HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Siege balance is too fragile

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#41 alpha78

alpha78

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • LocationProsk

Posted October 19 2014 - 03:12 PM

I agree that a lot of this is beyond the scope of any game mechanic as a solution.  Probably wouldn't be so much of an issue with a larger player base etc. etc. etc.  M4st0d0n is right in that there are a LOT of in game clues as to what you're supposed to be doing.  Can't really say that it's the game that doesn't tell players how to play the mode.  Now whether it's purposeful ignorance or stupidity is another issue entirely.  

I said a long time ago that kills shouldn't even be shown in a siege match.  All that really matters is the team win at the end.  Used to be worse as they showed K/D etc. right on the scoreboard at the end of the siege match.  At least they took that out.  I really don't think a lot of the people I've seen are doing it on purpose.  I have seen vets that are obviously more concerned with playing a tdm in a siege match because they know the players on the opposing team.  That's not been that often.  What I see is what I assume are either new people or people who just don't know what they're doing and seem to not care too much about it.  

I know one player even rage quit when everyone was telling them to get into the AA and said something along the lines of "if being inside that stupid circle is a requirement to play this game then F U".  I think sometimes it's honestly a fear of getting killed at the AA.  I always say things like "you respawn you know_".  I wish they would speed up the respawn for siege.  Having to sit there and wait to respawn might contribute to the reluctance to get in the heat of things at the AA.

Whatever, it seems that with the lack of dev involvement in the game in general lately, all this is fairly moot.

#42 comic_sans

comic_sans

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,116 posts
  • LocationI dunno!

Posted October 19 2014 - 03:30 PM

alpha78, on October 19 2014 - 03:12 PM, said:

I have seen vets that are obviously more concerned with playing a tdm in a siege match because they know the players on the opposing team.  That's not been that often.

Guilty!

#43 wolfrock

wolfrock

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationThere's beaches in Canada

Posted October 19 2014 - 03:54 PM

I'm actually pretty happy with siege mode. There are many valid strategies and playstyles, some of which I hate (and were previously mentioned) but all are valid in the right situation. Some sniper exploiting the map in Front Line_ Go ahead if you think that's fun, there's a counter to that. Preds_ Why not_ Do you really need 6 at AA when your team's ship is up_ Is it better to get aggressive at the enemy base instead_ Shoot the ship_ It's all risk vs reward. There are lots of ways to win, and personal stats for the winners can be all over the place and it can still work out. I like how fragile the match is, and like the major turning points in the game. It's all good, being down 2000 pts you still have a chance if the teams are balanced.
TAW.net - good times.
Watch the wolfrock stream on Twitch!
War Wednesdays

#44 FlamingBeaker

FlamingBeaker

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted October 19 2014 - 04:19 PM

It's the "If the teams are balanced..." thing that is the majority of problems with all gametypes in Hawken, currently.

Although I must admit that as the MMR spread on each server has widened (due to fewer players), I see more upper-tier players get mixed in with the lower tier players - sometimes you learn faster when it's sink-or-swim. I missed that after Hawken went to Steam and the player population shot up. I still get a thrill when I see a forum poster on the scoreboard, but that's just me.

#45 M4st0d0n

M4st0d0n

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 770 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted October 20 2014 - 06:57 AM

Yep all of this is pretty moot. We should stop pointlessly writing about Siege during the coffee break. Arg no I cant stop writing, and this coffee is so good...

There's a Siege mode in Smite, its in beta and, hell this layout makes me think about Hawken. But done right. Resources are meaningful, not over abundant, not given passively. And its a MOBA, you pick your role, points are allowed for objectives and kills, death is penalized with a long respawn. Matchmaker is bad, but you cant fly away from server to server and there's an option to vote for surrender instead of endlessly feeding.

All in all, if the game isnt played as it was intended, that's a matter of basic gamedesign. With a pinball machine, if you try to break it, it tilts. If you lost your ball it plays a sad chiptune. If you hit something, it blinks and makes you score. It's like those guys you can find up high on Frontline using the wall's glitch. To discover the glitch you just have to do the VR tutorial. First wall raised, the girl say "Hmm cowboy, there's a height limit, you cant pass that". Just to be sure, you try it. You're stuck in the middle of it, another jump and you're on the top of it. GG tutorial. GG Adhesive.

