HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

PC off crash.

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 StAtiC9

StAtiC9

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted May 16 2014 - 10:51 PM

It's likely been brought to the devs attention before, but I just need to reiterate that the crash that causes your PC to simply shut itself off needs to be dealt with. Since I've started playing (perhaps 2 weeks or so ago) my PC has shut itself off numerous (16_) times while running Hawken in the lobby/garage screen. While it was a humurous, but annoying, occurance at first, it has now become an intolerable nuiscance. I realize that the game is in beta, but a simple google search reveals that this is a common occurance to many players of the game and it needs to be addressed ASAP. Love you guys, love the game, but this last crash nearly led to an entire OS wipe and reinstall. After the crash my PC wouldn't boot and went into repair mode. At the end of it, my PC determined that the installation of my OS was corrupt and would need to be reinstalled. Fortunately, after I restarted, Windows (7, 64-bit, Home Premium) booted without issue. This should be a number one priorty guys. Before new mechs, before new cosmetics, before anything else. It's been rumored that this is simply an optimization issue causing a system overheat, but as I am not receiving any "beeps" to accompany the crash, I have to wonder. Please devs, fix it before you lose new players, as this is surely a detrement to your bottome line.

#2 RunaPanda

RunaPanda

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts
  • LocationTrolling you where ever you go :3

Posted May 16 2014 - 10:56 PM

First of all this should be in support.

Second, sounds to me that your PC is either A: Overheating, B: Using up to much power and overloading your PSU, or C: You've got a bad Windows configuration. Lastly, beeps and other noises are not present with an overheat/power failure shutdown, the system simply shuts down. The safety systems trip and it simply shuts off without warning, no beeps, no on screen messages no nothing.
Intel i7 5960X @ 4.7Ghz| DDR4  3200 @ CAS 14|SLIed Quad GTX 980|Kingspec 1TB PCIe SSD/ 4x 3TB HDDs|Logitech G502 Proteus Core|Razer DeathStalker Ultimate|Occulus Rift|3xAsus ROG Swift PG278Q|Asus ROG Xonar Phoebus|Wrapped up in a sexy Corsair Obsidian 900D w/ Custom Laser etching

#3 Aims

Aims

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted May 16 2014 - 11:09 PM

Crashes which cause the computer to simply shut off are generally power supply issues. Make sure your power supply is potent enough to feed your graphics card and cpu, etc. This happened to me for a while personally.

Otherwise yeah the other obvious thing is to check the heat.

#4 Brycko

Brycko

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • LocationA place in physical space

Posted May 16 2014 - 11:16 PM

I'm not a super tech guy, but would it have anything to do with your RAM running out_
Otherwise please describe how hot your computer gets during these crashes, or even just system specs
so it's easier to judge.

#5 nokari

nokari

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted May 16 2014 - 11:20 PM

The source of the problem is not the game. Like the others said, any time your computer shuts itself off is either a power or heat problem with your hardware. The issue could be excessive dust causing a short, insufficient/failing power supply, overheating CPU, etc.

Posted Image

#6 Animal_Instinct

Animal_Instinct

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationMadrid, Spain

Posted May 16 2014 - 11:32 PM

It happened to me 2 weeks ago too. It's caused by your graphic card having a problem with something in your pc.
In my case it was after installing the lastest nvidia drivers (335.23), and I finally discovered a problem between the nvidia drivers and my outdated Realtek HD sound drivers. So I just updated them and problem solved.

Anyways make sure you have no malware or power supply problems too.

My specs:

i7-4770 cpu @ 3.40GHz
16 gb  RAM
geforce gtx 670
Wnidows 7 64bit home premium

#7 DaPheel

DaPheel

EXPLOSIONS_

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,787 posts
  • LocationU.K.

