HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

TPG Feedback: Mech and Item Restrictions

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Nept

Nept

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

Posted August 09 2014 - 03:32 PM

As much as possible, please keep discussions centered around mech and item restrictions. Of course, there will likely be some overlap with the gametype suggestions thread. Please keep discussions civil. If you did not participate in TPG's first season and/or have no interest in participating in its second, please be especially careful about any contributions. In other words, don't post only to argue.

It is important to note that we are not treating these feedback threads as popular votes. We will be reading all suggestions/discussions and taking them into account when we make our decisions for the second season. We will not, however, implement a suggestion only because it was popular amongst the community.

If you have any suggestions unrelated to our current topics, please post them here, wait for the relevant topic, or send me a pm.

Thanks,

Nept
Head Admin - TPG Hawken

*Edit* Season 1's restrictions were as follows:

TPG Hawken][font=Arial, on sans-serif, said:

Radar Scanner is not permitted in TPG matches.
[/font][font=Arial, sans-serif]
All internals are permitted in TPG matches.
[/font]

No more than Three of each mech class (A, B, or C) are permitted in TPG Matches

No more than One of each type of Mech is permitted in TPG Matches. Ex: No two Scouts, no two Raiders, etc...

Due to their similar Class ability, available weapons, and stats, the Assault and CR-T recruit are not an exception to the class restrictions ruleset. As such, only one Assault or CR-T per team will be allowed on the field at any given time.

Only one Mech with the Sniper secondary Sabot weapon per team is permitted in TPG matches. Ex: If you have a Sharpshooter in play, you may not have a Reaper in play on the same team.

Only one Mech with the Hellfire Missiles secondary weapon per team is permitted in TPG matches. Ex: If you have a Rocketeer in play, you may not have a Bruiser in play on the same team.

Edited by Nept, August 09 2014 - 03:38 PM.

https://robertsspace...orgs/OMNISCIENT

Complaining about Hawken's population_  Read this: https://community.pl...en/#entry524454

Posted Image   

#2 DerMax

DerMax

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,270 posts
  • LocationRussia

Posted August 09 2014 - 03:42 PM

I did not participate in TPG, but, after watching the finals, I would like to see the Incinerator banned from the league.

#3 Sylhiri

Sylhiri

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,135 posts

Posted August 09 2014 - 03:46 PM

You changed from 2 of each to 3 of each at some point right_

[13:14] <nonsiccus_work> uh oh

there's gravy in my keyboard

----------------------------------------------------------------------

[11:18] <+shosca> if you wanna play ar, go play zerker
[11:18] <Hyginos> and if you want to play zerker, go smc
[11:19] <someone> if you want to play sustain, please go and die in hell

#4 Knowledge70

Knowledge70

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationLower 2100 mmr pilot camp

Posted August 09 2014 - 03:47 PM

No Technicians if there is an Incinerator on the same team.

Or, Technicians are not allowed to heal Incinerators.

Edited by Knowledge70, August 09 2014 - 03:48 PM.

Things and stuff.

#5 Nept

Nept

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

Posted August 09 2014 - 03:49 PM

View PostSylhiri, on August 09 2014 - 03:46 PM, said:

It was always 3 of each class, iirc.

Complaining about Hawken's population_  Read this: https://community.pl...en/#entry524454

Posted Image   

#6 Sylhiri

Sylhiri

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,135 posts

Posted August 09 2014 - 03:55 PM

View PostNept, on August 09 2014 - 03:49 PM, said:

Do you happen to have a list of mechs (on both sides) of each match_

#7 Nept

Nept

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

Posted August 09 2014 - 04:00 PM

View PostSylhiri, on August 09 2014 - 03:55 PM, said:

Do you happen to have a list of mechs (on both sides) of each match_
As interesting as that would be, I don't believe we've access to that information.  We did ask that teams record/take screenshots, but that was for anti-cheat purposes.  Imagine most players/teams deleted those files after the requisite 48 hours.

Posted Image   

#8 Ker4u

Ker4u

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,341 posts
  • LocationLocation Location

Posted August 09 2014 - 04:03 PM

No more than One of each type of Mech is permitted in TPG Matches. Ex: No two Scouts, no two Raiders, etc...
What is the reasoning behind this, any particular set-ups you where afraid of(except incin, this could just be noted as exception)  so it was decided  to limit team compositions so much_
In all the comp games i played  without rules, teams never became heavily stacked.
Craziest was 2incin 2 tech 2 snipers but my team still managed to adapt and counter it.

Only one Mech with the Hellfire Missiles secondary weapon per team is permitted in TPG matches. Ex: If you have a Rocketeer in play, you may not have a Bruiser in play on the same team.
and what is this.. why  2 tows are not banned then_

View PostDerMax, on August 09 2014 - 03:42 PM, said:

I did not participate in TPG, but, after watching the finals, I would like to see the Incinerator banned from the league.
i'd like to see it nerfed already :D

Edited by Ker4u, August 09 2014 - 04:20 PM.

- lok'tar ogar -

#9 Leonhardt

Leonhardt

Rawr

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted August 09 2014 - 04:57 PM

View PostSylhiri, on August 09 2014 - 03:46 PM, said:

Can confirm the rules were always 3 of each class weight since pre-season.

EDIT: My reaction to this comment in picture form because science.

View PostDerMax, on August 09 2014 - 03:42 PM, said:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Edited by Leonhardt, August 09 2014 - 05:05 PM.

