HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

2k+ SAVE ME

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#61 SkyeBeats

SkyeBeats

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted July 27 2014 - 07:46 AM

View PostAmidatelion, on July 26 2014 - 09:34 PM, said:

How the heck can I improve when there's just no scaling_

DEATHMATCH!

#62 Desert_Fox2

Desert_Fox2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted July 27 2014 - 07:55 AM

View PostSoldierHobbes11, on July 25 2014 - 11:25 PM, said:

If by wave dodging you mean when you boost forward, you quickly turn your camera to the side so you can dodge into your boost trajectory, then yes. Only difference is, with the 180 dodge turn you keep turning your camera all the way around instead of snapping it back forward. It really helps with getting behind people or surprising flying noobs by going right under them and firing on their backside. It's better than boosting forward and then quickly executing a 180 spin. The 180 dodge doesn't make you freeze in place for a quarter second and the camera doesn't jerk violently around. I can pull off these 180 dodges even in C classes, but it's obviously easier in an A. Also, if you have an air compressor, you can do these over people's heads. Just make sure you're high enough before you hit the air dodge. I can do successful 180 air dodges in my Brawler of all things, but it requires much more precise planning and movement, so I sometimes go splat on people's blast shields, or better yet, land on their heads. Getting sat on by a brawler hurts.

Ahh! I am familier with that move. It is a absolute blast to pull off. Yet, if you are playing against someone who is good they will execute the same move to get a shot on you and distance themselves.
I never mastered the AC. At least not in combat. Air combat is not my forte. :D

#63 SoldierHobbes11

SoldierHobbes11

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted July 27 2014 - 10:37 AM

View PostDesert_Fox2, on July 27 2014 - 07:55 AM, said:

Ahh! I am familier with that move. It is a absolute blast to pull off. Yet, if you are playing against someone who is good they will execute the same move to get a shot on you and distance themselves.
I never mastered the AC. At least not in combat. Air combat is not my forte. :D
Oh yeah, the fight between two dancing masters is always intense. Those are the best duels though. When two are evenly matched and skilled like that, the outcome is determined by who makes a mistake, first. At least that how I see it.

And I don't prefer aerial combat myself. However, even if I may dislike it, it's still a good thing to know, that way I'm not limiting my options on the battlefield. Variety is the spice of death.
Need help with Hawken_ Click here for my Handy Hawken Handbook!

#64 SoldierHobbes11

SoldierHobbes11

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted July 27 2014 - 10:46 AM

View PostSkyeBeats, on July 27 2014 - 07:46 AM, said:

DEATHMATCH!
Yeah, as much as I dislike playing this mode, I have to admit I learned most of my dueling skills by playing DM. The most important things this mode will teach you is stealth and judgement. Learning to pick your battles and staying under the radar are vital in this mode and will make you much more deadly in team engagements.

#65 Mawnkey

Mawnkey

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationDirectly Behind You

Posted July 27 2014 - 11:27 AM

View PostSoldierHobbes11, on July 27 2014 - 10:46 AM, said:

View PostSkyeBeats, on July 27 2014 - 07:46 AM, said:

DEATHMATCH!
Yeah, as much as I dislike playing this mode, I have to admit I learned most of my dueling skills by playing DM. The most important things this mode will teach you is stealth and judgement. Learning to pick your battles and staying under the radar are vital in this mode and will make you much more deadly in team engagements.

As I said earlier in the thread, if population goes up they're gonna need to implement another skill tier. Dumping "Good" players in with "The sky is the limit" is incredibly discouraging. To go from "awful" to "OK" takes a couple hours, "OK" to "good" a couple weeks to a month, "good" to "very good" probably several months, meanwhile the entire time you're just getting roflstomped by the fact that there's no ceiling on the tier you're in for opponent skill. I'm not saying I don't accept taking my licks while I learn, it's just that spending all your time at the bottom of the heap undermines any confidence you spent time building in lower tiers and really makes you start to question your abilities.

Bottom line is that the amount of time and effort required to actually acquire the skills to participate in the upper tier can be far longer than the time it takes to actually find yourself dumped in it. (This is the feeling I get in most 2k+ games)

#66 SoldierHobbes11

SoldierHobbes11

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted July 27 2014 - 11:40 AM

View PostMawnkey, on July 27 2014 - 11:27 AM, said:

As I said earlier in the thread, if population goes up they're gonna need to implement another skill tier. Dumping "Good" players in with "The sky is the limit" is incredibly discouraging. To go from "awful" to "OK" takes a couple hours, "OK" to "good" a couple weeks to a month, "good" to "very good" probably several months, meanwhile the entire time you're just getting roflstomped by the fact that there's no ceiling on the tier you're in for opponent skill. I'm not saying I don't accept taking my licks while I learn, it's just that spending all your time at the bottom of the heap undermines any confidence you spent time building in lower tiers and really makes you start to question your abilities.

Bottom line is that the amount of time and effort required to actually acquire the skills to participate in the upper tier can be far longer than the time it takes to actually find yourself dumped in it. (This is the feeling I get in most 2k+ games)
While this is a solution, I don't know if I'd like it. It would keep guys like me from playing with those people who just entered the "big boy" league and helping them get better. I personally don't always focus on ROFL stomping people. I tend to try and help out a guy that I see who is having trouble, but that's just me. Not saying I have a better solution, just saying this one would make me sad. :(

I honestly think that a lot of the skill gap problems could be solved if a lot of the more experienced players were willing to teach the newer guys. But we can't control what others do, so I guess that kind of a solution won't be as easy to achieve.

Edited by SoldierHobbes11, July 27 2014 - 11:42 AM.

#67 Meraple

Meraple

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted July 27 2014 - 12:55 PM

View PostSoldierHobbes11, on July 27 2014 - 11:40 AM, said:

I honestly think that a lot of the skill gap problems could be solved if a lot of the more experienced players were willing to teach the newer guys. But we can't control what others do, so I guess that kind of a solution won't be as easy to achieve.

Ever heard of that place called the internet, where people never listen_

Posted Image

Spoiler

#68 stinkinglamb44

stinkinglamb44

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationThe killcam

Posted August 06 2014 - 09:24 AM

There's not much of a "secret", "tip", or "trick" that will get you to live, just play your best close-medium range dueling mech and stay with 2-5 teammates and you'll live. In deathmatch, just keep off the radar for as long as possible and play the mech you're best at.
I'm winning.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users