HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Switch to a new Mech_

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 slushy_g

slushy_g

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted August 06 2014 - 07:20 AM

I am level 22 in the game and I use the Vanguard right now. I am very close to getting it up to the rank where I can buy the Point D Vulcan for it. The Vangaurd is only my 3rd Mech, the second being assault. I was playing the other day, and I kept getting destroyed by this guy with a Predator. I looked at it and thought it was pretty cool. I would like to learn a third type of fighting more with stealth. Should I buy the Predator and use that or upgrade the Vanguard with the Point D Vulcan_

Edited by slushy_g, August 06 2014 - 07:39 AM.

[font=courier new,courier,monospace]Dude Hawken is Cool[/font]

#2 Leonhardt

Leonhardt

Rawr

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted August 06 2014 - 08:05 AM

Here is a guide for the Vanguard.

The point D Vulcan is not worth it on the Vanguard, but I would also not recommend picking up the Predator unless you really really want it.

Posted Image

#3 slushy_g

slushy_g

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted August 06 2014 - 08:10 AM

So what is the best weapon for the Vanguard_ And I do want to learn a more stealthy battle style because right now i just go in with turret mode and try to kill everybody at the same time.

#4 ticklemyiguana

ticklemyiguana

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,121 posts

Posted August 06 2014 - 09:02 AM

SMC is considered the most versatile. Miniflak if you are good with positioning. Point D is kind of a cross between the two, but it's very bad for burst damage. So depending on your play style, the point D can be viable, it just isn't as much as you climb the ranks.

The predator is one of my favorite mechs. However, it did not become one of my favorite until I had almost 200 hours in game. As many here will and have complained, it is difficult to learn. It is one of the most rewarding, and fun mechs, but it is very unlikely you will have much success with it as your fourth mech. You haven't tried any A classes yet, so why not go for the reaper (engage mid range, stay mid range-also it's cheap) the berserker (an all-rounder, like the CRT or Assault) or the scout (close range burst, has the miniflak as well, and is very quick to get out of tough situations)_

If you find yourself really enjoying C, try the Brawler. It starts with the flak, so if you were using the miniflak at any point, it won't be a bad transition, and it's pretty cheap. The grenadier also starts with the GL, so you might find yourself liking that, though the primary weapon you start with takes a little getting used to.

Or the incinerator. If you're looking for a mech that the community at large considers overpowered but fun, try it. It has a similar setup to the SMC vanguard in that it has a hitscan primary and an arcing, non hitscan, splash damage secondary. No remote detonation though, but.. if you try it.. you won't mind that.

If you must go B class, the Sharpshooter is probably a pretty easy mech to transition to. Long to mid range fire, dual hitscan weapons (hitscan meaning that damage happens right about the time you click) and a nice ability to help you out. The vanguard is a more sustained fire mech that is best at close range for the most part, so if you really want a B class, the raider might also be a good choice. It's very bursty though, so you will definitely have to alter your playstyle a bit- but it's rewarding, close range, and a decent transition to the predator.
Alternatively, you could level up the assault all the way and go for the G2. It's the only mech I don't have, but from what I've seen it's a fun mech with similar mechanics to your assault and is entirely a sustained fire mech.

Edited by ticklemyiguana, August 06 2014 - 09:15 AM.

Posted Image

#5 slushy_g

slushy_g

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted August 06 2014 - 09:09 AM

Well I haven't actually bought any of the A classes but when I play I have an option to try out some of the Mechs and I'm not really sure I like the low health aspect of the A classes. I have 22 hours in the game but I am willing to try something hard because I know if you get good at something hard you will be really powerful in the game.

Before I bought the Vanguard, I was going to buy the incinerator, and I was lucky enough that it was one of the ones that I could try out at the time. I played with it for maybe 3 hours and then I decided I didn't really like the secondary fire thing. So you think I should try the sharpshooter_ Oh and I also bought the brawler but never used it because I hated the speed of the primary.

