HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Development Update: 06/28/2014

• Please log in to reply
215 replies to this topic

#21 Odinous

Odinous

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts
  • LocationAthens,Greece

Posted June 28 2014 - 06:07 PM

thanks for the update Hughes,keep up the good work I will say,some of us and I believe we are not that small numbered love this game and know how hard it is.The negative community of Hawken should understand that for us its game,for the Devs its a way of living!

#22 N0stalgia

N0stalgia

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 570 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, California

Posted June 28 2014 - 06:14 PM

Hughes, when or where can I buy more Hawken swag_ I got a bumper sticker and a t-shirt. I got a graphic novel. Where's my Hawken hat_ Where's my Hawken jacket_ Where's my Hawken TV series_ My Hawken movie_ I want MOAR Hawken in my life.

People ask me at work, "What is Hawken anyway_"

I just say, "Two worlds collide. Rival nations. It's a primitive clash. Venting years of frustration! Bravely we hope against all hope. There is so much at stake. Seems our freedom's up against the ropes! Does the crowd understand_ Is it east versus west_ Or man against man_ Can any nation stand alone!!__!_!__!"
Call me Nos.

#23 SamEureka

SamEureka

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Locationall your base are belong to us

Posted June 28 2014 - 06:14 PM

Thanks for the update, Mr. Hughes. I can't help but note your somber tone... I can identify with the feeling. The dev we do at work isn't as exciting as the stuff you guys are doing here, but it's important all the same. When things aren't going right in the DB's it is painful and causes a lot of self-doubt in the team. I'm encouraged by your positive attitude and I do not fear. This Hawken thing you've created is amazing... it will endure. Even the haters are still playing it... as much as they complain... they are still playing. Enjoy your pizza, I think I'll go play some Hawken!

//Sam
Posted Image

#24 N0stalgia

N0stalgia

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted June 28 2014 - 06:19 PM

"In the warrior's code, there's no surrender. Though his body says stop, his spirit cries NEVER! Deep in our soul, a quiet ember. Knows it's you against you. It's the paradox that drives us on! It's a battle of wills in the heat of attack! It's the passion that kills. The victory is yours ALONE!!!!"
Call me Nos.

#25 N0stalgia

N0stalgia

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted June 28 2014 - 06:38 PM

To the Hawken Dev team ~

"Here we are! Born to be kings, we're the Princes of the universe! Here we belong, fighting to survive in a world with the darkest power!"

"And here we are, we're the Princes of the universe! Here we belong, fighting for survival! We've got to be the ruler's of your world!"

"I am immortal! I have inside me blood of kings! I have no rival! No man can be my equal! Take me to the future of your world!"

~Nos
Call me Nos.

#26 OmegaNull

OmegaNull

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Location2300-2400 Pilot Camp

Posted June 28 2014 - 06:40 PM

NetApp

Scootin' and Shootin | Ballin' and Brawlin' | Ragin' and Raidin'

Posted Image

I am Omega Null. The abyss is my home and your last frontier. Welcome to my lair and become my Prey. As I track your scent through this nether,

my mouth begins to water. Your Demise will be quick and wretched.

Enjoy your Pain and Suffering as I tear Limb from Limb. Prepare to meet your Final End.

Member of Violent Resolution

#27 Superkamikazee

Superkamikazee

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted June 28 2014 - 06:45 PM

I guess this update is better than no update.

#28 EM1O

EM1O

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationNahfeck, V'jainya

Posted June 28 2014 - 06:53 PM

Looked up Technology Debt in WikiP.
ugh. that has Got to Suck.
Mayhap you should just quit adding on to the pile for a while, and iron out the kinks here.
No more new fuzzy bunny for awhile, ensure the Troll(s) starve, and turn into code hermits.
We'll still be here drooling and hungry.
Rock On!

Lingua-indigenae  *=0=*  Clans & Guilds  *=||=*  Which Mech_  *=X=*  GPU Test  *=W=*  CPU Test  *=O=*  Dementia

Posted Image

#29 OmegaNull

OmegaNull

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

Posted June 28 2014 - 07:06 PM

Yeah. That is why I understand the amount of work they need to do.

Again, referencing my parents place of work. They have a customer who needs to upgrade their systems but they cannot till they can get 1 hour of downtime. Problem is, it has been 3 years... And they are still waiting.

