HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Development Update: 06/28/2014

• Please log in to reply
215 replies to this topic

#1 [HWK]HUGHES

[HWK]HUGHES

the Drinker of Coffee

• Adhesive Games
  • 804 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted June 28 2014 - 04:44 PM

Posted Image

Hello Everyone!

So here I sit on a Saturday afternoon at home, putting the finishing touches on a Development Update since it wasn't something I was able to finish before I went home last night. Granted at about 8:30pm I went out for wings and beer with some team members but I decided at that point in the evening, I had put in a decent day and could finish up what was needed on Saturday. I know all of you would have loved to have something up yesterday instead but well... here we are today.

I tend to take time on such postings, going over them again and again because that's just how I function by default. This Development Update in particular has proven tricky for me and I have stared at a blinking cursor perhaps more than I have in the past. Why is that_ I think it's pretty clear that expectations become increasingly higher as time passes regardless of what daily level of communication we have with everyone. People want the meat, the future, a glimpse into what's coming and not a lot of concrete details have been shared recently.

It's funny because as I type this I'm wondering how much will remain after ZC reads it and offers his feedback on what should be changed... There's a reason why people like me aren't community managers and why I have someone like ZC to protect me from myself.

Something that's happening with the project right now is a bit of incurred technical debt that continues to surface and impacts the goals of the company as a whole, not just HAWKEN. We have contracted an external strike team to resolve some of this technical debt and even for them, it takes time. I'll dive into a little more detail on what's going on with this in a below section but it won't change the fact that you, the dedicated players want to know what's coming up.

The forums these days are a rainbow of fruit flavors which include speculation, hunger, love, anger, frustration, apathy and passion. Some will be satisfied with this Development Update, some won't. I'll refrain from giving my prediction on what those percentages will be but regardless of your reaction, I want to make sure that something is clear.

HAWKEN represents years of dedication from some talented people and if you think anyone has stopped caring about what happens with the game, well... that's just crazy talk! It's a true passion for many of you and for those working on the project it means also our livelihood, careers and families. Now ultimately, all of that doesn't matter. It doesn't. If you come into our restaurant and an oil fire erupts in the kitchen, it has zero bearing on your desire as a customer to have a nice meal and share a romantic candlelit evening with your loved one. It's our responsibility to put the fire out and move forward with remodeling and sharing the wine list at the same time. Just because you smell smoke in the dining room though, that doesn't mean the kitchen doesn't know there's a fire.

Nobody has forgotten about the community either, but sometimes there just aren't new and exciting things to talk about. Add this to being constantly reminded of things we're also frustrated with, the more destructive tones that have surfaced recently and it becomes a less and less attractive place to spend your time. I mention this purely to remind everyone of the human aspect of our jobs, we are only human after all. You will see plenty of postings, but they aren't always obvious and sometimes get buried. I'll ask people here to make some more noise.

MIGRATION STATUS / STABILITY
As discussed in the last Development Update, we are in the process of migrating databases which includes new software and new hardware. This is still ongoing but has also continued to cause some hiccups in services recently. We had a failing on the new database hardware on Monday and that took HAWKEN down for a while as a more recent example. The further down the rabbit hole we go with this migration, the more issues that tend to surface. It impacts stability in live without question, sometimes taking the service down completely for small chunks of time. It goes without saying this isn't a desired result but the strike team is working on this every day. We have a room in our company wide IM service that's an ongoing conversation on the status of services, servers and automated alarms. I assure you it's a non-stop topic. We are however starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel and we're really looking forward to that time!

HACKING
The forums are sometimes ablaze with the discussion of new potential hackers and we continue to take the matter seriously. We look into the reports generated for us, review reports by players and don’t rely on automatic banning. There are too many events that can cause false positives, so it’s something we look into on a case by case basis. We do not share the outcomes of any investigations and ask that you please continue to refrain from calling out specific targets in the forums. It’s done with good intentions to be sure but can also unintentionally backfire on us in our attempts to keep HAWKEN a game for fair players!

