HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

OS Freezing spontaneously - forces hard reboot

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Strider11o7

Strider11o7

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted July 21 2014 - 04:28 PM

I experience spontaneous freezing with Hawken that I can't even force close, I have to hard reboot my PC. It used to happen 15-20% of the time when a match ended, but I have since upgraded my Nvidia driver to the latest version (337.88) and now it doesn't happen at the end of some matches, but only sometimes when I check the scoreboard in the middle of the match with Tab. I've noticed it happens more often when I'm healing as I like to check the score while doing so, not sure if that's relevant. Unfortunately this seems to be an isolated incident as I can't find anyone else having similar problems. Specs below - any help would be appreciated.

CPU: AMD FX 1820
RAM: 8GB
GPU: GeForce GTX 560 Ti

#2 SS396

SS396

Kernel Panic

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,258 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted July 21 2014 - 07:12 PM

Whats your video settings_  PhysX on__

Have you modified any settings inside the nvidia control panel_

Do you monitor your GPU temps_ if so how hot is it getting_

Are you overclocking the GPU or CPU_
# while true; do echo "Post"; done

#3 OmegaNull

OmegaNull

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Location2300-2400 Pilot Camp

Posted July 21 2014 - 08:08 PM

Run OCCT GPU test with shader complexity on high and error count enabled. let run for 3 minutes. If you get even a single error, your card requires replacement.

Also, chekc your CPU and GPU temps. That can cause issues as well.

Scootin' and Shootin | Ballin' and Brawlin' | Ragin' and Raidin'

Posted Image

I am Omega Null. The abyss is my home and your last frontier. Welcome to my lair and become my Prey. As I track your scent through this nether,

my mouth begins to water. Your Demise will be quick and wretched.

Enjoy your Pain and Suffering as I tear Limb from Limb. Prepare to meet your Final End.

Member of Violent Resolution

#4 Strider11o7

Strider11o7

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted July 21 2014 - 08:25 PM

View PostSS396, on July 21 2014 - 07:12 PM, said:

Whats your video settings_  PhysX on__

Have you modified any settings inside the nvidia control panel_

Do you monitor your GPU temps_ if so how hot is it getting_

Are you overclocking the GPU or CPU_

Default High settings w/ PhysX off.

No Nvidia changes, no overclocking, and GPU temps always stay nominal. If it were something like failing hardware I would think that it would happen completely randomly, not tied to certain events (such as the match ending or checking the scoreboard).

View PostOmegaNull, on July 21 2014 - 08:08 PM, said:

Run OCCT GPU test with shader complexity on high and error count enabled. let run for 3 minutes. If you get even a single error, your card requires replacement.

Also, chekc your CPU and GPU temps. That can cause issues as well.

Ran test as suggested and returned no errors.

Edited by Strider11o7, July 21 2014 - 08:29 PM.

#5 ReEvolve

ReEvolve

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted July 21 2014 - 09:42 PM

Did you already try using programs like "WhoCrashed" to narrow down the cause of the freezes_

Did you already check if there is a Hawken-related error record in Window's event viewer_ If so please post the excact wording of the error title and error description in this thread.

#6 Strider11o7

Strider11o7

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted July 22 2014 - 03:08 AM

View PostReEvolve, on July 21 2014 - 09:42 PM, said:

Did you already try using programs like "WhoCrashed" to narrow down the cause of the freezes_

Did you already check if there is a Hawken-related error record in Window's event viewer_ If so please post the excact wording of the error title and error description in this thread.

I'll try this program - but I think it's a safe bet that HAWKEN and/or my driver are causing this as I said, it occurs when I do specific things in HAWKEN.

As for Event Viewer, there are no directly-HAWKEN related logs, however I do think I see a trail of what might be causing it. No relevant system logs other than indicating that I manually powered it off. However, in the seconds leading up to that, my Application log was bombarded with this with approx. 100 logs per second all stating this:

The description for Event ID 3 from source NvStreamSvc cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.
If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.
The following information was included with the event:
NvStreamSvc
Stream service as user abnormally ended. Re-launching... [0]

It looks like whatever is causing this is locking up all my system's resources and generating these thousands of events so I can't event ctrl+alt+del for a force close.

#7 OmegaNull

OmegaNull

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Location2300-2400 Pilot Camp

Posted July 22 2014 - 04:10 AM

Are you steaming_

Scootin' and Shootin | Ballin' and Brawlin' | Ragin' and Raidin'

Posted Image

I am Omega Null. The abyss is my home and your last frontier. Welcome to my lair and become my Prey. As I track your scent through this nether,

my mouth begins to water. Your Demise will be quick and wretched.

Enjoy your Pain and Suffering as I tear Limb from Limb. Prepare to meet your Final End.

Member of Violent Resolution

#8 Strider11o7

Strider11o7

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted July 22 2014 - 05:10 PM

No - however I just tried disabling the service and it still froze on me. No culprits in the event log this tiime.

#9 Strider11o7

Strider11o7

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted July 23 2014 - 05:47 PM

Anybody else have any ideas_ It's happening more sporadically and frequently now. Just made a comeback in a long Siege match and froze while respawning - all that lost xp... Getting frustrating to the point of being unplayable and which sucks because this is currently my favorite game x.x

#10 ReEvolve

ReEvolve

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted July 23 2014 - 10:20 PM

View PostStrider11o7, on July 23 2014 - 05:47 PM, said:

Anybody else have any ideas_

So, did you try out "WhoCrashed"_ You didn't mention it again after you wrote that you wanted to try it out.

#11 Strider11o7

Strider11o7

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted July 31 2014 - 02:35 PM

I took the advice of a PM from Stiff_Craven and blew out the dust - hasn't frozen since. I got too focused on thinking it was software related and missed the seemingly extraneous but very possible alternatives - go figure! Thanks to everyone who helped.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users