HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Download stand-alone installation_

Game

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Inacurate

Inacurate

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationBedford, NH

Posted October 26 2012 - 04:36 AM

I asked the same question in the Alpha, but by the time I asked it was over so never bothered to follow up.  Now that I have the opportunity to play, I am.

Please provide a download link for the full client and not just an installer that will then download the client.

Thank you.  :)
No Surrender.  No Retreat.

#2 Elix

Elix

Good Guy Elix

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,228 posts
  • LocationFred's cockpit

Posted October 26 2012 - 04:38 AM

Why do you want that_ That's not how Hawken's set up, that's not how the beta's set up, and I REALLY don't think you're going to convince Adhesive to divert resources that right now are being put 100% behind the closed beta to packaging a standalone installer just because it pleases you.

The only thing I could think of is that you'd want to be able to keep the game installable after the beta period ends, which is not what this is for.

Edited by Elix, October 26 2012 - 04:39 AM.

HAWKEN Community Values (updated!)

ETA for $feature_you_want to be added to Hawken Open Beta: Imminent™
See someone breaking the rules_ Don't reply, just hit Report. I am a player, not staff.
Drinking game: Check the daily stats. If I'm not the top, DRINK! (I'm joking!)

#3 Lithium03

Lithium03

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted October 26 2012 - 04:40 AM

Wouldn't matter as the launcher also handles updating, so it's needed.

#4 Inacurate

Inacurate

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationBedford, NH

Posted October 26 2012 - 05:02 AM

View PostElix, on October 26 2012 - 04:38 AM, said:

Why do you want that_ That's not how Hawken's set up, that's not how the beta's set up, and I REALLY don't think you're going to convince Adhesive to divert resources that right now are being put 100% behind the closed beta to packaging a standalone installer just because it pleases you.

The only thing I could think of is that you'd want to be able to keep the game installable after the beta period ends, which is not what this is for.

It's actually even more simple (and ridiculous IMO, but sadly not avoidable):  I merely desire to download the game at work and not at home.  I have no clue what the file size is of the entire client (Which should be provided at some point prior to download) and unfortunately, I have bandwidth considerations to keep in mind.  :(

#5 Elix

Elix

Good Guy Elix

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,228 posts
  • LocationFred's cockpit

Posted October 26 2012 - 05:04 AM

It's about 1.3GB, give or take. Or at least it was for the initial install. Adhesive's promised a patch before the servers go live, so I don't know what the final damage's going to be.

See someone breaking the rules_ Don't reply, just hit Report. I am a player, not staff.

#6 Lithium03

Lithium03

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted October 26 2012 - 05:04 AM

iirc it's ~1,800MB, it states that when you start the download, so it's not just a slow scrolling bar.

#7 Inacurate

Inacurate

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationBedford, NH

Posted October 26 2012 - 05:21 AM

Thank you both for understanding and not coming back with some inane reply!

Under 2GB is not that bad.  If they would only say that somewhere before the process was started, like on the download page.... :)

I'd still prefer a stand alone install mind you, but 2GB is at least manageable.  Such an option would be necessary for anyone who has issues with the installer, corruption, etc.  Things like that can happen which is the point of having a stand alone installer!  They'll get there eventually I imagine.

Edited by Inacurate, October 26 2012 - 05:22 AM.

#8 Elix

Elix

Good Guy Elix

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,228 posts
  • LocationFred's cockpit

Posted October 26 2012 - 05:41 AM

This's still closed beta, where things can change on an hourly basis. Expect things to settle down a bit more when open beta launches and Hawken heads towards full (1.0) release.

#9 Saint_The_Judge

Saint_The_Judge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts
  • LocationThird World

Posted October 26 2012 - 05:45 AM

I understand your POV. I miss those times when the clients were independent. Hawken's way is not bad at all, though. At least you don't have to have your browser and/or a third party spyware open to play it.
Once a girl asked me in a chat: "-ASL_" I answered: "- Very old, impotent, third world." And she got out the room. Posted Image

#10 Inacurate

Inacurate

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationBedford, NH

Posted October 26 2012 - 05:53 AM

View PostSaint_The_Judge, on October 26 2012 - 05:45 AM, said:

I understand your POV. I miss those times when the clients were independent. Hawken's way is not bad at all, though. At least you don't have to have your browser and/or a third party spyware open to play it.

I believe Steam, and possibly some other crappy digital services (Origin, Ubi-whatever, etc) also does not allow for "offline installs" directly.  There's at least a way with Steam however, downloading at work and then making a backup of the files to transfer over, so that's something and certainly meets my needs.

EVE Online has a similar setup as Hawken and they too provide an offline client installer that I've used in the past.  It's really not as unheard of as you may think!  A lot of developers typically provide it for troubleshooting purposes and the small percentage of people who prefer to acquire their games in that method.

I'm super excited to finally play and hope I can this weekend!  I have a co-worker who played in the Alpha and loved it.  I miss the MechWarrior days and hoping this game has stepped up to provide similar experiences, if not better!!! :)

#11 Elix

Elix

Good Guy Elix

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,228 posts
  • LocationFred's cockpit

Posted October 26 2012 - 05:58 AM

Depending on exactly what kind of experience you're looking for, you might actually want to keep an eye out for the Mechwarrior Online open beta which should be starting soon. And I'm not saying that to try and drive you away or denigrate Hawken at all. However, Hawken is very fast-paced in its action, and maps are fairly small. The traditional pace for Mechwarrior is slow and tactical over large maps with a lot of sim elements.

There's nothing wrong with either of these, but make sure you're chasing the one you want.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Game

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users