Posted May 16 2014 - 11:41 PM

View PostStAtiC9, on May 16 2014 - 10:51 PM, said:

It's likely been brought to the devs attention before, but I just need to reiterate that the crash that causes your PC to simply shut itself off needs to be dealt with. Since I've started playing (perhaps 2 weeks or so ago) my PC has shut itself off numerous (16_) times while running Hawken in the lobby/garage screen. While it was a humurous, but annoying, occurance at first, it has now become an intolerable nuiscance. I realize that the game is in beta, but a simple google search reveals that this is a common occurance to many players of the game and it needs to be addressed ASAP. Love you guys, love the game, but this last crash nearly led to an entire OS wipe and reinstall. After the crash my PC wouldn't boot and went into repair mode. At the end of it, my PC determined that the installation of my OS was corrupt and would need to be reinstalled. Fortunately, after I restarted, Windows (7, 64-bit, Home Premium) booted without issue. This should be a number one priorty guys. Before new mechs, before new cosmetics, before anything else. It's been rumored that this is simply an optimization issue causing a system overheat, but as I am not receiving any "beeps" to accompany the crash, I have to wonder. Please devs, fix it before you lose new players, as this is surely a detrement to your bottome line.

Wow, this problem hasn't shown up for a while!
In the advanced graphic options, there's one called "capped smooth fram rate" check that box.

The garage menu runs at a much higher framerate, and on sometimes it can cause this problem. Basically, the framerate runs too high, your graphics card gets really hot and then the pc oveheats and cuts out. Should solve the problem. ;)

Either that, or it's an excuse to put MOAR FANS in the p.c. :lol:
Posted Image"OFFICIAL SHIELD BEARER"
Spoiler

#8 Aims

Aims

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted May 16 2014 - 11:49 PM

View PostDaPheel, on May 16 2014 - 11:41 PM, said:

Wow, this problem hasn't shown up for a while!
In the advanced graphic options, there's one called "capped smooth fram rate" check that box.

The garage menu runs at a much higher framerate, and on sometimes it can cause this problem. Basically, the framerate runs too high, your graphics card gets really hot and then the pc oveheats and cuts out. Should solve the problem. ;)

Either that, or it's an excuse to put MOAR FANS in the p.c. :lol:

Didn't know about that, sounds like quite a likely culprit also.

#9 Spliff_Craven

Spliff_Craven

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,237 posts

Posted May 17 2014 - 12:16 AM

View PostStAtiC9, on May 16 2014 - 10:51 PM, said:

Dude I had the same problem. It is not your powersupply.
It is your graphics card driver. Roll it back to the "last know stable config".
So if you were last stable 2 weeks ago... use the video driver from that time. For me I had to roll back to January's patch.

also:
Disable sli and use the second grafix card for phys-x.

I also run windows 7 pro. I have 24 gig ram a quad core hyperthreaded and for graphics cards I have 2 NVidia 560ti's.

Send me a pm for more info.

Edited by Spliff_Craven, May 17 2014 - 12:18 AM.

#10 SS396

SS396

Kernel Panic

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,258 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted May 17 2014 - 03:05 PM

I don't really understand how you can point the finger at hawken, there are so many other things that could be conflicting or just plain bad, that I find your accusations to be hilarious.

If you want someone to blame, you have to start at each of the hundreds of manufacturers and then work your way to the hundreds of software companies that you have their drivers installed and then finally at the root of the problem, micro$oft.

The question is if you were running Linux would you be experiencing the same problem.

Now on to the issue.

First, you don't mention if you are overclocking anything(cpu, memory or gpu), I suspect you are at least modifying one or all.

If you are then set everything back to normal factory clock speeds and then start fresh from there.  

Check to make sure your memory is the correct speed/mode.

Next, get some monitoring/logging software, and do some stress tests.

Monitor your cpu temps, I use core temp R6

Check your cpu brand for a tjmax value, that's the max temp your processor can hit.

Adjust cpu fan speeds in the bios.

And lastly get prime95 and do a full cpu stress test while watching cpu temps and voltage

If you can run prime95 for 8+ hours and it doesn't fuzzy bunny out then I'd turn your attention to the gpu.

Use a program like msi afterburner or evga precision x, and set a higher fan curve and monitor gpu temps.

Then get some benchmark software that can stress out the gpu, evga has some decent software that runs with precision x

Also get some ram testing software, like memtest86, and let that run for a day or so.