In the last month we've banned or suspended approximately 150 accounts and have banned IPs as needed too. We may not comment on every single report submitted but that doesn't mean we aren't investigating. It's an ongoing process and always will be, so if someone posts asking for a status, please feel free to point them to one of the posts where we've discussed the topic. It would be a big help!

TEST DRIVES
We are also aware of the strangeness that has taken place with Test Drives over the past couple of weeks. What's been happening is the rotation for the week is unknowingly being reverted to the previous week when certain platform changes are rolled out. It's not intended but rather a side effect of the migration work being done. Unfortunately there's no automatic way to be notified of this and we just have to wait until the migration process is complete but we'll keep our eyes open. Please don't hesitate to use the Test Drive thread for that particular week to let us know if something looks amiss.

NEXT
Outside of the above there isn't more information that can be shared at this time. We must take the coming weeks one step at a time while some of this necessary work is accomplished first. Anything else shared regarding ongoing development would be something I'd be discussing without a high level of confidence yet. I do wish I could open the floodgates and share some specific details, but I assure you it's not the right time yet, not even for a hint.

We will have another Development Update in a couple of weeks and will provide a status update on not only what was discussed above, but also the current state of actual HAWKEN development. I do really hope to have some great things to share because who doesn't like sharing positive news and updates_! Sharing little or neutral news is not why I wake up in the morning. The passion is always appreciated and means a lot, just please try to keep the conversations positive. We all care about HAWKEN but it's also a game and is out there for people to have fun with.

Me_ I'm going to go and have dinner with my loved one over a take out pizza and hope I don't smell smoke coming from the kitchen...

Click here to view the article

Jason Hughes
Producer || Adhesive Games || twitter: @digitalHUGHES

#2 Draigun

Draigun

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • Location̵̨ͤ̈́͆̀ͯ̌ͮ͛̋̏͊ͣ̃ͥ̿͢͏̷̩͉̹̪̬̫͍͇̜̼͖͈ ̪͚͙̬̘̼̥̱̣̤ͪ̎́͑̀͟V̶̢̨̛̙̳͙̘̲͚̫̜̯̮̱̯̯̂ͫ͊̆͌͒̾̓̽͑̾ͯͣ̀̚ ͌́́̅̍͛̈́ͩ̏̏ͤ̆̅̋̽ͮ̌̕҉̻̬̳͍͓̺̱̩̜́͢Ȩ̴̘͓̻̫̭̳͈͚̩̭̰͖̝̯̼̥͇̖ͬ̒̇̐̆́͘ ̶̴̡̔̒͒͆̈́͏̠̯̥͍̳͈̘̦̖̖͚͙̬̺̕G̛͖͇̺͔̹͌̿̌̓̉͒ͬ̇̿ͭ͒͂̍̒ͫ̈́̔ͫ͢ ͯ́͛̊͌͊ͮ̓͜͏̥͚̞̺͓̗͙̪̜̰͖͖͈̬̘Ȃ̷̢̭͓̮͈̠̑ͥͫ̍̑̌̈́̔̋͛̑

Posted June 28 2014 - 04:45 PM

First.
Posted Image

"The flesh is dying, and we're the next big thing.
The world we know is every bit of real — and a hell of a lot more pure — than this decaying mudball you're trying to save.
Ascension lies in new ideas, not dusted-off old ones."
  - Philosophy of the Virtual Adepts

#3 _incitatus

_incitatus

former senator

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • LocationOXR, AL

Posted June 28 2014 - 04:57 PM

Thanks Hughes.
Posted Image

[HWK]ZamboniChaos, on April 23 2014 - 11:13 AM, said:

You are the undisputed champion of camouflages.

#4 plons

plons

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted June 28 2014 - 04:57 PM

hmmm

#5 CounterlogicMan

CounterlogicMan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted June 28 2014 - 04:58 PM

Oil fire or not I will keep coming back to enjoy the cuisine that is Hawken.... with fritz..... and beer....and in my underwear. No matter how many times I am thrown out for walking in just wearing my underwear.

Stay positive folks! That means you too Hughes!

I'll be back in August, mark my words.

