know about, people need to know that they're wrong. Things don't work like that. Flak scout is easy. Heat scout takes more skill. But no one here will say that a good flak scout is better than a good heat scout (exception being inside a bubble shield basically), even though you couldn't use heat scout to save your life if you just loaded it up.

Same thing for the predator. Fantastic mech, but very different. The predator can also finish off enemies at low health with no personal risk, you just need to be a little smarter about it. It can also finish off high health enemies with no personal risk, you just need to be a little smarter about it. It is not an OP pew pew bang bang mech. It is a mech used for teamwork and outsmarting your opponents. Not to mention, people can use it as a pew pew bang bang mech and absolutely annihilate with it simply by switching up where they aim and how they anticipate their opponents move. We're not saying get good, we're saying you're wrong.

tl;dr: RG2 needs moar boost.

Edited by ticklemyiguana, May 02 2014 - 09:18 AM.

Posted Image

#39 frederickthegreat

frederickthegreat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted May 02 2014 - 02:32 PM

Over all, did you guys like it_ Is it worth the HC_
Go away

#40 SoldierHobbes11

SoldierHobbes11

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted May 02 2014 - 09:05 PM

Since I don't have any first hand experience with piloting the mech, I can't  offer much of an opinion. However, think about it this way: we are testing the mech. Remember, we're still technically in a beta stage, so the devs are counting on us to test new stuff. It's much easier to release a mech that's not totally balanced yet to the community for testing and plus, we get our hands on the goodies sooner. In fact, by doing that, we have a hand in making the mech. Sure, the mech is not balanced as of yet, nor are many things when they are first released. Have some patience and give feedback. I doubt the G2 Raider is set in stone at the moment. I'm just glad that the mech was underpowered on release than overpowered. I'm sure we can all agree the overpowered is WAY more annoying than underpowered.
Need help with Hawken_ Click here for my Handy Hawken Handbook!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users