Either way, you should be able to figure out the culprit, cpu/gpu over temp, or voltage issue.

You should be able to search for some livecds of some testing branches of Linux to automatically run a suite of tests for you.  You'd just have to download, burn and boot.

Good luck
# while true; do echo "Post"; done

#11 CapAllan

CapAllan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationFitting my Incinerator's cockpit with neon lights and a 7.1 surround sound speaker system at Loui's Garage, Illal

Posted June 20 2014 - 12:36 PM

My computer doesn't shut down or anything, but the game just freezes and crashes. It stutters, you think its gonna recover, then boom! Game crashed. The frequency of game crashes is on the rise and I can only play about 1 match at a time without crashing(max 2; I go around dancing when the game doesn't crash and the next match opens up.). So if you guys see me on the field, please don't expect me to be there through the game. I might just "CapAllan has left the battlefield".

Does anybody else have this problem_ If so how do I fix it_
(I play at lowest settings. I don't mind playing so as long as I am able to fight.)
I also created a .bat file which terminates windows explorer plus other background apps. This smoothed the game, but crashes persists.Sorry guys, but I can't upgrade my PC.
Posted Image

#12 StubbornPuppet

StubbornPuppet

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted June 20 2014 - 01:33 PM

When I first started playing, I was using a program called MotionJoy to let me use a PS3 controller.  It turns out that not only was MotionJoy a clever piece of spyware, but it was also causing the Unreal engine to crash and shut down.  The game would be going along fine... working with my controller... then the screen would start to freeze up and the game would just completely shut down.

I completely removed MotionJoy and the game has never crashed since.  Now, I have a physical adapter that lets me use my PS3 controllers and it's working great.

#13 phoenix07

phoenix07

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted June 20 2014 - 11:59 PM

A temporary solution to the problem of overheating, the CPU can be modified tower heatsink, or increase the system fan in the chassis.
FPS requires a lot of graphics computing, using outdated hardware device to run the game, make the computer have been in a state of high load, the system will overheat, perhaps upgrade CPU or graphics card will solve the problem.
You can also check the operating system's program, whether the unnecessarily program works in the background , increase the burden on the system.

#14 ReEvolve

ReEvolve

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted June 21 2014 - 12:41 AM

View PostCapAllan, on June 20 2014 - 12:36 PM, said:

My computer doesn't shut down or anything, but

If you don't have the same problem please open a separate thread in the Support forum next time otherwise your posts may get buried. :)

My computer doesn't shut down or anything, but the game just freezes and crashes. It stutters, you think its gonna recover, then boom! Game crashed. The frequency of game crashes is on the rise and I can only play about 1 match at a time without crashing(max 2; I go around dancing when the game doesn't crash and the next match opens up.). So if you guys see me on the field, please don't expect me to be there through the game. I might just "CapAllan has left the battlefield".

Do you get an error window in WIndows right after the crash_

What are your specs_ (You can use the program "Speccy" if you don't know how to get information about your PC components)

Did you already check if there are Hawken-related error records in the Windows even viewer_ If so please post the exact wording of the error title and error description in this thread.

#15 CapAllan

CapAllan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationFitting my Incinerator's cockpit with neon lights and a 7.1 surround sound speaker system at Loui's Garage, Illal

Posted June 26 2014 - 07:25 AM

View PostReEvolve, on June 21 2014 - 12:41 AM, said:

If you don't have the same problem please open a separate thread in the Support forum next time otherwise your posts may get buried. :)
I did create a page and also filled a ticket in the support page : Some Of My Personal Suggestions! - Suggestions - HAWKEN Forums - Multiplayer Mech Combat - Hawken: War is A Machine

View Postphoenix07, on June 20 2014 - 11:59 PM, said:

A temporary solution to the problem of overheating, the CPU can be modified tower heatsink, or increase the system fan in the chassis.
FPS requires a lot of graphics computing, using outdated hardware device to run the game, make the computer have been in a state of high load, the system will overheat, perhaps upgrade CPU or graphics card will solve the problem.
You can also check the operating system's program, whether the unnecessarily program works in the background , increase the burden on the system.
As I said, I'm not a rich guy and I don't have a lot of money. So upgrading my PC or installing new fans are out of the question. (How do you modify the tower heatsink_ I'm a newbie you know.) Will leaving the cabinet open help_ I also created a .bat file which kills a lot of the background processes (including windows explorer) before executing the game. It made the game smooth, but sad to say still crashes. :blink: :wacko: :unsure: :huh: :angry:
Posted Image