Posted Image

I am Omega Null. The abyss is my home and your last frontier. Welcome to my lair and become my Prey. As I track your scent through this nether,

Enjoy your Pain and Suffering as I tear Limb from Limb. Prepare to meet your Final End.

#30 TwentyFirstPilot

TwentyFirstPilot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 963 posts
  • LocationCanterstomp, Mechquestria

Posted June 28 2014 - 07:08 PM

View PostN0stalgia, on June 28 2014 - 06:14 PM, said:

Hughes, when or where can I buy more Hawken swag_ I got a bumper sticker and a t-shirt. I got a graphic novel. Where's my Hawken hat_ Where's my Hawken jacket_ Where's my Hawken TV series_ My Hawken movie_ I want MOAR Hawken in my life.

People ask me at work, "What is Hawken anyway_"

I just say, "Two worlds collide. Rival nations. It's a primitive clash. Venting years of frustration! Bravely we hope against all hope. There is so much at stake. Seems our freedom's up against the ropes! Does the crowd understand_ Is it east versus west_ Or man against man_ Can any nation stand alone!!__!_!__!"

Lemme fix that for you.

Two nations collide
They vent years of no hope
We can't stand alone!

Aspiring Professional Yolodriver

View PostAmidatelion, on May 24 2014 - 01:36 AM, said:

Yeah, but dude, we are at 1750. As much as we would like to be Professional Yolodrivers like you [Meraple] and Lightangel112, we're not there yet. It's something to aspire to, sure, but there's a lot of ground to cover.

View PostEliteShooter, on September 20 2014 - 08:51 PM, said:

I eat cats too. Does that interest you_

#31 dontmindme

dontmindme

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted June 28 2014 - 07:29 PM

View PostOmegaNull, on June 28 2014 - 06:40 PM, said:

NetApp

Ah, them... I think I've used some of their storage boxes, interesting.  And, migrations, always seem to suck... though, for your parent's sake, you might want to keep things as vague as possible, no company (like the one working with NetApp) likes it when you essentially talk smack about their infrastructure and inability to design redundancy into it.  Not that they'd be checking these boards, but... that's just the CYA / SOP that I've learned over the years talking...

As for the update, ehhhhh... it's something, and definitely better than not saying anything, but I'm hoping there is something new just over the horizon.  The infrastructure issues need to be fixed yesterday, and thrown into maintenance mode rather than priority-one needs to be fixed ASAP mode so that you all get back to focusing on new content and features.... like how about throwing in airplay support so I can wirelessly beam in-game sound to my stereo rather than my puny speakers at the press of a button/setting rather than routing optical cables over to my receiver... yeah, I know no one in their right mind would put this into a game... :rolleyes:  That, and new mechs, maps, unique weapons, and so on..

#32 Odra

Odra

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted June 28 2014 - 07:29 PM

View PostSuperkamikazee, on June 28 2014 - 06:45 PM, said:

I guess this update is better than no update.

Came back because I heard that something was happening today, since I can't say anything nice I won't say anything other than agreeing with your post.

"Rock is overpowered; Paper is fine" - Scissors
Keep this in mind whenever people talk about balance and nerfs.
Posted Image

#33 Wi2P

Wi2P

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts
  • Location.. Recalculating ..

Posted June 28 2014 - 07:34 PM

Much appreciation to you, Mr. Hughes, and best wishes for your efforts and the future to come. Continue strong. ^^

#34 Krellus

Krellus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted June 28 2014 - 07:34 PM

appreciate the post but I reserve my "like" for next update, I hope!

#35 WarlordZ

WarlordZ

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted June 28 2014 - 07:37 PM

It isn't exactly the most info-dense post we've seen, but it's good to hear something besides the crickets chirping.

As for technical debt, I suspected as much.  You can kinda feel it somehow, like the newer systems have just been grafted onto something old and clunky.  I wish you the best of luck with that.  I shall now return to my silent lurking and stalking of your "recent posts" page.

Edited by WarlordZ, June 28 2014 - 07:39 PM.

#36 OmegaNull

OmegaNull

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

Posted June 28 2014 - 07:37 PM

View Postdontmindme, on June 28 2014 - 07:29 PM, said:

View PostOmegaNull, on June 28 2014 - 06:40 PM, said:

NetApp

Ah, them... I think I've used some of their storage boxes, interesting.  And, migrations, always seem to suck... though, for your parent's sake, you might want to keep things as vague as possible, no company (like the one working with NetApp) likes it when you essentially talk smack about their infrastructure and inability to design redundancy into it.  Not that they'd be checking these boards, but... that's just the CYA / SOP that I've learned over the years talking...

