HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

War Wednesdays, by TAW.

Announcement Event Community Video

• Please log in to reply
487 replies to this topic

#1 ticklemyiguana

ticklemyiguana

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,121 posts

Posted June 25 2014 - 06:51 PM

Welcome to Weekly War Wednesdays, by The Art of Warfare. Next event is October 29th!
I am awful at updating this thread, but this still happens every single Wednesday. Every one. And it kicks ass.

Posted Image
Spoiler

Weekly War Wednesdays is an event inspired by a single experience-the experience of a solid, communicative game within Hawken. It's an event based around the TAW teamspeak server (ts.taw.net) and is organized by several dedicated members of the Hawken community.

The event starts at 9PM EST every Wednesday. Here's how you sign up:

Reply to this thread expressing some interest, or send me a message. Either way I will get back to you before the event. I will ask you for your MMR (available by adding "scrimbot" in game, and messaging it "mmr". The first number it returns is your MMR, or matchmaking rating.)
We ask for this because it is the most accurate quantification of skill that we have available at the moment, and we use it to divide groups into teams of comparable skill. Unlike matchmaking, we work under ideal conditions, meaning we have communication with everyone before the match starts, and everyone you want to play with is available for the event. Furthermore, we don't add new players to servers unless we have two people of comparable skill ready to join. If someone leaves, we have TAW members in every game willing to sit on the sidelines to keep the game going.

This event is about playing Hawken in its ideal form. Communication. Balance. And a hell of a lot of fun. You will meet new people, you might even face a challenge or two. And if you're tired of trying hard, there are always some people online willing to go a couple rounds of nonsense games on one of the several private servers we have available to us.

That brings us to our next point:

This event would be so much less without the cooperation of this community-namely the clans Hyper Friendship Cannon/Super Awesome Sparkle Cakes, Omni, and Violent Resolution, as well as the TPG League. Each group has made the decision to donate their servers every Wednesday night for the purposes of Weekly War Wednesdays. That means we have the ability to run not one, not two but four games side by side-all without the hassle of organizing six v six squad matches. Wanna play a 3v3_ No problem here. Friendly fire_ No repairs_ Ok. Bunker siege_ Why not_ This is a community event made by community members. If you can get some players up for something, you are welcome to try it here, so bring your friends!

So how do I get in on this_ Well, first you're going to want to let me know somehow. Then you're going to want to download TeamSpeak 3. (Please have a mic handy.)Then you're going to want to add ts.taw.net. Now, our TS server is big. We have a lot of games in TAW-so you're going to want to go to the very top, where it says TAW Teamspeak 3 Channel, right click, and unsubscribe from everything. Then open up VII Corps[GI, HK, MC, NW & WS] once you're there, click on [HK] Hawken (subscribe to channel family) and open up The Scrap Yard (Lobby). You won't be able to move there, but click on a name in it (find someone with a military rank on it) and message them that you're here for WWW and ask to be moved down. As soon as they see it, they will happily oblige.

We do have one rule.
Be polite. We have a "no foul language" policy on our servers that applies to our members in particular. It's generally rather lax, but it's in place because TAW is a very large organization spanning many countries and all age groups. Some of our members have children, and some of them don't have headphones.
If someone asks you to refrain from cursing, please do so. It is unlikely this rule will follow you into the game, as we put each team in their own subchannels, and that usually filters out people trying to limit that sort of language, though not always. Please be respectful of your fellow players.

The rule has a corollary. Scanners are discouraged in game, as are more than two of the same mechs on a team. Both have some game-breaking potential, and it's just not polite to break a game that we're all trying to play. If people in game agree that these are ok, by all means, go ahead and use them. It's your game, we're just trying to make it work as well as possible.

So what can I expect_
Balance, communication, and fun. If people are streaming, I am often sitting out and watching the streams, continually making sure the games are going the way they should. If a game gets too lopsided, and I'm paying attention (sometimes I have to play a game or two for the purpose of keeping the balance, and this distracts me a bit) I'll check into the game's channels and ask how things are going and reorganize them if necessary. I also check in pretty intermittently regardless of how they are going. Things aren't perfect, but we do our best to make it work.

Every team gets their own channel to communicate with their team, and exclusively their team, and each game will have at least one TAW member in it to make sure things are going smoothly and stay in communication with both teams when necessary. (We have members all the way up into the 2600 range, so there's no dead weight on your team.)
Not every game is serious though! Plenty of people bring beer and liquor to the event and just play for a night of fun. Each game is a little different, and each player goes a long way to creating that atmosphere.

