HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

2k+ SAVE ME

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#21 Lightangel112

Lightangel112

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted May 14 2014 - 02:18 PM

View PostDagon, on May 13 2014 - 01:48 PM, said:

Thanks for all the advice. I'm going to plug away some DM this week and see how it goes, also have to pickup a few other mechs and see which feel right.
Predator has some of the highest burst weapons (dmg wise) and capabilities compared to other mechs. The scout now is also a burst mech with most of its weapons. Scout burst is less, but has alot more speed. Predator has more burst but less speed. Both can be played very similarly however, the scout has a more solid AOE secondary vs your EOC P. So though both are burst mechs, and have similar trade offs, both have to be handled differently due to your weapons. I recently met up with Mad Savage and said to me how he first hated Predator and thought it was an inferior mech, but now has realized it's quite formidable if played correctly. Playing DM in your case will be an eye opener, though depending on who you get paired up with, you will die a ton of times as you try to work on both your timing and aim. You need Air Compressor, Deflector, Basic Failsafe to be good at DM.

Edited by Lightangel112, May 14 2014 - 02:22 PM.

View PostMeraple, on June 01 2014 - 11:54 AM, said:

If you want to be a Professional Yolodriver just go with DETs and the rest EMPs.

#22 PoopSlinger

PoopSlinger

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  • LocationWestern Wisconsin

Posted May 15 2014 - 09:54 AM

It was also eye-opening how much the higher level people all play on TS with each other.  Almost nobody uses the PTT button anymore and its been working for a few weeks now.  I'm just getting into the same boat as you OP (broke 2k last month), its hard to learn how to play with the high end folks when they all play together.

#23 Stokes17

Stokes17

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted May 16 2014 - 08:29 AM

I agree with Jeff, I don't think most people are on TS, I'm not sure what makes you think that slinger.  I will say, when you are in a room full of capable players, its really easy to play off of each other because you are able to predict how your team will behave.  Maybe that gives the appearance of players being in a party_

#24 JeffMagnum

JeffMagnum

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 829 posts
  • LocationMO

Posted May 16 2014 - 07:46 PM

View PostPoopSlinger, on May 15 2014 - 09:54 AM, said:

It was also eye-opening how much the higher level people all play on TS with each other.  Almost nobody uses the PTT button anymore and its been working for a few weeks now.  I'm just getting into the same boat as you OP (broke 2k last month), its hard to learn how to play with the high end folks when they all play together.

Again, this isn't nearly as common as you'd think. Granted, a lot of people do sit around in the BSB TS while they're playing, but they're usually just talking about random fuzzy bunny and aren't even in the same match.

#25 DaPheel

DaPheel

EXPLOSIONS_

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,787 posts
  • LocationU.K.

Posted May 16 2014 - 11:57 PM

View PostJeffMagnum, on May 16 2014 - 07:46 PM, said:

View PostPoopSlinger, on May 15 2014 - 09:54 AM, said:

Again, this isn't nearly as common as you'd think. Granted, a lot of people do sit around in the BSB TS while they're playing, but they're usually just talking about random fuzzy bunny and aren't even in the same match.

What_ T.S. is for tactics now_ I just thought that was for talking nonsense to people from all over the world. So, it could be, like, used to co-ordinate gameplaY_ mind=blown!!!1!
Posted Image"OFFICIAL SHIELD BEARER"
Spoiler

#26 ticklemyiguana

ticklemyiguana

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,121 posts

Posted May 28 2014 - 07:26 AM

My recommendation is patience. Not patience in the "you'll get there" sense, but patience in a firefight. Know the maps, don't pursue (much), figure out where they're going and meet them there. Patience in dodging. Learn what they are doing, dodge at less predictable times. Fire your TOWs at the location theyre going to be, before they dodge.

Walk. So many people boost. All I see are targets, and they cant see me at all. Learn to skate when you're getting back to your team, running away, or pursuing.(side dodge, boost, side dodge, boost). It will make your Cs move like Bs, and Bs move like As (and As move like.. like.. something faster than As)

And yes, many upper level players know when you're going to fire what weapon as well, and they dodge. That just means you have to be a step ahead of them. How_ Patience. You wait for them to reveal what they are going to do, and hit them on the cooldown.