I will have some time to decide because I only have 9000 something HC right now. And maybe in that time the Mechs I can try out will switch so I can try out some new ones.

Edited by slushy_g, August 06 2014 - 09:24 AM.

#6 Leonhardt

Leonhardt

Rawr

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted August 06 2014 - 09:28 AM

View Postslushy_g, on August 06 2014 - 08:10 AM, said:

So what is the best weapon for the Vanguard_ And I do want to learn a more stealthy battle style because right now i just go in with turret mode and try to kill everybody at the same time.

You might want to look at the guide and watch the videos to see how to play Vanguard. Best weapon is SMC since it is so versatile.

https://community.pl...eonhardt +guide

Posted Image

#7 ticklemyiguana

ticklemyiguana

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,121 posts

Posted August 06 2014 - 09:36 AM

STOP PROMOTING YOUR MANGUARD GUIDE, LEON.
On the other hand, come out to War Wednesdays.

Aside from that, if you stick with the game, there are no wrong choices. You'll learn to love pretty much every mech. The SS is definitely not a difficult transition though.

When something has a slow firing rate (like the brawler) it generally means that weapon is quite powerful. The flak, at close range does a lot of damage per shot. If you're accurate with it, even without utilizing cover, the brawler will dominate any mech 1v1, with the occasional exception of a turreted vanguard with miniflak. (Though the turret mode will leave him open from behind for anyone else.)
Posted Image

#8 slushy_g

slushy_g

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted August 06 2014 - 09:38 AM

How did you guys get that picture under your post or the lemon thing_

Ok so what I am hearing is that the Predator is a really good Mech but it is extremely hard to use so I should wait until I get better to buy it. Is that what I should do_

And what is war Wednesdays_

Edited by slushy_g, August 06 2014 - 09:47 AM.

#9 comic_sans

comic_sans

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,116 posts
  • LocationI dunno!

Posted August 06 2014 - 09:40 AM

Point D on the vanguard is only good if you're a tree.  In other words, when turret mode is actually the right decision, which it rarely is.  Otherwise, you can get the same loadout on a gren which has more HP and an ability that buffs your damage output which kinda blows the mobility advantage the VG has out of the water just because you're both using the same size hitbox.

And that stuff's in your user control panel at the top of the page.

Edited by comic_sans, August 06 2014 - 09:41 AM.

#10 Leonhardt

Leonhardt

Rawr

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted August 06 2014 - 09:44 AM

View Postticklemyiguana, on August 06 2014 - 09:36 AM, said:

I made the guide so I don't have to answer a million questions I can just post it. Works great! :D

Come out to War Wednesdays huh_

Posted Image

#11 ticklemyiguana

ticklemyiguana

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,121 posts

Posted August 06 2014 - 09:47 AM

View PostLeonhardt, on August 06 2014 - 09:44 AM, said:

View Postticklemyiguana, on August 06 2014 - 09:36 AM, said:

I made the guide so I don't have to answer a million questions I can just post it. Works great! :D

Come out to War Wednesdays huh_

I'm at work and can't watch that at the moment, sorry. But yes. You should. I've yet to see you there. It's tonight.
Posted Image

#12 slushy_g

slushy_g

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted August 06 2014 - 09:49 AM

What is War Wednesdays___

#13 BurnsHot

BurnsHot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 533 posts
  • LocationEmpire of the Sun

Posted August 06 2014 - 09:49 AM

I've been around more than a year and as soon as could afford a new mech or leveled a mech to 30, I bought a new much.  Now I own them all and they are all level 30.  When the Pred was introduced, I bought it and played it for a couple of games.  it was so different from everything I had before it that I hated it.  I couldn't kill anything with it and just left it in the garage to collect dust.

I eventually leveled the Pred to 30 and have since took the time to read up on the How to guides and watched some videos.  

I can now say that I really like the Pred and can hold my own in a 1v1 situation.

I say all that to say that you probably wont like playing the Pred at first.  I wouldn't recommend it as your 3rd or 4th mech purchase.  There are better options and with a shorter learning curve which means you will probably have more fun playing anything other than a Pred.