Wanna see some games_

Rei's perspective:
http://www.twitch.tv...ckpit/c/4634845

CraftyDus' perspective:
http://www.twitch.tv...tydus/c/4632235

x9x8x7x's perspective:
http://www.twitch.tv/x9x8x7x/c/4631996

Hyginos' perspective:
http://www.twitch.tv/hyginos/c/4585835

Wolfrock's perspective:
http://www.twitch.tv...frock/c/5101336

LoC_Tr's perspective:
http://www.twitch.tv/LoC___

Archmech's perspective:
http://www.twitch.tv/arcanicflame

If you've got videos on your account, post them here!
See you soon.

Events Complete: 16ish maybe more! I don't know! Can't count much higher!

P.S.
It's my personal belief that events like this will help to maintain and even grow Hawken's playerbase. It will give all of us more people to play with at any given time, give us all better people to practice with, and overall will help make the game more fun.
If you want to promote this event on this basis, please feel free.

I would also appreciate you guys checking out well-known community member, hestoned's steam group for forming games in Hawken. Here's the thread:

https://community.pl...-forming-games/
And, if one community event a week isn't enough for you, check out Weezl3's Funtime Fridays hosted on vR's TS server.
https://community.pl...untime-fridays/

How about some deathmatch_
https://community.pl...day-deathmatch/
From the EU region_
https://community.pl...ay/#entry565169

GET ON DEM EVENTS.

Edited by ticklemyiguana, October 23 2014 - 12:06 AM.

Posted Image

#2 Hyginos

Hyginos

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted June 25 2014 - 07:15 PM

9pm what time zone_
On second thought let's not go to #hawkenscrim. Tis a silly place.
Watch me pretend to be good at Hawken (Twitch).
...And recordings thereof (Youtube)

#3 Xpander

Xpander

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted June 25 2014 - 07:19 PM

Big fan, would love to see this happen. Schedule is a mess but I'd love to try to make it.

#4 ticklemyiguana

ticklemyiguana

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,121 posts

Posted June 25 2014 - 07:23 PM

View PostHyginos, on June 25 2014 - 07:15 PM, said:

9pm what time zone_
Eastern at the moment. Will update for rules.
Posted Image

#5 dontmindme

dontmindme

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted June 25 2014 - 07:31 PM

Sounds like a good idea.  Best of luck.

#6 TwentyFirstPilot

TwentyFirstPilot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 968 posts
  • LocationCanterstomp, Mechquestria

Posted June 25 2014 - 07:42 PM

This sounds great! I'll hit you guys up when I get back to my rig early August.

Aspiring Professional Yolodriver

View PostAmidatelion, on May 24 2014 - 01:36 AM, said:

Yeah, but dude, we are at 1750. As much as we would like to be Professional Yolodrivers like you [Meraple] and Lightangel112, we're not there yet. It's something to aspire to, sure, but there's a lot of ground to cover.

View Postcomic_sans, on October 31 2014 - 05:50 PM, said:

SS, you wanna fight me_  I'm druuuuuunk_____ You could maybe win_!!

#7 LoC_TR

LoC_TR

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted June 25 2014 - 08:17 PM

Sure!

Posted Image

vR-Gaming

Raider Vids>>>Twitch Youtube<<<Raider Vids 2500mmr

Fuzzy Bunny Stats

#8 Silverfire

Silverfire

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,042 posts
  • LocationThe Depths of Coruscant

Posted June 25 2014 - 08:33 PM

I'm busy at 9 pm EST on Wednesdays... :( Sounds like fun though.

How long does this run_ Maybe I can catch the tail end of this thingamabob.

Posted Image

Check out my new short film Prebirth: The Eternal War! Check out my e-peen!

Need to find a mech guide_ Well, look here!
Intel Core i3 2120 @ 3.30 GHz |  Corsair XMS3 8GB RAM | eVGA GTX 550Ti 1GB OC | Corsair CX600 PSU

#9 Merl61

Merl61

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • LocationDoing wizard stuff...

Posted June 25 2014 - 08:45 PM

View PostSilverfire, on June 25 2014 - 08:33 PM, said:

I'm busy at 9 pm EST on Wednesdays... :( Sounds like fun though.

How long does this run_ Maybe I can catch the tail end of this thingamabob.
That's a shame:( It should run as long as there are still people playing, so it's possible for you to catch some games. Also, I don't believe that it was mentioned in the op, but all of these matches will be occurring on the central servers.
Posted Image

#10 Hocisern

Hocisern

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
  • LocationAlbuquerque NM

Posted June 25 2014 - 10:30 PM

sounds fun!