As for the update, ehhhhh... it's something, and definitely better than not saying anything, but I'm hoping there is something new just over the horizon.  The infrastructure issues need to be fixed yesterday, and thrown into maintenance mode rather than priority-one needs to be fixed ASAP mode so that you all get back to focusing on new content and features.... like how about throwing in airplay support so I can wirelessly beam in-game sound to my stereo rather than my puny speakers at the press of a button/setting rather than routing optical cables over to my receiver... yeah, I know no one in their right mind would put this into a game... :rolleyes:  That, and new mechs, maps, unique weapons, and so on..

Dude, it has nothing to do with infrastructure issues. When you are moving systems from storage environment to another, sometimes you don't have a choice in the matter. And these systems are mission critical things. You have failovers to take care of maintenance whenever you need, do upgrades, etc. However, if all your systems are the same and they need to move. You gotta upgrade your backup/replace systesm as well. There is simply no way around it.

Other times, just to do upgrades to an existing platform requires months and months, sometimes years of planning. Then, you fail things over over to your backup systems (and pray things work when you do but that is why you do testing, etc), do what needs to be done, then fail things back. Then you do the upgrades you need on the second system. All of this happens without anyone experiencing a change in service.

I am not talking smack at all either. These are just various situations that happen and it is no ones fault. Just things change and it is time to move onto newer, better things.

Edited by OmegaNull, June 28 2014 - 07:40 PM.

Posted Image

#37 Infyrno

Infyrno

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 524 posts
  • Locationsomewhere over the rainbow

Posted June 28 2014 - 07:43 PM

Thank you hughes,  sadly this also tells me there won't be a game update for quite some time...

#38 ShadowWarg

ShadowWarg

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,384 posts
  • LocationIn the shadows behind you

Posted June 28 2014 - 07:49 PM

I also want pizza.

I know I really shouldn't be adding any fuel to the "OMG what is going on with Hawken" fire, and I apologize for asking this question.

It seems like you guys have a lot on your plates, and all of us here praise ADH's hard work, but can you tell us anything about future content or balancing_ Or at the least what you would yourself like to see come to Hawken rather than what is being worked on_ (I'm sure the devs have a wish list to just like the players)

Edited by ShadowWarg, June 28 2014 - 07:51 PM.

#39 ThirdEyE

ThirdEyE

Moderator 007

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 607 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted June 28 2014 - 07:59 PM

To those of you unhappy with the development update, what specifically would you want to hear more about_

Thanks to Hughes for taking the time to communicate what is and has been going on recently, and thanks to all the Hawken team for their hard work and late nights at the office.  I appreciate the effort to communicate more in the near future, as that will hopefully restore many community members' trust in you and prevent another wave of "Hawken is dying" threads.
Posted Image

Offering coaching on all mechs, maps, and gametypes, PM if interested.

Violent Resolution - http://vr-gaming.org/

Hawken IRC - #hawkenscrim

#40 dontmindme

dontmindme

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted June 28 2014 - 08:04 PM

View PostOmegaNull, on June 28 2014 - 07:37 PM, said:

Spoiler

Dude, it has nothing to do with infrastructure issues. When you are moving systems from storage environment to another, sometimes you don't have a choice in the matter. And these systems are mission critical things. You have failovers to take care of maintenance whenever you need, do upgrades, etc. However, if all your systems are the same and they need to move. You gotta upgrade your backup/replace systesm as well. There is simply no way around it.

Other times, just to do upgrades to an existing platform requires months and months, sometimes years of planning. Then, you fail things over over to your backup systems (and pray things work when you do but that is why you do testing, etc), do what needs to be done, then fail things back. Then you do the upgrades you need on the second system. All of this happens without anyone experiencing a change in service.

I am not talking smack at all either. These are just various situations that happen and it is no ones fault. Just things change and it is time to move onto newer, better things.

... storage is infrastructure...

I guess I've yet to deal with mission critical data being hosted on open systems storage rather than something more along the lines of a DS box (think five nines), but even then, be it NetApp, EMC2, Vseries, etc. I just don't recall it being THAT much trouble standing a new storage subsystem up, syncing it, and failing over... (and yes, gone from one platform to another) oh well, just trying to give you helpful advice.. take it or leave it, I don't care and I am stopping with the off topic replies in this thread... in hind sight I should've just PM'ed you.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users