Don't take to the air so much. You will burn fuel. Air is handy for transport, the occasional jump and dodge to mix things up, and wasting fuel. Learn to boost on your way out of a dodge, and change direction quickly.

Hope it helps.
Posted Image

#27 Meraple

Meraple

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted May 28 2014 - 09:34 AM

I don't really think in combat and maneuvers.. I just follow my feelings.
It's how I got to ~2200 MMR.
Don't ask how. :mellow:

Posted Image

Spoiler

#28 mmm_yep

mmm_yep

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • LocationArizona, USA

Posted May 28 2014 - 03:14 PM

View PostMeraple, on May 28 2014 - 09:34 AM, said:

Translation: He's just that good.

Just playin' Meraple, I couldn't resist ;)

Edited by mmm_yep, May 28 2014 - 03:15 PM.

#29 OmegaNull

OmegaNull

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Location2300-2400 Pilot Camp

Posted May 30 2014 - 02:40 PM

Meraple is an apple thus has no feelings. He doesn't feel...

Scootin' and Shootin | Ballin' and Brawlin' | Ragin' and Raidin'

Posted Image

I am Omega Null. The abyss is my home and your last frontier. Welcome to my lair and become my Prey. As I track your scent through this nether,

my mouth begins to water. Your Demise will be quick and wretched.

Enjoy your Pain and Suffering as I tear Limb from Limb. Prepare to meet your Final End.

Member of Violent Resolution

#30 Meraple

Meraple

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted May 30 2014 - 11:11 PM

View PostOmegaNull, on May 30 2014 - 02:40 PM, said:

Hey, apples have feelings too, you racist!

To be honest I prefer strawberries with sugar. :ph34r:

Edit: ..And Sushi. :wub:

Edited by Meraple, May 30 2014 - 11:13 PM.

Posted Image

Spoiler

#31 Z3roCool007

Z3roCool007

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in you're room.

Posted May 30 2014 - 11:56 PM

View PostMeraple, on May 30 2014 - 11:11 PM, said:

Hey, apples have feelings too, you racist!

To be honest I prefer strawberries with sugar. :ph34r:

Edit: ..And Sushi. :wub:

Oh no.....
TRAITOR TO APPLES! D:

Edited by Z3roCool007, May 31 2014 - 02:29 AM.

Posted Image

Now I know we can never be friends

-EliteShooter

#32 Meraple

Meraple

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted May 31 2014 - 12:02 AM

View PostZ3roCool007, on May 30 2014 - 11:56 PM, said:

> _ >
< _ <
Nothing, right_

Oh fuzzy bunny. TRAITOR TO APPLES! D:

What are you talking about_ :o

Edited by Meraple, May 31 2014 - 12:02 AM.

Posted Image

Spoiler

#33 TheVulong

TheVulong

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,797 posts
  • LocationRussia

Posted May 31 2014 - 01:38 AM

View PostMeraple, on May 28 2014 - 09:34 AM, said:

Low ping_ :P

Posted Image

#34 Z3roCool007

Z3roCool007

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in you're room.

Posted May 31 2014 - 02:28 AM

View PostMeraple, on May 31 2014 - 12:02 AM, said:

View PostZ3roCool007, on May 30 2014 - 11:56 PM, said:

> _ >
< _ <
Nothing, right_

Oh fuzzy bunny. TRAITOR TO APPLES! D:

What are you talking about_ :o

Posted Image
Posted Image

Now I know we can never be friends

-EliteShooter

#35 Mawnkey

Mawnkey

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationDirectly Behind You

Posted July 10 2014 - 11:50 PM

Starting to touch the 2k+ range myself. Honestly the roughest part is that the other ranges at least have a cap on how skilled a player you run in to. Once you hit the 2k range and start getting bumped to the the big kid servers, there's no more cap. You basically become a moving target for players so ridiculously far ahead of you that it's possible you can't ever reach their skill level, and you'll spend the rest of your Hawken career at the bottom of the scoreboard.

Honestly they're going to need to add another skill bracket if the game's population gets high enough, because 2k+ is just nightmare difficulty for me. I can't learn anything if all I'm ever doing is staring at the garage every few seconds.

Edit: Don't get me wrong, I'm not finding that my tactics or strategy fail, I just know I'm at the age where I can't get past the downwards slide reflexes start to take vs. younger players. I can only compensate so much with tactics and patience.