#11 Ade_the_Rare

Ade_the_Rare

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted June 25 2014 - 10:35 PM

Sounds awesome, except that it starts at 2am here :(

Posted Image

#12 Aregon

Aregon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,349 posts
  • LocationDistrict 19, Kobalt, Crion, Illal

Posted June 26 2014 - 01:00 AM

Just ignore me, I`m simply here to stalk what`s happening...

:ph34r:
I`ll fix it later.

#13 ticklemyiguana

ticklemyiguana

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,121 posts

Posted June 26 2014 - 04:00 AM

View PostAregon, on June 26 2014 - 01:00 AM, said:

We can't ignore you. Your signature is broken.
Posted Image

#14 Aregon

Aregon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,349 posts
  • LocationDistrict 19, Kobalt, Crion, Illal

Posted June 26 2014 - 05:01 AM

View Postticklemyiguana, on June 26 2014 - 04:00 AM, said:

View PostAregon, on June 26 2014 - 01:00 AM, said:

We can't ignore you. Your signature is broken.
I CAN`T FIX IT OK_ I AM NO ENGINEER.
I`ll fix it later.

#15 PoopSlinger

PoopSlinger

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  • LocationWestern Wisconsin

Posted June 26 2014 - 05:24 AM

I didn't check the forum yesterday.  Can we make it War Thursday and play tonight_

#16 ticklemyiguana

ticklemyiguana

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,121 posts

Posted June 26 2014 - 05:42 AM

View PostPoopSlinger, on June 26 2014 - 05:24 AM, said:

I didn't check the forum yesterday.  Can we make it War Thursday and play tonight_
We have an optional practice tonight that I'm sure you'd be welcome to join. I won't be around but try DarkIcarus or other TAW members that are around the forums.

It won't be quite the same, as our Thursday optionals generally focus on one aspect of the game, but it'll end at ten, and there will be plenty of members on during and after that you can play with.

Edited by ticklemyiguana, June 26 2014 - 05:44 AM.

Posted Image

#17 Onebullit

Onebullit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted June 26 2014 - 07:56 AM

View Postticklemyiguana, on June 26 2014 - 05:42 AM, said:

...our Thursday optionals generally focus on one aspect of the game,

How to be a b!tch and use 3 incins, 1 gren and 2 techs in a spammy "high lvl" Siege game.
Ahaha.....

><(((((°> - - - - - - - - - - -  ><((°> ><((°> ><((°>

HAЩKEИ ---> hawken

Member of: Critical Assist

#18 ticklemyiguana

ticklemyiguana

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,121 posts

Posted June 26 2014 - 08:06 AM

View PostOnebullit, on June 26 2014 - 07:56 AM, said:

How to be a b!tch and use 3 incins, 1 gren and 2 techs in a spammy "high lvl" Siege game.
Ahaha.....
Yeah. Playing a pub game with one of my friends two or three weeks ago and teaching him how to use the incin is totally spamming the incin is a "high level"siege game. Pretty sure you're thinking of something else. I remember that game. I had no control over anyone else. You could have controlled how much you complained though.

Edited by ticklemyiguana, June 26 2014 - 08:07 AM.

Posted Image

#19 Onebullit

Onebullit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted June 26 2014 - 08:07 AM

View Postticklemyiguana, on June 26 2014 - 08:06 AM, said:

Ahaha.....
Yeah. Playing a pub game with one of my friends two or three weeks ago and teaching him how to use the incin is totally spamming the incin is a "high level"siege game. Pretty sure you're thinking of something else. I remember that game. I had no control over anyone else. You could have controlled how much you complained though.
:D whatever ....

Edit: btw, shouldn't this thread be in Community Events section of the forum _

Edited by Onebullit, June 26 2014 - 08:12 AM.

><(((((°> - - - - - - - - - - -  ><((°> ><((°> ><((°>

HAЩKEИ ---> hawken

Member of: Critical Assist

#20 ticklemyiguana

ticklemyiguana

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,121 posts

Posted June 26 2014 - 08:32 AM

View PostOnebullit, on June 26 2014 - 08:07 AM, said:

View Postticklemyiguana, on June 26 2014 - 08:06 AM, said:

Ahaha.....
:D whatever ....

Edit: btw, shouldn't this thread be in Community Events section of the forum _

Meh. Considering how few people check it. Yes, no, maybe.
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Announcement, Event, Community, Video

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users