I love the speed of an A class.  I recommend the Berserker with SMC and it's special ability is super Strong right now. It's basically a smaller faster version of the Assault so you should feel right at home using it.

It also has a powerful special ability that boost your damage output.  Most players recommend disengaging and running for cover when a Berserker pops its special.  That's how fearsome it is.

#14 ticklemyiguana

ticklemyiguana

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,121 posts

Posted August 06 2014 - 09:55 AM

View Postslushy_g, on August 06 2014 - 09:49 AM, said:

What is War Wednesdays___
https://community.pl...nesdays-by-taw/
Posted Image

#15 slushy_g

slushy_g

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted August 06 2014 - 10:01 AM

OK so I am going to choose between these mechs:
-Berserker
-Sharpshooter
-Predator
-Raider
-Scout
I would prefer one that has a moderate ammount of health, speed, and DPS. I am up for a challenge like I said before. I know they all have their own strengths and weaknesses, but I want to know which one you guys think I should get. Which one_

Edited by slushy_g, August 06 2014 - 10:03 AM.

#16 TwentyFirstPilot

TwentyFirstPilot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 969 posts
  • LocationCanterstomp, Mechquestria

Posted August 06 2014 - 10:11 AM

Go for the Predator, it's amazing. However, you'll need to spend quite a bit of time learning how to play it, as it's nothing like the Assault.

View PostBurnsHot, on August 06 2014 - 09:49 AM, said:

I've been around more than a year and as soon as could afford a new mech or leveled a mech to 30, I bought a new much.  Now I own them all and they are all level 30.  When the Pred was introduced, I bought it and played it for a couple of games.  it was so different from everything I had before it that I hated it.  I couldn't kill anything with it and just left it in the garage to collect dust.

Some people are advising you to wait until you're better at the game before you buy a Pred. I'd say the opposite. If you buy your Pred now, you'll end up having less bad habits that you'll need to break (as evidenced by the above quote).

Edited by TwentyFirstPilot, August 06 2014 - 10:24 AM.

Aspiring Professional Yolodriver

View PostAmidatelion, on May 24 2014 - 01:36 AM, said:

Yeah, but dude, we are at 1750. As much as we would like to be Professional Yolodrivers like you [Meraple] and Lightangel112, we're not there yet. It's something to aspire to, sure, but there's a lot of ground to cover.

View Postcomic_sans, on October 31 2014 - 05:50 PM, said:

SS, you wanna fight me_  I'm druuuuuunk_____ You could maybe win_!!

#17 BurnsHot

BurnsHot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 533 posts
  • LocationEmpire of the Sun

Posted August 06 2014 - 10:15 AM

View Postslushy_g, on August 06 2014 - 10:01 AM, said:

-Berserker
-Sharpshooter
-Predator
-Raider
-Scout
I would prefer one that has a moderate ammount of health, speed, and DPS. I am up for a challenge like I said before. Which one should I get_

IMO:
Berserker is a good choice.

Sharpshooter = boring.  More often than not, as soon as you get set up in a good snipe position, the action has moved out of your line of sight leaving you nothing to shot at and forcing you to move to a new camp location or you camp so long that an a class sneaks up behind you and takes you out very easy.

Predator: too hard to use. Best in a 1v1 situation.  Pred can be over powered and over run easily.

Raider is a good choice. Probably fits what you are looking for better than the Berserker. The Raider has a charge up primary weapon so you can get more damage by charging it up.  The secondary has two modes  so it has a lot to offer.  The special on this mech allows you to run down any mech that got scared and decided to run away from you.  My favorite saying in the game while playing a Raider is, "Never run from a Raider!"

Scout: its strong when you have experience playing it but when you first get it you will feel like it blows up in like two hits.  Its more for corner poking and peak a boo play.

tl;dr:  I recommend the Raider!

