HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

First Impressions of the G2-Raider

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#41 Meraple

Meraple

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted May 03 2014 - 12:15 AM

Tech + G2R  might be better then Tech + Incin in scrubpubs.
Don't know yet, but the ability mixed with the correct internals makes it a mechanized rambo if you get a Tech onto it.

Talking about playing with bad people, lol.

If it'd recieve some buffs it'd be better in corner poking then Brawler.
(buffs in movement speed and it's ability)

Posted Image

Spoiler

#42 jrkong

jrkong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted May 03 2014 - 01:21 AM

So I finally got the G2 Raider and it isn't bad. I can't say it's the best but it isn't bad to the point that it isn't viable. About the ability: note it increases your RUN speed not boost speed or at least the increase is so negligibly that it may as well only increase it. So Blitz G2 could be used a bit like dodge giving you periodic boosts of movement. It doesn't help close distances quite that well or help you get away much but it could prolong your life a bit. The animation (the charge) is pretty sweet if you ask me. A cool thing about this is it's somewhat like a "back dodge" if you use it while walking backwards. It would be nice if the G2 had a little more HP, base movement or even if the ability lasted for an extra second.

I do want to mention though, the moment I went back to a faster C mech I felt like a fast lil fuzzy bunny.

I must say though the animation for Blitz G2 is perfect for what it does. I totally feel like a charging rhino though it's funny when you see that animation when a G2 is retreating.

Edited by jrkong, May 03 2014 - 01:59 AM.

#43 Avatarfury

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted May 03 2014 - 10:36 AM

I'm going to link my overall views of the G2-Raider below.  I do think however its possible that the value of this mech is actually close range in the middle of everything.  Think of it as like a tank with a shotgun.  Now does this mean that makes it useful_  I'm not sure but that's where I think it shines its best.

#44 jrkong

jrkong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted May 03 2014 - 12:16 PM

Hmm I guess I'm one of the odd few who have success with the G2 raider. I've been playing it roughly the same as I would a Raider ever since I figured out Blitz G2 was for run speed only. I use the Blitz G2 as a way to quickly get close to enemies as well as a dodge tool. I'll see if I can make a video later.

Edited by jrkong, May 03 2014 - 12:16 PM.

#45 Cloudstorm

Cloudstorm

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • LocationAlfheim

Posted May 03 2014 - 04:43 PM

This Mec is a joke, completely useless. No manner of tuning will fix the fact wrong weapon mix.

#46 Odinous

Odinous

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts
  • LocationAthens,Greece

Posted May 03 2014 - 04:48 PM

View Postjrkong, on May 03 2014 - 01:21 AM, said:

So I finally got the G2 Raider and it isn't bad. I can't say it's the best but it isn't bad to the point that it isn't viable. About the ability: note it increases your RUN speed not boost speed or at least the increase is so negligibly that it may as well only increase it. So Blitz G2 could be used a bit like dodge giving you periodic boosts of movement. It doesn't help close distances quite that well or help you get away much but it could prolong your life a bit. The animation (the charge) is pretty sweet if you ask me. A cool thing about this is it's somewhat like a "back dodge" if you use it while walking backwards. It would be nice if the G2 had a little more HP, base movement or even if the ability lasted for an extra second.

I do want to mention though, the moment I went back to a faster C mech I felt like a fast lil fuzzy bunny.

I must say though the animation for Blitz G2 is perfect for what it does. I totally feel like a charging rhino though it's funny when you see that animation when a G2 is retreating.
i also found the animation great,when i first encountered a g2 raider,man,he actually charged at me with his wings moving :P
and yes this mech is not useless,and i am sure will get a hotfix.

Edited by Odinous, May 03 2014 - 04:48 PM.

#47 jrkong

jrkong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted May 04 2014 - 12:22 AM

It would be fair to say the G2 Raider is practically useless outside of objective defense in relatively closed off areas. Besides that you'll struggle to catch up with anyone or nab a kill. Not useless but highly specialized.

Generally though you're better off using a Brawler or a Raider.

Atm it has no place in semi competitive or competitive play imo. They should really kill the fuel drain of the ability all together if you ask me. That would fix everything and make the Raider G2 a fun harassing mech. I know I've been saying Raider G2 is somewhat useful, but to put things into perspective: once I go back to Incinerator or Raider my K/D skyrockets. It's just the weapons are too short range, cools down way too slowly and half the time you have no way to close the distance.

Edited by jrkong, May 04 2014 - 10:01 AM.

#48 silentkratos

silentkratos

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted May 04 2014 - 12:54 PM

View Postticklemyiguana, on May 02 2014 - 09:17 AM, said:

View PostOmniTracker, on May 02 2014 - 09:04 AM, said:

View PostMeraple, on May 02 2014 - 08:00 AM, said:

View PostOmniTracker, on May 02 2014 - 07:49 AM, said:

this might be even worse than the Predator. THE PREDATOR!

Learn how to play Predator before calling it bad.
It's a great mech in the right hands; there are even videos of succesfull gameplay in the Ultimate Predator Guide.

View PostMykinius, on May 02 2014 - 07:59 AM, said:

View PostOmniTracker, on May 02 2014 - 07:49 AM, said:

You could reduce the fuel consumption on G2 Blitz to a quarter of what it is at the moment and I would still consider it borderline uselss. Use it in combat and kiss your ass goodbye since you are left with 0 fuel and the abysmal walking/dodging speed.