Edited by Mawnkey, July 10 2014 - 11:52 PM.

#36 Barbie_in_a_Mech

Barbie_in_a_Mech

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • LocationHidden in your bedroom, gathering intel for your sister.

Posted July 11 2014 - 07:36 AM

I don't see the difference, myself...  It happens that I get on servers where the players are much stronger than me, but it's maybe 5% of the time.  The rest of the time, at 2100+, most of the servers I get queued on are 1700-2150 or 1700-2300+.  (From using !srd with the ScrimBot)

So to me, it looks like you get thrown in the jungle at 1700, not 2000.

Posted Image

#37 BurnsHot

BurnsHot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 533 posts
  • LocationEmpire of the Sun

Posted July 11 2014 - 07:54 AM

View Postticklemyiguana, on May 28 2014 - 07:26 AM, said:

My recommendation is patience. Not patience in the "you'll get there" sense, but patience in a firefight. Know the maps, don't pursue (much), figure out where they're going and meet them there. Patience in dodging. Learn what they are doing, dodge at less predictable times. Fire your TOWs at the location theyre going to be, before they dodge.

Walk. So many people boost. All I see are targets, and they cant see me at all. Learn to skate when you're getting back to your team, running away, or pursuing.(side dodge, boost, side dodge, boost). It will make your Cs move like Bs, and Bs move like As (and As move like.. like.. something faster than As)

And yes, many upper level players know when you're going to fire what weapon as well, and they dodge. That just means you have to be a step ahead of them. How_ Patience. You wait for them to reveal what they are going to do, and hit them on the cooldown.

Don't take to the air so much. You will burn fuel. Air is handy for transport, the occasional jump and dodge to mix things up, and wasting fuel. Learn to boost on your way out of a dodge, and change direction quickly.

Hope it helps.

With Air Compressor, going Airborne can be quite deadly to the enemy, but i'm not saying anything you Air Compressor users don't already know.

Actually, I think its the current Meta for A class......

Edited by BurnsHot, July 11 2014 - 07:58 AM.

#38 Call_Me_Ishmael

Call_Me_Ishmael

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 399 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas, baby.

Posted July 11 2014 - 10:56 AM

View PostBurnsHot, on July 11 2014 - 07:54 AM, said:

With Air Compressor, going Airborne can be quite deadly to the enemy, but i'm not saying anything you Air Compressor users don't already know.

Not for Scout... it's slower in the air.

View PostMawnkey, on July 10 2014 - 11:50 PM, said:

Starting to touch the 2k+ range myself. Honestly the roughest part is that the other ranges at least have a cap on how skilled a player you run in to. Once you hit the 2k range and start getting bumped to the the big kid servers, there's no more cap. You basically become a moving target for players so ridiculously far ahead of you that it's possible you can't ever reach their skill level, and you'll spend the rest of your Hawken career at the bottom of the scoreboard.

Honestly they're going to need to add another skill bracket if the game's population gets high enough, because 2k+ is just nightmare difficulty for me. I can't learn anything if all I'm ever doing is staring at the garage every few seconds.

Edit: Don't get me wrong, I'm not finding that my tactics or strategy fail, I just know I'm at the age where I can't get past the downwards slide reflexes start to take vs. younger players. I can only compensate so much with tactics and patience.

I'm 47, MMR 2200...
Posted Image

#39 BurnsHot

BurnsHot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 533 posts
  • LocationEmpire of the Sun

Posted July 11 2014 - 11:14 AM

View PostCall_Me_Ishmael, on July 11 2014 - 10:56 AM, said:

View PostBurnsHot, on July 11 2014 - 07:54 AM, said:

Not for Scout... it's slower in the air.

A class jumps in the Air unloads Primary + Secondary + item then does Air Dodge land rinse and repeat.  Scouts or any class with a Burst weapon are best at this and it happens all day long.

#40 stinkinglamb44

stinkinglamb44

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationThe killcam

Posted July 16 2014 - 01:13 PM

View PostMawnkey, on July 10 2014 - 11:50 PM, said:

I'm permanently stuck at 1950 and I sure hope I don't get into those. I do okay in them when I do join them, though. I've friended several 2k+ players (peterbishopgame) and their servers aren't destroying me, just making me not do as well as normal.

I'm an heat cannon infiltrator kinda guy so I always get some decent damage out
I'm winning.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users