#16 ReEvolve

ReEvolve

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted June 26 2014 - 07:34 AM

View PostCapAllan, on June 26 2014 - 07:25 AM, said:

I did create a page and also filled a ticket in the support page : Some Of My Personal Suggestions! - Suggestions - HAWKEN Forums - Multiplayer Mech Combat - Hawken: War is A Machine

You mentioned the crashes in a thread in the Suggestions forum but I asked you to create a separate thread in the Support forum and include the following informaton:

Do you get an error window in WIndows right after the crash_

What are your specs_ (You can use the program "Speccy" if you don't know how to get information about your PC components)

Did you already check if there are Hawken-related error records in the Windows even viewer_ If so please post the exact wording of the error title and error description in this thread.

#17 CapAllan

CapAllan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted June 26 2014 - 10:01 AM

Love the zergling :P ;) :D .  My friend told me that the game crashes due to my slow internet speed. Plus I had already submitted a ticket in the suggestions forum and I submitted one again. Here are my specs nevertheless. Is Bruiser your favourite mech_ :ph34r: Mine too! Don't have the cash to buy one though :D . Specs link : https://drive.google...dit_usp=sharing
Posted Image

#18 ReEvolve

ReEvolve

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted June 26 2014 - 01:54 PM

View PostCapAllan, on June 26 2014 - 10:01 AM, said:

My friend told me that the game crashes due to my slow internet speed.

Your friend is wrong about the cause of the crashes. Your game crashes because your computer doesn't meet the minimum hardware requirements of the game. Your integrated graphics card is too weak.

Posted Image

View PostCapAllan, on June 26 2014 - 10:01 AM, said:

Plus I had already submitted a ticket in the suggestions forum and I submitted one again.

Sorry mate but I don't know what you are talking about. You cannot submit tickets in a forum. You can create threads. Threads and tickets are two different things. I think you confused the Support page (official support team) and the Support forum (unofficial support by players).

Anyway, it doesn't matter. ;) The cause for your crashes is that your graphics card is too weak to run Hawken.

#19 CapAllan

CapAllan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted June 29 2014 - 11:56 AM

Hey buddy! I was thinking off buying a graphics card anyway. Any suggestions_ I'm looking for something cheap. It doesn't matter whether it can run the game in all its glory.  I just wan't to play(Is there a cheap card which gives balance between quality and performance). Budget is 50-117$. I had disabled voice chat as it takes up my bandwidth. But the voice comments of other players keep popping up. How do I shut that off_ By support forum, I meant that "Support" thingy at the top. Thanks for everything. You really made my day. :) ;) :D ^_^ B) :rolleyes:

Edited by CapAllan, June 29 2014 - 11:58 AM.

Posted Image

#20 ReEvolve

ReEvolve

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted June 30 2014 - 05:22 AM

View PostCapAllan, on June 29 2014 - 11:56 AM, said:

Hey buddy! I was thinking off buying a graphics card anyway. Any suggestions_ I'm looking for something cheap. It doesn't matter whether it can run the game in all its glory.  I just wan't to play(Is there a cheap card which gives balance between quality and performance). Budget is 50-117$.

Sorry, I'm not good at finding good deals for hardware components. Your new graphics card should be more powerful than a nvidia 9800 GTX though.

View PostCapAllan, on June 29 2014 - 11:56 AM, said:

I had disabled voice chat as it takes up my bandwidth. But the voice comments of other players keep popping up. How do I shut that off_ By support forum, I meant that "Support" thingy at the top. Thanks for everything. You really made my day. :) ;) :D ^_^ B) :rolleyes:

There is no way to completely turn off voice chat. You can just choose wether you want to use it yourself or not. Just turn down the "other player volume".

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users