Posted Image

#10 ThirdEyE

ThirdEyE

Moderator 007

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 607 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted August 09 2014 - 06:55 PM

In the case of choosing MA, I think the mech restrictions should be loosened (3 of each class, 2 of each type, 1 sabot).  This could allow for more varied team compositions that let teams play more to their strengths rather than requiring all teams to have essentially the same strengths, and also allows more counter-picking.

If TDM is kept, maybe going to 2 of each class without type restrictions would be good.  The problem with restrictions in TDM is more due to varying mech strengths for the mode since survivability is worth much more than mobility, and is really only something that can be resolved with major balance changes.

In the unlikely event of Siege being chosen, I don't even know where to begin for balanced mech restrictions...  Let's just hope not many people want a whole season of Siege!
Posted Image

Offering coaching on all mechs, maps, and gametypes, PM if interested.

Violent Resolution - http://vr-gaming.org/

Hawken IRC - #hawkenscrim

#11 LoC_TR

LoC_TR

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted August 09 2014 - 08:47 PM

posting in the correct place... :D

View PostLoC_TR, on August 09 2014 - 08:41 PM, said:

I already talked to keji about some of this stuff, first and foremost I would like to see the mech compositions changed to 2A 2B 2C. I think this would make the tech a lot less effective because he has less meat to heal. Barring a patch the 3 C's are just too strong right now, Gren, Brawler, and Incin are god tier imho. If I recall correctly the reason they wanted to do 3 of each type was because they thought 3 C's would give you the pushing power to actually make a move. I believe this is a fallacy since you have the same amount of power/health defending. The best defence is a good offense and that works the same even if you have 2 A's, its not like you can just keep back peddling forever, at some point you're going to get backed up into a wall or pincered.

If you're forced to play 2 B's and 2 A's I believe you'll invite a more unpredictable playing field, and/or a faster more mobile one resulting in a faster paced game overall. With the 3 C's you know exactly what you're getting into and it feels like the same battle every time. You may see more teams choose to switch out their tech for another dps if they were down in points as well.

I guess we'll see if we need to completely revamp the rule set if they patch hawken by mid-late september.

Posted Image

vR-Gaming

Raider Vids>>>Twitch Youtube<<<Raider Vids 2500mmr

Fuzzy Bunny Stats

#12 Daronicus

Daronicus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 414 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted August 09 2014 - 09:19 PM

Personally, I'm in favor of moving to 2A/2B/2C just to keep variety alive.  Also, Incin ban.  I think all of the other rules from season one are appropriate, though I'm open to disagreement on everything except scanner.

Edit:  That sounded really harsh and short.  What I mean is that scanner is the only thing I don't think anyone can change my mind on.

Edited by [HFC]Daronicus, August 09 2014 - 09:22 PM.

#13 Nept

Nept

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

Posted August 09 2014 - 09:27 PM

What if it were George Takei_

Posted Image   

#14 Daronicus

Daronicus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 414 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted August 09 2014 - 09:27 PM

Oh my.

#15 Nept

Nept

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

Posted August 09 2014 - 09:29 PM

Posted Image   

#16 Ker4u

Ker4u

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,341 posts
  • LocationLocation Location

Posted August 10 2014 - 12:50 AM

View PostKer4u, on August 09 2014 - 04:03 PM, said:

What is the reasoning behind this, any particular set-ups you where afraid of(except incin, this could just be noted as exception)  so it was decided  to limit team compositions so much_
In all the comp games i played  without rules, teams never became heavily stacked.
Craziest was 2incin 2 tech 2 snipers but my team still managed to adapt and counter it.

someone enlighten euro noob plz (or did hfc just decided it to do this way and everyone followed), especially hellfire ban.

Edited by Ker4u, August 10 2014 - 12:52 AM.

- lok'tar ogar -

#17 Daronicus

Daronicus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 414 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted August 10 2014 - 06:19 AM

View PostKer4u, on August 10 2014 - 12:50 AM, said:

View PostKer4u, on August 09 2014 - 04:03 PM, said:

someone enlighten euro noob plz (or did hfc just decided it to do this way and everyone followed), especially hellfire ban.

The reason was that we wanted actual engagements to happen, and our experience with having multiple hellfires and multiple SABOTs  was that the game turned into long-distance stalemates where you couldn't move across open ground (especially on certain maps).  Furthermore, due to the amount of mechs with a TOW as their secondary, it really isn't feasible to only have one on the field.  That would force teams' hands way too much when it comes to mech choice.

Mech/item restrictions really aren't about "fairness" or anything of the like.  They're mostly about ensuring that the game has an enjoyable flow without conferring too much of an advantage to defensive teams (that is to say, the team that is in the lead).

Edited by [HFC]Daronicus, August 10 2014 - 06:19 AM.

#18 Dew

Dew

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted August 10 2014 - 09:49 AM

I wouldn't mind a switch to 2A/2B/2C, but I don't think the Tech should be included in those restrictions. If someone wants to run Tech/Zerker/Reaper or whatever (not that I think most teams would field a Reaper over SS), I think that should be valid.

#19 Sylhiri

Sylhiri

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,135 posts

Posted August 10 2014 - 09:55 AM

View PostDew, on August 10 2014 - 09:49 AM, said:

I wouldn't mind a switch to 2A/2B/2C, but I don't think the Tech should be included in those restrictions.

Why_

#20 Hyginos

Hyginos

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted August 10 2014 - 05:12 PM

It may be prudent to refrain from updating any mech and item rules until a game type is decided and some tests scrims can be run. Much of my experience at least is very heavily biased based on what occurs in TDM.
On second thought let's not go to #hawkenscrim. Tis a silly place.
Watch me pretend to be good at Hawken (Twitch).
...And recordings thereof (Youtube)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users