Edited by CounterlogicMan, June 28 2014 - 04:59 PM.

#6 TwentyFirstPilot

TwentyFirstPilot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 966 posts
  • LocationCanterstomp, Mechquestria

Posted June 28 2014 - 04:59 PM

Thank you for keeping us up to date. Hope you have a good evening! ;)

Aspiring Professional Yolodriver

View PostAmidatelion, on May 24 2014 - 01:36 AM, said:

Yeah, but dude, we are at 1750. As much as we would like to be Professional Yolodrivers like you [Meraple] and Lightangel112, we're not there yet. It's something to aspire to, sure, but there's a lot of ground to cover.

View Postcomic_sans, on October 31 2014 - 05:50 PM, said:

SS, you wanna fight me_  I'm druuuuuunk_____ You could maybe win_!!

#7 Silverfire

Silverfire

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,041 posts
  • LocationThe Depths of Coruscant

Posted June 28 2014 - 05:04 PM

Posted Image

All things considered, I know how busy you guys are and completely understand.  The language and tone of this development update seems...different to me though.  Can't put a finger on it, but it's something else.

I anxiously await the next dev update.

Posted Image

Check out my new short film Prebirth: The Eternal War! Check out my e-peen!

Need to find a mech guide_ Well, look here!
Intel Core i3 2120 @ 3.30 GHz |  Corsair XMS3 8GB RAM | eVGA GTX 550Ti 1GB OC | Corsair CX600 PSU

#8 karnak

karnak

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted June 28 2014 - 05:06 PM

Good luck with the game.

#9 N0stalgia

N0stalgia

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 570 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, California

Posted June 28 2014 - 05:15 PM

Thanks Hughes. This is the best game out there for UT fans. Keep on keepin' on. We await hungrily.
Call me Nos.

#10 EM1O

EM1O

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationNahfeck, V'jainya

Posted June 28 2014 - 05:16 PM

Don't let bastrids grind you down!
Ya still can't beat the price for this game.
And I'm getting to really like you kids.
Rock On!
:)

Lingua-indigenae  *=0=*  Clans & Guilds  *=||=*  Which Mech_  *=X=*  GPU Test  *=W=*  CPU Test  *=O=*  Dementia

Posted Image

#11 TheVulong

TheVulong

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,797 posts
  • LocationRussia

Posted June 28 2014 - 05:20 PM

Eh.. this update is no different from the previous one: same "we're working on it" stuff and no specific info whatsoever. So much for waiting..

Posted Image

#12 Sylhiri

Sylhiri

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,135 posts

Posted June 28 2014 - 05:21 PM

View PostSilverfire, on June 28 2014 - 05:04 PM, said:

The language and tone of this development update seems...different to me though.  Can't put a finger on it, but it's something else.

I imagined the whole thing voiced by Morgan Freeman while I was reading, dunno about you.

[13:14] <nonsiccus_work> uh oh

there's gravy in my keyboard

----------------------------------------------------------------------

[11:18] <+shosca> if you wanna play ar, go play zerker
[11:18] <Hyginos> and if you want to play zerker, go smc
[11:19] <someone> if you want to play sustain, please go and die in hell

#13 Badb0y

Badb0y

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted June 28 2014 - 05:25 PM

View PostSilverfire, on June 28 2014 - 05:04 PM, said:

Posted Image

The language and tone of this development update seems...different to me though.  Can't put a finger on it, but it's something else.

Indeed!
Something utterly miserable has just happened!

.:  I'm Bad :.

Posted Image

#14 SatelliteJack

SatelliteJack

Spaceman

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • LocationDropped on Illal

Posted June 28 2014 - 05:33 PM

Glad to see folks taking it pretty well so far. I was hoping for at least a sample of what's coming up, but if it's still in the works, I am ready to take my spot in line and wait. Anything the crew dishes out is welcome, so I'm also happy to hear that we can expect faster, more frequent service. Gotta get dem refills!

Now if you'll excuse me, I have some homemade mac & cheese to attend to. Keep on truckin', team! :D

-edit- I still want that hat :ph34r:

Edited by SatelliteJack, June 28 2014 - 05:44 PM.