#46 PoopSlinger

PoopSlinger

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  • LocationWestern Wisconsin

Posted October 20 2014 - 08:43 AM

I played the best siege game Saturday on Last Eco.  The only name i can remember from my team as Ssbbsnowdog or something like that.  It was going to be a total blowout so at about 3000-2300 I helped the other team.   Running 200 eu as a raider into their base over and over.  I would EMP my team and drop all my health orbs on their side of the pyramid before scooting away.  By collecting eu for them becuase my team was killing them before they could load up, dropping them health orbs to stop our ship and just not fighting in general the game was closer.  I finally started fighting when it was like 1000-1200 and they had a ship up.  We stopped their ship with 131 and our next ship beat theirs and we won.  I sucessfully manufactured a very close game.  Siege

#47 mittens800

mittens800

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted October 20 2014 - 09:11 AM

PoopSlinger, on October 20 2014 - 08:43 AM, said:

I played the best siege game Saturday on Last Eco.  The only name i can remember from my team as Ssbbsnowdog or something like that.  It was going to be a total blowout so at about 3000-2300 I helped the other team.   Running 200 eu as a raider into their base over and over.  I would EMP my team and drop all my health orbs on their side of the pyramid before scooting away.  By collecting eu for them becuase my team was killing them before they could load up, dropping them health orbs to stop our ship and just not fighting in general the game was closer.  I finally started fighting when it was like 1000-1200 and they had a ship up.  We stopped their ship with 131 and our next ship beat theirs and we won.  I sucessfully manufactured a very close game.  Siege

You win Hawken.
Best thing I've read on this forum in a long time.

Edited by mittens800, October 20 2014 - 09:11 AM.

#48 SBBSSNOWDOG

SBBSSNOWDOG

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted October 21 2014 - 07:47 AM

Well Greetings from SBBSSNOWDOG to my friends and one and all. It was as poopslinger pointed out  a very good match, and I am always amazed at how my perspectives are enlighten in Hawken. A match that  was so tipped in balance was made even by his efforts, and what I thought would be a quick daily run, turned out to be a 45 minute game. Enjoyed the match, not the EMP's :)
Good luck....have Fun!

#49 StubbornPuppet

StubbornPuppet

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted October 21 2014 - 12:03 PM

And for anyone that gives up on a Siege match;  Last night I came in to a match where the score was 1950 to 435 and the enemy ship was in the air.  I figure, "we're screwed"... but I've seen it before, let's go.  Our team pulled it together and managed to turn it around and claim a victory of 194 - 0.    That is fun.

#50 mittens800

mittens800

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted October 21 2014 - 12:55 PM

But again, was this "team" a new team because half or more of the original team rage quit_

#51 SBBSSNOWDOG

SBBSSNOWDOG

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted October 21 2014 - 02:33 PM

My first thoughts were within Seige that most people dont read the rules /objectives of the game. They are concerned about their MMR rating, dont understand about managing/controling the AA, etc. I found out in some matches, that people understand the rules of engagement, but choose to ignore them. As mentioned before...Hawken brings enlightenment!

#52 Massive_Assailant_Stingray

Massive_Assailant_Stingray

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted October 21 2014 - 03:12 PM

Play more MA, imo.

#53 Call_Me_Ishmael

Call_Me_Ishmael

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 399 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas, baby.

Posted October 21 2014 - 03:26 PM

They fuzzy bunny that up, too.
Posted Image

#54 StubbornPuppet

StubbornPuppet

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted October 21 2014 - 05:24 PM

mittens800, on October 21 2014 - 12:55 PM, said:

But again, was this "team" a new team because half or more of the original team rage quit_
I emphasized team to make absolutely certain that I am not taking credit for anything more than not giving up.  I don't recall any players rage quitting after I joined and I think I was the 6th player.  My point was that Siege can be incredibly dynamic and that it's not over until it's over.

#55 M4st0d0n

M4st0d0n

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 770 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted October 22 2014 - 04:53 AM

I wont call it dynamic. I'll call it random. Sometimes you throw a dice and its a 6, sometimes matchmaker's screwed, half the team QQed and the rest dont play objectives. Nobody should have to watch this mess for another 45 min. I played yesterday three matches. Lobby was full. Three victories, 3000-0. No one was fed, all went clean and smooth with AA control and decent teamwork.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users