#18 EliteShooter

EliteShooter

Mr Splash Man

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,888 posts
  • LocationTunisia

Posted August 06 2014 - 11:09 AM

Berzeker = Aggressive aggressiveness (lol_)
Sharpshooter = Sacrificing the excitement for the team (not much people do it lately). Needs to be played almost totally for team sakes, what the teammates can't do efficiently without your help; offensively or defensively.
Predator = IDK, very strong mech, not fun to play when you have multiple unfair advantages. (very personal opinion).
Raider = The best way to get all the hate out. With you keeping your eyes open, no low mech should survive.
Scout = Don't play it in your early days. The great speed might not help you refine your shooting skills, and improve your choice-making, as you'll find yourself easily relying on the speed of the mech to do unsound things, why will not allow you to get the best out of the mech.

Now, here's what I think, moving from a C to an A right away will throw you off a bit, seriously. I was lucky that I did this without any understanding, as I moved from Grenadier to Sharpshooter and then started playing A's, and now maining a pretty infiltrator.

You should either choose SS, raider, or pred. I don't recommend SS, cuz you don't like it's play-style apparently. Go with raider first, then pred, then SS. And after that you should start playing A class mechs.

Roses to everyone ...
EliteShooter ...

Edited by EliteShooter, August 06 2014 - 11:09 AM.

Posted Image

#19 slushy_g

slushy_g

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted August 06 2014 - 11:28 AM

Alright thanks everyone. I think I'm going to go with the Raider, and then the Predator, and then when I get good enough i'll get the Berserker. Thanks!!

#20 ticklemyiguana

ticklemyiguana

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,121 posts

Posted August 06 2014 - 12:09 PM

View PostBurnsHot, on August 06 2014 - 10:15 AM, said:

View Postslushy_g, on August 06 2014 - 10:01 AM, said:

-Berserker
-Sharpshooter
-Predator
-Raider
-Scout
I would prefer one that has a moderate ammount of health, speed, and DPS. I am up for a challenge like I said before. Which one should I get_

IMO:
Berserker is a good choice.

Sharpshooter = boring.  More often than not, as soon as you get set up in a good snipe position, the action has moved out of your line of sight leaving you nothing to shot at and forcing you to move to a new camp location or you camp so long that an a class sneaks up behind you and takes you out very easy.

Predator: too hard to use. Best in a 1v1 situation.  Pred can be over powered and over run easily.

Raider is a good choice. Probably fits what you are looking for better than the Berserker. The Raider has a charge up primary weapon so you can get more damage by charging it up.  The secondary has two modes  so it has a lot to offer.  The special on this mech allows you to run down any mech that got scared and decided to run away from you.  My favorite saying in the game while playing a Raider is, "Never run from a Raider!"

Scout: its strong when you have experience playing it but when you first get it you will feel like it blows up in like two hits.  Its more for corner poking and peak a boo play.

tl;dr:  I recommend the Raider!
Slushy's made a decision, but I'm just posting this for info.

SS != boring! If you're playing it by getting yourself set up in a spot to shoot the enemy team, you're playing it a little wrong. It's meant to sit slightly behind the team and provide constant, accurate, high damage. When you get decent with it, and get the Slug (personal favorite) and a couple repair orbs it is really a great mech for any situation at all. The SS should always be moving for the best shot. No camping.

Predator: When using, as with any mech, 1v1 (or having your team backing you up) is best. But it is not that easy to overrun-although this depends on the relative playstyles of those engaged. It is in my opinion, tied with the SS as being the most powerful B class, and one of the most powerful classes in the game. That being said, there are many debates on its use that are open to many, but to those that play it well are entirely closed. It is good, but it is difficult to learn, and even once you think you've learned it, there is almost always more.

Twentyfirst isn't wrong either. If you already think this is a great game, feel free to use the pred. It'll be hard, but if you aren't risking rage quitting half the games you play because you're still learning, then go for it. But if you're feeling a little confused about the game and in need of a pick me up, try something else first.

Also, if you ever need any help with a mech, feel free to send me a PM or a request in game.
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users