It's too early to tell, but this might be even worse than the Predator. THE PREDATOR!
Pre-April Predator, yes. Current Predator, not so much (significant buffs on stats and secondary weapon).

Predator wasn't THAT bad pre-april.
It just had a slightly different playing style and less DPS.

Any mech that requires such a dramatic increase in skill to be effective is a bad mech. Now before the deluge of 'git guds' hits me here's what I mean;

What I accomplish in a Predator I can do in an Inf to significatly more effect with signifiaclty less effort. Finishing off low health opponents_ 90% of the time a sneaky Reaper can do that at no personal risk. Flanking_ Zerker if your opponents are appropriatly distracted (which they should be.) Blocking a retreat_ Litereally anything else.

You can do these things in a Pred and it wil be effective. But you can do them with anything else easier, and more effectively.

But anyways, this is a thread about the RG2.

Oh no. This is now a predator thread, because when people hate on aspects of Hawken that they don't know about, people need to know that they're wrong. Things don't work like that. Flak scout is easy. Heat scout takes more skill. But no one here will say that a good flak scout is better than a good heat scout (exception being inside a bubble shield basically), even though you couldn't use heat scout to save your life if you just loaded it up.

Same thing for the predator. Fantastic mech, but very different. The predator can also finish off enemies at low health with no personal risk, you just need to be a little smarter about it. It can also finish off high health enemies with no personal risk, you just need to be a little smarter about it. It is not an OP pew pew bang bang mech. It is a mech used for teamwork and outsmarting your opponents. Not to mention, people can use it as a pew pew bang bang mech and absolutely annihilate with it simply by switching up where they aim and how they anticipate their opponents move. We're not saying get good, we're saying you're wrong.

tl;dr: RG2 needs moar boost.

Exactly, i have helped my team turn losing matches into winning ones at the last moment by outwitting the other team with Predator..
You just need a smart fox mind to use it.

BTW, the G2 Raider is indeed a piece of garbage for me.. I died 10 times to get a single kill that too out of sheer luck.
Slow speed, slow dodge, high reload time for the secondary weapon... tht just doesn't give you enough firepower.. a berserker with vulcan(no good aim at long distance) managed to get me down to 20% health from a long distance. I wonder how he managed to do that. oh oh, i know now.. its because I coudn't kill him faster, reason- slow sluggish mech.

#49 SoldierHobbes11

SoldierHobbes11

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted May 07 2014 - 10:12 PM

View PostCloudstorm, on May 03 2014 - 04:43 PM, said:

This Mec is a joke, completely useless. No manner of tuning will fix the fact wrong weapon mix.
Have you ever used the T32 on the original Raider_ A MIRV plus a fully charged Bolt salvo will NUKE anyone right in front of you. You just have to be able to get in close enough, which is where the problem with the G2 lies. The weapons are fine. It's the speed and the ability of this mech that are the most limiting to it, from what I've seen people say.
Need help with Hawken_ Click here for my Handy Hawken Handbook!

#50 jrkong

jrkong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted May 07 2014 - 10:15 PM

View PostSoldierHobbes11, on May 07 2014 - 10:12 PM, said:

Have you ever used the T32 on the original Raider_ A MIRV plus a fully charged Bolt salvo will NUKE anyone right in front of you. You just have to be able to get in close enough, which is where the problem with the G2 lies. The weapons are fine. It's the speed and the ability of this mech that are the most limiting to it, from what I've seen people say.
Agreed T32+MIRV=pure death if you can get everything out of it which is exactly where the problem lies at the moment.

The ability will get a change and will last for a bit more then 5 seconds and take 25 seconds to cool down. Right now I don't think it's enough to fix it but we'll have to see. I'd be much happier with a 2 second burst that took no fuel and had a 10 second cooldown. Right now my main worry is you Blitz G2 and then you're a sitting duck (again). You kill your target(s) then you pretty much sit there waiting for death.

Edited by jrkong, May 07 2014 - 10:17 PM.

#51 Ker4u

Ker4u

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,341 posts
  • LocationLocation Location

Posted May 07 2014 - 11:38 PM

View Postjrkong, on May 07 2014 - 10:15 PM, said:

View PostSoldierHobbes11, on May 07 2014 - 10:12 PM, said:

Agreed T32+MIRV=pure death if you can get everything out of it which is exactly where the problem lies at the moment.
these weapons are only good for oneshoting A class mechs.

- lok'tar ogar -

#52 Blasterh22

Blasterh22

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted May 08 2014 - 12:39 AM

I never liked the Raider and the T32, G2 is even worse, the ability is useless, it's like the devs were thinking how to make a bad mech.
I hope they will somehow fix it.

2 Corsairs would be cool :)

Edited by Blasterh22, May 08 2014 - 12:42 AM.

#53 SoldierHobbes11

SoldierHobbes11

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted June 06 2014 - 09:07 PM

Now that I have one of these beasts, I feel that the G2 raider is like the Market Gardener of TF2 for Hawken. Very little practicality, hard to pull off right, but HOT DAMN, the thing is fun to use once you do learn to use it. For me, my fat raider is one of my favorite mechs. I just find it so hilarious when people run from me, thinking they can outrun my fat robutt and I just charge them down like a starving sumo wrestler to an all you can eat ramen buffet. Love people's reactions in the chat saying, "WTF was that thing!_!_" And if you market garden in TF2, it's the same feeling. Also if you don't know what Market Gardening is, look it up do you get what I mean.
Need help with Hawken_ Click here for my Handy Hawken Handbook!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users