Posted Image

To be chill, drink warm tea. You paradoxical madman. -TwentyFirstPilot

#15 Fstroke

Fstroke

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts
  • LocationCT

Posted June 28 2014 - 05:43 PM

View PostTheVulong, on June 28 2014 - 05:20 PM, said:

Eh.. this update is no different from the previous one: same "we're working on it" stuff and no specific info whatsoever. So much for waiting..

Thats exactly what everyone wanted. Even if they didnt have anything big they wanted devs to communicate. I dont get it.

#16 OmegaNull

OmegaNull

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Location2300-2400 Pilot Camp

Posted June 28 2014 - 05:44 PM

Thanks for the update. I figured as much.

As time has gone on I am becoming less critical of you guys because I am slowly being exposed to similar situations myself! One of them being a recent deployment that had happened at my parents job where it took 172 days to migrate from one storage environment to another. How much data was being migrated_ 373.5TB. Over a network that can support 1Tbps or more, that is not a lot of data. However, because there were 100k users accessing and modifying said data on a daily, hourly, minute by minute basis, it had to be slow. Oh, and this was mission critical. Meaning NO downtime. Not even 1 second because that could cost the company millions. And for every hour of downtime it is 100k penalty for my parents place of work. No pressure_

Keep up the good work!

Also, fellow pilots, look at it this way. They are doing all of this "backend" stuff to make this game better, more reliable and fun experience. This will also open the paths for them to bring other things to the table like private matches/servers, and various other things.

I for one and down for better stability and overall performance. AWS is garbage. Then I can ditch paying 10 bucks a month for a VPN :D

Edited by OmegaNull, June 28 2014 - 05:57 PM.

Scootin' and Shootin | Ballin' and Brawlin' | Ragin' and Raidin'

Posted Image

I am Omega Null. The abyss is my home and your last frontier. Welcome to my lair and become my Prey. As I track your scent through this nether,

my mouth begins to water. Your Demise will be quick and wretched.

Enjoy your Pain and Suffering as I tear Limb from Limb. Prepare to meet your Final End.

Member of Violent Resolution

#17 EliteShooter

EliteShooter

Mr Splash Man

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,888 posts
  • LocationTunisia

Posted June 28 2014 - 05:47 PM

And Sylhiri turned out to be right ...

Posted Image

#18 SatelliteJack

SatelliteJack

Spaceman

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • LocationDropped on Illal

Posted June 28 2014 - 05:51 PM

View PostOmegaNull, on June 28 2014 - 05:44 PM, said:

As time has gone on I am becoming less critical of you guys because I am slowly being exposed to similar situations myself! One of them being a recent deployment that had happened at my parents job where it took 172 days to migrate from one storage environment to another. How much data was being migrated_ 373.5TB. Over a network that can support 1Tbps or more, that is not a lot of data. However, because there were 100k users accessing and modifying said data on a daily, hourly, minute by minute basis, it had to be slow. Oh, and this was mission critical. Meaning NO downtime. Not even 1 second because that could cost the company millions. And for every hour of downtime it is 100k penalty for my parents place of work. No pressure_

Keep up the good work!

Gee whiz, where do your folks work_ Or would you telling me result in this_

Spoiler

Posted Image

To be chill, drink warm tea. You paradoxical madman. -TwentyFirstPilot

#19 EliteShooter

EliteShooter

Mr Splash Man

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,888 posts
  • LocationTunisia

Posted June 28 2014 - 05:59 PM

View PostSatelliteJack, on June 28 2014 - 05:51 PM, said:

Keep up the good work!

Spoiler

He's the NSA.

Posted Image

#20 N0stalgia

N0stalgia

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 570 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, California

Posted June 28 2014 - 06:04 PM

View PostSatelliteJack, on June 28 2014 - 05:51 PM, said:

Keep up the good work!

Spoiler

Everybody knows they work out of Hugh Jackman's basement. It is simultaneously why they are so badass and so untouchable.

Edited by N0stalgia, June 28 2014 - 06:05 PM.

Call me Nos.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users